Guest guest36187

Hi Gill,

We emigrated to Adelaide in May 2010 and you gave us heaps of help and advice with our visa which were so grateful and now live in Glenelg North and doing good. The reason for contacting you is friends of ours have a visa dilema and if you dont mind we will give you a brief lowdown on their situation:

Chris has lived here (in Adelaide) for 25+ years and kept in touch with a girl (Sharon) back in his home town of Burnley all these years. Last May he visited England and met up with Sharon and to cut a long story short 'fell in love'. She has since been over to Australia twice and is currently here now on a 3 month holiday visa. She desperately wants a permanent visa and we were wondering if you could advise which is the best visa to apply for and how to go about it ?

Many thanks,

David

If they are serious about getting married there is the Prospective Marriage Visa which take about 3-6 months to process and then Sharon will be able to travel to Oz and they need to marry within 9 months. She will need to be in the UK to apply. Otherwise she could come on a 12 month visitor visa and after they have lived together for 12 months she will be eligible for a 'de facto' partner visa, although strictly speaking it is not legal to travel to Oz on a visitor visa with the intention of staying.

Hello Everyone,

I am using this forum after quite long time. I was migrated to Oz in 2010. I am single and Happily settled here in Melbourne. I am from India and i want to bring my parents here. They both are 53 and 60. My father is retired. I cant wait for long time to bring them nor i have big amount to pay to DIAC. What are the options available for m? My parents hold tourist visa. They been here once. I miss them very much. I appreciate any help/advise. Thanks and cheers

Hello Everyone,

I am using this forum after quite long time. I was migrated to Oz in 2010. I am single and Happily settled here in Melbourne. I am from India and i want to bring my parents here. They both are 53 and 60. My father is retired. I cant wait for long time to bring them nor i have big amount to pay to DIAC. What are the options available for m? My parents hold tourist visa. They been here once. I miss them very much. I appreciate any help/advise. Thanks and cheers

you obviously got yourself through a pretty complicated process successfully- so you know what you need to do...... you also know that you will have to do one or other of those things.. we all have to- wait a long time or pay $$$$$ .... talk to a local MARA agent.

I was under the impression (you read these blogs and adopt ideas/rules/etc) as you go along,that it was 3 months but hoped for more ??--but my email from immi did state my Police Checks were expired--so I just sent for more as we have been good citizens UK/OZ,my certificates were 7 months old and if Visa takes another 2 months then,9 months old.Sent email back,will post reply.

Thanks to all & good luck

macduck out --on a warm nite in Melbourne,better then freezing in Scotland

Exciting day today!

We got our email today informing us that we need to get prepared to have a CO appointed within the next four months.... get Police Checks, Medicals, AOS, etc done asap, although we've done the first two already.

Our document (page 3) referring to Police Checks also stated that our "previous clearance has expired" As we sent ours off on 31 December 2011, they clearly are very much alive, unless these MUST be done after the email just received. I'll ring them tomorrow to sort it out.

Also, the bit at the bottom of the same page, still referring to Oz Fed Police police checks and applicants who may have resided in Oz for one year or more in the last ten (not us) has a mysterious note in red at the bottom which states

Note: ensure the Code Number "33" for item 1. Purpose of NPC" is included at the top of the AFP National Police Check Application Form i.e. 33 - Immigration/Citizenship.

Blowed if I can figure out what this means, but as the para does not apply to us, not really bothered. Any ideas?

John & Eirian

Exciting day today!

We got our email today informing us that we need to get prepared to have a CO appointed within the next four months.... get Police Checks, Medicals, AOS, etc done asap, although we've done the first two already.

John & Eirian

Can anyone advise on the time gap between the email with two pdfs (Prep letter and health examinations) and actually getting a Case Officer, please?

I had the impression it wasn't too long, but maybe I'm just an optimist.

John & Eirian

Exciting day today!

Our document (page 3) referring to Police Checks also stated that our "previous clearance has expired" As we sent ours off on 31 December 2011, they clearly are very much alive, unless these MUST be done after the email just received. I'll ring them tomorrow to sort it out.

John & Eirian

I got through to the Parent Visa Authority (at 3.30 this morning UK time!) and spoke to a very helpful guy called Aaron in Melbourne. He confirmed that both police checks and medicals have a 12 month life and, after checking our papers, that our PCs did not expire until 12 Dec 2012.

He said that the document was a standard pdf and that the note in red about expiry must have been left over from the previous applicant. Any ideas on who this might have been, Scroogemacduck?

Great relief!

John & Eirian

Guest denzil53

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .

oh no that is just too awful- so sorry to hear this- what a nightmare day you must be having......did you go through an agent ?? if so what's the advice? if not I hope someone will be able to jump in quick & give you some words of wisdom..good luck

:sad:

Hi Denzil, If I were you I would appeal...........not sure how to go about it but I`m sure there will be something on the DIAC website. I think that its disgraceful that you were kept in the dark all that time. Your application should have been checked when it was lodged not 14 months down the line when their reasons for refusal are no longer valid. Please keep us informed of how you get on and good luck! Val

Guest denzil53

Hi VaVa, Thank you for your encouragement. Appeal arrangements were outlined in the refusal email, and my son and I are putting something together now. To be honest, I'm not very hopeful.

