Guest guest36187

No I didnt send the email as thier email arrived before I could.

Went for my medical this morning, thought I would sail through - but shock horror they found blood in urine. So they send it for further tests send the results of that test to DIAC and depending on what the results are ????? more waiting.

Moira

Oh… But I reckon there shouldn’t be anything serious, right? Will hope for the best Moira. Take care!

Rgds, June

Just thought you might be interested - my dad emailed the Perth office yesterday, they let him know they are allocating case officers to those who lodged before 8th July 2011 at the moment.

Think he's a bit despondent - they were hoping to be out here by Christmas next year and they don't think it will happen now! (lodged in August 2012).

Please tell your Dad not to be despondent, Nicola.

This is their standard response, even over the telephone when you think you're establishing a relationship with a HUMAN BEING!

In practice, work on 14-16 months from the date you get an acknowledgement and you won't be disappointed.

I know this to be true, like many other people here on the forum who have had their visas in this time-frame.

Good luck and "chins up!"

John & Eirian

To Wei12 from timeline http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php

Sorry to bother but just want to know

Why do you have the future "CO Date" - 24.10.2012?

We have the same "Ackn.Date" 01.08.2011 like you have.

Do you have any information about "CO Date" from Parent Visa Centre?

Thank you in advance!

Please don't fret, Lilu.

If your acknowledged date is 1 Aug 2011, I'd bet you will get your visa really soon. I'd say by 1 Dec 2012 at the latest.

In fact, I'm surprised that you haven't got your CO yet, but the visas follow in a couple of weeks after that.

Keep hopeful.

John & Eirian

Can i ask please...... how many parents that have paid all that money out for visa have actually gone back to the UK? just a thought would having paid out make you try harder to make it work?? just a question thats all...

thanks Tab xx

I do know that there is some talk of the UK government maybe rethinking freezing the state pension for those living in Australia, not that I think it will make a lot of difference. This is because so many pensioners are returning to the UK as they can no longer afford to live here. This of course puts pressure on the Health Service and Social Security. We loved it here after coming on holiday for many years and when we forked out for the CPV it was with the intention of staying here. Since starting the process, however, the exchange rate has gone pear shaped, so we still haven't bought a house here - OH isn' really happy with the style and quality of Australian houses - and if we do will have to set our sights a lot lower than we had anticipated when we first started this process.. We are finding it very expensive here especially in WA and are not able to live the lifestyle that we had anticipated and are aware that we could have a much better standard of living back in the UK. It's not something you can really gauge till you live here. Having said that we still have a couple of pensions which we have not yet started to draw, so I guess the crunch will be to see how we go and whether the exchange rate bucks up.

We love being with our family and young grandchildren and that's priceless, but don't feel entirely at home here. I know some people have said they don't care about living frugally as long as they can be with their family. However, we still have a daughter in the UK, but she has expressed an interest in moving to Australia maybe some time in the future, so we would like to stay here and see if we can get citizenship to keep our options open. It wouldn't be spending the money that would cause us to make more of an effort, but the fact that we had both our kids here. We do feel torn at the moment but if we can get citizenship then spending the money won't have been in vain.

Hi there

I was very interested to read your post. I am wondering what difference having citizenship would make a difference for you.

Thank you

Moira

I do know that there is some talk of the UK government maybe rethinking freezing the state pension for those living in Australia, not that I think it will make a lot of difference. This is because so many pensioners are returning to the UK as they can no longer afford to live here. This of course puts pressure on the Health Service and Social Security. We loved it here after coming on holiday for many years and when we forked out for the CPV it was with the intention of staying here. Since starting the process, however, the exchange rate has gone pear shaped, so we still haven't bought a house here - OH isn' really happy with the style and quality of Australian houses - and if we do will have to set our sights a lot lower than we had anticipated when we first started this process.. We are finding it very expensive here especially in WA and are not able to live the lifestyle that we had anticipated and are aware that we could have a much better standard of living back in the UK. It's not something you can really gauge till you live here. Having said that we still have a couple of pensions which we have not yet started to draw, so I guess the crunch will be to see how we go and whether the exchange rate bucks up.

We love being with our family and young grandchildren and that's priceless, but don't feel entirely at home here. I know some people have said they don't care about living frugally as long as they can be with their family. However, we still have a daughter in the UK, but she has expressed an interest in moving to Australia maybe some time in the future, so we would like to stay here and see if we can get citizenship to keep our options open. It wouldn't be spending the money that would cause us to make more of an effort, but the fact that we had both our kids here. We do feel torn at the moment but if we can get citizenship then spending the money won't have been in vain.

