Guest guest36187

We lodged 11/03/15. After we submitted AoS letter of acceptance on 03/05/18 we received an email saying that we would be allocated a case officer soon and that they would 'appreciate our patience at this time'!

Not heard anything since. . . .  

July?????? 

Will let you all know if hear before then

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Thank you for the info. Can I ask if there is generally much difference in price when buying land then building your own house, compared to buying a finished new-build? We have seen a few 'land-and-build' packages and I like the idea of choosing the finishes etc. Also do you know what the 'fist time buyer' grant is worth in %? I wonder if you can buy land then build post-visa to still qualify.

Hi, we bought in a new development, and it was a house/land package. You have a choice of builder and , I believe the expression is “turn-key” property, or you pick a house and any upgrades you wish. The first time buyers grant is 10% metro, 20% rural in Victoria. Although we missed out on this, land has gone up in value so much here, that we have saved by acting early and taking a chance!  I don’t see why you can’t purchase the land early, it takes about 20 weeks for build ( that’s the theory ?). We delayed ours by 3 months thinking that we would have Visa by completion, but Immigration knew better . Hopefully it won’t be too long, maybe towards springtime ??

Geoff & Gill

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, it’s terrible to see houses we could have afforded, now getting beyond our reach. The exchange rate also makes a big difference. We are considering buying a plot of land or a house now, and it would help if the rate went back up.

Good to hear you are settling in, it’s nice to renovate and get everything how you want it, especially kitchen and bathroom.

Yes, the frustration must be immense just not knowing. We chose our current location based partly on house prices being affordable ... Then sat and watched them climb as the exchange rate plummetted. We have been lucky to find a place that didnt twke all our money although it was a sharp downsize from what we had in the UK!   We too wre renovating Nyorksgrannie ... Hope yours is going as well as ours (touch wood).   The thing about the endless uncharted waiting is that you can't plan properly - I really hope the Au govt sort out the visa situation so that at least people have a realistic view of the time scale  and costs when they fork over the not insignificant first VAC. A private firm carrying on the way of immi would risk being sued for false representation ... 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, it’s terrible to see houses we could have afforded, now getting beyond our reach. The exchange rate also makes a big difference. We are considering buying a plot of land or a house now, and it would help if the rate went back up.

Good to hear you are settling in, it’s nice to renovate and get everything how you want it, especially kitchen and bathroom.

Yes, the frustration must be immense just not knowing. We chose our current location based partly on house prices being affordable ... Then sat and watched them climb as the exchange rate plummetted. We have been lucky to find a place that didnt twke all our money although it was a sharp downsize from what we had in the UK!   We too wre renovating Nyorksgrannie ... Hope yours is going as well as ours (touch wood).   The thing about the endless uncharted waiting is that you can't plan properly - I really hope the Au govt sort out the visa situation so that at least people have a realistic view of the time scale  and costs when they fork over the not insignificant first VAC. A private firm carrying on the way of immi would risk being sued for false representation ... 

• Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly about exchange rate. It’s making the whole experience into an even worse nightmare. Goodness only knows where it’s all headed this time. Sterling seems to be the punch bag of the traders. 1.75 at time of writing after a real hammering yesterday. The cause was Italy with Brexit thrown in for good measure. The financial journals are predicting a rough June but it’s knowing what to do that’s the problem. If only we knew where it was headed and how low. I’m tempted to stick some more over at 1.75 or thereabouts.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

You're right to say this, although I guess if prices keep rising in Australia, there is always an opportunity regardless of the visa outcome.

There not rising everywhere. Far from it, so it depends where people are moving to. 

• Like 2

For those thinking of building.

A few tips, based on our build in WA:

There is no such thing as a house and land package. That is just a marketing ploy by the house builders who look at the plots available and compare what designs they have that would fit on it, then call it a package. In reality, you buy the land and appoint the builder separately.

Be careful with turn key packages and thinking it will include everything. Once you have signed the contract, you will start the "pre start" process. This is a lot of fun, where you have several weeks to chose everything that will by built from the kitchen to the brick colour. However, they will send you the details of your options and these can be fairly limited to what is in the inclusive price, then there will be a lot more options that will cost extra. You will then attend the "pre start" meeting which is basically an all day meeting to go through your choices. One of the big things is to decide where you want all your electrical points. This is important as in that "all inclusive" price, is only one electrical point per room. Obviously not practical, so the rest are extras you will pay for. We hadn't very good package, which the company abandoned shortly after we signed up because they realised it would send them bust, but even with that, expect to have $10 - 20k of extras. 

