Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

17 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Is anyone going to watch any events at the games or will you be watching on TV ?  It all kicks off tomorrow with Channel 7 doing coverage from 9am.

Cal x

Not sure how much I will bother to watch, have family members going to watch the gymnastics on the 6th.

What is really annoying me are the advertisements saying for example we must beat the Poms, or we (the Australians) are going all out for gold, or the netball team ad all about beating NZ.

Would be nice to hear more about the spirit of the games, and a bit less bragging, shouldn't mention the cricket!!! but it's a bit the same must be the winners.

• Like 2

Care factor zero.  The way female athletes have been deserting athletics, netball, basketball, hockey, etc etc for AFLW money and publicity,  I’m surprised they’ll be able to put a team together.  And the current govt intend to cut AIS funding further, Sport isn’t a priority

I prefer the Commonwealth Games to the Olympics because all the countries I dislike are excluded.  I see indigenous protesters are doing their bit to improve relations between the indigenous community and the colonialist, imperialist community by blocking the path of the baton.

5 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I prefer the Commonwealth Games to the Olympics because all the countries I dislike are excluded.  I see indigenous protesters are doing their bit to improve relations between the indigenous community and the colonialist, imperialist community by blocking the path of the baton.

Sounds like they're not improving relations with at least one colonial imperialist!

Intrigued by your admission to disliking certain countries. I must say, it's never occurred to me to dislike a country. Out of interest, which countries do you dislike and why?

On 03/04/2018 at 22:01, ramot said:

Not sure how much I will bother to watch, have family members going to watch the gymnastics on the 6th.

What is really annoying me are the advertisements saying for example we must beat the Poms, or we (the Australians) are going all out for gold, or the netball team ad all about beating NZ.

Would be nice to hear more about the spirit of the games, and a bit less bragging, shouldn't mention the cricket!!! but it's a bit the same must be the winners.

I'm so with you there ramot.  Annoys the bejaysus out of me too.  :mad: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Because no British or Australian sportsmen would ever do that, would they Steve Smith?!

I'm not Steve Smith. And no, no other countries come close to the cheating that the US, Russia and China do.

3 hours ago, s713 said:

Sorry if my gender presumption offended. I'll aim to be a better human from now on :D

It's a worry, life can be so confusing sometimes to know your Arthur from Martha!!!?

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Toots said:

I'm so with you there ramot.  Annoys the bejaysus out of me too.  :mad: 

All sport is about winning. 

There is nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone strives to be the best and win.

It would be sad if athletes were happy to be mediocre.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

All sport is about winning. 

There is nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone strives to be the best and win.

It would be sad if athletes were happy to be mediocre.

Winning is good but it's the constant rah rah Australia I can't be doing with.  Needs to be toned down a bit.

• Like 1