Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 10/11/2022 at 18:28, LindaH27 said:

It’s the date you applied and lodged not the acknowledgment  date. Still being asked for health  checks and police checks. Don’t think it was ever stopped as it’s very important. 
Its likely you won’t hear anything until after next June 2023 - ie the next financial year. Depends how far in May you applied as May and June had 9000 applications! 

For a rough idea try here and change the amount of visas  being processed to about 7500

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/

Hi Linda, where is the info you are referencing here from - i.e. 9000 applicants in May/June 2017? I know I have seen it in the past but can't remember where. 

1 hour ago, youngfreewild said:

Hi Linda, where is the info you are referencing here from - i.e. 9000 applicants in May/June 2017? I know I have seen it in the past but can't remember where. 

It’s info acquired by @Alan Collett as a freedom of information Request to home affairs. I believe there may be a later update in numbers but am unable to find it at present. The  info I used is here  

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

I'm trying to see how close Immigration is at the 2022/2023 cap of 8500 CPV applications processed

This financial year (July 2022 to June 2023) they have been processing contributory parent visas lodged from August 2016 to March 2017 which had about 7982 applications (based on the attached analysis of lodgements, "CPV Lodgement Data Analysis posted on this forum previously"). 

Year/Month/# of CPV Applications Lodged

2016  August  719  (I don't know which day of the month they started / how many this month were processed as part of 2022/2023 year cap)
2016  September  844
2016  October  876
2016  November  1,047
2016  December  1,039
2017  January  761
2017  February  720
2017  March  979
2017  April  997

Total of 7982

So it would appear they should be able to get through some of the 2017 May applications this year before June -- am I correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tostar said:

I'm trying to see how close Immigration is at the 2022/2023 cap of 8500 CPV applications processed

This financial year (July 2022 to June 2023) they have been processing contributory parent visas lodged from August 2016 to March 2017 which had about 7982 applications (based on the attached analysis of lodgements, "CPV Lodgement Data Analysis posted on this forum previously"). 

Year/Month/# of CPV Applications Lodged

2016  August  719  (I don't know which day of the month they started / how many this month were processed as part of 2022/2023 year cap)
2016  September  844
2016  October  876
2016  November  1,047
2016  December  1,039
2017  January  761
2017  February  720
2017  March  979
2017  April  997

Total of 7982

So it would appear they should be able to get through some of the 2017 May applications this year before June -- am I correct?

I think there were other parent visa classes 103/804 etc included in the yearly grant figure

That's true, the 8500 Parent visa cap is not just for CPV's. I'm trying to also understand how many grants from other parent visa classes were likely done if that info is publicly available.

Is this the 5 types of Parent Visas under the 8500 cap? Anyone know the maximum number of grants for each subclass this financial year?

Parent (Permanent) (subclass 103) visa
Contributory Parent (Permanent) (subclass 143) visa
Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa
Aged Parent (Permanent) (subclass 804) visa
Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) (subclass 864) visa

Edited by tostar

2 hours ago, tostar said:

That's true, the 8500 Parent visa cap is not just for CPV's. I'm trying to also understand how many grants from other parent visa classes were likely done if that info is publicly available.

Is this the 5 types of Parent Visas under the 8500 cap? Anyone know the maximum number of grants for each subclass this financial year?

Parent (Permanent) (subclass 103) visa
Contributory Parent (Permanent) (subclass 143) visa
Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa
Aged Parent (Permanent) (subclass 804) visa
Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) (subclass 864) visa

There’s also 884 , the onshore equivalent of 173. There is no individual subclass quota- it depends on date order in the two queues, the contributory (173,143, 884 & 864 ) and the non contributory (103 and  804)

Also of the 8500 total, 125 places are reserved for people transferring to permanent parent visas from the old 410 and 405 retirement visas which are no longer available.

There are also people transferring from 103 visas to 143 who keep their original lodgement date when they transfer and jump straight to the front of the queue. Immi are are currently dealing with 103 applications with a queue date of 2012 (I think) so any transfers from 103 after that date go to  the front of the queue - and I believe there have been quite a few of those recently ! 

There are also applications from Ukrainians which are prioritised too due to the war and those who are given the visas under Ministerial intervention

Aldo this financial year  they started with applications dated from May 2016 - these had been stuck  for two years until the new govt increased the quota - so from May 2016 and not August 2016  as you suggested 

Its therefore impossible to second guess whether immi have already reached their quota but it appears likely

Edited by LindaH27

Just thought I'd update with some good news that may give hope to those still in the queue. Our visa's were granted on 5th Jan after an almost 6.5 year wait (versus the 18 months to two years we were originally advised).

