Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

5 hours ago, Parley said:

Does this finally settle the argument about which is the greatest sporting nation ?

Yes it does settle it.

it settles **** all ....lets see the medals table at the olympics when the U.S , and China are involved.

the commonwealth games are hardly a barometer

what a ridiculous statement .

Australia are nowhere near the greatest sporting nation

if its the greatest per capita , that isn't Australia either ,its new Zealand .

being top of the medals table at a tin pot competition ,with none of the big boys there ,does not make Australia the greatest sporting nation ....but it is the sort of statement I would expect from an Aussie ,even a plastic one

have they ever won the football world cup ? ....the biggest participation sport on the planet ....england have .

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Does this finally settle the argument about which is the greatest sporting nation ?

Yes it does settle it.

It confirms that Australians produce more people better swimming up and down a pool 4 different ways.  So far, literally 28 of their 50 Gold Medals have come in the swimming.  73 out of 130 medals.  Swimming makes up a disproportionate number of medals.  Always has......and it’s so boring after the 10th race let alone the hundreds in this event.

It has never made sense to me that people get medals for doing something slowly.  Freestyle makes sense as, like running, the fastest wins.  Breast stroke was not devised for speed.  Backstroke, I ask you.  Why not have medals on the track for fastest running backwards.  Don’t get me started on butterfly......which is as stupid an event as walking, something else the Aussies excel in.

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

it settles **** all ....lets see the medals table at the olympics when the U.S , and China are involved.

the commonwealth games are hardly a barometer

what a ridiculous statement .

Australia are nowhere near the greatest sporting nation

if its the greatest per capita , that isn't Australia either ,its new Zealand .

being top of the medals table at a tin pot competition ,with none of the big boys there ,does not make Australia the greatest sporting nation ....but it is the sort of statement I would expect from an Aussie ,even a plastic one

have they ever won the football world cup ? ....the biggest participation sport on the planet ....england have .

Australia and New Zealand are the same from what I can see. They aren't greater.

Australia have 5 times the population of New Zealand and have won exactly 5 times as many medals and 5 times as many Golds.

D

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

It confirms that Australians produce more people better swimming up and down a pool 4 different ways.  So far, literally 28 of their 50 Gold Medals have come in the swimming.  73 out of 130 medals.  Swimming makes up a disproportionate number of medals.  Always has......and it’s so boring after the 10th race let alone the hundreds in this event.

It has never made sense to me that people get medals for doing something slowly.  Freestyle makes sense as, like running, the fastest wins.  Breast stroke was not devised for speed.  Backstroke, I ask you.  Why not have medals on the track for fastest running backwards.  Don’t get me started on butterfly......which is as stupid an event as walking, something else the Aussies excel in.

???....the Aussies are starting to piss you off I can tell ???...just one more for you " GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA " ???.

I have just been out for a curry , one of the old boys has been watching it ....he was going mad ..." ******* Australians " ....apparently there was a swimming race ,and the Aussie coverage was only focussing on the Aussie in the race ..and not all 8 swimmers ???....even the commentator commented on it ....." GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA " ???

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

D

???....the Aussies are starting to piss you off I can tell ???...just one more for you " GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA " ???.

I have just been out for a curry , one of the old boys has been watching it ....he was going mad ..." ******* Australians " ....apparently there was a swimming race ,and the Aussie coverage was only focussing on the Aussie in the race ..and not all 8 swimmers ???....even the commentator commented on it ....." GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA " ???

To be expected as coverage is not that dissimilar in the UK though perhaps more one-eyed here.

My beef is really with swimming as an event.  Understandably it gets a lot of coverage here and it is just really boring as a spectacle after you have watched 8 swimmers going back and forth for the thousandth time.  A bit more variety would be great so it will be better once the swimming events have finished.

18 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

To be expected as coverage is not that dissimilar in the UK though perhaps more one-eyed here.

My beef is really with swimming as an event.  Understandably it gets a lot of coverage here and it is just really boring as a spectacle after you have watched 8 swimmers going back and forth for the thousandth time.  A bit more variety would be great so it will be better once the swimming events have finished.

just a bit more one eyed ???

47 minutes ago, Parley said:

Australia and New Zealand are the same from what I can see. They aren't greater.

Australia have 5 times the population of New Zealand and have won exactly 5 times as many medals and 5 times as many Golds.

in all sports , not just the commonwealth games ...doh !

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Subjective opinion. I think you will find swimming is by far the most popular of all the sports at Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

But they finished last night you will be pleased to know.

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

just a bit more one eyed ???

I was visiting the UK during the 1988 Seoul Olympics and it was very difficult to discover how Australia - or any one apart from the UK - was doing.   It was pre internet, of course, so totally reliant on TV and newspaper coverage.    After that experience you'd be hard pressed to convince me the UK was any less one eyed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You sound just like my (Aussie) OH.  He reckons there should just be one swimming event for each distance and the competitors can do what ever stroke they want and the first to finish is the winner.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I can't believe you mentioned that!

It was over half a century ago!! We have done nothing on the International stage since that it's embarrassing considering we invented the bloody game. Portugal, Denmark and Greece have all won the Euros!

Australia were bottom of there group in the last world cup and didn't progress, exactly the same as England! They performed as well as us in the biggest tournament in the world we can't criticize really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, calNgary said:

5 Cameroon Athletes have gone AWOL from the village. 2 have missed their events. Its not the first time athletes have gone missing at Olympic or commonwealth games, but they do always seem to be from African nations.

http://www.mygc.com.au/cameroon-athletes-vanish-from-gold-coast-commonwealth-games-village/

Cal x

Some people are questioning if the missing athletes and this crime are linked????????????????????????????????

The plot thickens,lol

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2018/04/10/armed-robbery-uumv-yeronga/

Cal x

16 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes it does settle it.

Hardly the greatest sporting nation, but a huge effort for such a small population certainly punching well above there weight as usual.

As soon as Oz starting doing better than the home nations in the medal table you just knew the haters would start hating didn't you?

1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

I can't believe you mentioned that!

It was over half a century ago!! We have done nothing on the International stage since that it's embarrassing considering we invented the bloody game. Portugal, Denmark and Greece have all won the Euros!

Australia were bottom of there group in the last world cup and didn't progress, exactly the same as England! They performed as well as us in the biggest tournament in the world we can't criticize really.

Especially when you consider girlie ball participation rate here compared to blighty!