Back to UK for vaccine?

mt9754

15 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I find this just incredible. 

why do you think it’s this way?

There are numerous reports of GP surgeries which have invested money to gear up for 2,000 vaccines a week and they're only receiving a delivery of 50.

I think this is another reason for the slow response by individuals.  When the vaccine rollout was first announced, GP's were being swamped with calls to the point where systems crashed.  Then we all started hearing about GP's ready to vaccinate but with no supply.  I think people can't be bothered trying to book again until supply is more certain.   

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

So you chose to type a very distant date it would finish rather then the date the government has stated 

@Tulip1, I didn't quote that date, Nemesis did.  It's a fact, though, that if they continue to vaccinate at the present rate, that's how long it would take.  Are you aware that currently in Australia, only people over 70 and frontline workers are even allowed to get vaccinated?

They are opening up to people over 50 from 3rd May in Victoria and a bit later in NSW, not sure about the other states. But I tried to book with my GP and they're not taking bookings for over 50's yet, even though it's only a week away.  Problem is they have no idea when they can hope to get supplies or how much they'll get.

After doing so spectacularly well keeping Covid out of the country, Australia is doing a rotten job of the vaccine rollout.

I have read one epidemiologist saying the main issue is that mass vaccination hubs at hospitals or public buildings is the most efficient way to get everyone vaccinated, BUT that would've meant handing the vaccine rollout over to the state governments to implement.  The Federal government wanted to be the good guys and get all the credit (they even branded the vaccine rollout press releases with the Liberal Party logo), and the only medical facilities they manage are the GP's, so that's how they had to distribute the vaccine.  

GP's are highly experienced at vaccinations so that sounds good in principle.  However, it has meant sending small deliveries to hundreds of doctors, instead of sending large shipments to central locations - and the distribution has been a total mess.   There are vaccines in the country but they're not getting to the doctors who are crying out for them.

After the initial outcry, the Feds have agreed to let the states build mass Hubs now too - which must be bad news for doctors who spent thousands upgrading their fridges and facilities to cater for the numbers, but at least it will speed things up.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

@Tulip1, I didn't quote that date, Nemesis did.  It's a fact, though, that if they continue to vaccinate at the present rate, that's how long it would take.  Are you aware that currently in Australia, only people over 70 and frontline workers are even allowed to get vaccinated?

Marissa you know you and all over 50s can get vaccinated on Monday onwards so lets not mislead people.

Get your vaccine on Monday morning at Jeff's Shed or Royal Exhibition Buildings if you are in a tearing hurry. No appointment needed.

Edited by Parley

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Marissa you know you and all over 50s can get vaccinated on Monday onwards so lets not mislead people.

Get your vaccine on Monday morning at Jeff's Shed if you are in a tearing hurry. No appointment needed.

Did you even bother to read the rest of my post?  I said "currently".   Next week is not currently.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, s713 said:

I haven't been following it that closely but I read this today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56924188

Is it true Australia isn't even letting it's own people back in?

Both New Zealand and Australia require all travelers to quarantine in hotels on arrival. We tried at-home quarantine but too many people were cheating. 

There’s a limited number of hotels due to the high staffing required. New Zealand has a voucher system (which seems fairer) whereas Australia gets the airlines to manage the quotas. 

There are far more citizens wanting to return than there are places on the planes

6 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I’m sure that’s correct.  In the U.K. the statistic they often use is “number of adults offered a vaccine”.  Do they use that there?  

They talk about being able to offer everyone a vaccine when forecasting true because they cannot assume full capacity is utilised, but not when talking about actual numbers vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Get your vaccine on Monday morning at Jeff's Shed or Royal Exhibition Buildings if you are in a tearing hurry. No appointment needed.

When I had my vaccination at a different surgery not my own, I had to take a printout of my health conditions with me that was checked. Will this apply to the vaccination hubs I wonder? or will everyone get jabbed with no questions? I am on blood thinners and this was checked before my jab, so I had to hold my finger over the jab for I think 5 mins, after the jab everyone had to stay at the surgery for 15 mins in case of a reaction, so I assume or hope that that also happens at the inoculations hubs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

When I had my vaccination at a different surgery not my own, I had to take a printout of my health conditions with me that was checked. Will this apply to the vaccination hubs I wonder? or will everyone get jabbed with no questions? I am on blood thinners and this was checked before my jab, so I had to hold my finger over the jab for I think 5 mins, after the jab everyone had to stay at the surgery for 15 mins in case of a reaction, so I assume or hope that that also happens at the inoculations hubs. 

If you have a My Health Record they can probably access that.

Edited by Parley

2 hours ago, ramot said:

The 15 min wait is standard for any vaccination, to monitor for adverse reactions. This happens with the flu shot at pharmacies too.

Unsure regarding the medical history aspect but when I received the flu shot the pharmacist asked me about any health issues/history and/or medications, so perhaps this is also standard?

