I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

No, we have not had chip and pin for credit cards until earlier this year - we have been signing slips all this time in fact UK were well ahead on the credit card front. Some shops still dont have the technology for the chip and pin and even if you put your pin in you still end up signing.

thats funny, we were using chip and pin in 07 when we were there

Not for credit cards, they only introduced them this year. Other accounts had pins but not credit card accounts for some inexplicable reason unless UK credit cards worked here with a pin, must say I never tried that out as I never needed to use my UK card here.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, we have not had chip and pin for credit cards until earlier this year - we have been signing slips all this time in fact UK were well ahead on the credit card front. Some shops still dont have the technology for the chip and pin and even if you put your pin in you still end up signing.

thats funny, we were using chip and pin in 07 when we were there

And I have been using it since the early 90s with my Visa. Maybe they forgot about Canberra!:smile:

Guest TheArmChairDetective

And I have been using it since the early 90s with my Visa. Maybe they forgot about Canberra!:smile:

You beat me to it.

You beat me to it.

Yes but you cant use a debit card because they are not linked to visa so you cant get anything off tinternet. I play ozlottery on line but have to use my uk card because you cant use the bank card. With a credit card you cannot withdraw funds to it . I have a punt on the irish lotto with betfred or a dabble on the horses and thats when I found out you could not withdraw your winnings to a card so now use paypal but up the creek if I get really lucky

Mally

Dont think so. Have you not been signing the little slips that come out of the machine - not the big slidey manual machine thingie. Or is your Visa a debit card? This year is the first that there have been pins on credit cards in Aus for use in eftpos machines and some shops still dont have the technology to accept the pins so you have to sign the till roll type slip that comes out of the eftpos machine. Some people still dont know that they can put their credit card pin into the machines and just select credit/ok then wait to sign the slip.

Savings and cheque accounts, no worries, been using the pin for years but not credit accounts.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Yes but you cant use a debit card because they are not linked to visa so you cant get anything off tinternet. I play ozlottery on line but have to use my uk card because you cant use the bank card. With a credit card you cannot withdraw funds to it . I have a punt on the irish lotto with betfred or a dabble on the horses and thats when I found out you could not withdraw your winnings to a card so now use paypal but up the creek if I get really lucky

Mally

There must be different rules in different states.

I first encountered electronic banking (efpos) in Melbourne in 1999, before it was introduced in the UK.

There must be different rules in different states.

I first encountered electronic banking (efpos) in Melbourne in 1999, before it was introduced in the UK.

Not eftpos per se but using a CREDIT account at an eftpos machine. The chip and pin for CREDIT accounts only made its way to Australia this year. Savings and cheque accounts have used a pin for aeons. Until about July whenever you used a CREDIT account at an eftpos machine the little till roll churned out a slip which you had to sign and then it churned out a receipt for you. Perhaps you just dont have a credit account because I assure you this is NEW this year in ALL states.

Fighting fraud with chip & PIN - Cover Story - CRN Australia

HomeATM Internet PIN Debit Blog: More on Australia's PEN or PIN Program

Edited to add and to avoid further confusion - I am talking only here of eftpos (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale) machines - the ones you get in shops not atms (automatic teller machines) which have had pin access for years also.

I would like to re-inforce, ten-fold the size of Australia as a physical country...

:hug:

It's much bigger than its population for one thing, but for another thing the sheer size also means that it can't ALL be bad!

I think it's definitely a matter of personal preference and what you like, so as awful as your situation is - then maybe it's a bit extreme to say you HATE it that much. Maybe you're just in the wrong place? :unsure:

Dont think so. Have you not been signing the little slips that come out of the machine - not the big slidey manual machine thingie. Or is your Visa a debit card? This year is the first that there have been pins on credit cards in Aus for use in eftpos machines and some shops still dont have the technology to accept the pins so you have to sign the till roll type slip that comes out of the eftpos machine. Some people still dont know that they can put their credit card pin into the machines and just select credit/ok then wait to sign the slip.

Savings and cheque accounts, no worries, been using the pin for years but not credit accounts.

No, I haven't been signing.

yep it was my debit card!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Thought I would suggest these links regarding debate about Australia for immigrants, possibly nothing to do with Australia but "Culture Shock", happens to anyone from 1st day in any new country up to 5 years.....

Culture shock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WorldWide Classroom: About Culture Shock

If you read these I am sure everybody identifies with symptons outlined.

Cheers Andrew

Guest itskaren
Thought I would suggest these links regarding debate about Australia for immigrants, possibly nothing to do with Australia but "Culture Shock", happens to anyone from 1st day in any new country up to 5 years.....

Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew

I was the original post. I was having a bad day at the time of the post. It is a bit harsh to state that 'I Hate Australia!'. I am relunctant to add to this as it goes 'straight to the top of the tree!'. I am feeling a lot better now thanks for the links.

I am interested in the cert 4 IV assessor and training. I live in Melbourne. Do I just click on the Melbourne link? Thanks.

