Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

4 hours ago, Skani said:

I was visiting the UK during the 1988 Seoul Olympics and it was very difficult to discover how Australia - or any one apart from the UK - was doing.   It was pre internet, of course, so totally reliant on TV and newspaper coverage.    After that experience you'd be hard pressed to convince me the UK was any less one eyed.

On the internet I tend to keep an eye on coverage by the BBC sport website and you are absolutely right no less one eyed - It's about how England have done then who won gold, silver and bronze if England didn't. Nothing wrong with that at all and no different to Australian media coverage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Subjective opinion. I think you will find swimming is by far the most popular of all the sports at Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

But they finished last night you will be pleased to know.

hang on , who said swimming is by far the most popular sport ?

is that a fact , or your opinion ?

in relation to the olympics or commonwealth games , I think athletics may have something to say about it .

far more ethnically diverse for a start , and globally representative.

swimming , in the main ,is 8 , white men or women competing .

athletics is represented by all ethnicities

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

find me 20 more ...non white Olympic non white swimming medallists ?

Find me the last men’s maybe even women’s nonblack 100 metre gold medallists, some sporting events appeal more to and are dominated by certain skin colours what's the issue you have with that?

1 minute ago, Sandgroper said:

Find me the last men’s maybe even women’s nonblack 100 metre gold medallists, some sporting events appeal more to and are dominated by certain skin colours what's the issue you have with that?

I haven't got any issue , you were the one who put a picture of 8 black men up ,in a 100m race ...not me ???.

someone said swimming was the most popular sport at the olympics or commonwealth games , I rightly disagreed .

saying for one ,that swimming ,generally is represented by white men and women ,which is true .

athletics on the other hand ,is covered by all ethnicities .

I haven't an issue , what's yours ?

you put up a picture of a black swimmer , who won 2 gold medals , are asked you to put up one more ,none white swimming medal winners ,of which there is a handful at best

you haven't , which proves my point , that athletics is far more representative of the olympics or commonwealth games than swimming

And probably more popular in both support and participation

Just now, bunbury61 said:

I haven't got any issue , you were the one who put a picture of 8 black men up ,in a 100m race ...not me ???.

After you mentioned 8 white men/women in swimming. No I've just reread the last few posts and you definitely brought skin colour into it no one else had mentioned it before you, different events are often dominated by different races it's fact get over it should we not like an event or sport just because it's dominated by certain skin colours? Not me I enjoy all sporting events regardless of who is competing xDxD

21 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

someone said swimming was the most popular sport at the olympics or commonwealth games , I rightly disagreed .

saying for one ,that swimming ,generally is represented by white men and women ,which is true .

athletics on the other hand ,is covered by all ethnicities .

I haven't an issue , what's yours ?

you put up a picture of a black swimmer , who won 2 gold medals , are asked you to put up one more ,none white swimming medal winners ,of which there is a handful at best

you haven't , which proves my point , that athletics is far more representative of the olympics or commonwealth games than swimming

And probably more popular in both support and participation

I think your reference to ethnicity and skin colour actually spoilt an excellent point you were making......and that is the limited representation in swimming from countries outside North America, Europe, South Africa and Australasia.  There is a reason for this and it is to do with facilities.

It needs very little to develop sprinters and long distance runners so poorer countries are able to compete.  Such disparities are by no means limited to swimming however.

My only real issue with swimming is the totally disproportionate number of events compared with all other sporting disciplines in both the Olympics and these Games.  Competitors in other disciplines must strive for a single medal whereas it is perfectly possible for the best swimmer to get literally dozens of them.

Phelps for example won a total of 28 Olympic medals, most of them gold and lesser known swimmers are well into double figures.  Great athletes for sure but is Phelps a much better athlete than, say, Usain Bolt (8 Olympic Gold medals) or Mo Farah (4)?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I think your reference to ethnicity and skin colour actually spoilt an excellent point you were making......and that is the limited representation in swimming from countries outside North America, Europe, South Africa and Australasia.  There is a reason for this and it is to do with facilities.

It needs very little to develop sprinters and long distance runners so poorer countries are able to compete.  Such disparities are by no means limited to swimming however.

My only real issue with swimming is the totally disproportionate number of events compared with all other sporting disciplines in both the Olympics and these Games.  Competitors in other disciplines must strive for a single medal whereas it is perfectly possible for the best swimmer to get literally dozens of them.

Phelps for example won a total of 28 Olympic medals, most of them gold and lesser known swimmers are well into double figures.  Great athletes for sure but is Phelps a much better athlete than, say, Usain Bolt (8 Olympic Gold medals) or Mo Farah (4)?

Agree to a certain degree but you could say the same of cycling and rowing those athletes also get a lot more opportunities to get golds compared to sprinters but on the same note Usain Bolt had more chances to get gold medals compared to an athlete that competes in the discus. Doesn't mean they are any greater just more bling at the end of the games/career.   

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

Not sure what bringing racist stereotypes has to do with anything.

Black people are free to enter swimming events if they wish.

If they are good enough they will make the team

As will white sprinters if they are good enough, race should be irrelevant in this day and age.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

I can't believe you mentioned that!

It was over half a century ago!! We have done nothing on the International stage since that it's embarrassing considering we invented the bloody game. Portugal, Denmark and Greece have all won the Euros!

Brexit voters.  Thick as two short ones, living in a past they weren't even part of but seem to feel nostalgia for.  

3 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

After you mentioned 8 white men/women in swimming. No I've just reread the last few posts and you definitely brought skin colour into it no one else had mentioned it before you, different events are often dominated by different races it's fact get over it should we not like an event or sport just because it's dominated by certain skin colours? Not me I enjoy all sporting events regardless of who is competing xDxD

I mentioned 8 men or women , because swimming IS usually 8 white men or women ,and hardly representative of a whole games ...doh ?

17 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I mentioned 8 men or women , because swimming IS usually 8 white men or women ,and hardly representative of a whole games ...doh ?

So you agree you brought race into it OK I get it, and as a comparison I compared swimming to top level sprinters who are generally black, the point is it doesn't matter about race an event is no less of an event if it is generally dominated by a single race, the race of the competitors should be irrelevant.