Guest guest36187

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .

You can appeal as the legislation says that your supported has to have settled in Australia. The 2 year aspect is just a rough and ready indication. Speak to a migration agent as they may be able to advise you if it is woth appealing at this stage. They probably will not charge for an initial consulation.

Best of luck

Charlie

Guest chicklet

I am travelling to Adelaide on the 6th march to validate my 143 visa but having to return on the 7th may to try and sell my property. I have booked flights with Singapore Airlines and when I spoke to someone at their office they said I could only have an extra 5 kg baggage allowance. I have however in the past read on PIO that other people have been allowed an extra 20kgs.I wonder therefore if anyone reading this has managed to get the extra 20kgs and who they contacted. Also did you get it in writing or on an email as I will be going to the airport on my own so would have no one to give my excess baggage to if I was not allowed to take it with me. Hoping someone may be able to help me on this point.

I am travelling to Adelaide on the 6th march to validate my 143 visa but having to return on the 7th may to try and sell my property. I have booked flights with Singapore Airlines and when I spoke to someone at their office they said I could only have an extra 5 kg baggage allowance. I have however in the past read on PIO that other people have been allowed an extra 20kgs.I wonder therefore if anyone reading this has managed to get the extra 20kgs and who they contacted. Also did you get it in writing or on an email as I will be going to the airport on my own so would have no one to give my excess baggage to if I was not allowed to take it with me. Hoping someone may be able to help me on this point.

Hi Chicklet, We flew with Singapore in December to validate our 173 CPV and emailed a few weeks beforehand to ask if they would upgrade our baggage allowance. The reply we were given was that the 173 was only a temporary visa and therefore was not eligable for the extra 10kgs. Not to give up quite so easily, I then emailed back to say how very disappointed I was at their decision and also regretted booking with them as Emirates give 30kgs as standard in economy and would never book with them again. Needless to say that I got my 30kgs each BUT only on the outbound sector, our return allowance was the usual 20kgs. It didnt matter too much as we used the extra weight for Christmas presents etc. and it didnt cost me anything to try again.

I see you have a 143 so I cant understand why they would deny you the extra. Have a go at emailing, I think I used their feedback form on their website. I printed off the reply just in case we had a problem at check-in but it was all fine.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck! Val

Guest chicklet

Hi Vava Thanks for your reply and I have managed to ring Singapore Airlines and they have told me to contact them again when I get my E ticket for my flight and I should be given extra baggage allowance but not sure how much as yet. I have been on their web site and checked that I can have 7kgs cabin baggage and a handbag.I could not find an email address anywhere for Singapore airlines but even Austravel said I should be entitled to more than the 20kgs.I will let you know how I go on and when are you hoping to move to Oz for good. I want to go as soon as I can sell my property but I am like many other people at the moment in limbo.I am just now looking foreward to seeing my daughter and son in law as it is 2 years since I was last in Oz.

Cheers

Chicklet

Hi Vava Thanks for your reply and I have managed to ring Singapore Airlines and they have told me to contact them again when I get my E ticket for my flight and I should be given extra baggage allowance but not sure how much as yet. I have been on their web site and checked that I can have 7kgs cabin baggage and a handbag.I could not find an email address anywhere for Singapore airlines but even Austravel said I should be entitled to more than the 20kgs.I will let you know how I go on and when are you hoping to move to Oz for good. I want to go as soon as I can sell my property but I am like many other people at the moment in limbo.I am just now looking foreward to seeing my daughter and son in law as it is 2 years since I was last in Oz.

Cheers

Chicklet

Hi again, I have just had a look on Singapores website; if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page you will find a bit for feedback/enquiry. Click on that then where it says either booking enquiries or customer services you should be able to send them a message from there. Dont forget to put your name,dates of travel and flight numbers in as well as the travel agency you booked with. My travel agent was useless and didnt even reserve the seats I asked for when I booked last May to travel in December and wouldnt even ask about the luggage for me as he said I wasnt entitled either.

I took quite a bit in my carry on case and also have a huge handbag which I filled with all sorts too. I would try to message rather than phone so you can print the reply if you get confirmation of the extra allowance.

Dont give up and remember to mention Emirates as it really winds them up.

We had a good look at house prices while we were there at Christmas and also asked around about the type of jobs we might be considered for but there seems to be a bit of a negative attitude to employing the over 50s but many of the younger workers we came across have no social skills at all so I think the employers are wrong. We are hoping to be there permanently within the next 2 years or so. Just saving like mad now! Heating turned down and extra jumper on to save money on the bills too!

Keep me posted on the outcome. Val x

If you get the CPV173/143 do yo have to have any specific document to allow you to work in Oz :confused: I know about having to have Oz qualification to work as say an electrician, I mean something 'in general' apart from the VERY expensive visa :arghh:

Phoebe

You just need a tax file number (TFN) from the Australian Tax Office.

Charlie

If you get the CPV173/143 do yo have to have any specific document to allow you to work in Oz :confused: I know about having to have Oz qualification to work as say an electrician, I mean something 'in general' apart from the VERY expensive visa :arghh:

Phoebe[/quote

Hi Phoebe

We came over on a 173 and my husband found that most employers are not really that clued up about visas. They were a bit iffy about the 173 being a temporary visa, but once he showed them the visa grant letter which states you can work in Oz, it was fine. He also had to open an Australian super fund so his employer could pay into it for him.

Parent Visa priorities?

I remember reading somewhere, can't find the link again, that parent visa's also have priorities in that parents of Citizens get first priority, then PR/NZ etc. Is this true?

