Anyone Else worried a Brexit vote will hit the pocket bigtime

legoman

I see the exchange rate has been fluctuating a lot depending on how the polls go re the EU vote, just sold my house and now worried I will lose bigtime on exchange rate when the time comes should we leave, looks like its going to be a close one

As it stands a couple of months in on the

1st Sept ...definitely not ...britain is doing well

Now the e.u that's the area to worry about

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
like a guy watching his horse heading for the finish post, that's me watching the pound at the moment, house completion end of month,

I wouldn't expect much to happen until article 50.

More like one of those go slow bike races they have on the kids sports day.

Even fed rate rise is looking unlikely now.

I wouldn't expect much to happen until article 50.

More like one of those go slow bike races they have on the kids sports day.

Even fed rate rise is looking unlikely now.

The major factor would be inflation figures I suspect and the extent to which currency devaluation affects that. So long as inflation remains within 2%pa the BoE will maintain a tight fiscal policy strangling any upward pressure on the GBP.

A 10-15% hike in the cost of imported goods, raw materials, oil and gas (based on the 10-15% devaluation of the GBP) will impact on the cost of goods ultimately. Larger businesses carried reserves of foreign currency so can delay the impact of a devaluation and gain a competitive advantage over smaller businesses who hold no such reserves.

The global oil price looks as though it will remain low for the foreseeable future so there may not be pressure on that 2% target until next year.

But if inflation really starts to rise watch the GBP rise in response.

The major factor would be inflation figures I suspect and the extent to which currency devaluation affects that. So long as inflation remains within 2%pa the BoE will maintain a tight fiscal policy strangling any upward pressure on the GBP.

A 10-15% hike in the cost of imported goods, raw materials, oil and gas (based on the 10-15% devaluation of the GBP) will impact on the cost of goods ultimately. Larger businesses carried reserves of foreign currency so can delay the impact of a devaluation and gain a competitive advantage over smaller businesses who hold no such reserves.

The global oil price looks as though it will remain low for the foreseeable future so there may not be pressure on that 2% target until next year.

But if inflation really starts to rise watch the GBP rise in response.

exports will benefit massively with a weaker pound.

except that the input costs will also go up, as UK not a resource producer and will need to import raw materials...

That limits the gain but doesn't wipe it out. It also only applies to manufactured exports. Service sector needs no raw materials.

The big factor is inflation as, when that rises, typically wage costs rise and the competitive advantage is lost. Devaluation only orovides a short term boost really.

That limits the gain but doesn't wipe it out. It also only applies to manufactured exports. Service sector needs no raw materials.

The big factor is inflation as, when that rises, typically wage costs rise and the competitive advantage is lost. Devaluation only orovides a short term boost really.

Many experts are know saying after the gloom and doom predictions before the brexit vote that the UK might well do very well out of the EU

Many experts are know saying after the gloom and doom predictions before the brexit vote that the UK might well do very well out of the EU

Of course. It depends on the terms of exit. I think that we can bank on the Tories to agree a very business-friendly exit. Whether this provides much if anything for the Leave voters aspirations remains to be seen.

Ah, but freedom of movement of labour will help keep wages down and enable us to grow in an inflation free global economy and I just saw what you did there.

Ironically, it is the freedom from barriers which are causing the deflationary shock that we are currently facing. Whilst this is good for the economy, it is a double edged sword. The terrible irony is that maybe trump is right?

Initially I was 50 50 about the Brexit, and not going to vote as do not reside in the UK. Reading the scaremongering tactics from both parties, you could not tell what the actual truth was. Since Brexit and seeing the true colours of Germany and France and the way they want to treat the UK exit as an example to the rest of Europe not to try the same thing. I am very glad we did vote to leave and hope it stays like this and the politicians do not work it out to stay part of the EU to line there own pockets instead of listening to what the people decided.

Ironically, the people complaining the most are the younger voters, who incidentally decided that they did not need to turn up to vote and had such a low turnout. Yes people are complaining that their parents/grandparents have brought this on and they should have been thinking off their children/grandchildren and not about themselves, even though a large majority of them lived through an independent UK before they got lied to about joining the EU.

I really hope the UK has the balls to stick this out and work it through. Countries around the world are now looking to this as a good thing, as independent trade and not trade based on how the EU dictates.

Being Scottish, it is frustrating to watch Sturgeon, try to get another referendum in for Scotland to leave the UK and try to join the EU. She only has her interests at heart and not the good of Scotland, who would ultimately get the short straw if they left. All the promises they made that Scotland could support themselves as they have oil, are slowly falling apart and the reality of the Scottish economy starting to show. Scotland had its chance to leave, knowing fine well the Brexit vote was on the horizon and the people voted to stay. Now the Brexit vote went against what the Scottish people voted, they are up in arms about it.

Since the Brexit vote, it is interesting to see how the rest of Europe is responding, others actually thinking themselves that leaving may be a good thing for there own country. The EU is a complete mess at the moment, and not every country has a fair say or representation.

It is over run now by people crossing the borders making the most there new found EU status. Look at the camps at Calais and the French government saying it is the UK's problem to deal with it. When the French should be addressing it as they are the first country the illegal immigrants might have entered. Things are going hill fast.