When choosing plots and developments, do make sure you consider things like surrounding infrastructure, ease of commutes, how nice surrounding areas are and the value of the houses there. Are the nearby areas "nice" or rough? Look at the tyre marks on the roads to see if hooning is an issue. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Merryweather said:

We lodged 11/03/15. After we submitted AoS letter of acceptance on 03/05/18 we received an email saying that we would be allocated a case officer soon and that they would 'appreciate our patience at this time'!

Not heard anything since. . . .  

July?????? 

Will let you all know if hear before then

Metoo You and I are the same boat. I received the AOS letter in 3 May 2015 and lodged visa 26/03/2015 . I don't know what i can do now just wait wait and wait feel so frustrating .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

@SusieRoo are we allowed to buy land/property whilst waiting for visas? 

I wouldn't risk it even if it is possible. Much better to wait till you're here. A place and suburb that looks fine on google maps could be totally different in real life.

As stated above Perth prices have dropped back a fair bit in the last 4 or 5 years. One of the things we don't have much of is auctions here though. I've seen them on TV over East. It's like a feeding frenzy and the auctioneers are good at driving up the price.

There's a correction coming in Sydney and Melbourne and Perth prices are slowly rising again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tidang said:

Metoo You and I are the same boat. I received the AOS letter in 3 May 2015 and lodged visa 26/03/2015 . I don't know what i can do now just wait wait and wait feel so frustrating .

Hi Tidang,

Did you/ your parent receive an email from PVC AFTER submitting your AoS acceptance letter? (See my post)

As Cat Lady says, she submitted her acceptance letter last May (2017) but had to wait until September for visa! However, if you look at her dates it was still processed within 36 months of lodgement - not sure what the processing times were forecast back then.

It will happen - but we just have to keep waiting!

M

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

I wouldn't risk it even if it is possible. Much better to wait till you're here. A place and suburb that looks fine on google maps could be totally different in real life.

As stated above Perth prices have dropped back a fair bit in the last 4 or 5 years. One of the things we don't have much of is auctions here though. I've seen them on TV over East. It's like a feeding frenzy and the auctioneers are good at driving up the price.

There's a correction coming in Sydney and Melbourne and Perth prices are slowly rising again.

I think the correction is already beginning in Sydney - another reason we bought the smallest place we could live with. I've been watching Sydney prices since way before we left the UK and have noticed a slight but definite drop since we arrived eight months ago. 

Something else to beware of when buying is … the estate agents!   I don't know what they are like elsewhere but we had a bad experience with an agent who kept refusing our offers on a house until we reached our limit and gave up! He then waited a few days and rang us saying that the sellers were keen to sell and might just consider an offer just a couple of thousand higher than ours. It was quite satisfying to be able to tell him we had already exchanged contracts on another property. The house with the higher price tag then sat on the market for a further three weeks, had two more open days and then sold for thirteen thousand dollars less than we had offered … you have been warned!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Merryweather said:

Hi Tidang,

Did you/ your parent receive an email from PVC AFTER submitting your AoS acceptance letter? (See my post)

As Cat Lady says, she submitted her acceptance letter last May (2017) but had to wait until September for visa! However, if you look at her dates it was still processed within 36 months of lodgement - not sure what the processing times were forecast back then.

It will happen - but we just have to keep waiting!

M

Hi Merry,

You mean new f.y 2018-19 not sure in July but it would be like September, If suppose they arrange in chronically So it will be Feb @ant111 then you @Pertenhall @Tidang And many more at glance, most of the April lodgers 143 have asked for 2nd Vac so I gotta resist myself till September October ? 

Zaki

26 minutes ago, Merryweather said:

Well, I've taken Alan Collett's advice and emailed Peter Dutton - and his colleague Alan Tudge!!!!

Also copied in Senator McKim

@Merryweather I think it’s better to email those Senators who have supported a disallowed motion to overturn the new AOS in a few weeks back.