I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

As for your hubby he sounds like a great bloke, I think that you are totally unreasonable not to want to do the self sufficientcy thing, Get him to contact me I have some get info on how to build your own compost toilet and other green projects:biglaugh:

Sh*t no, not a composting toilet! I refuse - he has of course tried to persuade me and we have even tried one out hence my adamant stance on the non negotiability of the flush loo!:biglaugh:

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day it is easy to judge but without being that person how can you know how they do or do not cope? It`s would be easy for me as someone who is happy here to get annoyed with someone with an opposite point of view - after all by disagreeing with my view could they almost be seen to be saying Im an idiot for liking it?? It`s not as easy as jumping on plane - after all how easy was it getting here??Everyone`s circumstances are different, thats what this forum is for surely - not judging but trying to understand or at least hear a different view and supporting those who are having a hard time whereever they are. Just my own thoughts.....

Guest cabbagesahoy!

What a great debate...I am going to get slagged for my entry but I am going for it anyway!

Just taking a break from packing up my home in Leicestershire getting ready for a new life in Tasmania. My husband is an Aussie - originally from Sydney. We met over here when he came for a working holiday in 1997. We've worked here for 11 years but now he has landed a great job in Hobart.

Here's some things that I have come to believe in (BTW if I sound like a patronising cow - apologies! These are just my opinions. Please feel free to tell me I'm an ar*e!:smile:)

The grass isn't greener anywhere

I love this country. I don't feel a need to leave it. It's got it's bad bits. It always has had. But it's also wonderful and I am very proud of it. I'll always be British. This will always be a home for me. I don't expect to get to Australia and everything in my life be better. In fact I just don't expect either country to automatically make my life better. I've made my grass greener in this country by working my backside off to get to places I want to be. Australia will be no different. Unless you are somewhere like Iraq, The Chad or Burma most countries are pretty much what you make them.

That said What suits me won't suit you - try before you buy

I am shocked by how many people here don't actually visit the places before they move all their family out there! One man's meat is another man's poison. I hate Queensland. Hate it, hate it, HATE it. I hate the climate. I hate the way it's like hot Norfolk. Brisbane left me cold, the Gold Coast was Skeggy without the pier - URGH! However Sydney, NSW, Perth, Adelaide - fantastic! That's because....

Each state is a nation unto itself

You could say that about a lot of cities here but I think it may be even more pronounced in Oz. Like I say I hated Queensland. That's why if you hate where you are now in Oz, and you have only lived there, I would try somewhere else before you say you've had enough.

Australia isn't hot Britain

It is different. The supermarkets are different (less ready meals but fresher veg?), Medicare is different (More expensive or less waiting?) - As soon as you start comparing you're in trouble. There's good and bad. Like there's good and bad people. I have met some DREADFUL Australians - but then again I have met some DREADFUL Brits. I avoid both. PEOPLE are the same the world over.

The world is like a mirror and often just reflects what you are giving out

I am not aiming this at the OP. Some people are going to get to Australia and, understandably and rightly, it won't be for them. But sometimes when I read some other threads I think you are so negative why do you think people or a country would be excited to have you around? That sounds so harsh but when you are new it's up to you to make the effort and get involved. It's so hard I know - and combined with homesickness - it can be crippling BUT sometimes you follow the journey of people on this site and they hit Australia thinking a magic wand will be waved over their life. It won't.

The fact is - better lives can be made just about anywhere.

ALDO answers to your post!

I'm not surei understand your post

I take it that your country of choice is the UK and or Spain so will you still be miserable when you get there?

how does one do this?

By saying to yourself I am totally responsible for getting myself in to this position, so I can get myself out of it. Life is not a series of events that happen to me but I choose my direction in life and what happens to me.

That is rather presumptuous and is definitely not the case for me.

Aldo when I wrote my post I did not mention your name, so you chose to associate yourself with my statements!

I am lucky that I go to work every day and get out and about enough to keep my mind upbeat and optimistic for my future but if you read some of posts on this forum about people stuck here (for what ever reasons) it is heart breaking, some have been teetering on the edge of breaking down. They are also "not idiots" and I’m sure they didn't "choose there state of being".