On the same theme.........

I believe I'm right in thinking if you go for the 173 you don't have to pay the AoS unless you then either go for or opt to updrade to the 143 and I know you then get it back after 10 years :swoon: or what's left of it (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

This being the case what if you decide after say 5 years Oz is not for you for some reason do you get it back and if so how/when.

Thanks

Phoebe

Hi there

I was very interested to read your post. I am wondering what difference having citizenship would make a difference for you.

Thank you

Moira

I have assumed that once you have citizenship, you would be entitled to live here without having to repeat the Visa process.

As British Citizens who have moved here on Permanent Resident Visas, we would (if we so wished) be allowed to move back to the UK without having to apply for a Visa so my assumption is that once you take up Australian Citizenship, you would be able to move back to Australia if you have lived elsewhere for a period of time.

Does anyone know if that logic is correct?

I have assumed that once you have citizenship, you would be entitled to live here without having to repeat the Visa process.

As British Citizens who have moved here on Permanent Resident Visas, we would (if we so wished) be allowed to move back to the UK without having to apply for a Visa so my assumption is that once you take up Australian Citizenship, you would be able to move back to Australia if you have lived elsewhere for a period of time.

Does anyone know if that logic is correct?

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. Once you have been resident for 4 years you are eligible to take up Australian Citizenship thus allowing you to have an Australian passport. You can still keep your British passport as well. So, you exit and enter Australia on the Australian passport and enter and exit UK on the British passport. Once you have both passports, you can please yourself where you live..................always assuming you have the funds!

A friend of mine has done this, he lived and worked in Brisbane for just over 4 years, got his citizenship and passport then came back to the UK to work some more. He intends to retire in Oz in a few years and meanwhile, his Brisbane home is earning a nice little nest egg from his tenant.

We'll be lucky if we can afford a tent when we get to Oz the way its going with the housing market in the UK at the mo!

regards, Val x

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. Once you have been resident for 4 years you are eligible to take up Australian Citizenship thus allowing you to have an Australian passport. You can still keep your British passport as well. So, you exit and enter Australia on the Australian passport and enter and exit UK on the British passport. Once you have both passports, you can please yourself where you live..................always assuming you have the funds!

A friend of mine has done this, he lived and worked in Brisbane for just over 4 years, got his citizenship and passport then came back to the UK to work some more. He intends to retire in Oz in a few years and meanwhile, his Brisbane home is earning a nice little nest egg from his tenant.

We'll be lucky if we can afford a tent when we get to Oz the way its going with the housing market in the UK at the mo!

regards, Val x

So if you moved to Oz on a CPV143 then moved back to the UK after a while then decided to move back to Oz you would have to pay all over again?

Am I reading that right?

Phoebe

Hello All

Just had to spread the good news.........

I am a Grandma again!!

About 5pm in Sydney, Lauren Grace was born, weighing 3.55kg and wearing a shock of dark hair!!

As she is a little early, I tried to change my Singapore Airlines flight to one a week earlier, but they came back with a price of an additional £648

Needless to say, I will be travelling on the original dates and will be in Sydney until 22nd November should anyone fancy a coffee.

Sorry this isn't about visa, but just HAD to tell the good news.

Cheers Pam

Congratulations Pam and John! Definitely meet up when you are in Sydney. I see Fiz regularly and also John and Eirian. I will PM you my mobile no.

Marian and Ian

Hi there

Thank you

Moira

When you get your CPV permanent visa you have 5 years to settle here. During this time you can come and go as you please. If you leave after this time, and are not a citizen with an Australian passport, you need to apply for a Resident Return visa in order to re-enter Australia. In order to get this there are rules and regulations about how long you have to have spent in Australia. So, basically, if we were to return to the UK without having got citizenship, we may have difficulty getting back into Australia at a later date. If both our kids were here, we might want to retunr at a later date, so having citizenship would allow us to do that.

Edited by Bridgeman

So if you moved to Oz on a CPV143 then moved back to the UK after a while then decided to move back to Oz you would have to pay all over again?

Am I reading that right?

Phoebe[/quote

You can come and go for five years on your CPV as you wish. So you could return to the UK and then come back again, no problem within the five years from date of visa grant. The problems arise should you wish to return after the five years and are not a citizen. In order to get a visa which allows you to return you would need to apply for the Resident Return visa, (costs between $300 and about $3000 depending on your status at the time). In order to get the RRV you need to have spent at least 2 out of the 5 years in Australia. The rules relating to RRV have just changed and you used to be able to get a five year visa, but now you only get a year, so if you were to leave again you would need to apply for the RRV to enter again. Having citizenship just makes it less complicated.

