Anyone Else worried a Brexit vote will hit the pocket bigtime

legoman

I see the exchange rate has been fluctuating a lot depending on how the polls go re the EU vote, just sold my house and now worried I will lose bigtime on exchange rate when the time comes should we leave, looks like its going to be a close one

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see the exchange rate has been fluctuating a lot depending on how the polls go re the EU vote, just sold my house and now worried I will lose bigtime on exchange rate when the time comes should we leave, looks like its going to be a close one

Will be a close one for us too, complete second week of June.

There is a clear expectation that the money markets will be running their own exit polls (as much as they can) and that we will probably see the likely outcome of the vote around 7/8pm as the markets start to move based on anticipated result. Expectation is a big swing either way.

We are tempted to move half our funds immediately and then hedge with the other half to see the outcome. On the other hand we could be gambling away a good position for us, so the sensible thing would be to move it all in case the pound heads towards $1.50.

Certainly interesting times!!

Will be a close one for us too, complete second week of June.

There is a clear expectation that the money markets will be running their own exit polls (as much as they can) and that we will probably see the likely outcome of the vote around 7/8pm as the markets start to move based on anticipated result. Expectation is a big swing either way.

We are tempted to move half our funds immediately and then hedge with the other half to see the outcome. On the other hand we could be gambling away a good position for us, so the sensible thing would be to move it all in case the pound heads towards $1.50.

Certainly interesting times!!

I can send some but fear once completion is done if the vote is leave I will lose $$$$$$$$$. was 2.18 now less than 2 dollars, on house proceeds that is a huge amount, plus if house prices drop then byers could pull out or worse ask for a price drop. Not good times

The exchange rate has not been particularly fluctuating any more than normal (I have worked in multi currency environments for over twenty years and so have good awareness of these things). You are possibly just more aware of the exchange rate movement right now as it is of special interest. Take a look at a ten year graph, take a look at any ten year graph between two random currencies. You will see it is always up and down.

Furthermore, anyone working in money markets will have started considering Brexit a very long time ago, they won't only do it on the morning after the vote. Uncertainty, which is worse than certainty, is already built into the pound. I expect there will be no more than a blip in the pound on the 24th whatever way the vote goes.

As to the vote, well I am sure it will be remain.

I can send some but fear once completion is done if the vote is leave I will lose $$$$$$$$$. was 2.18 now less than 2 dollars, on house proceeds that is a huge amount, plus if house prices drop then byers could pull out or worse ask for a price drop. Not good times

2.18 is about the long term historical average.

However in the last five years it has only touched 2.18 momentarily. In recent years it has been well under 2 most of the time, you are likely to do far better than anyone who moved since 2010.

House prices dropping? Pound crashing? All utter nonsense and very effective scare mongering by this government.

However in the last five years it has only touched 2.18 momentarily. In recent years it has been well under 2 most of the time, you are likely to do far better than anyone who moved since 2010.

House prices dropping? Pound crashing? All utter nonsense and very effective scare mongering by this government.

I love you :-0. keep telling me,

You shouldn't be worried. The pound will strengthen after the NO vote wins. But the NO vote has been hammering the YES contingent over the weekend so it might even strengthen later on tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Pound crashing. What nonsense. That'll never happen!.......errrrr...oh.

It seems it's happened in a major way eh? It might sort it self over time, but that might be some time. No one knows when.. could be a year, 4 years. Who knows!

We wish we'd sold up 6 months ago. I didn't think all this would happen to be honest, but it has. So now would indeed be bad time to sell and move here... best to keep the UK house for a time until things turn better at some indeterminable time in the future.

We have money in uk ,people need to understand that markets go up and down we missed out on the last high of around 2.20 because some one stuffed up moving money across our accounts ,

people have short memories about 14 -16 months ago it was at 1.42 so today's rate is a lot better.

its all about being in right place at right time you have to deal with here and now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that there will be a mini boom for Cobol programming as a result of the brexit. I'm an old Cobol programmer who has moved into web support. But I could always move back if the price is right. Most Cobol developers are retired. Could be a real shortage and contract rates could go through the roof.

I may be able to make a small fortune, with the added bonus of everyone in the construction industry will be dumping all their stuff, so I'll pick it up for a song. This is looking better by the minute. I should have voted to leave!

I have read that there will be a mini boom for Cobol programming as a result of the brexit. I'm an old Cobol programmer who has moved into web support. But I could always move back if the price is right. Most Cobol developers are retired. Could be a real shortage and contract rates could go through the roof.

I may be able to make a small fortune, with the added bonus of everyone in the construction industry will be dumping all their stuff, so I'll pick it up for a song. This is looking better by the minute. I should have voted to leave!

The GBP I need to move to Aus was left to me by my brother who died. I find it upsetting that it has devalued so rapidly, like I'd be doing him a disservice moving it over now! Silly maybe, but I know he'd be horrified both at the referendum outcome and the devaluation - he put off plans to move to Australia post GFC and eventually never made it.

I did move some over when the rate was almost 1.8, which seemed crap at the time, but it's only getting crapper now!!

We have the proceeds from our house sale in £'s still, we completed on the 19th June so couldnt get the funds through before the vote :cry: luckily we don't need the money yet as we won't be buying for 12 months or so, hopefully the rates will be a bit better by then. I know exchange rates are never guaranteed, but I cant help but cry to myself over it. It is good for many other things/people though, swings and roundabouts.

I remember our first visit to Aus, the rate was around 1.79 and we thought that was amazing (being used to the rubbish euro at about 1.18). I think we got a bit greedy when the dollar got up to 2.18, nothing else will do now :rolleyes::twitcy:

Edited by M1cha3la

It's an utter shambles, and disgusting that those who campaigned prolifically have walked away. Ultimately I think the timing was terrible - could have been worse, but UK had a way to go in post GFC recovery. Could have at least waited until interest rates had risen. Now looks like interest rate will reach a new historic low in the next few days.

What a mess.

Edited by paisleylass

We are witnessing falls in London house prices for the moment as hesitation to commit becomes evident. Some even pulling out of purchasing. Indeed may well result in lowering interest rates further in an attempt to stimulate falling demand.

A falling pound together with property bound to see a further onslaught of the London market, by far eastern and middle eastern buyers, further placing the London market out of the hands of UK buyers. A mess all round indeed.