Hi, not heard of that one but my daughter and her husband had become Australian citizens but our application still took 14 months. It probably just saves on paperwork proving they are settled and for how long. New Zealand residents are entitled to live in Australia anyway so wouldnt need a CPV. Good luck!

Val

Guest chicklet

Hi Val Thanks for the information about emailing Singapore airlines which I have done already but as yet I have not received any reply but I will keep pestering them.20kgs is a very poor baggage allowance as even jet 2 give you 23kgs. Last time I went to Oz I took the 7kg cabin baggage allowance and also my handbag which like you crammed everything I could fit in.

When I come back in May I am hoping to sell my property as quick as I can as I want to get back to Adelaide as soon as possible as I am older than you and will not be looking for work.

Anyway I will keep you informed about the baggage allowance and am now looking foreward to my trip.

Cheers

Guest guest65599

hia, just wondering how your getting on...we also have just completed our medicals and the dr has sent them by emed...police checks are ready , my son in oz is sponsoring us and he needs to get the onfo to the main office soon....have you heard from ur case officer yet ?....i wonder how long it will be....hope you hear soon. thanks

Hey - has anyone any experience of the 143 (contributory parent visa) when one of the applicants has had skin cancer? (or any other type of cancer) - wanted to try find out if my Dad would meet the health requirements, he had it 2 years ago and has been clear since - it wasn't a spreading cancer, but I can't seem to find any definate answers about this!

Any help at all would be great, Thanks!

Guest chicklet

Hi Val Well here I am again and I have received an email from Singapore Airways saying I can have 40kgs of checked baggage which will only be granted when I check in at the airport when the visa is sighted and checked that I have not used it before. As you dont have a visa label posted in your passport now I am just presuming that the airline staff can check it electronically as it says in my visa grant letter that they can. I may however check this before I go as I dont want problems at he Airport as I will be on my own.

I did my email as you suggested in the feedback enquiry so thank you for that information and I hope you manage to get to oz as soon as possible and I only hope it wont be long before I can go permanantly.I will keep looking on the PIO as it is surprising what information you can pick up.

All the best

Joan

Guest chicklet

Hi Charlie 5 I dont know exactly when the visa label stopped being inserted in your passport but I did my visa through Go Matilda and when they sent me confirmation of my 143 permanent visa which was granted on the 2nd February 2012 they said I did not need to send my passport as it is all done electronically. Apparantly when I check in at the airport the airline staff will electronically confirm that I have my visa.Once I get to Oz I can check on the VEVO system and view my visa details on line which is a free internet system. Obviously I will try and do this once I arrive in Oz on the 8th March as I am having to come back to the UK to try and sell my property before I can come back to Oz. It seems to get more complicated as it goes on and as I am a retired widow I will be relieved when I am in Australia for good.

Joan

Guest sullivan_artex

Hiya to all, Been a while since i was last on this site.

I joined so i could help people with the move to Perth w. australia since i did that a few years ago i have helped alot of people with things like info and personal touches due to the fact i have been through the move and lived out in perth for nearly 8 years.

So i know what it is like to be new in the country and not know what your doing of.

If anyone would like to know anything about the move or just want someone to talk to please feel free to pm me hope to hear from some of you soon. James

Guest guest65599

hia sazgeering, we are also going through the 143 visa prosess. we had our medicals recently...if you are clear now then there should be no problem.however the dr may ask for a report to confirm all is clear. its nothing to worry about as long as all clear . ps would be good to keep in touch if you like. have you been waiting long ? ..i hope we get our case officer soon

hia sazgeering, we are also going through the 143 visa prosess. we had our medicals recently...if you are clear now then there should be no problem.however the dr may ask for a report to confirm all is clear. its nothing to worry about as long as all clear . ps would be good to keep in touch if you like. have you been waiting long ? ..i hope we get our case officer soon

Hi there, how long ago did you apply for your visa? I looked to see if you were on the tracker but I cant find you. Val x

Guest The Pom Queen
This is news to me, when did this start? The visa evidence inn our passports was very useful once we arrived in Australia for house rentals etc etc

Charlie

Charlie

It is done online now, but you can still opt for it in your passport afaik.

We also got an email.26th Jan.advising we get medical checks-------but also in red ink " stating that our penal checks had expired" so we are having them redone...but we sent 4 emails --and the last one highlighted that Immi's preferred comms was by email & said if no answer we would just have to phone

The question was we had sent in medicals,have you got them ??? The last email got a reply saying that the medicals may be elsewhere in the building but to leave it for 14 days !!

Sponsor having interview with Centrelink today,so moving forward I think.....

Good luck

I notice that you have entered a CO date on the tracker, ScroogeMacDuck. Is this correct?

Technically, I think that the email you refer to is not the CO date. This should be the date that you hear from your CO direct.

Good luck with your queries, too.

John & Eirian

I notice that you have entered a CO date on the tracker, ScroogeMacDuck. Is this correct?

Technically, I think that the email you refer to is not the CO date. This should be the date that you hear from your CO direct.

Good luck with your queries, too.

John & Eirian

This is the date we got an automated email from Perth,perhaps not a CO as you say--we do not have a name but have progressed penal checks and our sponsor has had the required interview with Centrelink,our sponsor is required to have an up to date ie last au tax year Notice of Assessment "NOA" done,which is being done now but again eating into our time--we are concerned at any delay in lodging AOS and understand we cannot progress this until Sponsor has this NOA.

Booked for a NZ trip end March & still hoping we can get PR on returning to Oz by easter but it is looking like a close run thing.