Initially I was 50 50 about the Brexit, and not going to vote as do not reside in the UK. Reading the scaremongering tactics from both parties, you could not tell what the actual truth was. Since Brexit and seeing the true colours of Germany and France and the way they want to treat the UK exit as an example to the rest of Europe not to try the same thing. I am very glad we did vote to leave and hope it stays like this and the politicians do not work it out to stay part of the EU to line there own pockets instead of listening to what the people decided.

Ironically, the people complaining the most are the younger voters, who incidentally decided that they did not need to turn up to vote and had such a low turnout. Yes people are complaining that their parents/grandparents have brought this on and they should have been thinking off their children/grandchildren and not about themselves, even though a large majority of them lived through an independent UK before they got lied to about joining the EU.

I really hope the UK has the balls to stick this out and work it through. Countries around the world are now looking to this as a good thing, as independent trade and not trade based on how the EU dictates.

Being Scottish, it is frustrating to watch Sturgeon, try to get another referendum in for Scotland to leave the UK and try to join the EU. She only has her interests at heart and not the good of Scotland, who would ultimately get the short straw if they left. All the promises they made that Scotland could support themselves as they have oil, are slowly falling apart and the reality of the Scottish economy starting to show. Scotland had its chance to leave, knowing fine well the Brexit vote was on the horizon and the people voted to stay. Now the Brexit vote went against what the Scottish people voted, they are up in arms about it.

Since the Brexit vote, it is interesting to see how the rest of Europe is responding, others actually thinking themselves that leaving may be a good thing for there own country. The EU is a complete mess at the moment, and not every country has a fair say or representation.

It is over run now by people crossing the borders making the most there new found EU status. Look at the camps at Calais and the French government saying it is the UK's problem to deal with it. When the French should be addressing it as they are the first country the illegal immigrants might have entered. Things are going hill fast.

If we had the vote again, I would like to think that I would vote leave, as I believe the EU is a failed institution. It's dying and it believes it's only chance to survive is to expand and integrate whereas the opposite is in fact true. The euro was the beginning of the end, and I honestly believe they would be in a much better position in they dropped it.

But even now, months after the vote, we have no idea what brexit means. I don't think I can vote for something which would damage the nation. I need a plan or at least an objective.

I think if I voted again I would have to abstain.

If we had the vote again, I would like to think that I would vote leave, as I believe the EU is a failed institution. It's dying and it believes it's only chance to survive is to expand and integrate whereas the opposite is in fact true. The euro was the beginning of the end, and I honestly believe they would be in a much better position in they dropped it.

But even now, months after the vote, we have no idea what brexit means. I don't think I can vote for something which would damage the nation. I need a plan or at least an objective.

I think if I voted again I would have to abstain.

At last nj you are waking up to this failed institution and all the bullshit that goes with it ...listen to the likes of renowned economist Bernard connelly and australias own john pilger its all on you tube .

And people on this board had the audacicity to call BREXITEERS racist ,ignorant and stupid .

THE E.U HERES WHAT I THINK HAPPENS NEXT

Germany is propping up the lot ,when the u.k leave's ....they will be looking for partners and allies with a few quid .

I can see the e.u led by Germany allying itself with RUSSIA ....for mutual benefits ,and the saving of both .

Then I think the u.k may have some problems

Watch this space

At last nj you are waking up to this failed institution and all the bullshit that goes with it ...listen to the likes of renowned economist Bernard connelly and australias own john pilger its all on you tube .

And people on this board had the audacicity to call BREXITEERS racist ,ignorant and stupid .

THE E.U HERES WHAT I THINK HAPPENS NEXT

Germany is propping up the lot ,when the u.k leave's ....they will be looking for partners and allies with a few quid .

I can see the e.u led by Germany allying itself with RUSSIA ....for mutual benefits ,and the saving of both .

Then I think the u.k may have some problems

Watch this space

The Brexit campaigners were saying that the EU wanted an EU Army. Everyone said at the time this was just scaremongering but there's now a genuine proposal from some EU politicians to form such a thing.

As to the e.u. allying itself with Russia - about time. Russia is one the biggest economies in Europe and Germany and much of central Europe are utterly reliant on it's raw materials (particularly Gas). It's a country the EU needed to talk to about a partnership agreement long before it started talking to countries that regularly have revolutions to overthrow their democratically elected government such as Ukraine and Turkey.

If Russia enters then EU it will be the dominant partner and God help the rest, including the Germans. They have a bad history when it comes to equal participation.

Russia will NOT enter the e.u ..why would she ? ....come on get a grip .

I said Russia and the e.u led by Germany ,may in my opinion become closer .

Imagine the e.u trying enforce all the bullshit rules and bureaucracy on Vladimir Putin ...get real

If Russia enters then EU it will be the dominant partner and God help the rest, including the Germans. They have a bad history when it comes to equal participation.

Go have a lie down, what the hell are you on about...Russia becoming a member of the EU :biglaugh:

Russia will NOT enter the e.u ..why would she ? ....come on get a grip .

I said Russia and the e.u led by Germany ,may in my opinion become closer .

Imagine the e.u trying enforce all the bullshit rules and bureaucracy on Vladimir Putin ...get real

I see because the e.u has left the u.k with no trade negotiators ,we are having to borrow some Aussie ones ...true .

It appears the Aussies have stepped straight up at the the G20 with offers of reciprocal trade deals ...so have India .

Meanwhile the Japanese are getting tough about what brexit means to them .

Thank heavens the old order is coming back into place .....britain should not have neglected its commonwealth ties

Archived