I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

l totally 100% agree with you, OZ is a foreign country very different from the UK, those who expect it to be the UK with sunshine or some kind of British colony will hate it.

Apart from being part of the British commonwealth, nearly all Place names, road names, park names, people names being of British origin,; Driving on left, union jack on flag, queens head on money, TV, Rugby, Cricket, colonial style buildings, language, RAAF, HMAS's, ... its nothing like a British Colony :wink:

(idea for new thread)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest treesea
So overall the Poms are bad people, so what are Australians then, not poms ?

Lovediving, are you for real? There aren't as many poms, or descendents of them for that matter, in Australia as you seem to think. From what I saw in the 11 years I lived in Melbourne, the predominant backgrounds were Greek, Italian, Lebanese and Vietnamese. I spent the '70s growing up in New Zealand after emigrating with my family when I was a kid. Certainly in Dunedin in the late 70s, the predominant group, and ethnic background when it came to descendants, were Scots. But nowadays the "descended from Britain" part of the population, even in New Zealand, let alone Australia, seem to be a pretty minor part of the landscape.

I wouldn't say Australia is anymore prejudiced towards POMs than any other country. But do keep in mind, if you are thinking of upping sticks and moving out there, that being an immigrant, anywhere, not just Australia, isn't the same as being native to your land, with your own land beneath your feet. Also, it depends where you come from in the U.K. Scots are probably going to have an easy time of it, - they are welcome everywhere, including Australia and New Zealand. If you are English, it is probably going to be tougher to get work and settle in, especially if you are from the south east.

Maybe our shopping centers are worse, I don't know
-OZnumba1

Don't be bizarre. The shopping in Australia is great. Westfield are currently colonizing Britain - says it all really, doesn't it. But then, Melbourne has 3.8 million people, Edinburgh has 450,000 or so, so I would expect the shopping to be a tad better in Melbourne. However, looking at this from a more global (LOL) NZ, Australia and Britain point of view, if I were responsible for stocking supermarket shelves, I would make sure every supermarket, in all three countries had ample supplies of Irn Bru, Dandelion and Burdock, Tizer, Mushy peas, maltesers (thank you Britain), vegemite, Milo, Kettle chips, affordable king prawns (yo Oz!) and, most important, (courtesy of NZ) Griffins gingernuts (still the best biscuits on the planet) luxury flakes, NZ made icecream - there is some just as nice over here in Britain, but it comes from Orkney Islands and costs the earth - minties, grass fed lamb that is affordable, Lemon and Paeroa, and pineapple chunks (and no, the Australian attempt at these just won't do.)

"So overall the Poms are bad people, so what are Australians then, not poms ?"

only those who are first generation, second generation are aussies, have a look at their passport. also even though I was born and bred in Cornwall, I have never called myself a pom or an Englishman, and very few Cornish folk would!

Oh c'mon, Australia is a mongrel country with people from all over the world now calling themselves Australian. Sadly though, they may have an Australian passport but they are still calling themselves Chinese Australians, Italian Australians, Greek Australians - whatever. I think, actually the Poms have probably been the best of the lot because you rarely have British Australian groups.

sounds as though you have never been to a naturalisation ceremony, and see those chinese, greek italian etc proudly declare they are Australian. I think it is wrong to call Australia a mongrel country! multicultural yes! Is Britain any different then, with all the different nationalities going there. Soon it will be called Greater Poland!

Guest earlswood
sounds as though you have never been to a naturalisation ceremony, and see those chinese, greek italian etc proudly declare they are Australian. I think it is wrong to call Australia a mongrel country! multicultural yes! Is Britain any different then, with all the different nationalities going there. Soon it will be called Greater Poland!

How:mask:poles make up 0.1 of the population

Guest earlswood
Two million Poles have arrived in Britain since EU borders were thrown open to eight east European countries in 2004.

UK lets in more Poles than there are in Warsaw

UK lets in more Poles than there are in Warsaw | Mail Online

I think that is a little bit more than 0.1%, that is if we are to believe British newspaper

The Daily Mail......please stop me laughing :twitcy:

Sorry, it is even less than 0.1% polish in the UK.