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They are opening up to people over 50 from 3rd May in Victoria and a bit later in NSW, not sure about the other states. But I tried to book with my GP and they're not taking bookings for over 50's yet, even though it's only a week away.  Problem is they have no idea when they can hope to get supplies or how much they'll get.

After doing so spectacularly well keeping Covid out of the country, Australia is doing a rotten job of the vaccine rollout.

I have read one epidemiologist saying the main issue is that mass vaccination hubs at hospitals or public buildings is the most efficient way to get everyone vaccinated, BUT that would've meant handing the vaccine rollout over to the state governments to implement.  The Federal government wanted to be the good guys and get all the credit (they even branded the vaccine rollout press releases with the Liberal Party logo), and the only medical facilities they manage are the GP's, so that's how they had to distribute the vaccine.  

GP's are highly experienced at vaccinations so that sounds good in principle.  However, it has meant sending small deliveries to hundreds of doctors, instead of sending large shipments to central locations - and the distribution has been a total mess.   There are vaccines in the country but they're not getting to the doctors who are crying out for them.

After the initial outcry, the Feds have agreed to let the states build mass Hubs now too - which must be bad news for doctors who spent thousands upgrading their fridges and facilities to cater for the numbers, but at least it will speed things up.

Sorry Marisa, I know you didn’t say it and I thought I’d posted under the one Nemesis put up.  Your vaccine rollout certainly hasn’t been fast and it’s possible that it may drag out given the issues you’ve mentioned. My point was when something is stated such as

‘With the current date for Australia to vaccinate the majority of people being July/August 2023’

It sounds as though that’s the official timeline set by the authorities whereas from my understanding it is simply speculation by critics based on a slow start.   The topic is around many people struggling with not seeing loved ones for years and seeing that won’t be helpful to such people. Some will take that as red when it’s not.  Let’s all hope it picks up pace soon so that life for everyone can be a richer and a more enjoyable life. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ramot said:

I didn’t need to take anything with me. I was just asked a few questions, one being was I on blood thinners.  In the very beginning people here in the U.K. were asked to wait 15 minutes afterwards but very quickly that was done away with.  I was back in my car driving home within a minute of getting my jab I reckon. 

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I didn’t need to take anything with me. I was just asked a few questions, one being was I on blood thinners.  In the very beginning people here in the U.K. were asked to wait 15 minutes afterwards but very quickly that was done away with.  I was back in my car driving home within a minute of getting my jab I reckon. 

Same.

Felt a bit under the weather today, but not as bad as the first one.

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Both New Zealand and Australia require all travelers to quarantine in hotels on arrival. We tried at-home quarantine but too many people were cheating. 

There’s a limited number of hotels due to the high staffing required. New Zealand has a voucher system (which seems fairer) whereas Australia gets the airlines to manage the quotas. 

There are far more citizens wanting to return than there are places on the planes

But that article, if correct, isn't just about flight availability, its about Australia deciding whether or not to let its own citizens back in. Which they've decided they're not going to.

No offence to anyone but, that's bad. Bet they didn't mention that at the citizenship ceremony.

1 hour ago, s713 said:

But that article, if correct, isn't just about flight availability, its about Australia deciding whether or not to let its own citizens back in. Which they've decided they're not going to.

No offence to anyone but, that's bad. Bet they didn't mention that at the citizenship ceremony.

Ever since the borders closed in early 2020, it has always been the case that we're letting in our own citizens and our own PR holders and nobody else, but there is a weekly limit based on the availability of hotel quarantine places.

We could let them all in, but that would mean throwing all our quarantine measures out the window.  So we are letting our citizens back in but it's slow, and there's a temporary halt on all flights from India (which New Zealand has implemented for a while too).  

A fair criticism is that they should have built more quarantine stations, but that takes time and I think the government hoped there wouldn't be a need.  After all, over 300,000 Australians returned when the border closures were announced, and it was estimated there were around 27,000 Australians left stuck overseas. With around 4,000 quarantine places available each week, that should've been done and dusted by now, right?

Mysteriously, the number of Austrailans "stranded overseas" has kept rising and rising, with anything between 40,000 and 100,000 now being quoted.  

Of course, what is happening is that Australians who had made their home overseas (and had no desire to return when the borders closed), have changed their minds, because their lives have been disrupted by Covid.  That's their right.  However, the unfair thing is that there's no "first in best dressed" system in place.  The airline gets to choose who flies and they favour first and business class passengers.  It means a rich person who changed their mind last week will fly ahead of the poor person who's been trying to get a ticket since last year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-27/travel-adviser-on-stranded-australians-overseas-during-covid-19/13087694

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

If you have a My Health Record they can probably access that.

