Australian Citizenship - who's got it / going to get it, and why?

Never ever regretted taking citizenship and I actually now identify as an English born Australian, and not an English person living in Australia. Very subtle difference.

That's how my daughter refers to herself.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just asked the kids how they see themselves. Eldest considers herself to be both English and Australian, youngest considers herself to be an English-born Australian. We moved here the day after youngest's first birthday.

You know that still makes me scratch my head :) Whether you like it or not you are part of Australia after 7 years, not filling out the last set of forms won't change that. :) It's just another place to live, I don't think I'll ever understand being barefoot in a supermarket, or those bizarre rats tail hair things on kids but I'm prepared to elbow my way in and get what I want from living here -- and as a citizen who is to say that I shouldn't?

That's one of the main reasons why I've never seriously considered applying for it, in that I don't feel part of Australia, but more like an outsider looking in. I envy people like yourself who've been able to embrace Australia - it's an admirable achievement - but one that I've never managed to pull off. I did give it my best shot in the early years but I always felt like I came across like the most awful fraud! Nowadays I live in a total bubble of family and home and am largely unaware of what's going on around me. The other day my daughter asked me how to spell the prime minster's name and I said "it's A..B..B..O, oh hang on, they've changed him now, it's....I'll have to google it!"

Poor Harpo has completely given up on getting any informed conversation out of me! :wink:

Yes. It is a religious calling. Like joining the priesthood

Have I committed a cardinal sin by not applying then?

I'll get me coat! :smile:

I suspect your real reason is that you've set your face against Australia (for reasons I completely understand) and getting citizenship would mean admitting that you MIGHT have to come back one day, which is something you don't want to contemplate.

I suspect that you're probably right with your hunch Marisa. I guess that I will have to reluctantly think about applying for it if not having it might have negative implications for my family down the track. I wonder if you can surrender it later on if you discover that you don't actually need it?

That's one of the main reasons why I've never seriously considered applying for it, in that I don't feel part of Australia, but more like an outsider looking in. I envy people like yourself who've been able to embrace Australia - it's an admirable achievement - but one that I've never managed to pull off. I did give it my best shot in the early years but I always felt like I came across like the most awful fraud! Nowadays I live in a total bubble of family and home and am largely unaware of what's going on around me. The other day my daughter asked me how to spell the prime minster's name and I said "it's A..B..B..O, oh hang on, they've changed him now, it's....I'll have to google it!"

Poor Harpo has completely given up on getting any informed conversation out of me! :wink:

Don't worry about Harpo, he's gone native anyway, in fact would you please call him Ocker Harpo from now on, you should think about citizenship, doesn't mean you have to a flag waving Orstralian, but more of a acceptance that you have an ongoing association with Australia, in your case it's because you have an Australian family, like it or not you'll always have that Australian connection, may as well formalise it, even if it's for future proofing.

I suspect that you're probably right with your hunch Marisa. I guess that I will have to reluctantly think about applying for it if not having it might have negative implications for my family down the track. I wonder if you can surrender it later on if you discover that you don't actually need it?

I'm sure you can but why bother? Just put the certificate in the bottom drawer and forget about it. You don't have to apply for a passport unless and until you need to use it.

The thing is, becoming a citizen of Australia isn't "becoming an Australian". It's just a legal status which acknowledges your right to live in the country. And though you're agonising about being hypocritical, most Australians couldn't give a flying fart whether you "feel Aussie" or not when you apply. The pledge doesn't say anything about liking the place, just that you'll respect its people - and since your family are Australians, I'm sure you do that already.

[/b]

Sacrilege! Show some respect! The Royal Australian Barbecue Corps don't go to war so that limp wristed chumps like you can come and go as you please!

Sacrilege! Show some respect! The Royal Australian Barbecue Corps don't go to war so that limp wristed chumps like you can come and go as you please!

:biglaugh: It's a good job Sir Les doesn't post on here anymore!