The ethnic breakdown of the UK population, derived from the 2001 census - still the latest figures

Total population - 58,789,194

White 54,153,898 (92.1 per cent)

All Asian or Asian British - 2,331,423 (4 per cent total)

Indian 1,053,411

Pakistani 747,285

Bangladeshi 283,063

Other Asian 247,664

Black or Black British 1,148,738

Chinese 247,403

Other ethnic groups 230,615

Mixed race 677,117

All minority ethnic groups 4,635,296 (7.9 per cent)

First it is the 2nd largest circulation after The Sun 2,279,927 daily readers, so you are laughing at a large percentage of your countrymen!

Next you are talking about the 2001 census, won't disagree there. But the figures I mentioned from "The Daily Mail" were figures from 2004 on, not 2001. Also you are saying they are still the latest figures! Come on Earlswood, I'm sure you have more intelligence than that

Guest lovediving

Treesa,

If you are going to extract a quote from my post can you extract it in the full context which was a discussion regarding with Poms did to cornish in history so therefore my comment was referring to then as in the past.

As for whether I up sticks and move to Australia I already have and live here and for your information I was born in New Zealand and do know Dunedin well and it is not a good example to compare Australia with for a couple of reasons 1, it is a university town so a lot of people come there from overseas to study and 2, the population is approx 200,000.

So scotts are welcome everywhere and Poms are going to have a harder time, alrighty then perhaps what I might do is start practising my Scottish accent so that I dont have a hard time here. Sorry but can't see the logic in that comment you made at all.

And if you are English it is even worse for you if you have a London accent, god help me no wonder I am having problems I came from South London.

Do you reckon I would fare better if I pretended I came from Liverpool perhaps.:laugh:

Lovediving, are you for real? There aren't as many poms, or descendents of them for that matter, in Australia as you seem to think. From what I saw in the 11 years I lived in Melbourne, the predominant backgrounds were Greek, Italian, Lebanese and Vietnamese. I spent the '70s growing up in New Zealand after emigrating with my family when I was a kid. Certainly in Dunedin in the late 70s, the predominant group, and ethnic background when it came to descendants, were Scots. But nowadays the "descended from Britain" part of the population, even in New Zealand, let alone Australia, seem to be a pretty minor part of the landscape.

I wouldn't say Australia is anymore prejudiced towards POMs than any other country. But do keep in mind, if you are thinking of upping sticks and moving out there, that being an immigrant, anywhere, not just Australia, isn't the same as being native to your land, with your own land beneath your feet. Also, it depends where you come from in the U.K. Scots are probably going to have an easy time of it, - they are welcome everywhere, including Australia and New Zealand. If you are English, it is probably going to be tougher to get work and settle in, especially if you are from the south east.

-OZnumba1

Don't be bizarre. The shopping in Australia is great. Westfield are currently colonizing Britain - says it all really, doesn't it. But then, Melbourne has 3.8 million people, Edinburgh has 450,000 or so, so I would expect the shopping to be a tad better in Melbourne. However, looking at this from a more global (LOL) NZ, Australia and Britain point of view, if I were responsible for stocking supermarket shelves, I would make sure every supermarket, in all three countries had ample supplies of Irn Bru, Dandelion and Burdock, Tizer, Mushy peas, maltesers (thank you Britain), vegemite, Milo, Kettle chips, affordable king prawns (yo Oz!) and, most important, (courtesy of NZ) Griffins gingernuts (still the best biscuits on the planet) luxury flakes, NZ made icecream - there is some just as nice over here in Britain, but it comes from Orkney Islands and costs the earth - minties, grass fed lamb that is affordable, Lemon and Paeroa, and pineapple chunks (and no, the Australian attempt at these just won't do.)

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Do you reckon I would fare better if I pretended I came from Liverpool perhaps.:laugh:

Only if you were in Devon or Kernow.