We would have been a couple of months earlier, but the German police clearance was comically slow, especially for my wife as they seemingly did not understand the naming conventions in her home country (which basically follows the Spanish system) - this despite not having an issue with it last year when they issued clearances to us. They also only communicate via normal post and won't take calls - so it takes around 8-10 weeks for two way communication. By contrast the UAE clearance took seconds online and then 10 minutes in the consulate while they signed the printed document. AFP clearance also very easy.

Dealing with Centrelink was a pain for my son and daughter, with CB slightly less so. Issues were normally a) getting in touch and then b) finding someone who had even heard of the process. Son's solution was to go to a Centrelink in a smaller town out of Melbourne as they are much less busy. Seemed to work. Daughter also had her AOS declined as she had been on parental leave last year, so her taxable income for then was too low. This despite her contract being submitted showing her full income and that she was now back at work. Never mind, son stepped in instead.

All good then despite the hiccoughs as we now have our sparkling new visas! We were granted them onshore and do not have to exit/re-enter as we were here on 24 March 2021 (Covid-19 visa concessions).

Since applying, we have gained two son-in-laws and one daughter-in-law (all here in Aus and five of the six citizens, with the last one completing that process soon), plus two grandchildren with three more on the way in March, April and May! I left the company I was working with, but when granted a BVB in March 2022 with no working restrictions, I was able to start  a new business in Australia with local shareholders that is progressing nicely. I also had a quadruple heart bypass in 2019, but no heart attack and bounced back fit and strong and with a new perspective on moving to Aus.

So, a lot of changes since applying, but all affirmed the choice we made. The feeling of a weight lifting when we received the grant notification was tremendous and a little surprising as neither of us thought we were feeling any pressure. I guess we had learnt to live with it.

Oh yes - there was also Covid! 

TL;DR - visas have been granted and we are very happy.

This forum has been a useful source of info and encouragement over the years. I hope all those still waiting get their good news in a reasonable time and have wonderful futures ahead.

Cheers, PaulM

P.S. - we are very glad we used a registered immigration agent! Money well spent.

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 6

On 07/01/2023 at 20:09, PaulM said:

Just thought I'd update with some good news that may give hope to those still in the queue. Our visa's were granted on 5th Jan after an almost 6.5 year wait (versus the 18 months to two years we were originally advised).

We would have been a couple of months earlier, but the German police clearance was comically slow, especially for my wife as they seemingly did not understand the naming conventions in her home country (which basically follows the Spanish system) - this despite not having an issue with it last year when they issued clearances to us. They also only communicate via normal post and won't take calls - so it takes around 8-10 weeks for two way communication. By contrast the UAE clearance took seconds online and then 10 minutes in the consulate while they signed the printed document. AFP clearance also very easy.

Dealing with Centrelink was a pain for my son and daughter, with CB slightly less so. Issues were normally a) getting in touch and then b) finding someone who had even heard of the process. Son's solution was to go to a Centrelink in a smaller town out of Melbourne as they are much less busy. Seemed to work. Daughter also had her AOS declined as she had been on parental leave last year, so her taxable income for then was too low. This despite her contract being submitted showing her full income and that she was now back at work. Never mind, son stepped in instead.

All good then despite the hiccoughs as we now have our sparkling new visas! We were granted them onshore and do not have to exit/re-enter as we were here on 24 March 2021 (Covid-19 visa concessions).

Since applying, we have gained two son-in-laws and one daughter-in-law (all here in Aus and five of the six citizens, with the last one completing that process soon), plus two grandchildren with three more on the way in March, April and May! I left the company I was working with, but when granted a BVB in March 2022 with no working restrictions, I was able to start  a new business in Australia with local shareholders that is progressing nicely. I also had a quadruple heart bypass in 2019, but no heart attack and bounced back fit and strong and with a new perspective on moving to Aus.

So, a lot of changes since applying, but all affirmed the choice we made. The feeling of a weight lifting when we received the grant notification was tremendous and a little surprising as neither of us thought we were feeling any pressure. I guess we had learnt to live with it.

Oh yes - there was also Covid! 

TL;DR - visas have been granted and we are very happy.

