Australian Citizenship - who's got it / going to get it, and why?

That's one of the main reasons why I've never seriously considered applying for it, in that I don't feel part of Australia, but more like an outsider looking in. I envy people like yourself who've been able to embrace Australia - it's an admirable achievement - but one that I've never managed to pull off. I did give it my best shot in the early years but I always felt like I came across like the most awful fraud! Nowadays I live in a total bubble of family and home and am largely unaware of what's going on around me. The other day my daughter asked me how to spell the prime minster's name and I said "it's A..B..B..O, oh hang on, they've changed him now, it's....I'll have to google it!"

Poor Harpo has completely given up on getting any informed conversation out of me! :wink:

My OH feels exactly the same why as you even after thirty years (with a few years here and there back in the UK). Would he go back to the UK? I know he would if circumstances were right he'd go in a heartbeat. We have a good life here but it's a very insular one. Much like you EW in a bubble.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusting off my membership just to say, EW, that as your partner I think there is only one reason to get citizenship. It's not for all those sensible reasons already stated. Even though they make a lot of sense. It's simply so that I can frame it, hang it on the wall and have something that really makes me laugh every day. Snorting, eyes streaming, loss of bladder control laughter.

Go on, do it just for that :)

Meanie! :mad:

I am determined to get citizenship once entitled to it in about 4 years time.

Why? Because it gives permanency, and a sense of really belonging.

It allows you the freedom to take some time out in later life when we will likely want to spend a fair amount of time in Asia and don't want the worry of having to return within a set time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally i don't see how a piece of paper can bring a sense of really belonging? You either feel it or you don't.

Dusting off my membership just to say, EW, that as your partner I think there is only one reason to get citizenship. It's not for all those sensible reasons already stated. Even though they make a lot of sense. It's simply so that I can frame it, hang it on the wall and have something that really makes me laugh every day. Snorting, eyes streaming, loss of bladder control laughter.

Go on, do it just for that :)

I'd be doing the exact same thing if my partner ever decided to get citizenship. Unlikely it will happen though. LOL

Personally i don't see how a piece of paper can bring a sense of really belonging? You either feel it or you don't.

I agree with that.... I get it... but I also get that so many others don't. Sometimes though you need to do stuff like this to safeguard yours and your family's future. And I get why people do that too. There is no right or wrong here.... just do what suits you and your family situation really.

We got it as soon as we could - I think it was about 1978 or 9 .I think if people aren't committed enough to do that they should seriously think of returning to their country of origin.It should be compulsory after 10 years especially now you can have dual nationality.

Couldn't agree more!

We got it as soon as we could - I think it was about 1978 or 9 .I think if people aren't committed enough to do that they should seriously think of returning to their country of origin.It should be compulsory after 10 years especially now you can have dual nationality.

Sorry i disagree why should it be compulsory? Freedom of choice should be the way. Many for various reasons choose not and it's their choice. Just because someone chooses not to hardly means they're not commited. Lots of reasons why people don't as i said. Not all countries allow dual nationality either. Do what suits your own circumstances but people should not be forced to do it. Just my thoughts.

We are a long way off this issue but fully intend to apply as soon as eligible. There are many reasons for it, the first being this is intended as a permenant move therefore it is the final step in the process. There are other benefits such as children being eligible to normal uni fees and support etc.

I think it's a case of not feeling like a foreigner / migrant for ever.

I just imagine 20 years down the line still having to prove to employers, or banks etc that you have a valid visa and right to be there - whereas if you have an Aussie passport, simple.

Obviously it's only a small part f the equation, but to me - I think it would be relevant.

Certainly the forever-ness of citizenship is a massive pull for me. I'm still surprised something called a permanent visa isn't actually permanent though.

I just imagine 20 years down the line still having to prove to employers, or banks etc that you have a valid visa and right to be there - whereas if you have an Aussie passport, simple.

Obviously it's only a small part f the equation, but to me - I think it would be relevant.

Certainly the forever-ness of citizenship is a massive pull for me. I'm still surprised something called a permanent visa isn't actually permanent though.

It is actually permanent it doesn't expire it's only the travel part that does.

We will be applying next January, after our first 4 years. Both due to the fact we would otherwise need to keep getting the RRV but mainly due to the difference in costs for our 2 kids when it comes to starting Uni here. Non citizens are not entitled to the same loan process as citizens are. For some kids that would mean the difference in having the chance to go to uni or not. Either way I will be a Scottish girl forever lol.

Quick question based on the above.. My 23 year old daughter is on our visa, has validated and been out a few times but currently still living in London. I am under the impression her visa runs out after 5 years , ie August 2017 but no one can seem to tell me if this is the case. Does she always have the permanent visa, despite having not actually lived here yet? I am really confused by this as she may want to settle here later but I don't know if she can? Any advice appreciated. Ta.

Quick question based on the above.. My 23 year old daughter is on our visa, has validated and been out a few times but currently still living in London. I am under the impression her visa runs out after 5 years , ie August 2017 but no one can seem to tell me if this is the case. Does she always have the permanent visa, despite having not actually lived here yet? I am really confused by this as she may want to settle here later but I don't know if she can? Any advice appreciated. Ta.