Once you are granted the temp 173 does it work the same as other visas? As in you get a year to validate and then 5 years to move out? Just wondered how the 2 years to apply for the 143 would work and when you'd need to apply once you'd validated?

Yes, you get a year to validate, but no, you don't get 5 years to move out. The 173 is a temporary visa for 2 years only and you need to apply for the 143 permanent visa before the 2 years are up.

Am I reading that right?

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

I'm attaching a section of my 143 grant letter so you can read what it says directly from DIAC;

Resident Return Visa (RRV)

Once the initial permission to travel and return to Australia ceases, permanent residentsneed to apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) if they wish to travel overseas andreturn to Australia as a permanent resident. An RRV is the label that is placed in thepassport which identifies the holder as a permanent resident at immigration clearanceon return to Australia. It is evidence of permission to enter Australia after absencesoverseas and to resume residence.Eligibility for an RRV is generally based on the amount of time spent in Australia as apermanent resident, although there are some concessions for people who cannot meetthe residential requirements. If a person departs Australia without an RRV, or itexpires while they are overseas and they are not eligible for a further RRV, that personwill lose their right to return to Australia as a permanent resident. Further informationabout RRV is available at any DIAC office in Australia or overseas or can be obtained

from the DIAC website.

I'm not too sure if the time spent outside of Australia would have an impact on qualifying for citizenship - the rules are certainly not easy to follow. Each individual is unique; some might migrate and never go back to UK but others, for whatever reason, may have to come and go. Even though we have our 143 now, we are nowhere near ready to go permanently as we have the house to sell and the business to finalise. This too has posed many different scenarios as we don't know if we will get jobs. One idea we had was to see if OH could do 6 months here then 6 months there which would at least give us an income but not sure how do-able this would be. Hope this helps, Val x

Edited by vava
font size

Hello All

I am a Grandma again!!

About 5pm in Sydney, Lauren Grace was born, weighing 3.55kg and wearing a shock of dark hair!!

As she is a little early, I tried to change my Singapore Airlines flight to one a week earlier, but they came back with a price of an additional £648

Needless to say, I will be travelling on the original dates and will be in Sydney until 22nd November should anyone fancy a coffee.

Cheers Pam

Congratulations - wonderful news!

Hello All

I am a Grandma again!!

Cheers Pam

We are all meeting on October 27th if you're in Sydney by then....otherwise I am sure we'll find a time in November. Mike and Sue have just arrived back too and they'll be there on the 27th...

Rgds

Fiz

Hi all, just wondering if someone knows the answer to this question.We are in Oz on the Temporary 173 CP Visa - do we qualify to purchase a property or do we have to wait until we have applied for and hopefully got the Permanent 143 Visa. I have contacted a solicitor who didn't know but will try and find out and get back to us in a few days. I also asked our Case Officer if she was aware of any restrictions and although she did not know the answer, at least she sent a link for the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) but that is not very clear either - it talks of non-residents and purchasing new-build only.We have found a property we would like to purchase - in fact we have put in an offer today - so if anyone can throw any light on this would be much appreciated.Val x

Hello All

I am a Grandma again!!

Cheers Pam

Fantastic News Pam! Many congratualtions! Angie x

Question - I have just received all the forms to claim my UK State Pension. Does anyone out in PIO land receive their State Pension direct into an Australian Bank Account and if so, how does the exchange rate compare? The paperwork states that "you will benefit from competitive exchange rates based on bulk buying of currency". Does anyone have any personal experience to substantiate that claim?

All our other pensions and annuities are paid into our UK Bank, we use our UK Post Office Credit Card for our normal monthly expenses and pay this via the internet from the sterling account and then transfer out any surplus funds that accumulate once or twice a year when the exchange rate is favourable. Just wondering whether to have my State pension transferred directly every month instead of going into the UK bank account - at least here it would earn interest from date of receipt whilst in the UK it would earn next to nothing and based on our first year here, our outgoings are less than our income (based on credit card spend only - we pay our utility bills from our Australian account in $).

Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons - every penny, sorry cent, counts!

Just had another thought - does anyone know if you choose to have the pension paid into a UK account, can you change your mind at a later date and have it paid into an Australian account, or vice versa? Are you locked into the first decision you make forever?

Edited by DavidandGill