Your are absolutely right!, they have n't chosen to be happy. I never implied that these people are idiots either. What I was trying to say was that people who choose to be happy in the face of adversity are not making that choice because they lack the mental capacity, but that they realize, that they choose their destiny and their state of being e.g. happy

Sh*t no, not a composting toilet! I refuse - he has of course tried to persuade me and we have even tried one out hence my adamant stance on the non negotiability of the flush loo!:biglaugh:

The designer reckons you can even use it in a normal residental home, There you go you will not have to move to the out! Enough yabbering with you Quoll put the other half on we have business to talk :twitcy:

What a great debate...I am going to get slagged for my entry but I am going for it anyway!

Just taking a break from packing up my home in Leicestershire getting ready for a new life in Tasmania. My husband is an Aussie - originally from Sydney. We met over here when he came for a working holiday in 1997. We've worked here for 11 years but now he has landed a great job in Hobart.

Here's some things that I have come to believe in (BTW if I sound like a patronising cow - apologies! These are just my opinions. Please feel free to tell me I'm an ar*e!)

The grass isn't greener anywhere

I love this country. I don't feel a need to leave it. It's got it's bad bits. It always has had. But it's also wonderful and I am very proud of it. I'll always be British. This will always be a home for me. I don't expect to get to Australia and everything in my life be better. In fact I just don't expect either country to automatically make my life better. I've made my grass greener in this country by working my backside off to get to places I want to be. Australia will be no different. Unless you are somewhere like Iraq, The Chad or Burma most countries are pretty much what you make them.

That said What suits me won't suit you - try before you buy

I am shocked by how many people here don't actually visit the places before they move all their family out there! One man's meat is another man's poison. I hate Queensland. Hate it, hate it, HATE it. I hate the climate. I hate the way it's like hot Norfolk. Brisbane left me cold, the Gold Coast was Skeggy without the pier - URGH! However Sydney, NSW, Perth, Adelaide - fantastic! That's because....

Each state is a nation unto itself

You could say that about a lot of cities here but I think it may be even more pronounced in Oz. Like I say I hated Queensland. That's why if you hate where you are now in Oz, and you have only lived there, I would try somewhere else before you say you've had enough.

Australia isn't hot Britain

It is different. The supermarkets are different (less ready meals but fresher veg?), Medicare is different (More expensive or less waiting?) - As soon as you start comparing you're in trouble. There's good and bad. Like there's good and bad people. I have met some DREADFUL Australians - but then again I have met some DREADFUL Brits. I avoid both. PEOPLE are the same the world over.

The world is like a mirror and often just reflects what you are giving out

I am not aiming this at the OP. Some people are going to get to Australia and, understandably and rightly, it won't be for them. But sometimes when I read some other threads I think you are so negative why do you think people or a country would be excited to have you around? That sounds so harsh but when you are new it's up to you to make the effort and get involved. It's so hard I know - and combined with homesickness - it can be crippling BUT sometimes you follow the journey of people on this site and they hit Australia thinking a magic wand will be waved over their life. It won't.

The fact is - better lives can be made just about anywhere.

Hi cabbagesahoy! Fantastic post! You'll be fine here in Tassie! I was born in Leicestershire (MH) but have lived so many places between here & there so know adaptability counts for a lot, together with a realization that while some things can be similar where ever you are, many more things vary just from town to town, city to city, county to county let alone from country to country - so part of this whole Travel/Adventure thing is recognizing it for the learning experience it is & realising that if one place doesn't suit you, another probably will and it doesn't always have to be thousands of miles away either! Having never been to Sydney, although having lived in 2 of the World's great cities - London & Chicago - I know I'm not really a city person, so why would I move to Sydney or Melbourne, or even Hobart - I certainly wouldn't move to London again, or any town or city anywhere - it ain't me/us - so we're headed for the hills & light bush to make life as we want it - rain water tanks & flushing loos as standard!

