Guest guest36187

7 hours ago, Lenses said:

Hi Tulip,

As a tax payer totally agree on the 10 year wait for pension.

What I was trying to say is that do you have to wait 10 years for the concession card, ie you don't get the concession card until you are eligible to pension.

My parents will be unlikely to be around for the pension and $100K is a lot of money so I'm trying to advise them whether to go for contributory or stick it out in the queue for non contributory visa (they will never get!). 

Apart from the cost - there is also the w-a-I-t-I-n-g time!! Getting longer and longer. Are your parents already in Oz?

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

There are a number of ways that resi care can be paid for. A bond as you have mentioned and a daily care fee, or a bond and the care fee is taken from that lump sum if you don’t have enough income. Or for those with no assets, the option of a concession bed, which has no bond but they will take 85% of your aged pension. This is a very simplistic overview of a complex issue and there are a number of different permutations. A whole financial advice sector has sprung up since the new funding came in in 2014, says it all! 

Not many people go into a facility unless they have to. About 8% of over 85s are in aged care, the rest are at home. The average time spent in a facility is 12 months, so very near the end of life before moving into aged care.

The “ traditional “ way for us all to leave this earth is ; live at home with or without help, get sick, go into hospital for 5 days, die. 

As self funded retirees I would recommend you pay privately for home care and stay away from the Government home care system, as it stands currently.

As you sound fit, well and loving life from your posts, stick your head back in the sand and live well! ?

Thanks for the info. Residential care sounds similar to the UK - a mess! hugely expensive, with no way of insuring against or saving for because the costs are so high. I believe the average stay in s UK home is two years. I intend to stay in my own home with help until I'm too doolally to care where I am ... Till then, head in sand. 

5 hours ago, Nicole Eire said:

Still waiting very impatiently. No request for 2nd VAC, despite the previous email from immi telling us the amount that would be requested and that we would have 28 days to pay etc... thank you for your patience. How about all the others from March 2015 - Mikenc Pertenhall?? Anything?

No, nothing here.  22 weeks since our AoS paperwork was submitted and still waiting for contact by Centrelink.  Already used up 5 months of our 12 month validity for police checks and medicals and nothing even remotely in sight.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

As far as I’m aware the aged pension is only given if you are on a low income ie it’s means tested. It’s not like the UK pension which everybody gets as long as you’ve paid enough National Insurance. 

I think the crucial difference is that the Australian pension is a benefit to which individuals make no contributions during their working life, whereas the UK pension is not a state benefit because inividuals have contributed to it throughout their working lives - and as for any paid for pension, what you get depends on the amount you have paid in - not everyone gets the same.

10 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

No, nothing here.  22 weeks since our AoS paperwork was submitted and still waiting for contact by Centrelink.  Already used up 5 months of our 12 month validity for police checks and medicals and nothing even remotely in sight.

Hi Zelda, 

Did you ring on that number of grievance which I gave you? 

1 minute ago, Zaki said:

Hi Zelda, 

Did you ring on that number of grievance which I gave you? 

Yes - we were just told they were busy and we had to wait.  Also submitted a written formal complaint at the end of April and was told that we would have response within 10 working days - we heard nothing!  Another phone call  to follow that up gave us the same response - you just have to wait!!?

4 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

Yes - we were just told they were busy and we had to wait.  Also submitted a written formal complaint at the end of April and was told that we would have response within 10 working days - we heard nothing!  Another phone call  to follow that up gave us the same response - you just have to wait!!?

You should contact Local member of parliament 

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You cannot get the aged pension until you have been there for 10 years. Fair enough though, you can't move somewhere and expect to start getting given money for the rest of your life.

It has gone to 15yrs now before you could claim a pension unless you work for 5yrs  I believe .? If you don’t work it’s 15 

Edited by Kathss56

According to another forum quite a few applicants with lodgement dates up to 30/6/15 have been asked to prepare docs!

Anybody here been asked? 

Wonder if immi will not now be giving out any visas till after July but are keeping busy working on requesting preparation of docs  instead? 

There doesn’t seem to be any logic the way the queue is going at the moment. 

48 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

We were told there was an 18 week wait between lodgement of initial AoS application and eventual AoS acceptance letter. I am assuming your sponsors have paid the bond and you have sent bank guarantee letter to Centrelink? 