You are right, except the surgery I went to had 4 doctors pushing through loads of us for the vaccination, so it was much quicker for the nurse to scan your report, than loading up the computer for every patient, would have taken much longer, so fewer vaccinations, and the roll out gets longer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ramot said:

Our GP is very well organised.  She texted us querying if we wanted the jab or not.  We texted back 'yes'.  We were then asked to fill in the health conditions form re allergies etc and handed it in to reception.  The doc then texted with the date to receive the jab.  All done now   .............  yes we also had to wait 15 mins after receiving it.  She texted us yesterday with the date to receive the flu jab next week.  We are due to receive the 2nd Covid jab in July.

It would be good if all GPs were administering the Covid jab.  I do know some people who don't want to have the jab though.

7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The 15 min wait is standard for any vaccination, to monitor for adverse reactions. This happens with the flu shot at pharmacies too.

Unsure regarding the medical history aspect but when I received the flu shot the pharmacist asked me about any health issues/history and/or medications, so perhaps this is also standard?

I know that, I was just questioning how the wait would be would be organised in a large hub, with so many people getting vaccinated, as against a small surgery where it was easier to monitor the wait.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Sorry Marisa, I know you didn’t say it and I thought I’d posted under the one Nemesis put up.  Your vaccine rollout certainly hasn’t been fast and it’s possible that it may drag out given the issues you’ve mentioned. My point was when something is stated such as

‘With the current date for Australia to vaccinate the majority of people being July/August 2023’

It sounds as though that’s the official timeline set by the authorities whereas from my understanding it is simply speculation by critics based on a slow start.   The topic is around many people struggling with not seeing loved ones for years and seeing that won’t be helpful to such people. Some will take that as red when it’s not.  Let’s all hope it picks up pace soon so that life for everyone can be a richer and a more enjoyable life. 

The date I quoted is the date being referenced in ABC reports about the vaccines. For example - 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-05-01/covid-19-pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-side-effects-study/100103326

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Quite a difference between the NHS and here then. It’s the same wait here after the flu jab. I think I prefer a cautious wait of 15 mins rather than straight out of the door.

34 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The date I quoted is the date being referenced in ABC reports about the vaccines.

Yes, that's a projection by the ABC, not a government prediction.   It is based on the actual rate of vaccination to date.    We know the vaccination rate will rise from next week with the opening of vaccinations to the over-50's, and that rise (and any future rises) are not taken into account.  

PomsinOz can't have it both ways.   We get angry at Immigration because they show a processing time for parent visas which is based on the actual rate of processing to date, rather than taking subsequent events into account.  The result in that case is that the figures give an overly optimistic view.    In the case of the ABC's graph, the result is that the figures give an overly pessimistic view.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, that's a projection by the ABC, not a government prediction.   It is based on the actual rate of vaccination to date.    We know the vaccination rate will rise from next week with the opening of vaccinations to the over-50's, and that rise (and any future rises) are not taken into account.  

PomsinOz can't have it both ways.   We get angry at Immigration because they show a processing time for parent visas which is based on the actual rate of processing to date, rather than taking subsequent events into account.  The result in that case is that the figures give an overly optimistic view.    In the case of the ABC's graph, the result is that the figures give an overly pessimistic view.

An NHS CEO in the north told me that each time they step down an age band, take up percentage falls which speeds up that band, accelerating the programme overall - so you can probably expect to see the same.  The data bears this out, though it’s not as significant as I had imagined. 

If like me you enjoy looking at data, and why on Earth wouldn’t everyone 😊, you might like to look at the summary data here

Take up rate by age by region is interesting (note London) as is by age by ethnicity. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The date I quoted is the date being referenced in ABC reports about the vaccines. For example - 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-05-01/covid-19-pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-side-effects-study/100103326

The report says based on the speed of the rollout so far but it also states the main reason for the slow start is because of delivery problems in getting the vaccine. It’s very true you’ve had such problems and promised stock has not arrived.  The chances of delivery problems being an issue for the next two years plus is very unlikely I’d say. I would be very surprised if the government have stated that the programme will take over two more years to complete as they will have a handle on production and delivery of the vaccine.  You’ve had some hiccups and logistical issues which hasn’t been a real crisis because of your Covid situation. If a country like Australia took two and a half years to vaccinate its people I think the world would see that in a poor light and I can’t imagine the powers that be would want that.  

11 hours ago, newjez said:

Same.

Felt a bit under the weather today, but not as bad as the first one.

That’s good.  My brother had his second one two days ago and has been fine, no side effects at all.  He was waiting for them as with the first dose he had a bad night of chills and headache. This time nothing.  Hopefully many that felt poorly with the first dose are much better with the second. 

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

That’s good.  My brother had his second one two days ago and has been fine, no side effects at all.  He was waiting for them as with the first dose he had a bad night of chills and headache. This time nothing.  Hopefully many that felt poorly with the first dose are much better with the second. 

Touch wood, but day two and I feel fine.