So do you know where you'll be - North or South? And when are you arriving... Once we get over this dreadful flu bug doing the 4-yr rounds, I need to start our last pack as we've been able to buy our 1st home EVER (& I'm not young!!) which would have been impossible in UK so coming all this way for us has delivered our objective in just four months!!! :jiggy:

All the best with your packing - it is just about the worst bit (bar the Visa, tra, spending all that £££!) Welcome to Tassie, hope you'll be happy here - It's one of the WORLD'S BEST KEPT SECRETS - :cute:

ALDO answers to your post!

I'm not surei understand your post

I take it that your country of choice is the UK and or Spain so will you still be miserable when you get there?

Possibly ? Is it allowed?

how does one do this?

By saying to yourself I am totally responsible for getting myself in to this position, so I can get myself out of it. Life is not a series of events that happen to me but I choose my direction in life and what happens to me.

Thank for the enlightenment.:err:

That is rather presumptuous and is definitely not the case for me.

Aldo when I wrote my post I did not mention your name, so you chose to associate yourself with my statements!

Sorry, i thought i was disassociating myself from them....

I am lucky that I go to work every day and get out and about enough to keep my mind upbeat and optimistic for my future but if you read some of posts on this forum about people stuck here (for what ever reasons) it is heart breaking, some have been teetering on the edge of breaking down. They are also "not idiots" and I’m sure they didn't "choose there state of being".

Your are absolutely right!, they have n't chosen to be happy. I never implied that these people are idiots either. What I was trying to say was that people who choose to be happy in the face of adversity are not making that choice because they lack the mental capacity, but that they realize, that they choose their destiny and their state of being e.g. happy
great,:notworthy: I chose to go! Can I go now?

Aldo of course you are allowed to hate Oz, just coz you live here doesn't mean you have to LOVE it! You've been here lived it & loathed it, - you gave it a try - at LEAST you are in a position to go now - spare a thought for those that for whatever reason can't escape & seem destined to lead their lives unhappyily here... Those are the peeps I feel for, although I still maintain they have options & they should be able to find somewhere here at least tollerable, Australia really does have a lot going for it, it might take a bit of expolaration, but it is a BIG country! But at least you've had an experience of the place, although we'll be forever wondering if you'd moved elsewhere would you have hated that as much...? Now open the next Chapter & know you never have to return to this one!

If all things were equal I'd rather be in Spain than here, no question!... but we can't hack languages, & OH career depends on language; so it wasn't on the cards for us - I did try - Think how much easier & cheaper to move to Spain than OZ.. but I had a Spanish friend who always warned me about being bewitched by Spain, he was miserable in England, as he couldn't find work at home, always said No Work in Spain! I tried my hardest to prove England was not such a detestable place... but even S Devon' & Cornwall's lovely beaches couldn't erase the homesickness in his heart and having to live every day in Englishness... until he could stand it no more, not to return home, but to one of the islands...

But I do wonder sometimes, for some trades/skills, if the Costa *********-Spain, with the enclaves & urbanizations of Xpats & their needs, wouldn't suit many Xpats Downunder better than Oz? (Sorry!) With it's John Bull pubs & fish & chips like home, with so much Britishness run by Brits + the benefit of closer proximity to friends & family in UK... Then there's the access to the amazing culture, history & landscape (how many care about that when they are enconced in their enclaves?) great shopping, too, than coming to OZ, site unseen, & realising too late, it IS a long way from home in more ways than one, too expensive to return & so destined to be unhappy for the duration.??

All the best - when arrrreee you going???

I thought I’d compile this list of things about Australia that may affect immigrants from the UK based on my own experience of living in OZ.

Positives.

Sun that shines predictably for barbeques, the beach etc…

Open space.

Seeing the night sky without artificial street lighting spoiling the view.

More casual dress sense.

Australian’s dry sense of humour.

Negatives.

Sun that seems never ending and feels like you’re walking into an oven.

Being cut off from the proximity to Europe.

Cost to travel home to see relatives.

Bush flies that bite and appear from nowhere when in the bush.

Enjoyable walks only possible during the cooler three months.

Large distances between things to do.

Vegetation, trees have a boring sameness all over Australia. Mainly evergreen eucalyptii.

Lack of green grass during summer.

My personality dictates that I live in the UK/Europe. I find OZ boring by comparison but I’m willing to admit that some people find OZ a great place to be.