This forum has been a useful source of info and encouragement over the years. I hope all those still waiting get their good news in a reasonable time and have wonderful futures ahead.

Cheers, PaulM

P.S. - we are very glad we used a registered immigration agent! Money well spent.

I read through my own post again and was bugged by the following;

son-in-laws - should of course read sons-in-law

Sorry - it was making my eyes bleed to read it 🙂

Cheers, Paul

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

I read through my own post again and was bugged by the following;

son-in-laws - should of course read sons-in-law

Sorry - it was making my eyes bleed to read it 🙂

Cheers, Paul

I expect many wouldn’t have noticed, don’t worry.  Where did you end up settling? 

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I expect many wouldn’t have noticed, don’t worry.  Where did you end up settling? 

Thanks Tulip. We were lucky in that we already had a house in Melbourne that we bought for our kids to live in whilst they were at Uni here. It's not the house we want to stay in, but it has been very useful as we got caught up in the Covid lockdowns and ended up being here since March 2020. We will be staying around Melbourne, but moving to a new house and rent out this one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As at 31 December 2022, we have released for final processing:

Contributory Parent visa applications with a queue date up to March 2017

Parent visa applications with a queue date up to August 2011

Aged Parent visa applications with a queue date up to December 2012.

• Like 1

Australia Home Affairs have updated their website.  For anyone lodging a 143 visa now they have quoted -

‘We estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 12 years to be released for final processing’

It won’t be what people want to see but important they realise it before putting much time, effort and money into starting the journey. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Australia Home Affairs have updated their website.  For anyone lodging a 143 visa now they have quoted -

‘We estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 12 years to be released for final processing’

It won’t be what people want to see but important they realise it before putting much time, effort and money into starting the journey. 

I think it’s likely to be even Longer!! Many of us here were told 18-24 months for applications lodged around 2016-2017 - they’re currently taking around 6 years!! 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

I think it’s likely to be even Longer!! Many of us here were told 18-24 months for applications lodged around 2016-2017 - they’re currently taking around 6 years!! 

I believe the difference is that the 18-24 months was based on the official figures on the Immi website at the time, which actually reflected current processing, not a future prediction.  Up until a few weeks ago, the Immi website was still showing figures based on current processing, (5-6 years).  

That has now changed and the 12 years is now a future prediction, so it could be correct.

4 minutes ago, Arti said:

Is the 12 years for applications already in queue or for new applications?

‘We estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 12 years to be released for final processing’

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

Hello All, I am new to the forum and have a situation - I recently got the request for additional documents (applied for subclass 143 in first week Apr 2017). However, the dependent on the file has turned 23 last month so is affected by the changes that came in Nov 2016. Is there any exception to the rule (apart from the disability), given that the slowdown was due to reduced quota and COVID in the subsequent years etc.

As most of us know that the original time frame in 2017 for visa processing was around 18 to 24 months or so. It has been a really frustrating period while we waited for the department to catch up and now this!

Has anyone seen a 23+ year dependent get a grant who filed their visa after Nov 2016 rule update? Any information would be useful. Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Spidy said:

Hello All, I am new to the forum and have a situation - I recently got the request for additional documents (applied for subclass 143 in first week Apr 2017). However, the dependent on the file has turned 23 last month so is affected by the changes that came in Nov 2016. Is there any exception to the rule (apart from the disability), given that the slowdown was due to reduced quota and COVID in the subsequent years etc.

As most of us know that the original time frame in 2017 for visa processing was around 18 to 24 months or so. It has been a really frustrating period while we waited for the department to catch up and now this!

Has anyone seen a 23+ year dependent get a grant who filed their visa after Nov 2016 rule update? Any information would be useful. Thank you.

Unfortunately the age of the dependant under the rules from 19 November 2016 is under 23 years at the time of decision of grant The only exception to the rule is as you said, physical or mental disability. There have been posts on social media  where the dependant has been refused and agents have confirmed this is the correct procedure. Immi do request further info for the dependant and this raises hope but it is usually just to check if there's any disability etc   

Laws are set and do not change just because of circumstances that could not have been foreseen at the time they became law. 

1 hour ago, Spidy said:

As most of us know that the original time frame in 2017 for visa processing was around 18 to 24 months or so.

I understood that even in 2017, the actual processing time was already much longer than that.   The "18 to 24 months" quoted by Immigration referred to historical performance, not how long they expected new 2017 applications to take.  I know most people were unaware of that at the time, though.