I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

Guest itskaren

We have been here a year in December and detest this country. Sorry if I upset anyone but it is a backward country in camparison to the UK. The banking, nursing for sure, supermarkets, I could go on for ever.

The UK is not really that bad! Just make sure anyone who is in the process of coming over that it really is not the land of milk and honey!

Good luck is all I say!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Itskaren,

Oooh dear soz to hear that your not happy, i do agree with you thou & if you read back through my many posts you will see that i was one of the biggest moaners about oz around !!!!. (many of the long term folk on this site would agree with this) lol, I hated oz for a long long while & in many ways still do, but time has made me put up (case of having too) and also made me realise its not so bad just takes alot of getting used too. Having been here 2 years plus now, it really is only the last few months that i have felt much happier & have got up with a smile on my face in the mornings.

As you say the uk is not that bad - well i reckon compared to oz its bloody wonderful & is full steam ahead in everything (except surfing & the sunshine !!!)

All i can say to you is you can either pack up & go or try it out a little longer, honest it really does get better with time. But i guess that depends where your heart really is, i left mine behind for sure, but finannces sadly keep me here in oz

Keep us all updated on what you decide to do & how you are feeling.

I hope things get better for you & you begin to feel more at home here.

All the best

stuju (english & proud)

No one hate this place more than me, but you can't just spontaneously say you hate the place without qualifying the statement with your reasons why..

I agree BTW except the nursing bit:wubclub:

Sorry you are so unhappy but why did you think the supermarkets, work, all the other things would be the same as the UK it really bothers me that people think its UK in Aus its not, and Aus people like it the way it is. Any person in marketing would change the way things are done in a minute if people demanded it, they don't.

I lived here for a few years got married and went to the UK and I was like you in the UK winge winge winge, finally I got used to it and liked it and then returned here and the same winge winge winge and got used to it again.

Please people realise its different, different and its nothing like UK, Aussies are not into curry in a big way, they are not into the local boozer, the supermarkets do not make lots of prepared food, they did try a while ago and no-one bought it.

Vegemite is the go, not marmite, cold beer, large hotels, loud people, blunt people all that stuff.

Its a lovely place but it is not Britain and it never ever will be and with all the new migrants its getting more asian by the day.

Is ok to hate it here but what bothers me is that people come here and waste their money and time chasing something that does not exist, well it can't exist if you can't find it.

Good luck on your return to UK but watch the job market the BBC site is saying its in depression now.

:smile:

Deep breaths Karen...you having a bad day?

I have been here 2 year on Thursday and leaving 5 weeks on Thursday and I have to say that although I can TOTALY empathise with what you say ...if you cant leave then you will have to look for the positives or you will drive yourself crazy.

You need a plan then stick to it...thats what I have done and since then I have actually enjoyed my time here... you cant keep looking back at what you had...make goals for where you really want to be.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow. :wubclub:

I try to convince myself that australia aint that bad and the people are really not that bad...then i get in the car and as son as i'm on the road i hate all aussies and their stupid country...:wacko:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Where do you work (nursing)? Why dont u like that? not a critiscism I am just interested. Nursing is definately different here. More paperwork adn less patient contact, thats for sure!!!

Good on ya for sticking it out for the year. Where in Oz are you?

The UK is not bad at all but it all depends what you are looking for when you come to Oz. I was looking for change of lifestyle. We got that! And into the bargain I got a roster that matches my husbands! We have more time together here than we had in 10 years in the UK!

Good Luck with whatever you do and shout if we can help.

Dont be a stranger either xx

Hi.

That's a real shame that you are so unhappy. And that really won't do! Thank god everyone is different or we would all be living in one place, and that would be horrible. You mustn't feel guilty about disliking Australia. I don't feel guilty about disliking England.

I hope that you can overcome your problems there. And if not then good luck with your return to the UK. I just hope it lives up to your hopes in giving you back your happiness.

Kate

Guest earlswood

A place in the sun and all those flowery programmes that only film with a glories scene in the background have got a lot to answer for when it comes to people finding Australia not up to their expectations.

Why don’t they give a balanced view of Oz warts and all.

Australia is the same as the UK with all the crime and anti-social behaviour with the youth as it is the world over.

You can make a good life for yourselves in either Country but I wish their was a TV programme that gave a “REAL” view of OZ with the good as well as the bad bits as they always do when it comes to showing life in the UK.

Have you notices the BBC always shows what’s bad about the UK.

Guest earlswood
Sorry you are so unhappy but why did you think the supermarkets, work, all the other things would be the same as the UK it really bothers me that people think its UK in Aus its not, and Aus people like it the way it is. Any person in marketing would change the way things are done in a minute if people demanded it, they don't.

I lived here for a few years got married and went to the UK and I was like you in the UK winge winge winge, finally I got used to it and liked it and then returned here and the same winge winge winge and got used to it again.

