Guest guest36187

Hi Lorraine

well the extra exciting piece of news is that we have just signed a contract to buy a block of land in Somers (western port) side. we will be having a house built and now move into the house building waiting room!

We have been in Safety beach since July living with our daughter, we like Mt Martha and Mornington but unfortunately the housing market is on fire down here at the moment and we just can't get what we want. We,ve taken the plunge changed some of our sterling as prices rising so quickly it makes more sense that way. Good luck with your application. Keep in touch.

Julie

Congratulations, Somers is beautiful we did a house sit in January and really enjoyed it. Beautiful beach and good road links. Good luck with the build Lorraine

Guest geordie joe
Hi guys,

I have just rung centrelink and said that it's taken 5 weeks and I have not heard anything from them. The guy on the phone was not very helpful. What I got out of the 1 hour wait was that I have to wait and the wait can be up to 2 months. He did the general spill of "I know it is frustrating and there is nothing within his control." I hope this helps everyone. 2 months for a 10 minute phone call to be honest sounds like a joke to me.

Having a similar problem. My daughter lodged our AOS application on September 1st, when she hadn't heard anything she rang at the end of September and after being on hold for over an hour finally spoke to someone. She was informed that Centrelink hadn't uploaded the documents correctly, but the good news they still had copies on their system and did it that day. The lady apologised and said it would be treated as priority. She never heard anything so rang again 20th October again on hold for over an hour only to be told it would be a priority. Again silence followed, so she rang yet again on 11th November on hold for the obligatory hour and was given the same apology and it would be escalated and no it wasn't possible to speak to a senior manager. Finally this week she spoke to someone who took ownership and identified the priority requests had been sent to the wrong department 3 times. Promised the interview would happen within 3 days, 30 minutes later she had a call. She's now waiting for the letter to open the account, all very very frustrating.

The staff must be really under pressure with the increased applicants they are having to deal with. I'm sure one day we will all laugh about this.. hopefully in a happy way.

Joe

Having a similar problem. My daughter lodged our AOS application on September 1st, when she hadn't heard anything she rang at the end of September and after being on hold for over an hour finally spoke to someone. She was informed that Centrelink hadn't uploaded the documents correctly, but the good news they still had copies on their system and did it that day. The lady apologised and said it would be treated as priority. She never heard anything so rang again 20th October again on hold for over an hour only to be told it would be a priority. Again silence followed, so she rang yet again on 11th November on hold for the obligatory hour and was given the same apology and it would be escalated and no it wasn't possible to speak to a senior manager. Finally this week she spoke to someone who took ownership and identified the priority requests had been sent to the wrong department 3 times. Promised the interview would happen within 3 days, 30 minutes later she had a call. She's now waiting for the letter to open the account, all very very frustrating.

The staff must be really under pressure with the increased applicants they are having to deal with. I'm sure one day we will all laugh about this.. hopefully in a happy way.

Joe

Hi Joe

just about identical to what we went through!

it's a complete shambles, it,s the last thing we all need after the wait we have all endured. It does happen eventually though!

Julie

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. It is an amazing feeling and such a relief to be able to plan our future now that we know we are back in control and not in the hands of immigration.

we are sleeping like babies and enjoying our short break in NZ, I even got into a kayak for the first time yesterday! It will be all systems go next week, .centrelink for Medicare, tax file numbers, go to bank and upgrade account from migrant account, whoopee should get an Oz credit card, sign contract with builder. Exciting times.

good luck to everyone left in the waiting room, I shall be hanging around the door for a while just to make sure a few more of you are let out soon.

Julie

Hi Geordie joe,

Thanks for the detailed explanation on what to expect with the AOS. You mentioned that your daughter applied for the AOS on 1st Sep. Did they request the Medicals and police requests also at the same time , and if so was it like august end? I'm just asking bcos my mum is planning her 2017 December holiday in advance and she was thinking she can stay for some time in Aussie.

Judy.

Guest geordie joe
Hi Geordie joe,

Thanks for the detailed explanation on what to expect with the AOS. You mentioned that your daughter applied for the AOS on 1st Sep. Did they request the Medicals and police requests also at the same time , and if so was it like august end? I'm just asking bcos my mum is planning her 2017 December holiday in advance and she was thinking she can stay for some time in Aussie.

Judy.

Hi Judy,

I asked immi at the end of August if we could do the AOS early due to my daughters work commitments. They were extremely helpful and emailed me the AOS request, they also gave us our hap id's so we could do the medicals at the same time. The medicals were easy to sort through BUPA in Perth but unfortunately it all went wrong with centre link. Just remember you don't want to do the medicals and police checks too early as they are only valid for 12 months. Hopefully not much longer and we should be able to leave the waiting room.

Joe

Hi Judy,

I asked immi at the end of August if we could do the AOS early due to my daughters work commitments. They were extremely helpful and emailed me the AOS request, they also gave us our hap id's so we could do the medicals at the same time. The medicals were easy to sort through BUPA in Perth but unfortunately it all went wrong with centre link. Just remember you don't want to do the medicals and police checks too early as they are only valid for 12 months. Hopefully not much longer and we should be able to leave the waiting room.

Joe

Thanks Joe, that gives me a good idea about the timing. I need my parents to come in early 2018 to help out with my daughters schooling in Perth. And also... Yes we are hoping all the 2014 lodgers would move out quickly. There is a big list of forum members for 2015.

Cheers

Judy.

I thought I would share our experience with the Onshore Contributory Aged Parent Visa 864. As the name implies it is only available to applicants over 65. If you meet this criterion the waiting time is much shorter than the 143 visa, typically between 6 and 12 months depending on when in the year you apply. We actually started out with a 143 application but switched to the 864 visa when we saw the 143 queue lengthening.

The other issue is that you have to be in Australia when you submit the application and when the visa is granted. You can stay in Australia whilst you are waiting for approval and will automatically be granted a bridging visa. It can be restrictive if you want to leave Australia with a bridging visa but you can avoid this by leaving whilst your visitor visa is still valid, which is what we did.

Like many others we found Centrelink dreadful, taking nearly 3 months to process our daughter’s AOS. To their credit the Parent Visa office then only took 4 days to grant our visa once they had the AOS confirmation!

Dave

Did someone just slam the waiting room door????? Oh yes it was me on my way out. VISA GRANTED!!!!!!! Whoopee!

can,t believe it after all this time, Thinking of you Sadge, Tien, Steve 1 and Geordie Joe it will soon be your turn.

Julie

Hi Julie, FANTASTIC news! Congrats to you both, feels a relief doesn't it! Enjoy your new life here :-) it's been some journey hasn't it!!

All the best, Amanda

We are officially out of the waiting room. Yayyyy. Thank you eveyone for your advices. We hope the process will be getting faster and faster

Congratulations. Best wishes for your new life. There are a few of us just behind you on that bench - seems that IMMI might be catching up.

We are officially out of the waiting room. Yayyyy. Thank you eveyone for your advices. We hope the process will be getting faster and faster

Great news - congratulations!

Now dare I do a big run up and shoulder barge that b****y door wide open for the rest of us?!!

Guest geordie joe

Fantastic news Tien, good luck to you and your family.

Hi Amanda

are you in Oz? It's a great feeling, such a relief. We have just purchased a block of lan d to build. House prices are going thro the roof here so we have taken the plunge, hopefully it is the right decision. Just got to find somewhere to live now for the next 12 months or so. Good luck with everything and thanks for your company in the waiting room.

Julie