An Irish colleague of mine was surprised when I shared with her that despite having been in Australia for over seven years I hadn't applied for citizenship. She applied immediately upon living here for the mandatory period of time to be eligible (four years I think?) and is awaiting a date for the ceremony. When i asked her why she'd applied, she described it as an "insurance policy" against any future changes to immigration legislation, so that even if she went home to Ireland for a period of time she'd always have the opportunity to return here if she wished. Personally, I did briefly toy with the idea of applying for citizenship in 2014 when I was stung for the cost of a Resident Return Visa during a trip back home, but instead elected not to. When it came down to it, it just didn't feel like a very honest thing for me to do. I currently live in Australia but only because my (Australian) partner wanted to spend some time back here. I've never felt at home here and feel no affinity with this country and so that in all honesty making a pledge to the place seemed well, dishonest, in truth.

I just wondered though how many P.I.O. members have either got citizenship or are planning to apply for it and what prompted it? Was it because you feel Australian now (perhaps more than you feel British), or because you want to display your commitment to your adopted country or because you want the ability to come and go with the ease that comes with holding an Australian passport? Or, is there another reason that I haven't touched upon?

Dont think to hard about it just get it, also saves arsing about with pr visa etc every few years

An Irish colleague of mine was surprised when I shared with her that despite having been in Australia for over seven years I hadn't applied for citizenship. She applied immediately upon living here for the mandatory period of time to be eligible (four years I think?) and is awaiting a date for the ceremony. When i asked her why she'd applied, she described it as an "insurance policy" against any future changes to immigration legislation, so that even if she went home to Ireland for a period of time she'd always have the opportunity to return here if she wished. Personally, I did briefly toy with the idea of applying for citizenship in 2014 when I was stung for the cost of a Resident Return Visa during a trip back home, but instead elected not to. When it came down to it, it just didn't feel like a very honest thing for me to do. I currently live in Australia but only because my (Australian) partner wanted to spend some time back here. I've never felt at home here and feel no affinity with this country and so that in all honesty making a pledge to the place seemed well, dishonest, in truth.

I just wondered though how many P.I.O. members have either got citizenship or are planning to apply for it and what prompted it? Was it because you feel Australian now (perhaps more than you feel British), or because you want to display your commitment to your adopted country or because you want the ability to come and go with the ease that comes with holding an Australian passport? Or, is there another reason that I haven't touched upon?

These reasons and not that I 'feel' more Australian than British but I do feel like an Australian Citizen if that makes sense? Being an Australian citizen is important to me and meaningful but I will never be truly 'Australian'.......

[/b]

You do seemed determined to make sure that you don't start liking any aspect of life here...

You do seemed determined to make sure that you don't start liking any aspect of life here...

Really sorry if I give that impression. I do love spending time with my partner and daughter, a few beers every month with Harpo and we have a nice home here. I just wish I was doing the same stuff, only in England not Australia!

Maybe one day eh Harpo? :wink:

Fingers crossed for you EW.

My lovely wee mother-in-law never enjoyed living in Australia either. She migrated in 1950. When her husband died she packed everything up and moved back to Liverpool then a few years later to London. She took my OH and his little sister with her. OH was happy there for 13 years. Four years after we married we moved to Australia. His little sister has no interest in living here but she and her OH have been on holiday a few times.

Dusting off my membership just to say, EW, that as your partner I think there is only one reason to get citizenship. It's not for all those sensible reasons already stated. Even though they make a lot of sense. It's simply so that I can frame it, hang it on the wall and have something that really makes me laugh every day. Snorting, eyes streaming, loss of bladder control laughter.

Go on, do it just for that :)

I am determined to get citizenship once entitled to it in about 4 years time.

Why? Because it gives permanency, and a sense of really belonging.

It allows you the freedom to take some time out in later life when we will likely want to spend a fair amount of time in Asia and don't want the worry of having to return within a set time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk