Guest guest36187

Hi There,

Apologies for gatecrashing this thread - I wasnt sure where to post my question.

My Mom is reaching the time upon which she can apply for the CPV. I just wanted to confirm that my husband is able to sponsor her as an inlaw? I do not work however, he is a high bracket earner ($220,000+), we own our house and we have savings in the bank. My younger sister has been here since 2008 (but can only apply for PR April 2013), works for a large organisation and has just bought a house with her partner - so the financial obligation would be split between them and us. I guess my sister would be able to sponsor her at some point when she gets PR but as my husband earns substantially more money than her, thought an application done by ourselves would sit better with immigration.

Many Thanks

Purplealster.

G'day and welcome – you're not gatecrashing at all; that kind of query is exactly what this thread is for!

In fact you, as the daughter, would be the sponsor; however, the form asks for details of your husband's position if he is the principal breadwinner in your family. There would be no need to wait for your sister to become eligible. If you have any other siblings, however, you need to be aware of the "balance of family" test – but your mum would be OK if she has up to two (but no more than two) other children not living in Australia.

Have a good look at the Immigration Dept's Booklet 3 – Parent Migration (see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm); you can download the whole booklet from there. On the same web page you will see a list of "Associated forms" – these will show you exactly the information asked for.

The only direct financial obligation arises when the permanent 143 visa is about to be granted; then the Assurance of Support has to be given and a cash deposit (held by Commonwealth Bank in an interest-bearing account for 10 years) made.

Good luck! Mike

Hi Linday and Mike,

Thanks very much for your responses.

My Mum does pass the balance of family test as my sister and I are her only biological children. She did/does have step children but they ceased to be counted when my Dad died in 2005. But seeing as we are both here, 50% of her children would have been here anyway. My husband would love to get his Mum over as well, but he has a brother in London and a sister in New York so sadly she fails the BOF test.

Does anyone know what the current processing time is for the CPV? I have heard it being mentioned that it is about 2 years provided there arent any issues?

Regards,

Adrienne

Hi Linday and Mike,

Does anyone know what the current processing time is for the CPV? I have heard it being mentioned that it is about 2 years provided there arent any issues?

Regards,

Adrienne

This site will give you a good idea of the time taken to get a Case Officer and Visa 143 or 173, Adrienne.

I'd say about 14 months for the Case Officer and about a month after that to get the Visa.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

HI EVERYBODY WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR 173 VISAS. NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED A CASE OFFICER AND ARE USING AN AGENT.--Once you have sent off all you checks, give your CO a ring. We sent ours off on the 9th Jan and then sent two emails over the last 3 weeks to our agent for any info and didn't hear a thing from them. Our daughter phoned our CO on Monday and was told that we had been granted our visas on Jan 16th, he was still waiting for the payments that should have been made within 28 days of notification. She explained to him that we had not heard a thing about it, fortunately he was very understanding and gave us another date for payment March 20th.

Finally got an email from the agent apologizing for the mix up this morning, seem that according to her ( THE OFFICE MANAGER) that all the info had been sent to the email address of the girl who was assigned to us, but she was on maternity leave.

You would think that with todays technology it would have been an easy matter to inform our CO of the new girls (OFFICE MANAGER) email address.

Good job our daughter phoned up or goodness knows what would have happened.

Still alls well that ends well, payment was sent off this morning by IFEX and should be there by Monday at the latest.

Keep the dream everybody it can be frustrating at times but worth it in the end.

Ann and Roy :-)

Thought I'd better tell you the site!

It's http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.phpJ&E

HI EVERYBODY WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR 173 VISAS. NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED A CASE OFFICER AND ARE USING AN AGENT.--Once you have sent off all you checks, give your CO a ring. We sent ours off on the 9th Jan and then sent two emails over the last 3 weeks to our agent for any info and didn't hear a thing from them. Our daughter phoned our CO on Monday and was told that we had been granted our visas on Jan 16th, he was still waiting for the payments that should have been made within 28 days of notification. She explained to him that we had not heard a thing about it, fortunately he was very understanding and gave us another date for payment March 20th.

Finally got an email from the agent apologizing for the mix up this morning, seem that according to her ( THE OFFICE MANAGER) that all the info had been sent to the email address of the girl who was assigned to us, but she was on maternity leave.

You would think that with todays technology it would have been an easy matter to inform our CO of the new girls (OFFICE MANAGER) email address.

Good job our daughter phoned up or goodness knows what would have happened.

Still alls well that ends well, payment was sent off this morning by IFEX and should be there by Monday at the latest.

Keep the dream everybody it can be frustrating at times but worth it in the end.

Ann and Roy :-)

Congratulations Ann and Roy. Really pleased for you.

Julie

Regarding sons in law as sponsors, i think the question really relates to the assurer as that is where income matters. My son in law was my assurer and there was no problem. From memory I think my daughter and son in law were joint sponsors..and again no issues arose

Good luck!

Hi Guys :cool:,Well it’s been 5 months since Wanda and I landed in Brisbane and I think I have only posted once or twice, partly because of time and partly because of poor internet connection.

We stayed with our son for the first month and then moved into a rental, we are paying more than we wanted to but it is in a nice area of Shailer Park.

Wanda beat me to finding work, part time at first and then at a second job full time but still ‘casual’. I found some casual work before Xmas and also did a 3 week Warehousing and Forklift Driving course (thanks Sir Matt) paid for by the Qld government (the only help both of us had to find work).I found more casual work after Xmas and this week found permanent work with a third company 5 minutes away from where Wanda works so we are still running 1 car for the moment.

We still have not moved any more money over from the UK but have managed with money we had sent over when we first applied for the visa plus our earnings.This week we were offered a mortgage of $400K with repayments just a bit higher than our rent so that gives us another option if the exchange rate does not pick up soon. The bank seemed to miss the point we would be in our 80’s by the end of the mortgage term.:wacko:

Reading my last post, we did not get our Xmas day swim in the ocean (used a friends pool) but did on Boxing Day on the Gold Coast. We often go to the Bayside area for a swim when time allows and have a BBQ on the beach afterwards.

We have started to pickup Oz friends for a meal and chat but are most surprised at how much we missed ‘going to work’ and now enjoy that more for the company than the money.Wanda and I had worked together for 13 years so it is still novel to get home at night and say ‘how has your day gone’ and not know the answer.

The last couple of days have been naff with rain but it has still been 22c, and that has been after a long run of shorts and t-shirt weather.

Nearly forgot, our son and D-I-L wasted no time on our arrival to Oz and we have our first grandchild ‘on the way’.:wubclub:

Best wishes to all, Les and Wanda Avalook. :biggrin: Dreaming the Life.

Hi Guys :cool:,Well it’s been 5 months since Wanda and I landed in Brisbane and I think I have only posted once or twice, partly because of time and partly because of poor internet connection.

We stayed with our son for the first month and then moved into a rental, we are paying more than we wanted to but it is in a nice area of Shailer Park.

Wanda beat me to finding work, part time at first and then at a second job full time but still ‘casual’. I found some casual work before Xmas and also did a 3 week Warehousing and Forklift Driving course (thanks Sir Matt) paid for by the Qld government (the only help both of us had to find work).I found more casual work after Xmas and this week found permanent work with a third company 5 minutes away from where Wanda works so we are still running 1 car for the moment.

We still have not moved any more money over from the UK but have managed with money we had sent over when we first applied for the visa plus our earnings.This week we were offered a mortgage of $400K with repayments just a bit higher than our rent so that gives us another option if the exchange rate does not pick up soon. The bank seemed to miss the point we would be in our 80’s by the end of the mortgage term.:wacko:

Reading my last post, we did not get our Xmas day swim in the ocean (used a friends pool) but did on Boxing Day on the Gold Coast. We often go to the Bayside area for a swim when time allows and have a BBQ on the beach afterwards.

We have started to pickup Oz friends for a meal and chat but are most surprised at how much we missed ‘going to work’ and now enjoy that more for the company than the money.Wanda and I had worked together for 13 years so it is still novel to get home at night and say ‘how has your day gone’ and not know the answer.

The last couple of days have been naff with rain but it has still been 22c, and that has been after a long run of shorts and t-shirt weather.

Nearly forgot, our son and D-I-L wasted no time on our arrival to Oz and we have our first grandchild ‘on the way’.:wubclub:

Best wishes to all, Les and Wanda Avalook. :biggrin: Dreaming the Life.

Hi Les, i have followed yours and everyones post on here with interest over the years and especially since i lodged last june so fingers crossed for this year, i have just read with interest on you being offered a mortgage, the rents are so high in perth i did wonder if they would concider me for a mortgage at 55yrs and live alone although i do intend to work until i am 65 plus, i have my house here in the uk which i am going to rent due to fall in house prices and poor exchange rate, but i do have a inheritence of 100,000 pounds left to be by my parents which would be a down payment, i know this would not be enough to buy outright on a small place ( new build as they are usually cheaper) but i did wonder if i would be concidered for a mortgage on what was left to pay on the price of the house. I work in aged care and intend to go agency as they pay more and work is also plentiful , i just wondered by your experience on being offered a mortgage if you thought i may be in with a chance, i would sooner pay a bit more on a mortgage than pay a rent so long as it's within my means. So glad you and your wife have found work and are settling down to live your dream, all the best Ann

Hi Les, i have followed yours and everyones post on here with interest over the years and especially since i lodged last june so fingers crossed for this year, i have just read with interest on you being offered a mortgage, ............Ann
Hi Ann,To answer some of your points:

We have only approached the Commonwealth Bank so have no idea what other banks look for.We are the same age as you (well Wanda is, I’m just a touch senior:cool:) and that did not appear a problem with the bank (CWB).

Our wages have always been paid into the CWB plus our Oz money is with them so they know we can cover the required 5% deposit, plus they can see what we pay for rent.

They do not lend on a set multiple of earnings but ability to pay, they will include the credit limit on any credit cards you have as part of your borrowing.:policeman:

If you have permanent work they want a copy of your contract or a letter from your employer, if you are employed ‘casual’ they want to see 3 months earnings.

The next stage is to get a formal mortgage offer which is like an agreement to lend a set amount of money against an unknown property.

Remember the bank will lend only against their valuation, not the asking price. The bank lady we spoke to had paid over $600k for her new build house 2 years ago and had just had it valued for a new loan at $490k.:arghh:

Our advice would be to expect to rent for 6 months to a year before you make any decision, things are so different over here it is hard to pre-plan from the UK. We learn something new every week and still am not sure which way we will go.

:wubclub:

Regards Les and Wanda

Hi Folks

I am still not sure whether it is good news or not but we have just accepted an offer on our house. Severely depressed price but that is the way of the market. Just hope I can get employment at 61 so we can get a loan to make up the difference. After being mortgage free for so long it is a bit frightning but look out Perth we will be landing for good now on 25 april. Just hope it is all we hope for.:wacko:

Hi Ann,To answer some of your points:

We have only approached the Commonwealth Bank so have no idea what other banks look for.We are the same age as you (well Wanda is, I’m just a touch senior:cool:) and that did not appear a problem with the bank (CWB).

Our wages have always been paid into the CWB plus our Oz money is with them so they know we can cover the required 5% deposit, plus they can see what we pay for rent.

They do not lend on a set multiple of earnings but ability to pay, they will include the credit limit on any credit cards you have as part of your borrowing.:policeman:

If you have permanent work they want a copy of your contract or a letter from your employer, if you are employed ‘casual’ they want to see 3 months earnings.

The next stage is to get a formal mortgage offer which is like an agreement to lend a set amount of money against an unknown property.

Remember the bank will lend only against their valuation, not the asking price. The bank lady we spoke to had paid over $600k for her new build house 2 years ago and had just had it valued for a new loan at $490k.:arghh:

Our advice would be to expect to rent for 6 months to a year before you make any decision, things are so different over here it is hard to pre-plan from the UK. We learn something new every week and still am not sure which way we will go.

:wubclub:

Regards Les and Wanda

Thank you so much for the reply and the information you have given which is very helpful, i will take your advice and rent while i seek out the info i need from the banks. What would we do without the help and advice we get from everyone who shares their experiences. Ann

Hi Ann and Roy, congratulations on getting your Visa, so encouraging for the rest of us! I hope you'll keep us updated from time to time on how you settle down in Oz. Where are going? How soon?

Best of luck

Val x

Thanks Val, we are going to NSW Central Coast , got to sell the house yet, but hoping to be there for July at the latest in time for the birth of our new grandchild in August. Ann x

Hi Folks

I am still not sure whether it is good news or not but we have just accepted an offer on our house. Severely depressed price but that is the way of the market. Just hope I can get employment at 61 so we can get a loan to make up the difference. After being mortgage free for so long it is a bit frightning but look out Perth we will be landing for good now on 25 april. Just hope it is all we hope for.:wacko:

Well done on the sale of your house so pleased for you. It gives me hope that we can sell ours soon and be booking our flights. Ann x

Hi Folks

Oh well done! It's all systems go now I expect and on tenterhooks hoping it all goes through OK. We had a similar situation and actually only completed the house sale at 2 pm on the day we were due to fly out at 9 pm! With regard to work, hubby is 63 and he managed to find work. Fingers crossed and look forward to seeing you in Perth.

Hi Folks

Well done, all is not lost as prices for houses are just as depressed out here (well where we are in QLD before someone proves me wrong).:wink:

Figure differ widely - depends where you get your info.

SYDNEY (MarketWatch) — Australian house prices fell in the latest quarter and are likely to remain soft through the next year, a survey out Wednesday showed.

House prices fell 2.4% in the September quarter of 2011, accelerating from a drop of 2% in the June quarter, according to a survey by National Australia Bank, released Wednesday.

By state, prices fell 3.8% in Victoria, 3.2% in Queensland, 2.9% in South Australia and the Northern Territory, 1.1% in New South Wales and 0.8% in Western Australia, the survey showed.

Who knows what the future will hold! We bought a lovely house in Adelaide and although the price may drop further we should have enough to live on for a few more years before we need to move to a retirement village or downsize!!!!! Kids won't worry what their inheritance will be then - they're managing OK and anything we leave will be a bonus.