Guest guest36187

Hi Julie

As I'm still stuck in the UK for family reasons (yet another waiting room - have visa can't move!!!) we are trying to sort out lots of the paperwork ahead of time, also get our heads round what we have to do when we arrive.

I'm particularly interested in the application of Aussie income tax. We've already had a breakdown of our tax situation from an advisor (thank you Alan Collett for your great service) so I'm gatherin the info we need for Tax reduction on our pensions, but I'm really unclear about the timeline for actually paying anything.

Do do you go to a tax office and 'sign on' in some way, or do they contact you or what? Similarly Medicare ... any pointers gratefully received - the better prepared we are the more time (and possibly money) it may save us later!

Hi Fisher

you can apply for a tax file number online from the ATO once you are in Oz, it will then take about two weeks for it to come through. you need a tax file number to change your bank account from a migrant account to an ordinary residents account, you can then get a debit card and a credit card. I think they contact you to ask you to do a return at the end of the year 30 June. Medicare is easy, complete the form, you can put both of you on one card, you will need your passports and copy of visa grant. Take all this into your local Medicare office which is usually combined with Centrelink and they will give you a temp card and post another one on to you in about a week. I'll let you know what happens next as I'm waiting for everything to come in the post. Just got to sort out HMRC now! Got to do driving licence and get senior card, got to find the right time to phone UK state pension service, the time difference is a real pain. I'll keep you posted with other stuff as I come across it.

Julie

Hi Fisher

you can apply for a tax file number online from the ATO once you are in Oz, it will then take about two weeks for it to come through. you need a tax file number to change your bank account from a migrant account to an ordinary residents account, you can then get a debit card and a credit card. I think they contact you to ask you to do a return at the end of the year 30 June. Medicare is easy, complete the form, you can put both of you on one card, you will need your passports and copy of visa grant. Take all this into your local Medicare office which is usually combined with Centrelink and they will give you a temp card and post another one on to you in about a week. I'll let you know what happens next as I'm waiting for everything to come in the post. Just got to sort out HMRC now! Got to do driving licence and get senior card, got to find the right time to phone UK state pension service, the time difference is a real pain. I'll keep you posted with other stuff as I come across it.

Julie

"like". Thanks Julie

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 30 July 2014.

Hopefully, date will move further in the this Friday update if they publish :cool:

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 30 July 2014.

ONSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 864 and 884)

When your application is allocated to a case officer, you or your authorised contact will be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to Assurance of Support (subclass 864 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to 27 May 2016.

TEMPORARY TO PERMANENT APPLICANTS (subclass 173 to 143 and 884 to 864)

When your application is allocated to a case officer, you or your authorised contact will be asked to provide more documents including but not limited to Assurance of Support, police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to 4 February 2016.

The TR to PR processing date hasn't moved in weeks but the other dates are moving a tad faster than usual. They may have assigned more resources to first time applications. Which is good as people on TR visas are already in the country.

Hi Fisher

Julie

"Like" from me too Julie, copied & pasted into my "Useful bits of Info" file - Thank you!

Hey all,

I just wanted to say a massive congrats to all 2014's we have had their visa grants. After much ummimg and r img I decided to join up because you guys all seem to be one massive family. This is my first post post but it I have been following some of the journey that you have been on.

My husband and I applied just before the referendum because it seemed the right time for us even though I am a couple of years below 50, he is slightly above. For us it was the best option.

I have a question; how do you know/ or when do you decide that it is right time to start selling up, planning the move etc without having the visa granted? We love our house and would be too scared to sell it without the assurance that our visa will be granted. I realise that this is different for everyone but your thoughts/ experiences will be grateful.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Hope all are well. This is my first post, and I wanted some guidance. I am currently in process of initiating the visa process for subclass 143 for both my parents. I wanted to confirm if I need to submit one form P47PA for both parents, or separate ones for each. Based on this, will I need to pay first fee charge based on main applicant and additional applicant, or separate for both?

Thanks for your help.

