Anyone Else worried a Brexit vote will hit the pocket bigtime

legoman

Money-obsessed and anti-working class – the liberal left has revealed its ugly side.

Those on the liberal left have always prided themselves on being more caring and compassionate than conservatives.

People on the right, they insist, are narrow-minded and selfish, beholden to vested interests. They only care about money and themselves. They are bad people.

This is one of the most persistent myths of modern times. I’ve never believed it.

Selfishness transcends politics.

Those on the left are just as given as conservatives to self-interest, bigotry and dislike of people different to themselves. And, my word, over the past couple of weeks, following Britain’s vote to leave the UK, haven’t we seen just how.

The illusion of the liberal-left’s inherent and exclusive capacity for compassion has truly been exploded.

Consider the recent March for Europe in London, to demand that the will of the people be revoked and that corporate-backed oligarchy be restored.

Rich, metropolitan types have shamelessly complained about the result because their holidays in Europe will henceforth become more expensive.

They fear for their second homes in Tuscany and the south of France. People have been saying this openly. The burghers of north London fear they might no longer get dirt-cheap nannies and au pairs from Eastern Europe.

They fret about the staff on the sainted NHS, staff trained at the expense of poorer countries who we in the UK have since hired on the cheap. Corporate types fear for the future of immigrant workers, those magnificently exploited souls who live six to a room on three-month contracts being paid a minimum wage or less. Such outrageous displays of greed haven’t been witnessed since the heady days of Thatcherism.

Consider, too, the ceaseless insults hurled at the stupid, poor white people who voted to leave the EU.

These are folk who struggle to maintain a first home, let alone a second – people who can barely afford to go on holiday at all.

These are the fishermen, from Aberdeen to Hull to Ramsgate to Hastings to Cornwall, whose livelihoods have been devastated by the EU – the same fishermen taunted by Bob Geldof and his champagne-swilling chums. These are the people living in Peterborough and Boston who can’t get doctor’s appointments or find school places for their children because hospitals and schools are overwhelmed.

These are people whose small businesses have been ruined by Operation Stack in Kent, whereby lorries clog up the roads for miles, the result of Schengen Area free movement that has led to the mayhem in Calais. Consider those people in Wales who faced the daily, humiliating reminder that their economy was dependent on hand-outs from the EU.

Consider, too, all these English people in Dover and Folkestone who know Poles and Latvians, not as cheap domestic staff but as neighbours, parents of their children’s schoolfriends, as equals. All these people slandered as vermin and racists.

• Like 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed. Discovered with horror that the "other grandparents" in the UK voted Leave. Believed all the lies. Didn't concern them that our two shared grandchildren will no longer be citizens of the world's largest trading etc bloc, of 500 million mostly well off people. This didn't go down at all well with their own daughter and my son. Things are pretty tense. I did read where some grandparents in the UK were tempted to vote Leave, but thought of their grandchildren and voted Remain. This must be happening in a lot of families. For Australia, there may be some short term gains. Australian tourists in the UK will certainly get quite a lot more for their dollar, for example. But if Brexit triggers a global recession, which is very likely, we will not be immune - and we don't have the buffer we had before the GFC.

What lies? care to list them.

Money-obsessed and anti-working class – the liberal left has revealed its ugly side.

Those on the liberal left have always prided themselves on being more caring and compassionate than conservatives.

People on the right, they insist, are narrow-minded and selfish, beholden to vested interests. They only care about money and themselves. They are bad people.

This is one of the most persistent myths of modern times. I’ve never believed it.

Those on the left are just as given as conservatives to self-interest, bigotry and dislike of people different to themselves. And, my word, over the past couple of weeks, following Britain’s vote to leave the UK, haven’t we seen just how.

The illusion of the liberal-left’s inherent and exclusive capacity for compassion has truly been exploded.

Consider the recent March for Europe in London, to demand that the will of the people be revoked and that corporate-backed oligarchy be restored.

Rich, metropolitan types have shamelessly complained about the result because their holidays in Europe will henceforth become more expensive.

They fear for their second homes in Tuscany and the south of France. People have been saying this openly. The burghers of north London fear they might no longer get dirt-cheap nannies and au pairs from Eastern Europe.

They fret about the staff on the sainted NHS, staff trained at the expense of poorer countries who we in the UK have since hired on the cheap. Corporate types fear for the future of immigrant workers, those magnificently exploited souls who live six to a room on three-month contracts being paid a minimum wage or less. Such outrageous displays of greed haven’t been witnessed since the heady days of Thatcherism.

Consider, too, the ceaseless insults hurled at the stupid, poor white people who voted to leave the EU.

These are folk who struggle to maintain a first home, let alone a second – people who can barely afford to go on holiday at all.

These are the fishermen, from Aberdeen to Hull to Ramsgate to Hastings to Cornwall, whose livelihoods have been devastated by the EU – the same fishermen taunted by Bob Geldof and his champagne-swilling chums. These are the people living in Peterborough and Boston who can’t get doctor’s appointments or find school places for their children because hospitals and schools are overwhelmed.