Your sponsors need to try to phone Centrelink. They might have to  be on hold for up to an hour(!!) and probably won't be able to speak to AoS team BUT whoever answers their call can check your application on their system. Might be worth it just to check it hasn't gone astray

1 minute ago, Merryweather said:

We were told there was an 18 week wait between lodgement of initial AoS application and eventual AoS acceptance letter. I am assuming your sponsors have paid the bond and you have sent bank guarantee letter to Centrelink? 

Your sponsors need to try to phone Centrelink. They might have to  be on hold for up to an hour(!!) and probably won't be able to speak to AoS team BUT whoever answers their call can check your application on their system. Might be worth it just to check it hasn't gone astray

No!  Our sponsor, our daughter, hasn't even been contacted for an interview.  She has called a few times and as you say has had to wait up to 2 hours but all they say is that everything is on the system and we just have to wait.  How long is the big question!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Merryweather said:

That doesn't sound right. I agree with Zaki - she must contact local M.P. Look at our AoS lodgement date - about the same as yours. Where is your daughter based?

She is in QLD, Moffat Beach and submitted the paperwork to Caloundra Centrelink.  We have the name of her MP - Andrew Wallace - and are ready to get something in writing to him.  Knowing our luck we will probably still get the same response - you just have to wait!  It is so very frustrating.

Edited by Pertenhall

1 hour ago, Pertenhall said:

She is in QLD, Moffat Beach and submitted the paperwork to Caloundra Centrelink.  We have the name of her MP - Andrew Wallace - and are ready to get something in writing to him.  Knowing our luck we will probably still get the same response - you just have to wait!  It is so very frustrating.

Really, really feel for you!! Does MP have a 'surgery' like they do in the UK? Also phone centrelink again - make a nuisance of herself. 

Somerimes I think that If I had known about all the waiting, frustrations, living in limbo, etc. - would I have embarked on this journey in the first place?

Good luck ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

I think the crucial difference is that the Australian pension is a benefit to which individuals make no contributions during their working life, whereas the UK pension is not a state benefit because inividuals have contributed to it throughout their working lives - and as for any paid for pension, what you get depends on the amount you have paid in - not everyone gets the same.

Well - that's is how British people think. But in reality it's just another tax. I really doubt that they put any of that NI money to one side. Or if they don't have enough NI money - they stop paying pensions. It's all tax. 

3 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

Can she go visit them in person again?. If she has already been that is!

17 minutes ago, newjez said:

Well - that's is how British people think. But in reality it's just another tax. I really doubt that they put any of that NI money to one side. Or if they don't have enough NI money - they stop paying pensions. It's all tax. 

Never known the state pension to be stopped! 

1 hour ago, Pertenhall said:

Really, really feel for you!! Does MP have a 'surgery' like they do in the UK? Also phone centrelink again - make a nuisance of herself. 

Somerimes I think that If I had known about all the waiting, frustrations, living in limbo, etc. - would I have embarked on this journey in the first place?

Good luck ? 

3 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

Can she go visit them in person again?. If she has already been that is!

4 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Thanks for the info. Residential care sounds similar to the UK - a mess! hugely expensive, with no way of insuring against or saving for because the costs are so high. I believe the average stay in s UK home is two years. I intend to stay in my own home with help until I'm too doolally to care where I am ... Till then, head in sand. 

Pretty much it. There is greater availability here because of the costs/privatised nature of the business. The facilities only have minimal registered nurses and are run by enrolled nurses and care staff, so mortality rates are higher, care lower. As the registered nurse you have responsibility for all those staff and are often off site available by phone for them, wouldn’t be a nurse in a facility for any amount of money. The nurses union is currently lobbying for mandated ratios but as all the studies have shown that higher RN to resident ratios is a good thing and the government still won’t make them law I’m not holding my breath.

13 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Anti parent immigration feelings are strong within the government and within a certain section of the Australian  public - you’ve only got to see some of the comments on Nick McKims Facebook page when they overturned the AOS changes! I’ve also seen comments on online newspaper articles. They are not not personal attacks against any one person  it’s just the posters railing against perceived costs to taxpayer etc  

Having said that in my annual  3 month visits for the last 12-13 years like you I’ve met nothing but kindness ! 

Think it's more like anti immigration stirred up by politicians to justify their past lack of investment in infrastructure

6 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

That is so frustrating for you.

In relation to your comment about the validity of medicals / police checks - my parents have only 4 months validity left. Immi requested the document preparation, medicals and police checks were completed in October 2017, as requested. What happens now??

• Sad 2