Her visa grant documentation will contain all the caveats.

It's the travel entitlements which expire, not the actual visa. So if she was in Australia at the time of the travel expiration, she could still stay in Australia for ever. If she then wanted to travel out and back to Australia, she'd need a RRV or citizenship. Citizenship is the cheaper option.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

An Irish colleague of mine was surprised when I shared with her that despite having been in Australia for over seven years I hadn't applied for citizenship. She applied immediately upon living here for the mandatory period of time to be eligible (four years I think?) and is awaiting a date for the ceremony. When i asked her why she'd applied, she described it as an "insurance policy" against any future changes to immigration legislation, so that even if she went home to Ireland for a period of time she'd always have the opportunity to return here if she wished. Personally, I did briefly toy with the idea of applying for citizenship in 2014 when I was stung for the cost of a Resident Return Visa during a trip back home, but instead elected not to. When it came down to it, it just didn't feel like a very honest thing for me to do. I currently live in Australia but only because my (Australian) partner wanted to spend some time back here. I've never felt at home here and feel no affinity with this country and so that in all honesty making a pledge to the place seemed well, dishonest, in truth.

I just wondered though how many P.I.O. members have either got citizenship or are planning to apply for it and what prompted it? Was it because you feel Australian now (perhaps more than you feel British), or because you want to display your commitment to your adopted country or because you want the ability to come and go with the ease that comes with holding an Australian passport? Or, is there another reason that I haven't touched upon?

I feel much the same about Australia as you do to be honest. Will have been here 14 yrs next month but I got my citizenship many years ago as soon as I was eligible. My main reason was the right to vote - live here permanently, pay taxes, children being brought up here etc so felt I needed to. My second reason was because of my kids, felt that they needed that security to give them choices in the future so I needed to follow suit.

I don't think it's dishonest. Might be if you really hated the country but I don't hate it, I just hate being trapped living here. It's a good country to live in and full of great people but it's just not where I want to live. I'm actually going back in July - finally! No idea how it'll work out but it feels right even after so many years. I'm trying to be realistic though. Having that Australian passport does give me something to fall back on.

On the other hand, if the UK and Australia didn't offer dual citizenship, then it would have been completely out of the question for me!

Why is this the case? I understand having to make the move within a certain time frame after being granted the visa - but why does the travel part expire after 5 years??

It's because a lot of Europeans were coming to Australia to establish their PR, then heading back to Greece or Italy to live - they were using Australia as a kind of insurance policy in case things turned bad. Some of them were also returning in retirement to claim their Aussie pension in spite of having lived in the country for only a few years. That's why the rules on pensions are so strict now.

I just imagine 20 years down the line still having to prove to employers, or banks etc that you have a valid visa and right to be there - whereas if you have an Aussie passport, simple. ]

I have to disagree. At my workplace you have to prove that you are Australian or PR or which visa successful applicants are on.

So what is the point when a person with a 'foreign' accent has to prove the one or the other way?

When you're obliged to show evidence of your Australian working rights with whatever passport you're on both PR + citizenship have the same conditions attached. To proof it with VEVO + foreign passport or to proof it with Australian Citizenship Certificate + passport is both the same heck of red tape for me.

An (Australian) passport is no real proof of citizenship anyway as this statement is rather true for a 'Citizenship Certificate' or an Australian birth certificate + passport.

Edited by silencio

Why is this the case? I understand having to make the move within a certain time frame after being granted the visa - but why does the travel part expire after 5 years??

You're partly right but...Read your visa grant letter as it says the travel facility will expire after 5 years. This applies for offshore PR's only though as said before inside Australia you can remain on your PR forever. With a RRV PR will be converted into a 155 (I believe)

An Irish colleague of mine was surprised when I shared with her that despite having been in Australia for over seven years I hadn't applied for citizenship. She applied immediately upon living here for the mandatory period of time to be eligible (four years I think?) and is awaiting a date for the ceremony. When i asked her why she'd applied, she described it as an "insurance policy" against any future changes to immigration legislation, so that even if she went home to Ireland for a period of time she'd always have the opportunity to return here if she wished. Personally, I did briefly toy with the idea of applying for citizenship in 2014 when I was stung for the cost of a Resident Return Visa during a trip back home, but instead elected not to. When it came down to it, it just didn't feel like a very honest thing for me to do. I currently live in Australia but only because my (Australian) partner wanted to spend some time back here. I've never felt at home here and feel no affinity with this country and so that in all honesty making a pledge to the place seemed well, dishonest, in truth.

I just wondered though how many P.I.O. members have either got citizenship or are planning to apply for it and what prompted it? Was it because you feel Australian now (perhaps more than you feel British), or because you want to display your commitment to your adopted country or because you want the ability to come and go with the ease that comes with holding an Australian passport? Or, is there another reason that I haven't touched upon?

I often wonder how many would take out Australian Citizenship if they had to give up their UK citizenship , I know it's not an issue because we can , but who knows it could change , I certainly wouldn't have given up my Uk citizenship to be an Aussie