Please people realise its different, different and its nothing like UK, Aussies are not into curry in a big way, they are not into the local boozer, the supermarkets do not make lots of prepared food, they did try a while ago and no-one bought it.

Vegemite is the go, not marmite, cold beer, large hotels, loud people, blunt people all that stuff.

Its a lovely place but it is not Britain and it never ever will be and with all the new migrants its getting more asian by the day.

Is ok to hate it here but what bothers me is that people come here and waste their money and time chasing something that does not exist, well it can't exist if you can't find it.

Good luck on your return to UK but watch the job market the BBC site is saying its in depression now.

:smile:

Yes it is getting more asian by the day and they are equal like the Brits arriving in every way unlike in the UK, upside with all the asians arriving is that the standard of the local curries should get better....the reasons the Aussies are not into Curry "forgetmenot" is because they have never tasted a decent one.

Guest lynnjez

Sorry you are having a bad time Karen, and Australia hasnt lived up to your hopes. Hope things get better for you x

personally though...and I am speaking personally here......I hope that Australia is completely different to Uk in every way......whether that means behing the times in technology, services etc or just that the culture is completely different. I would be dissapointed if it isnt as this is the reason we want to come and live there in the first place.

Best wishes for the future

Lynn

Guest Halinancy
My brother was murdered.

OH my god Karen, that is just awful, I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy and your terrible loss. I can totally understand why you would want to get out of the UK, after something like that happening and start again. I think us Brits, have this picture of life being like paradise in Oz, and completely different and better than the Uk. However, after reading various threads from people who have actually taken the plunge, it seems that the UK is not such a bad place after all, and there are similar problems in Oz, the same as here. It seems that there is also bad crime in Oz, although I don't think they have knife crime like here.

What else is it that you really don't like? Maybe come back to the UK for a short break/ holiday and see how you feel, if your finances allow that.

Bye for now, love Hali

Guest earlswood
Sorry you are having a bad time Karen, and Australia hasnt lived up to your hopes. Hope things get better for you x

personally though...and I am speaking personally here......I hope that Australia is completely different to Uk in every way......whether that means behing the times in technology, services etc or just that the culture is completely different. I would be dissapointed if it isnt as this is the reason we want to come and live there in the first place.

Lynn

Hi Lyn, its not different with crime and youth on drugs and booze if that is what you are trying to escape from, but if you are coming for a quieter slower place with less pubs and nightlife and a shopping culture that is like the UK 30 years ago then you will love it…I think it is good for families and older couples to be honest but for a single person used to the UK style of life it can seem very boring and frustrating to be honest.

Hi Karen

I just wanted to say that you're a brave woman being so honest here, especially about disliking Australia, you know that all those who love it will have a lot to say to you!!!!

I feel a lot like you that the country is backward in many ways and that the UK isn't all that bad after all. It took coming here to realise it. I think you have try it coz otherwise you'll never know.

Like people advise on all these posts, I'm trying to get into life here, we've made lots of friends and I don't complain all the time.

BUT I'm putting it all down to experience and I don't know when it will be but I look forward to going 'home' to England.

If you ever want to moan feel free to PM me.

Chin up and don't worry, you're not alone.

Lynn

ever considered Iraq?

Sorry you are so unhappy but why did you think the supermarkets, work, all the other things would be the same as the UK it really bothers me that people think its UK in Aus its not, and Aus people like it the way it is. Any person in marketing would change the way things are done in a minute if people demanded it, they don't....I lived here for a few years got married and went to the UK and I was like you in the UK winge winge winge, finally I got used to it and liked it and then returned here and the same winge winge winge and got used to it again....Please people realise its different, different and its nothing like UK, Aussies are not into curry in a big way, they are not into the local boozer, the supermarkets do not make lots of prepared food, they did try a while ago and no-one bought it...Vegemite is the go, not marmite, cold beer, large hotels, loud people, blunt people all that stuff...Its a lovely place but it is not Britain and it never ever will be and with all the new migrants its getting more asian by the day....Is ok to hate it here but what bothers me is that people come here and waste their money and time chasing something that does not exist, well it can't exist if you can't find it...Good luck on your return to UK but watch the job market the BBC site is saying its in depression now....

And the BBC should know, being how many jobs they've slashed in the last few years!! I know, OZ isn't perfect, but I'm sure glad I'm here with what's going on in UK now, & I feel so sorry for my family & friends that are stuck there...

I'm sure there must be 2 major camps of migrants, apart from those fleeing Tyranny (UK excepted!) There are the folks that follow their Dreams - blindly, and only see, hear and believe what they WANT to believe! Then there are those that Research, Evaluate and Constantly Adjust their Dreams to fit their personal needs,work demands, and lifestyle expectations. As I said somewhere before, just being in OZ does not guarantee that you'll be any better off than you would have been in a dozen different places in the UK. OZ is a huge place, States vary, regions differ, climates are not the same, shopping's not the same, attitudes differ, - but it's still OZ! For many people, they probably never needed to leave UK in order to have better, happier, more fulfilled lives; they just needed to realistically evaluate their individual circumstances & look around for a place that would match & meet those needs - at least try one relocation, or even consider Europe if there are more POSITIVES to being in UK/Europe than Negatives in OZ... Only come to OZ if you're really sure you know there's a place for you that fits YOU - or you are natuarally adaptable!