These are people whose small businesses have been ruined by Operation Stack in Kent, whereby lorries clog up the roads for miles, the result of Schengen Area free movement that has led to the mayhem in Calais. Consider those people in Wales who faced the daily, humiliating reminder that their economy was dependent on hand-outs from the EU.

Consider, too, all these English people in Dover and Folkestone who know Poles and Latvians, not as cheap domestic staff but as neighbours, parents of their children’s schoolfriends, as equals. All these people slandered as vermin and racists.

Well illustrated

Some 16 million people voted to Remain. That so many people have 2nd homes and/or employ low paid Eastern Europeans would be remarkable if true. And contending that rich metropolitan types would be so energised as to march principally because their foreign holidays will be more expensive is ludicrous.

The reality is that the vast majority of those 16 million were voting for a unified Europe of cooperation across a broad spectrum as opposed to conflict which has blighted the continent throughout history. And they believe that it is in the interest of Britons and the rest of Europe to work together.

Two in three Scots voted to Remain in the EU. How do they fit in with your crude stereotype.

The rich are not impacted either way. It is arguable that by diluting the power of politicians it actually strengthens the power of the corporations and the wealthy elite.

The people who protest are mainly those who had a positive vision for a European Union. Those you highlight are mainly focussed now on maximising their wealth creation by other means in a post-Brexit world and would not waste their time protesting.

Yes, am keeping my head below parapet. At least the UK now has a PM, which is a start. Let's hope she and Merkel can sort out the unholy mess the Posh Boys have made. May has made it quite clear that out is out, as she has said all along. Let's see what the Bank of England does next.

Totally agree.

I also think that the people who attended the EU support protest were not really there because they love the EU, but because of something we see a lot in London and the South East. That is a sense of entitlement. It was more an outrage that they didn't get their way as they are so used to getting what they want. Many were young people brought up in an age of self entitlement. A belief that they are always right and deserve to be treated as such. When people told them otherwise, they couldn't cope with it.

Totally agree.

I also think that the people who attended the EU support protest were not really there because they love the EU, but because of something we see a lot in London and the South East. That is a sense of entitlement. It was more an outrage that they didn't get their way as they are so used to getting what they want. Many were young people brought up in an age of self entitlement. A belief that they are always right and deserve to be treated as such. When people told them otherwise, they couldn't cope with it.

Lol. It would have been funny to watch the howls of protest if the result had gone the other way. Cries of traitors no doubt.

Indeed. Discovered with horror that the "other grandparents" in the UK voted Leave. Believed all the lies. Didn't concern them that our two shared grandchildren will no longer be citizens of the world's largest trading etc bloc, of 500 million mostly well off people. This didn't go down at all well with their own daughter and my son. Things are pretty tense. I did read where some grandparents in the UK were tempted to vote Leave, but thought of their grandchildren and voted Remain. This must be happening in a lot of families. For Australia, there may be some short term gains. Australian tourists in the UK will certainly get quite a lot more for their dollar, for example. But if Brexit triggers a global recession, which is very likely, we will not be immune - and we don't have the buffer we had before the GFC.

Why are you so upset? Is it going to stop your kids travelling when they get a bit older, I don't think it will. Never stopped me and the wife before the UK joined up.

You are probably too young to remember but it really wasn't a whole lot different to travel to other places. Sure, you might have to show your passport a bit more but that will be it.

[h=2]The FTSE 100 has recorded its best weekly performance since December 2011[/h]After an initial slump in the first two trading days following the Brexit vote, the index of Britain’s top 100 companies regained all its losses by Wednesday and is now at its best level since last August.

The remarkable rebound has surprised analysts, with Chris Beauchamp, a senior market analyst at the spread betting group IG, saying: “Of all the post-Brexit outcomes discussed across the City over the past few months, ‘buying frenzy’ was not one that was viewed as very likely.”

Bank of England hinting at printing billions and pumping it in to the economy, cutting interest rates and devaluing the pound whilst the UK is still in the single market for up to two more years (at least) means that speculators have seen the opportunity for a profit.

eghhhh, no, they have dismissed that out of hand.

Yes it says it all. But I should have said I didn't write it. It appeared on facebook this morning. I'm an uneducated old fart with probably below average intellect so I could never write anything that good.

Well, you're honest now so I won't hold it against you.

I did like your post, and there is a lot of truth in it. But my worry is that leaving won't make things better, but my hope is that it may.

I am glad we have a new pm. We might be moving in the right direction.

But slowly slowly catchee monkey. We need to take small steps and build foundations.

As many aren't happy to have a non brexit pm, I fear the next protests won't be remain. I hope they are peaceful.

Back to whether our pockets will be hurt after Brexit, comparing our 4 UK pensions from before the referendum to this month, we have received over $400 less this month.

Hopefully it will stabilise.

Mike

I thought they only change the amount quarterly or something like that.

Is that true ?

• 3 weeks later...