Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

Just now, Gbye grey sky said:

I tend to disagree.  RFL is well supported here, and cricket’s Big Bash games were regularly played in front of 30-40,000 people across the country.  Australia has smaller population than the UK spread out over a vast land mass too.

Yeah you're right, forgot about the BBL.

And they do have huge % participation numbers across a much broader range of sports than the UK, especially for women.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parley said:

Wow. Australia has almost double the number of medals of the the 2nd best team England.

This is almost embarassing.

Australia have done really well so far, but track and field arent Aussie strong points (in comparrison) so the UK will probably close the gap massively. 

Cal x

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ssiri said:

That didn’t last long....emoji52.png

That's right sirri you should expect to medals table to go up and down.

I like to see the underdogs do well. In fact the commonwealth games are so friendly I don't care who wins (as long as they don't cheat).

• Like 1

I notice the paralympic (if that is what they are called) are being run as part of the overall event rather than separate.

Maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure whether the other countries send big teams of disabled athletes.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I notice the paralympic (if that is what they are called) are being run as part of the overall event rather than separate.

Maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure whether the other countries send big teams of disabled athletes.

I think that was first introduced at the Manchester games - I think it's fabulous 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bulya said:

Many don’t even know it’s on, from comments we heard at the cafe 

I am sure there are some who don’t know it’s on but to glean that from people talking about the Games at the cafe is a bit odd.

Were people really commenting that there is nothing going on at The Gold Coast at the moment?  I am sure there are a lot of things going on in the world that have passed me by but, by definition, I wouldn’t be commenting on them at the cafe.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I am sure there are some who don’t know it’s on but to glean that from people talking about the Games at the cafe is a bit odd.

Were people really commenting that there is nothing going on at The Gold Coast at the moment?  I am sure there are a lot of things going on in the world that have passed me by but, by definition, I wouldn’t be commenting on them at the cafe.

They were surprised looking at the large LCD that CG was on.  Some people really do live in a bubble 

That's right sirri you should expect to medals table to go up and down.
I like to see the underdogs do well. In fact the commonwealth games are so friendly I don't care who wins (as long as they don't cheat).

It does do that, and as others have stated it’s an Aus hosted games, so expect them to do well.

The ads here have been modified, but initially it was a ‘we are ready for the poms’ type campaign on c7 ( someone probably reminded c7 there are other countries involved it it, hence is disappeared from our screens).