Hey all,

I just wanted to say a massive congrats to all 2014's we have had their visa grants. After much ummimg and r img I decided to join up because you guys all seem to be one massive family. This is my first post post but it I have been following some of the journey that you have been on.

My husband and I applied just before the referendum because it seemed the right time for us even though I am a couple of years below 50, he is slightly above. For us it was the best option.

I have a question; how do you know/ or when do you decide that it is right time to start selling up, planning the move etc without having the visa granted? We love our house and would be too scared to sell it without the assurance that our visa will be granted. I realise that this is different for everyone but your thoughts/ experiences will be grateful.

Cheers.

Hi Nita

Welcome to the forum. You have asked a really tough question and there will be lots of different opinions. Your sentence that says you would be too scared to sell your home without the assurance that the visa would be granted really sums it up for you. Have you applied direct to IMMI or are you going thro an agent? Have you had an assessment of your application by an Agent? Is your case complicated, do you have health or issues that might crop up on police report? If you have any of these issues then I would wait until visa granted before you sell. If your case is straight forward then go for selling. There is of course the unknown factor.... you could develop a serious illness whilst in the waiting room that could affect the outcome of your visa. our application was straight forward and we planned our sale to complete to the maximum time scale advised by IMM i.e. 24mths. It took 29mths and we have had had to find money for 5/6 months of furniture storage, two offshore trips to NZ and other stuff too tedious to mention. We did all of this because our property combined a business and was an unusual sale. If you think your house will sell quickly then I would leave selling until you are nearing the final stages of the process, i.e. Being asked for police reports and medicals. It's a personal thing and there will be many different view points. At the end of the day you are the only one who really knows your own circumstances. Good luck with it all.

Julie

Hi Julie 1499,

Thank-you for your reply.

We are lucky that our case is not complicated. We haven't applied through agent, being the holder of two law degrees, my husband said I was quite capable of filing the form in. Also, my son had applied for PR without the need of an agent so we decided to go it alone. Thankfully, I am in really good health and am quite active, gym, yoga and swimming. My husband has a few minor issues but the gym, yoga and swimming should help. We have been told our house should sell quickly.

I think you hit the nail on the head everyone's case is different and personal to them. When we applied the wait was approximately 24 months but as we have realised in reality it is much longer. At the moment we are quite busy so the time should go quickly but it is a long wait and there will come the time when we just want to get on with it (the move),which is why I asked about other experiences.

Thanks again for your reply,

Nita

Hi Julie 1499,

Thank-you for your reply.

We are lucky that our case is not complicated. We haven't applied through agent, being the holder of two law degrees, my husband said I was quite capable of filing the form in. Also, my son had applied for PR without the need of an agent so we decided to go it alone. Thankfully, I am in really good health and am quite active, gym, yoga and swimming. My husband has a few minor issues but the gym, yoga and swimming should help. We have been told our house should sell quickly.

I think you hit the nail on the head everyone's case is different and personal to them. When we applied the wait was approximately 24 months but as we have realised in reality it is much longer. At the moment we are quite busy so the time should go quickly but it is a long wait and there will come the time when we just want to get on with it (the move),which is why I asked about other experiences.

Thanks again for your reply,

Nita

Hi Nita

We didn't use an agent either, and although it was quite stressful at times there was nothing too complicated in the process - most of it was just waiting. The stressful bit came (for us) at the end, when we were asked to supply form 80 and police checks, organise medicals and get our daughter to organis AOS (assurance of support) within a 28 day deadline.

Things I wish I had done differently? I would have filled in form 80 earlier. It's mostly repetition of the information you provide in your original application but is time consuming. The question that threw me was the one asking for dates and destinations of all countries visited outside your home country during the ten years prior to the date immigration request form 80. Liberal use of the word "approximately" worked for me but still it's a lot to recall. I would also have organised my police checks earlier. Not too early as they are only valid for a year, but certainly I would have done them the second the request arrived. UK police checks take an incredible ten working days so a delay of just a few days turns them into something to stress about.

