Guest guest36187

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi all - Well I have just taken the first step in what will be a long process I suspect. Just completed my application form for CPV 173 so will send to my daughter for her to add her documentation as sponsor. I have just had a thought while looking through all the paperwork - Although my daughter and her family have been in Oz nearly 4 years they have only had PR since July 2011. Do you think this will be regarded as settled?

Cath

Hi all - Well I have just taken the first step in what will be a long process I suspect. Just completed my application form for CPV 173 so will send to my daughter for her to add her documentation as sponsor. I have just had a thought while looking through all the paperwork - Although my daughter and her family have been in Oz nearly 4 years they have only had PR since July 2011. Do you think this will be regarded as settled?

Cath

Hi Cath, I would check with DIAC before you send off your application with the fee. Someone recently was turned down because their son/daughter had not been resident long enough at the time of the application. The paperwork probably is not checked when the application is lodged and must only be put into a queue. Must have been awful to be told that especially all this time later as the son/daughter now qualify as being resident for long enough but DIAC take the date at initial application for permanent residency not when a CO is appointed.

Might just save a lot of heartache later if you do a bit of research now.

Good luck! Val x

Hi Cath

they seem to accept settled more along the lines of are they fitting to Aussie society, job, car, house (preferably purchase) kids in school, etc. when you talk of PR it used to be two years but is now four years but (may be wrong) this relates to the time to be able to apply for citizenship???. Our daughter etc had only been in Oz for about 15months when we applied so?????

Hi Cath,

I recently had a wobble with a similar query and my agent sent this in response.

16 Assessing ‘settled’

16.1 Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens

Regulation 1.03 defines settled to mean ‘lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period’.

‘Lawfully resident’ includes periods of lawful temporary residence.

Under policy, two years (as at time of visa application) is generally considered to be a ‘reasonable period’. However, when assessing whether or not a person is ‘settled’, each case is to be considered on an individual basis with regard given to the facts of the case, such as extended periods of temporary residence.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Thanks to all for the replies and advice. I am hoping they will consider my family as settled since they went to Oz in 2008 on an international student visa then as daughter was about to graduate and get permanent residency, the govt withdrew hairdressing from the skills list which was a huge blow, however they were given bridging visa and eventually son in laws company sponsored them. Thats the problem with the Oz govt - nobody knows when they are going to change things.....

Cath

Applied last month and just got an acknowledgement letter(1 month later) stating that they received the application last month. Is the acknowledgment date as in the letter or the date of the letter?

They also state that they are processing applications received on 21st Oct 2010. Is there a link where I can check allocation dates for CPVs?

Applied last month and just got an acknowledgement letter(1 month later) stating that they received the application last month. Is the acknowledgment date as in the letter or the date of the letter?

They also state that they are processing applications received on 21st Oct 2010. Is there a link where I can check allocation dates for CPVs?

Hi, I think its the date in the letter which is the acknowledgement date. As for 21st October 2010, that means about 16 months to wait for CO. Last June when I applied it was processing date of May 2010, about 13 months. So frustrating.......No wonder when I check the Tracker there is very little or no movement!

On that basis we were hoping to be on our way by Sept/October, now it's looking more like Nov/Dec! The knock on effect is timing with selling house, etc. etc.

Have been trying to resist visiting the family in Oz "on holiday" for financial reasons (the price of flights and spending money = the cost of a car when we get there) and to avoid the goodbyes (again) to the grandchildren which I find so hard, but with the knock-back in time, I'm now thinking we should go and wait for our CO there!

Oh, I don't know.....

Best of luck with your wait - hope you have more patience than me!

Val x

On that basis we were hoping to be on our way by Sept/October, now it's looking more like Nov/Dec! The knock on effect is timing with selling house, etc. etc.

Hi Val,

It seems that the date of Oct 21st is when the application was acknowledged in mid-Jan but the letter only showed up recently.

They say that they are currently processing applications from third week of November 2010. Cheer up :) You'll probably still get it by Sept/Oct. Good luck!