Hi All,

I moved to the UK 8 years ago and am just in the process of moving back to OZ (not because I think OZ is better than the UK but because my family are in OZ and i have been away from them long enough).

I just wanted to say that it takes more than a year to adapt to a new country. Australia and the UK may have many things that are similar about them but as far as I am concerned they are like chalk adn cheese!! It took me about 4 years before I was totally 100% happy in the UK and I expect that it will take me another 4 years after I move home to feel that way about oz again.

All I can say is get involved in as many things as possible, make as many friends as possible and give it a proper go. Australia is not the same as the UK it was never going to be, so start to focus on the positive bits...

I am SURE I will be taking my own advise in a year or so!!

Guest windsor

We love it here.. So glad we made the move and I am so pleased to have left the UK. We lived in Spain and I love Spain but it is hard hard hard.. Language barrier, although I would speak the lingo I wasn't fluent enough to get a proper job there so ended up in real estate, and besides for 'proper jobs' they favour their own. Got burgled whilst living there and that is quite rife.. I think we were spoilt in the Uk in the supermarkets. Yes I miss some bits about them and it takes a little getting used to and my shopping bill is a little lower because I haven't thrown in a couple of tops enroute but I am not Whoa this is crap. I shop for food in the supermarket and maybe some toiletries or I go to the Pharmacy for them and get my meat from the butchers or wholesale.. It is quite simple and I don't find it a problem at all. In fact my local Safeways is starting to do home delivery.. Oz may be a little behind but getting there but in the same way I prefer things a little more simple and love the fact that you get your meat from the butchers and it is cheaper than the supermarket. That is how it should be.. UK the butchers were bloody expensive. Each to their own and it won't agree with everyone and if it did Oz would be in trouble. For us the move was right and I am glad to be out of the UK..

Guest earlswood
We love it here.. So glad we made the move and I am so pleased to have left the UK. We lived in Spain and I love Spain but it is hard hard hard.. Language barrier, although I would speak the lingo I wasn't fluent enough to get a proper job there so ended up in real estate, and besides for 'proper jobs' they favour their own. Got burgled whilst living there and that is quite rife.. I think we were spoilt in the Uk in the supermarkets. Yes I miss some bits about them and it takes a little getting used to and my shopping bill is a little lower because I haven't thrown in a couple of tops enroute but I am not Whoa this is crap. I shop for food in the supermarket and maybe some toiletries or I go to the Pharmacy for them and get my meat from the butchers or wholesale.. It is quite simple and I don't find it a problem at all. In fact my local Safeways is starting to do home delivery.. Oz may be a little behind but getting there but in the same way I prefer things a little more simple and love the fact that you get your meat from the butchers and it is cheaper than the supermarket. That is how it should be.. UK the butchers were bloody expensive. Each to their own and it won't agree with everyone and if it did Oz would be in trouble. For us the move was right and I am glad to be out of the UK..

Good post, people are lazy, I went to smithfield meat market in London and found it so much better that supermarkets and cheaper and better quality than meat in Oz, I will be so glad to get out of Oz next year, everyone finds it different and what suits one will not suit another.

Guest Mark n' Manda

Hi all,

I'll throw my two pennth in the hat for what it's worth.

We moved over here a couple of months back as I was offered a good job and package. I had thought about coming over with the family a few times in the past 10-15 years but did nothing about it.

The work in my industry was starting to feel the pinch of the recession and I had to either get a job hours away from home (done that too many times before) or re-train and get into something completely different, which seemed like a waste of my working life so far.

That said, I did quite a lot of research on t'internet to find out just what I was letting us in for and where abouts we wanted to be located in this vast country. So far I have not had any nasty surprises or found anything not as I thought it would be. The people - Ozzies and 'foreigners' have been fine.

I have been too busy with getting settled and work to get homesick although my eldest daughter has days when she wishes she was still in the UK - missing her grandparents.

What I am finding is that Oz is more relaxed than back in the UK. Although Oz has its crime problems I don't feel the tension which you sense in a lot of urban Britain. Druggies hanging around, the usual night-time fights at the taxi ranks, kebeb shops, outside the pubs and clubs.

Gangs of hoodies and the well publicised knife and gun attacks in almost every city.

Although these problems are not just centred around the towns and cities. I have family living in the country villages who are also noticing that crime and disruption is on the increase.

I guess as we settle in we will find some things to irritate or stress us, but so far all is OK.

I hope those going back to the UK after a while in Oz don't find the UK too stressful, but I appreciate we are all in different circumstances both in Oz and back in the UK.

Guest earlswood
Hi all' date='

I'll throw my two pennth in the hat for what it's worth.

We moved over here a couple of months back as I was offered a good job and package. I had thought about coming over with the family a few times in the past 10-15 years but did nothing about it.

The work in my industry was starting to feel the pinch of the recession and I had to either get a job hours away from home (done that too many times before) or re-train and get into something completely different, which seemed like a waste of my working life so far.

That said, I did quite a lot of research on t'internet to find out just what I was letting us in for and where abouts we wanted to be located in this vast country. So far I have not had any nasty surprises or found anything not as I thought it would be. The people - Ozzies and 'foreigners' have been fine.

I have been too busy with getting settled and work to get homesick although my eldest daughter has days when she wishes she was still in the UK - missing her grandparents.

What I am finding is that Oz is more relaxed than back in the UK. Although Oz has its crime problems I don't feel the tension which you sense in a lot of urban Britain. [b']Druggies hanging around, the usual night-time fights at the taxi ranks, kebeb shops, outside the pubs and clubs.

Gangs of hoodies and the well publicised knife and gun attacks in almost every city.[/b]

Although these problems are not just centred around the towns and cities. I have family living in the country villages who are also noticing that crime and disruption is on the increase.

I guess as we settle in we will find some things to irritate or stress us, but so far all is OK.

I hope those going back to the UK after a while in Oz don't find the UK too stressful, but I appreciate we are all in different circumstances both in Oz and back in the UK.

I find that trouble Northbridge Perth, I did not feel threatened walking home in the early hours in London but I do in northbridge, all places in both Countries have good and bad places.

Tasmania ! where they are cutting down the 300 year old rain forest for wood chip to support the most disgraceful government in the world!

• 1 month later...
Guest OZnumba1
My brother was murdered.

The uk sounds great! my 2 brothers in australia are fine. Still havent been murdered yet, i don't know anyone here who's brothers OR sisters were murdered.

I try to convince myself that australia aint that bad and the people are really not that bad...then i get in the car and as son as i'm on the road i hate all aussies and their stupid country...:wacko:

dont you have crazy drivers in uk? that comment in my opinion is hypocriticical..

All you poms have such petty reasons for disliking my great country. come on, you hate our country cause of a supermarket??! Poms are stereotyped as snoby whinging alcoholics with bad teeth. Noone here has proved that wrong, but i can't see your teeth.

herbsters post #20 is very smart and a good read for poms wanting to move here. If you watch ads that portray australia as one big beach with aussie neighbours and kangaroos hanging over your fence wanting to be your friend well you deserve to be unhappy. I wish a lot of you would move to vietnam or many other countries just to get a clue.

To the posts about our education system: if your born with low mental capabilities don't blame our teachers. Nearly every smart person in australia can get a decent job. You can't think by moving some place your just going to pop into a great lifestyle. Everything takes effort and commitment.

It really irritates me when people call Oz backward compared to the UK, that is really ridiculous. It is implying that the UK is the leader and the way we do it in the UK is the only way to do it ,otherwise you are backward. This arrogant attitude in western world has got us into trouble with other nationalities. Why can’t we just accepted that other cultures and nations are different to us!

Another smart pom. Average pom please take note.

"fit in or **** off" yes that is the australian way. If you want the uk way go there. My god how obvious.. if i move to england from australia and whinge that england doesnt have beaches and waves or wild kangaroos so the country and people are stupid, would just make me stupid. Australia is australia because this is how we made it. We love it, and that is the only thing that counts.

I am as ever gobsmacked at the amount of posts someone can generate by giving an opinion. Have you guys noticed the orignal poster has only actually answered 1 question put to them about why they hate OZ so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :GEEK:

She won't respond to our questioning her opinion because Australia is great! You can't knock it any more than any other well developed country. Maybe our shopping centers are worse, i don't know. It's just a petty reason that doesnt matter. You shouldn't be gobsmacked, the original post is very offensive. Itskaren, find a positive way to deal with your grief. Direct it at murderers. Don't try to degrade my country. Australia is just as i like it.

If i moved to the uk i would hate it also. Because the uk is not australia. So i will not move to the uk. Whining on about tv and pubs is so pathetic. And noone is going to change australia for you, thats for sure. Maybe i'll move to nigeria and ask the leaders to put a beach in my backyard, next door to a coles and kmart. Import some kangaroos, koalas and gum trees. That attitude is just so dumb. Get over yourselves, obviously australia is not the uk. Thank god.

good on you cabbagesahoy! have a great life here in australia!

OH! now i understand why our supermarkets suck, we dont have enough ready made meals. That sounds lazy. You want the world handed to you. Australia has everything i could ask for, and that is what matters. You are privelidged to be here. Nobody is "stuck" here. Your just not prepared to put in the effort to move back. And unfortunately we don't care so we're not gonna help you get back there. So see this paradise as a jail and rot for all australia cares.

"Tasmania ! where they are cutting down the 300 year old rain forest for wood chip to support the most disgraceful government in the world!"

Our government is getting rid of top level executive greedy bonuses. Every aussie will be better off. Kevin Rudd, you are my saviour! how many forrests do you have in england? Bloody hypocrites.

Guest brooksey

I have to agree with a lot of that. Australia is not England. Not better , not worse, different. At least Australia isnt changing its culture to please migrants.

Haha OZnumba1... great post... but me thinks you may possibly be a poster in disguise...

Trolling for a little pot-stirring I wonder???

I'm an Aussie and although I get a little annoyed over the whinging from some Poms, I realise that this forum is here for them to post their grievances and the rest, perhaps we should keep that in mind and just remember... at the end of the day, we're in the lucky country and those who choose not too stay are all the more welcome to leave.

Try not to be too aggressive in your posts from now on. Though I'm looking forward to seeing how many take the bait! Hehe...

Guest OZnumba1
Haha OZnumba1... great post... but me thinks you may possibly be a poster in disguise...

Trolling for a little pot-stirring I wonder???

I'm an Aussie and although I get a little annoyed over the whinging from some Poms, I realise that this forum is here for them to post their grievances and the rest, perhaps we should keep that in mind and just remember... at the end of the day, we're in the lucky country and those who choose not too stay are all the more welcome to leave.

Try not to be too aggressive in your posts from now on. Though I'm looking forward to seeing how many take the bait! Hehe...

No, no disguise here. was googling "i hate australia POST" after they lost an express letter i sent and came across this site. I'm the kind of person who wants an aussie flagpole in my front yard and couldn't help but read why anyone would hate australia. there were no real reasons and this topic is 1 sided so i had to give it some balance, i tried to be as non aggressive as i could (it took 2 attempts)

No, no disguise here. was googling "i hate australia POST" after they lost an express letter i sent and came across this site. I'm the kind of person who wants an aussie flagpole in my front yard and couldn't help but read why anyone would hate australia. there were no real reasons and this topic is 1 sided so i had to give it some balance, i tried to be as non aggressive as i could (it took 2 attempts)

Oh OK, fair enough. I can totally understand how logging on here and seeing something like this would make you want to post a reply. But have a look around the rest of the site too, fortunately the majority of Poms on here do love Australia when they move here and for the most part everyone is generally positive about this great land of ours.

And like I said before, at the end of the day, if they hate Oz and decide to move back to the UK - at least it is one less person in Oz moaning about how much better it is there and this isn't like that and they do things better in the UK etc. You gotta remember that this site is all about Brits who want to move HERE. Our country. Because it is a fantastic place to live!

But its not going to be for everyone and sometimes those that just... well, don't fit in, need to vent their frustration and b***h about how much they hate life here.

Let them do it.

Its water off a ducks back.

:wink:

Archived