Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

Guest The Pom Queen
19 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Hubby is watching it tonight and England seem to be smashing it tonight, 4 Golds so far. Australia doing well overall too. Some of the commentary is so cringable its funny.

Cal x

Pmsl re the commentary I kept thinking “imagine the riot on PIO if someone said that”. 

It was very much a UK V Oz thing on the parts I did watch which wasn’t much.

4 hours ago, simmo said:

image.png.e20f68c631e6eba7281fe02d1706e2ab.png

I've never understood this national medal count thing. The Olympics and commonwealth shouldn't be about nations competing - it should be about individuals. The people who look at medal counts belittle the games.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, newjez said:

I've never understood this national medal count thing. The Olympics and commonwealth shouldn't be about nations competing - it should be about individuals. The people who look at medal counts belittle the games.

More than ever it is about funding of athletes these days.  Funding is allocated nationally and, for better or worse, is largely determined on the success of the sport (plus its profile).  Success comes with this funding too.  I guess much like educational scholarships, you have to demonstrate you are worth your grant both individually and as a sport.

4 hours ago, newjez said:

I had a feeling you would be one of those "we are all winners" types.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

More than ever it is about funding of athletes these days.  Funding is allocated nationally and, for better or worse, is largely determined on the success of the sport (plus its profile).  Success comes with this funding too.  I guess much like educational scholarships, you have to demonstrate you are worth your grant both individually and as a sport.

It is a shame though. Spoils the whole soul of sports.

11 hours ago, newjez said:

The medal part is kinda the point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Parley said:

Australia still well on top of the medal tally with 18 medals to England's 13.

Huge effort for such a small population. As always you aussies are punching well above your weight, wish England performed to that level we’d beat the likes of USA in the olympics if we did.

• Like 2

Great performance in the pool and velodrome for the Aussies - total of  35 medals and 13 golds.  I think every medal winner will be glad to have a medal and be on the podium irrespective of what colour it is.

29 minutes ago, ali said:

Great performance in the pool and velodrome for the Aussies - total of  35 medals and 13 golds.  I think every medal winner will be glad to have a medal and be on the podium irrespective of what colour it is.

Yes. They are all winners.??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Natives will do nothing in the athletics etc.  World champ Sally Pearson just withdrew and many of the others left athletics, hockey, netball etc for AFLW, for good reason.  Expect England to easily top medal tally as of course they should with their population