Guest guest36187

Hi Sadge

UPP,s that's a really good question. The ATO say that some foreign pensions or annuities qualify for an allowance somewhere from 8 to 25 percent depending on which country it is coming from and your personal circumstances. So it's a bit like getting a small tax concession. There is a five page application form that you have to complete (I think you have to do one for each pension ugh). It then goes off to the ATO who will make a decision. You need to provide info from your pension provider, not exactly sure what..... Fisher if you are reading this, do you know have any further info...?

Julie

Hi Sadge

UPP,s that's a really good question. The ATO say that some foreign pensions or annuities qualify for an allowance somewhere from 8 to 25 percent depending on which country it is coming from and your personal circumstances. So it's a bit like getting a small tax concession. There is a five page application form that you have to complete (I think you have to do one for each pension ugh). It then goes off to the ATO who will make a decision. You need to provide info from your pension provider, not exactly sure what..... Fisher if you are reading this, do you know have any further info...?

Julie

Thanks Julie, added to my list!

What's UPPS Julie?

Hi Sadge.

UPP = Undeducted Purchase Price.

The UPP of pension income is the amount you can claim as a tax deduction to reduce the net taxable amount on your Australian tax return.

Don't forget the Tax Treaty form too: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/double-taxation-united-kingdomaustralia-si-2003-number-3199-form-australia-individual-2003

Best regards.

Hi Sadge.

UPP = Undeducted Purchase Price.

The UPP of pension income is the amount you can claim as a tax deduction to reduce the net taxable amount on your Australian tax return.

Don't forget the Tax Treaty form too: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/double-taxation-united-kingdomaustralia-si-2003-number-3199-form-australia-individual-2003

Best regards.

Thanks Alan.

Hey Fisher and all,

Wow that's so much information that I had never even heard of. Firstly big congratulations to the visa grants, wonderful new. Secondly, following the posts on this forum the one thing that I did notice is what a friendly group of people you all are. Which is why I took the plunge and signed up. It is a lonely and stressful period to apply and wait for so long when all you want to do is be with your child/children, sharing your experiences with others makes it a better journey.

Cheers

Nita

Hey Fisher and all,

Wow that's so much information that I had never even heard of. Firstly big congratulations to the visa grants, wonderful new. Secondly, following the posts on this forum the one thing that I did notice is what a friendly group of people you all are. Which is why I took the plunge and signed up. It is a lonely and stressful period to apply and wait for so long when all you want to do is be with your child/children, sharing your experiences with others makes it a better journey.

Cheers

Nita

Welcome Nita. I agree with your sentiments, everyone is very helpful and I'm carefully storing all these little snippets of information which I'm certain will be invaluable once I get there. I am so glad I came across this forum - those who have been through/completed the process do make this journey much smoother and it helps that others are treading the same path!

Sadge

Hi

I have my mum who is 84 over here on 804 class she has brought into a retirement village and is very happy she has been here for 13 month gets her medicare as she is from UK. I went through an agent over here that was very helpful it cost my mum about $6000.

Hope this help

Nicki

Hi Nicki,

I've been thinking of a retirement village too, so would be interested to hear how she is enjoying it. Perhaps you could PM me?

Sadge

Hi Sadge

Julie

hi Julie, hi all,

There was another thread about this recently - search 'UPP on private pensions' and you should get it. It seems that you can claim the 8% on private pensions if you can prove your contribution. I had a quick look at the UPP form:

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/SPR/downloads/spr19285n16543_01_2015.pdf

and it did look too terrifying, just the usual fiddly time-consuming stuff. From reading the posts on the other thread it seems like it all hinges on getting the information about your contributions from your pension provider. I'm going to try and collate this info after Christmas because, given that at least one request will be in French, I figure I'll be better off getting started while I'm still in the UK and can actually turn up in person if I think it might help.

I'll post any useful nuggets of info on here.

hi Julie, hi all,

There was another thread about this recently - search 'UPP on private pensions' and you should get it. It seems that you can claim the 8% on private pensions if you can prove your contribution. I had a quick look at the UPP form:

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/SPR/downloads/spr19285n16543_01_2015.pdf

and it did look too terrifying, just the usual fiddly time-consuming stuff. From reading the posts on the other thread it seems like it all hinges on getting the information about your contributions from your pension provider. I'm going to try and collate this info after Christmas because, given that at least one request will be in French, I figure I'll be better off getting started while I'm still in the UK and can actually turn up in person if I think it might help.

Sorry all, that should have said it DIDNT look too terrifying

hi Julie, hi all,

Note that the 8% UPP pertains to the UK State Pension, not to a private pension or employer sponsored pension.

Best regards.

Hi all

Sorry for bothering but i just have a question: My parents have been travelling back and forth to Australia on visitor visa in the past 10 years. they just got granted PR on 5th December 2016. For citizenship requirements, will they have to wait for another 4 years or the period before would have been accumulated as well?

Hi all

Sorry for bothering but i just have a question: My parents have been travelling back and forth to Australia on visitor visa in the past 10 years. they just got granted PR on 5th December 2016. For citizenship requirements, will they have to wait for another 4 years or the period before would have been accumulated as well?

If all the previous travels were on visitor visas then they won't count towards the residence requirements and have to wait 4 more years.

PVC not responding to status e-mails? It's been several days. Anyone getting through?

If the date hasn't been changed since you last had a response, then you won't get another one. Try again Thurs/Fri, it might have changed by then. It's only worth trying once a week because they generally only seem to change the date once a week, though very very occasionally it's been twice in one week.

If all the previous travels were on visitor visas then they won't count towards the residence requirements and have to wait 4 more years.
That's incorrect. As long as they held a valid visa during the 4 years prior to application and didn't spend more than 1 year outside Australia, including no more than 3 months in the final year, then they would meet the residency requirement.

That's incorrect. As long as they held a valid visa during the 4 years prior to application and didn't spend more than 1 year outside Australia, including no more than 3 months in the final year, then they would meet the residency requirement.

Interesting. Visit visas aren't "resident" (temporary or otherwise) visas though. Didn't know they counted towards residency requirements.

Interesting. Visit visas aren't "resident" (temporary or otherwise) visas though. Didn't know they counted towards residency requirements.

You are correct . Visitor visas don't count as residency for PR. I have a friend who checked from immi. They said tourist visas didn't count. She was asked to key in her parents earliest resident arrival date on the citizenship date calculator and then apply after 4 years.