I am currently stuck in the UK for family reasons, but if my removal had been straghtforward, we would have still waited to sell our house until the visa came through, as we love our house and would have hated to have to rent somewhere for months, not to mention the cost of a 'double' move. On the other hand, we have he the experience of selling our house and renting for a year prior to a move back to the UK some years ago, and there is a lot to be said for having everything in place to enable a move exactly when you are ready to go. As Julie said, it's an individual thing. Whatever you decide, good luck with it, and welcome to the waiting room!

Hey Fisher1,

Thank-you for your message and to be honest I can't believe we are in the waiting room.

It really does help having an insight to the process. In our circumstances at the moment we are not ready even if the visa came tomorrow. However, that doesn't mean we are complacent and having your words of wisdom on being prepared are very helpful. iIf you are in the UK over Christmas, hope you have a very merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Nita

Guest geordie joe
Hi all

Oh well, here it is

woooohoooooo!!!

Visa granted today 15 December!

Good luck to all those still waiting and hang on in there!

Great news, and enjoy what's left of your holiday mate, time for the champagne

Hey Fisher1,

Thank-you for your message and to be honest I can't believe we are in the waiting room.

It really does help having an insight to the process. In our circumstances at the moment we are not ready even if the visa came tomorrow. However, that doesn't mean we are complacent and having your words of wisdom on being prepared are very helpful. iIf you are in the UK over Christmas, hope you have a very merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Nita

Happy Christmas to you too Nita. As you go through this process you'll find most people on here ready to offer information, help & moral support. Your questions will change but you'll be so glad of the accumulated knowledge on here. I've moved on from asking about form 80 to asking about UPPs (don't ask :-) This is w wonderful site and you'll always find someone to help you out.

Hi Fisher

interesting you mentioned UPP,s that's next on my list. I know it's OK on a state pension, do you have any info on pensions other than UK state?

tax file numbers came through this week, still waiting for Medicare. We went straight off to the bank, no problems changing the account from a migrant account, no problem with getting a debit card. A credit card is a different matter, they want Oz regular income, foreign income doesn't count. All our pensions going into UK bank account. The bank then said that if they could see regular income coming in every month from UK they would consider it! Unfortunately that's just what we are trying to avoid as we want to change our money as and when the rate is OK. Living off a lump sum at the moment. Anyway another interesting thing we learnt is that by going into our local branch we could obtain a better interest on our Oz savings than those advertised on their website.

just heard that our container sailed on Tuesday, is off Northern Spain at the moment, arriving Melbourne 23 January. Only problem is we don't have a property to put the furniturei in! Oops don't panic Mr Mannering!

Happy Xmas to everyone in and out of the waiting room.

Julie

Hi Fisher

interesting you mentioned UPP,s that's next on my list. I know it's OK on a state pension, do you have any info on pensions other than UK state?

tax file numbers came through this week, still waiting for Medicare. We went straight off to the bank, no problems changing the account from a migrant account, no problem with getting a debit card. A credit card is a different matter, they want Oz regular income, foreign income doesn't count. All our pensions going into UK bank account. The bank then said that if they could see regular income coming in every month from UK they would consider it! Unfortunately that's just what we are trying to avoid as we want to change our money as and when the rate is OK. Living off a lump sum at the moment. Anyway another interesting thing we learnt is that by going into our local branch we could obtain a better interest on our Oz savings than those advertised on their website.

just heard that our container sailed on Tuesday, is off Northern Spain at the moment, arriving Melbourne 23 January. Only problem is we don't have a property to put the furniturei in! Oops don't panic Mr Mannering!

Happy Xmas to everyone in and out of the waiting room.

Julie

How lovely for you to be almost over all the hurdles, I will watch your progress on here re tax, pensions etc and hope your furniture arrives safely and you can find an inexpensive way of storing it until your house is built.

Happy Christmas to all new and older (sorry should say more experienced) members.