Guest guest65599

hi everyone, i am new to this ,so hope this works...i am currently waiting to hear re our contributary parents visa ..we recently had an email advising we get medical and police checks ready. done, now waiting to hear from a co....

any advise eg how long yet ! ...what next...would be really appreciated thankyou

Guest guest65599

hia john and eirian, we seem to be at the same part of the process as you...we are waiting to hear from a co. have just got our medicals and police checks done..

be good to hear if u any advise...hope you / we hear soon.

Hi Gill,

We emigrated to Adelaide in May 2010 and you gave us heaps of help and advice with our visa which were so grateful and now live in Glenelg North and doing good. The reason for contacting you is friends of ours have a visa dilema and if you dont mind we will give you a brief lowdown on their situation:

Chris has lived here (in Adelaide) for 25+ years and kept in touch with a girl (Sharon) back in his home town of Burnley all these years. Last May he visited England and met up with Sharon and to cut a long story short 'fell in love'. She has since been over to Australia twice and is currently here now on a 3 month holiday visa. She desperately wants a permanent visa and we were wondering if you could advise which is the best visa to apply for and how to go about it ?

Many thanks,

David

G'day David

Unless you have managed to catch up with Gill via Poms in Adelaide, you could try sending a Private Message to "Gollywobbler", which should trigger a notification if she is still a subscriber to the site.

I agree that she is a fount of knowledge and advice, and was very useful to us.

Good luck, Mike

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

We have a Will in the UK, if we decided to move to OZ would it still be valid or would we have to make new one in OZ?

Phoebe

G'Day Phoebe

I'm not sure if it is required, but I know that it is advisable.

Certainly, when we bought a home unit here in Sydney a few years ago, while retaining our main base in London, our solicitor friend Pete advised a separate Oz will if only because it would mean that our Australian "estate" could be dealt with much more quickly and efficiently with a separate Will.

Even when we move here permanently – hopefully later in '12 – we may still need a brief UK Will to deal with any residuals (small savings account to receive pensions; etc).

Mike

hi everyone, i am new to this ,so hope this works...i am currently waiting to hear re our contributary parents visa ..we recently had an email advising we get medical and police checks ready. done, now waiting to hear from a co....

any advise eg how long yet ! ...what next...would be really appreciated thankyou

G'day Sonia

I don't recall this "advice" procedure – are you sure the email wasn't a de facto CO in operation? Was the email signed?

In any case, I would have thought the wait would be only a few months, perhaps weeks, once the meds and police checks are sent to Perth (and you can do that even if they haven't yet actually asked you to, so long as your reference number is attached.

Good luck, and hope you don't have to wait long.

Mike

I don't really know the answer, but based on our experience with "expired police check" and also that of Scroogemacduck, don't panic.

Just ring them on the contact number using Skype, wait and wait and wait...

and then when you talk to a real person, you'll find him/her really helpful... as all Aussies are!

John & Eirian

We also got an email.26th Jan.advising we get medical checks-------but also in red ink " stating that our penal checks had expired" so we are having them redone...but we sent 4 emails --and the last one highlighted that Immi's preferred comms was by email & said if no answer we would just have to phone

The question was we had sent in medicals,have you got them ??? The last email got a reply saying that the medicals may be elsewhere in the building but to leave it for 14 days !!

Sponsor having interview with Centrelink today,so moving forward I think.....

Good luck

We also got an email.26th Jan.advising we get medical checks-------but also in red ink " stating that our penal checks had expired" so we are having them redone...but we sent 4 emails --and the last one highlighted that Immi's preferred comms was by email & said if no answer we would just have to phone

The question was we had sent in medicals,have you got them ??? The last email got a reply saying that the medicals may be elsewhere in the building but to leave it for 14 days !!

Sponsor having interview with Centrelink today,so moving forward I think.....

Good luck

Please, please, please ring them on +61 131 881, preferably using Skype as you might have to listen to messages and sweet music for about 15-20 mins.

If sound not good enough, use your landline.

What is essential is you actually TALK to someone, quoting your reference number. Magically, all will be sorted within the 20 min phone call. That includes your police check confirmation, receipt of medicals.. et al.

As a serious politician once said... TRUST ME!

John & Eirian

hia john and eirian, we seem to be at the same part of the process as you...we are waiting to hear from a co. have just got our medicals and police checks done..

be good to hear if u any advise...hope you / we hear soon.

Good luck Sonia, but nothing concrete to advise at this stage.

If your email doesn't have anything to worry about (in red!) play for time and wait and see.

However, if after 3-4 weeks you hear nothing more, I'd ring +61 131 881 and ask what is going on, quoting your reference number.

John & Eirian

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .[/QUOT Lots of sympathy but don't give up. Cases like yours have gone to appeal and been successful but I would contact Alan Collett and ask him for help...it will be worth the cost as he is very experienced in these matters

Fiz

Hmm...sad to hear that and sometimes this whole journey looks scary.But do not be discouraged,there should be someways to appeal..have you applied through agent? im sure something good will come out of this..

Either you pay more and bring your parents quick(CPV 143or 173) or pay less and wait for long time.Im notsure if there is anything in between this.But Im sure you will get lot of help from this forum.Good luck.

Hello Everyone,