Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

21 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I didn’t say they wouldn’t train, just that they wouldn’t peak and, like it or not, outdoor training is more limited in the UK between November to March.  Only a small handful of elite athletes can winter overseas.  Also the CG is not that major an event for everyone.  Track and field athletes for instance make their money at events across Europe between June to September.

You are making an awful lot of excuses aren't you ?

10 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

England comfortably topped the medal table in 2014 despite Australia dominating the swimming as always.  There are some key issues at play for the home nations this time around.

The 2014 Games were at the end of the English summer (and end of Australian winter) so many sportsmen and women could fully prepare at the end of that season.  This time around few Brits will have had much opportunity to train outdoors in the previous 6 months let alone compete.

Another major factor is that the London 2012 boost is wearing off with many of the stars of 2012 now retired.

The 3rd important point is that the Games are simply much more important for the Australians as it is at home and a focal point for the year as 2014 was for the Scots in particular whereas some British athletes will view this as a pre-season warm-up.

Don't the top athletes train elsewhere?  My friends son is from New Zealand but trained overseas, I know the divers have had competitions and also train in other parts of Europe (that's warmer), I'm sure it must be the same for some of the athletes - particularly those with lottery funding.

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I didn’t say they wouldn’t train, just that they wouldn’t peak and, like it or not, outdoor training is more limited in the UK between November to March.  Only a small handful of elite athletes can winter overseas.  Also the CG is not that major an event for everyone.  Track and field athletes for instance make their money at events across Europe between June to September.

Obviously outdoor training is limited but not a huge deal for track athletes unless there is snow on the ground it doesn't need to be sunny and dry to train, I used to be part of a small athletics team in a small town in the mildlands even as kids we were out twice a week all year round the seniors more so the top level guys will be out rain or shine. I disagree if an athlete is likely to be representing GB during the season highly likely they will be involved in overseas training camps there are loads from canaries to Thailand every winter. Of course the GC is a major event for all those taking part and a career high for some others.

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Very fine city Birmingham. Some great architecture, excellent shopping, good restaurants, and three big football clubs. It often reminds me of Melbourne. 

iam a brummie saurer , but brum is overlooked for London and manchester now for sport ....

as I say ,the city centre is decent now ....and if you go 10 miles out ether way ,are some lovely spots ....

the inner of all the cities in the area leave a lot to be desired .....brum ,Wolverhampton and Coventry .

its funny you should make the comparison between brum and Melbourne though ?....because that's what I thought when I first saw Melbourne after being in w.a for 6 years ....." Bloody hell its like being back in brum " ?

of course I isn't ,because of the likes of the m.c.g etc .....brum has nothing like that .

but the rough areas , are like our inner city areas here .

Melbourne didn't do it for me

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

iam a brummie saurer , but brum is overlooked for London and manchester now for sport ....

as I say ,the city centre is decent now ....and if you go 10 miles out ether way ,are some lovely spots ....

the inner of all the cities in the area leave a lot to be desired .....brum ,Wolverhampton and Coventry .

its funny you should make the comparison between brum and Melbourne though ?....because that's what I thought when I first saw Melbourne after being in w.a for 6 years ....." Bloody hell its like being back in brum " ?

of course I isn't ,because of the likes of the m.c.g etc .....brum has nothing like that .

Being a Brummie I agree with most you say here Brum does get overlooked far to often and has so much to offer.

However the rough areas in Melbourne have nothing on the rough areas of brum absolutely nothing! To be fair I found some of the outer suburbs rougher but not on par with inner city UK. Australia tends to spread it's issues out quite well.

5 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Same reasons Australia failed to come close to England last time around.

Failed to come close? There was 9 gold medals in it at the end of the 2014 games? There's currently 34 xD I know that will change over the closing days though.

Scotland were hosts and going on the theory the hosts do well they didn't actually do that well they did better on the GC xD

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I spent a lot of time in Birmingham as a kid (family) and then later as an adult due to a gf who studied there. Always liked the place for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. Back in the day Brum was always seen as the second city in the U.K. but that accolade might have shifted to Manchester now, particularly with the BBC moving there. As well as the physical resemblances I see between Birmingham and Melbourne, I guess that they're both 'third' cities now in their respective countries - Melbourne getting the bronze after Sydney and Canberra. 

Fully expecting now to get stick from posters in Brisbane and Perth telling me that their respective cities should have third spot instead! ?

5 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I spent a lot of time in Birmingham as a kid (family) and then later as an adult due to a gf who studied there. Always liked the place for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. Back in the day Brum was always seen as the second city in the U.K. but that accolade might have shifted to Manchester now, particularly with the BBC moving there. As well as the physical resemblances I see between Birmingham and Melbourne, I guess that they're both 'third' cities now in their respective countries - Melbourne getting the bronze after Sydney and Canberra. 

Fully expecting now to get stick from posters in Brisbane and Perth telling me that their respective cities should have third spot instead! ?

brum os still the official 2nd city ...London the capital and Manchester the sporting capital .

in relation to oz , no one outside of oz , except for people at quizzes know that canberra is the capital .

people only know Sydney ( unofficial capital ) and Melbourne ( sporting capital )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Failed to come close? There was 9 gold medals in it at the end of the 2014 games? There's currently 34 xD I know that will change over the closing days though.

Scotland were hosts and going on the theory the hosts do well they didn't actually do that well they did better on the GC xD

The Paralympic competition was separate in 2014 so you are not comparing apples with apples there.

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The Paralympic competition was separate in 2014 so you are not comparing apples with apples there.

The Paralympic results from 2014 would not have changed the result one bit England and Aus were pretty much like for like with medals. in para events.

Edited by Sandgroper

47 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Poor Callum Hawkins from Scotland, my heart broke watching him. I do think they should have helped him sooner but i dont know the rules ..

Cal x

They tried to but he turned them away as he thought he could continue.  Just updated on the news 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Poor Callum Hawkins from Scotland, my heart broke watching him. I do think they should have helped him sooner but i dont know the rules ..

Cal x

I do think that if a member of the public had stepped in he then would have been disqualified - Bulya suggests he thought he could continue.

• Like 1