Guest earlswood
First it is the 2nd largest circulation after The Sun 2,279,927 daily readers, so you are laughing at a large percentage of your countrymen!

Next you are talking about the 2001 census, won't disagree there. But the figures I mentioned from "The Daily Mail" were figures from 2004 on, not 2001. Also you are saying they are still the latest figures! Come on Earlswood, I'm sure you have more intelligence than that

I have to question your intelligence though, the were from the last official home office national census with the last one in 2001.…now who do you believe the Daily Mail article probably written by some half-cut journalist who wrote it in his local curry house the night before publishing it or Home office for national statistics that carried out the last survey in 2001.

So do we have to wait until 2011 to get the latest figures' another section from the article quote "According to the ONS breakdown, there were over a million Polish arrivals in Britain last year, compared to just 325,000 in 2003".

Things have changed since 2001, and data is collected on an ongoing basis.

I still question your laughing at your own countrymen, or maybe you will tell me next it is aussies expats buying the paper and not poms!

Guest earlswood
So do we have to wait until 2011 to get the latest figures' another section from the article quote "According to the ONS breakdown, there were over a million Polish arrivals in Britain last year, compared to just 325,000 in 2003".

Things have changed since 2001, and data is collected on an ongoing basis.

I still question your laughing at your own countrymen, or maybe you will tell me next it is aussies expats buying the paper and not poms!

I only laugh at them if they believe everything that is written by the Daily Mail...also what is your problem with polish workers who I have found to be good workers and nice people …. Remember that over 92% of the UK population is white indigenous folk, so we are not really being overrun are we.

Guest paulwbafc

I see where your coming from about oz been a bit backwards and it is with regards to lack of choice. The UK is still crap thou in my opinion. I still remember my home town of dudley as been full of charity shops, a dirty town and doleys everywhere, which is going to triple now the economy has gone down the nick. 2 of my mates have lost there jobs already and another laid off doing 4 day week. Elec and Gas is double what i pay here in oz now and that s before the 40% increases this winter. Dark nights cold winters can stay in england. Also when i was walking down the street by my mums a west indian casually tossed an empty coke can over her shoulder in front of me blatantly. Litter and graffiti far worse than here in oz. Also oz is developing fast and it will catch up. Britain is i am afraid in reccesion which is reverse i am afraid. Only a muppet would return to england as the economy stands. also the tax payer is footing the billions of pounds payed to the banks as even less money is spent on hospitals and education. Britain is in a massive mess, i watch the news on foxtel sky news uk on the interactive and britain really is in dire straits at the moment. Good luck if you go back, just don't expect to get a job as there is none.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Having read some of the replies on this thread i for one think it's about time to get it back on it's original track and get off petty bickering, irrelevant comment and blatant politicking.

Treesa,

If you are going to extract a quote from my post can you extract it in the full context which was a discussion regarding with Poms did to cornish in history so therefore my comment was referring to then as in the past.

To start, I'm lost.

Here lovediving asks Treesa to post in a manner which you find acceptable, yet lovediving recently posted

Don't tell me to keep my opinions to myself as I will do exactly what I want whether you like it or not so I suggest if you do not like my opinions do not respond.

Smacks of one ruleism.

Then lovediving has posted

I don't know who the heck you think you are telling me that I am wrong when you only need to google it to see the truth, heard of google at all ??

To respond to this:

A debate is a debate and preaching is preaching, sarcasm is needed in neither.

A person taking part in a debate has every right to point out what they think is wrong.

Preaching is verbalising an opinion and expecting the audience to sit dumbly and accepting without question.

If anyone wants to express their opinions, fine.

If anyone wants to debate, fine

But if anyone wants to preach about a subject , please, go find an audience that can't or wont express a counter opinion.

As for debating what POMS did to CORNISH history.

I think we have to first discover when Cornwall was an independent territory.

Then discuss when the name Kernow was invented and by whom.

Then Discover what is an English person, celt,anglo,roman,viking, xaxon.