I know many of you think that if the sun shines more that will make every other problem pale into insignificance! It's true, sunshine does make you feel better, but maybe not enough to counter all the other aspects of Aussie life you don't like! And take today - we've had loads of sunshine, but that hasn't stopped a raging gale & persistant squalls that have driven me mad!

And those that believe just being here will be better No Matter What! Might be in for a rude awakening too! So, we just implore that you consider carefully the reasons for moving out here. Being happy with any Visa can be a costly mistake too, if you are then not in a position to make the most of OZ. Should your visa commit you to some god-forsaken place or company for two years, for example, from your supposedly uncomfortable patch in UK, that might sound a doddle, but once you've left everything behind, and moved over to a place you might barely find on a map, two years is going to seem an awful long time if the job or location doesn't suit you or meet your needs. :cry: All we're saying is the tired but TRUE cliche, Look Beofre YOU Leap! Pleaseeee, we just don't want you to be unhappy, wasting money, being miserable and hating Life - it's too short, honestly, you have to KNOW what you want before you can FIND it! :spinny:

All the best, guys, but you never know; what you want & what you need might be right round the corner if you look!

xXx

Hi Lyn, its not different with crime and youth on drugs and booze if that is what you are trying to escape from, but if you are coming for a quieter slower place with less pubs and nightlife and a shopping culture that is like the UK 30 years ago then you will love it…I think it is good for families and older couples to be honest but for a single person used to the UK style of life it can seem very boring and frustrating to be honest.

Earlswood - even for a family with kids it's frustraing. I find that their education system is so behind and it just feels like kids aren't educated at the same rate and level as in the UK.

I worked in childcare in the UK so admit that I am a tough one to please. But here, I haven't found a nursery that pleases me at all.

The child/staff ratios are different, the amount of qualified staff in a room is a lot less and there is no early years curriculum. They encourage kids to sleep in the day (when mine stopped day resting nearly a year ago).

I could go on but I'll stop there.

That's another frustration to make people aware of!

Guest taffy 62

Hi Karen,

I know you have hated Oz since day 1, as I moved to Brisbane at the same time as you moved here and I can remember your post as I felt the same as you.

I'm so sorry your still unhappy.

I know you dont want to take your kids out of school as they are happy, but it may be worth it to try another part of Oz before you decide to go back to the Uk, or by trying to stick it out and feeling worse as time goes on.

I stuck Brisbane for 9 months, never thought I would last that long, I have just moved back home to country Vic there are nurses jobs here, and I have heard that nursing is different in the country. The lifestyle and schools are good too.

I'm hoping I have made the right decision only time will tell.

Otherwise try and go back for a couple of weeks you may see things differently.

Feel free to pm me or chat on chat anytime.

Take care x.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Earlswood - even for a family with kids it's frustraing. I find that their education system is so behind and it just feels like kids aren't educated at the same rate and level as in the UK.

I worked in childcare in the UK so admit that I am a tough one to please. But here, I haven't found a nursery that pleases me at all.

The child/staff ratios are different, the amount of qualified staff in a room is a lot less and there is no early years curriculum. They encourage kids to sleep in the day (when mine stopped day resting nearly a year ago).

I could go on but I'll stop there.

That's another frustration to make people aware of!

My niece is a school teacher in Melbourne, I'll pm her your thoughts and see what she makes of the education system, as a mother of two children (now 14 and 11) she might have some alternative possibilities for you to consider, and then again she might not:smile:

My brother was murdered.

Karen

I am so sorry to hear of what happend and I can only imagine what you must have gone through. After that it would have been enough for anyone to leave the UK, however it wouldnt have changed what happend.

Now please dont think that i am having a go, cos really I am far far from it, however you wernt happy when you went to Mount Martha when you first got here so you moved (good on ya for trying) but your still not happy now. Moving to the other side of the world is a big thing and it needs a lot of thought and I am just wondering if you done this in the "moment" if so then it was never going to work because what happend to your brother happened wether your in UK or Australia and moving to Australia wont change that. First things first you should try and come to terms with what happend to your brother before you can be happy in your life wether it be in UK, Australia or wherever!!

I wish you luck in what ever you decide

Deb xx

Oh Karen, (((hugs))) yup, sometimes it sux having to live at the a*se end of the world and lots of us can empathise with what you are going through. If there is anything we can do/say which will help (maybe b*gger the lot of them!!!!) please do get in touch - you will know the folk on here who will be receptive!

Meanwhile, chocolate or wine are recommended on days like these - pick your poison:wacko:

Archived