Guest maxytiff

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I moved to Ireland nearly four years ago from London where i was born and bred, we are relocating to Oz in February from Ireland tho me and my boyfriend are both from london. I absolutely HATED ireland when when we moved here, i mean HATED it and if hadn't been for the fact that my whole family lives here i would've been back to london in a shot, then after a couple of years i just sort of started to settle in without even realising it. I didn't think i'd ever settle here and i would compare everything to how it was back 'home', the driving, weather, shops, peoples mentality, peoples attitude's, lifestyle e.t.c. e.t.c.! Don't get me wrong i still do get annoyed at certain things especially the driving, then i'll pop back to london to see OH family and i'll realise that some drivers in London are just as bad as they are in Ireland and the weather is just as bad and that some people are muppets in uk like they are in Ireland. I think its just easier to moan about the country where you were born as its your home and when you relocate to a new country on top of all the everyday s**t that you have to put up with you also have to contend with the fact that your not a local and you are in fact a foriegner. Who knows I might get to Oz and hate it too and be on the first flight home but it honestly really does get easier with time when you move. I hope everyone is not thinking for me to shut up as i only moved from england to ireland so what do i know, but uk and eire couldn't be more different. I really hope that everyone who is sad in Oz settles in soon and starts to love it there. Also one more thing, I used to get really angry when I was made to feel like a foriegner here or if people used to call me a 'tan' (as in black in tan) and then i started to think that not everyone is the same and it isn't everyone that makes me feel like that so why would i hate Ireland because of just a handle of people. Now i love Ireland and i totally feel like i've intergrated here and i embrace everything as though i belong here, just as that happens we are upping sticks and monving to Oz so i have to go through it all again.lol!

Good luck to everyone. xx

Cheers Andrew

Definately a worthwhile read, I would recommend it to anyone making a move to a different country, I have done it all once before and I thought that I was nuts the way that I felt about the UK over the years of living here, but Andrews info puts it all into focus. I especailly can relate to the reverse culture shock, as I have experienced it when visiting S. Africa on holiday. Had no problems getting on the plane to come back to the UK Thanks for the Links Andrew.

Cheers Craig

Agree! - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Much of this Moving Process is just about becoming familiar with a different Lifestyle, Values, Outlook, Culture, ways of doing things, and adjustment & adaptation takes TIME!... To me, Moving around from place to place is a great experience, (I call it the Great Educator!) as it forces people out of their comfort zone & gets them looking at Life & Living from a completely different perspective, yet from a vantage point that other people from that culture/environment experience everyday... I think we forget that Our Way of Doing Things and living is NOT the only way of Living, that there are better or at least MANY different ways of getting successfully through Life than merely how we are accustomed to, and often erroneously believe to be the ONLY way... It's often only by stepping outside the box that we can begin, not only to learn about others, but about ourselves, too.

Doesn't mean you're still not going to miss things, or that your adopted home will become a copy of the one you left behind, but my hope is that it will deliver a new understanding for how other people live, offer an opportunity to explore different ways of Living and enrich and develop our lives beyond what would have been possible had we Stayed at Home...

It's not always going to be EASY... But then often learning or doing anything of real value is going to take some effort! All the best on your new Adventure Maxytiff, I'm sure your experiences of living in Ireland will stand you in good stead for OZ (thou' you might miss the GREENERY!) & to everyone else changing Lives...

Thanks for that Herbster - wise words indeed.

I always say that problems are there to point you in another direction, and it takes guts and flexability to work through it.

Yup! Thanks for the Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to express it... I just want peeps to enjoy their Life - we only have one & while that doesn't mean we have to climb Everest or cure Cancer to make it worthwhile, I think everyone's Life would be easier & more enjoyable if we could all understand each other a little more; be prepared to be flexible in our approach to what Life throws at us and realize that a degree of adaptability can go a long way to giving us the Life we need maybe, rather than the Life we Expect?

But that's still not to say I don't appreciate people's feelings of Culture Shock, 'cos I do - but to reassure them that it is natural & chances are, given Time, ETC., they will get over it!

Hi Andrew

I was the original post. I was having a bad day at the time of the post. It is a bit harsh to state that 'I Hate Australia!'. I am relunctant to add to this as it goes 'straight to the top of the tree!'. I am feeling a lot better now thanks for the links.

I am interested in the cert 4 IV assessor and training. I live in Melbourne. Do I just click on the Melbourne link? Thanks.

just wanted to say that im made up your feeling better, i can only imagine what you have been through but great to hear your feeling better,and all of this will only make you stronger,good luck

Guest tillybelle

Im 100 % with you on this ..... Ive been here 14 months and detest it ....bloody cavemen thats what they are !!!!! lol

Guest earlswood
Im 100 % with you on this ..... Ive been here 14 months and detest it ....bloody cavemen thats what they are !!!!! lol

Short and to the point...where are you Tilly?

Archived