Then remember that the history of the UK is about the uniting of a Kingdom by about 20 different races/nations over more than two thousand years.

Then remember that POMS is an Australian expression not a UK or English one, created in a country with a history of around 200 years.

That would make a fine thread elsewhere.

This thread is about someones personal opinion about Australia, and that they wish they could turn back the clock to a time before they came to Australia.

Once we have rememebred that we can get this thread back to where it was when it was started by the OP. It has nothing to do with Aboriginal peoples of ANY country.

It has to do with Austrlia being perceived, by some, as a backwards country in relation to the UK in terms of

The banking, nursing for sure, supermarkets, I could go on for ever.

Should anyone wish to debate about a different subject, like "Whats the history of the aboriginal peoples of Australasia" or "What relative of an English King Built Tintagel Castle and when" or even "Why is the history of Kernow based on a long lost peom written by a Welsh person" yhen please let me or another mod know and we can cleave it off from this thread and start a new one.

Please lets keep this about the OP's original opinion and keep the politics to voting time.

I suppose if they didn't believe it they wouldn't read it, as that would be against the intelligence of an average English person.

Also I did not say I had a problem with Polish people, I find them very affable. I worked with many Poles underground mining. You assumed that because I mentioned how many were going into the UK!

Also you seem very keen on the 2001 census, and the figure of white indigenous people was 85.7% not 92%. Anyway have to go to bed for an early rise!!

Guest lovediving

Is it really that bad there, there must be some jobs. I dont know I think there might be something in the fact that the UK and Europe have a lot more large corporations than Australia.

This is among one of the reasons that I am returning to the UK. The IT industry that I work in has no real jobs here at all and my hope is that Europe/London will have more opportunities.

I see where your coming from about oz been a bit backwards and it is with regards to lack of choice. The UK is still crap thou in my opinion. I still remember my home town of dudley as been full of charity shops, a dirty town and doleys everywhere, which is going to triple now the economy has gone down the nick. 2 of my mates have lost there jobs already and another laid off doing 4 day week. Elec and Gas is double what i pay here in oz now and that s before the 40% increases this winter. Dark nights cold winters can stay in england. Also when i was walking down the street by my mums a west indian casually tossed an empty coke can over her shoulder in front of me blatantly. Litter and graffiti far worse than here in oz. Also oz is developing fast and it will catch up. Britain is i am afraid in reccesion which is reverse i am afraid. Only a muppet would return to england as the economy stands. also the tax payer is footing the billions of pounds payed to the banks as even less money is spent on hospitals and education. Britain is in a massive mess, i watch the news on foxtel sky news uk on the interactive and britain really is in dire straits at the moment. Good luck if you go back, just don't expect to get a job as there is none.

Guest earlswood

I find Northbridge in Perth like you found Dudley, where I lived in the UK was much better than Perth, so everyone finds it different.

Australia is also in recession and your statment that only a muppet would return is a joke...Oz is not a patch on the UK IMO when it comes to quality of life.

I find Northbridge in Perth like you found Dudley, where I lived in the UK was much better than Perth, so everyone finds it different.

Australia is also in recession and your statment that only a muppet would return is a joke...Oz is not a patch on the UK IMO when it comes to quality of life.

glad to see your still the same LOL

So when are you moving or does your business keep you in perth?

Guest earlswood
glad to see your still the same LOL

So when are you moving or does your business keep you in perth?

where you bin lad :notworthy:

Guest lovediving

Earlswood, I know what I think of Sydney and I have made that clear in a lot of posts but can you tell me what is it about Perth that you dislike so much and why.

Also are you going back to the UK or moving to another city in Australia ?

Earlswood, I know what I think of Sydney and I have made that clear in a lot of posts but can you tell me what is it about Perth that you dislike so much and why.

Also are you going back to the UK or moving to another city in Australia ?

why would he want to move he loves the place, you need to read between the lines

Guest lovediving

Oh Ok, why is everyone moving to Rockingham ?? Just browsing the moving to Perth forum and there are loads going there must have something

Archived