Hi My acknowledgement date is 20 Sept 2011 so I have a long wait too, would love to know if there is any time when there is a rush of movement or something. The tracker on this site is great, but going by that there has been no movement for a long time. I think if you waited over there for the CO you would have to go offshore to get the visa, not sure of this. Best of luck. Fran.

Hi fran

Yes you have to be outside Oz when the visa is granted but if you talk to your CO they will let you know so you could go to bali or new zealand for a few days. Many do. Best of luck.

Hi Folks

I am still not sure whether it is good news or not but we have just accepted an offer on our house. Severely depressed price but that is the way of the market. Just hope I can get employment at 61 so we can get a loan to make up the difference. After being mortgage free for so long it is a bit frightning but look out Perth we will be landing for good now on 25 april. Just hope it is all we hope for.:wacko:

Thats great news. Wishing you all the best

Moira

Guest Jubeeslanz

Hi Maisies, Just reading thru the threads for the CPV. I am w2aiting on my own visas to come through now but want to get my parents their CPV asap. Would you be able to tell me approx how much it cost per person in total??? Sorry for being intrusive but Iv had so many different answers!! Thanks in advance

Hi

If you read booklet No3 on the IMMI website it should answer most of your questions. You really need to start with settled status and balance of family tests rather than cost at this stage.

regards

Hey guys,

I'm about to start the CPV process for my parents. Would you recommend using a migration agent?

Cheers

G'day Seb

Most people on here don't, unless there are particularly thorny problems (eg, medical history – but, having said that, we handled it ourselves despite a brush with prostate cancer). It's mainly a matter of form-filling.

Have a thorough look at the Immi dept's Booklet 3, and the tracker site (which has some useful info, too) – both mentioned in posts just above.

Good luck, Mike

Hey guys,

I'm about to start the CPV process for my parents. Would you recommend using a migration agent?

Cheers

If your parents case is straightforward I would recommend you or they do it yourself. Even if you used a migration agent you would have to gather all the information anyway so cut out the middle man I say and save yourself/them the added cost. It is a question of being very methodical but otherwise straightforward. There are always plenty of people on here to ask if you do become stuck.

Best wishes

Cath

Hi Maisies, Just reading thru the threads for the CPV. I am w2aiting on my own visas to come through now but want to get my parents their CPV asap. Would you be able to tell me approx how much it cost per person in total??? Sorry for being intrusive but Iv had so many different answers!! Thanks in advance

As others have said start with Booklet 3 on theDIAC website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

then have a read about the parent visas on the DIAC website

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

The charges are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

The initial visa application charge is a one off but the second visa application charge is per person. There is then an Assurance of Support to pay of currently $14000 for a couple. The charges go up every July but you pay the charge which is in force at the time of application. You can split the cost by applying for the 173 temporary contributory parent visa which gives a 2 year stay in Oz and parents have to apply for the permanent 143 visa before the end of the 2 years and pay the rest of the money and the AOS.

To give you a rough idea it has just cost us around £50,000. Hope this helps.

…at current exchange rates, that is – when most of us started on the journey, it was more like £35,000!!! :no:

For nayone needing to pay their second VAC shortly, it's best to pay in £ to the Oz High Commission in London. They're using $1.52 to the £ whereas the actual exchange rate at the mo is closer to $1.47

john & Eirian

…at current exchange rates, that is – when most of us started on the journey, it was more like £35,000!!! :no:

Hey. When we started on the journey in 2008 the Australian dollar was worth 40 pence; by the time we paid the second payment in July 2009 it was 50 pence which we thought was dreadful! Oh for the 50 pence Aussie dollar now!!

Hi,

Just starting CPV process and looking through document checklist for application form 47A. What evidence is needed to prove where children reside? Son lives in UK - is copy of passport enough for him? Daughter is Australian citizen - is copy of her citizenship docs enough for her? All certified of course. Or do you also have to supply utility bills, or additional info?

Probably the first of many detail questions.

Rowley