Why did you decide to make the move to Oz?

The Smith Clan

I have no problems with people saying they might have a better life provided it's based on reality not pipe dreams. If someone says something that's factually inaccurate then I think it's unkind not to point out the error just in case it would make a difference to their decision. Who are we to judge what's an important part of the "better life" and what's not?

Some on here just enjoy that a little too much it seems.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that 'you get one life and it's for living '... However I'm in a situation where I don't have a lot to lose financially,we're on low wages etc and rent our home....but I have seen people I love be struck out of the blue with life limiting illnesses whom never stepped foot outside the place they were born for more than two weeks... And although I'm sure they have had lovely lives in so many ways I truly believe the world is so vast and amazing, it's there to be explored.... So Im in the 'if our bellys are full and a roof above our heads were doing ok' boat.... But in this boat isn't how everyone would want to float if you see what I mean..... Xx

Some people are naturally glass half empty types and it will be their natural personality trait to nit pick wherever they live.

If you aren't like that and have a more positive outlook on life you aren't going to worry about minor details at all.

So it is probably a good idea to think what you are like in the UK. If you are a nit picker / fault finder, you will be the same in Australia too.

This forum can be excellent for advice but also at times feels like the happiness wolves are just prowling waiting for someone to stumble and say the wrong thing. Heaven forbid if they say they think they might have a better life! Lol! ( even if they MIGHT!)

Could not agree more, if someone says they are looking for a better life they pounced all over like they've made a racist or sexist remark. Guess what? My life is BETTER, here, there is no comparison do I have to justify it, no but I do regularly. After 6 years I am still to physically meet one person who doesn't feel the same.

It's summer we're talking about! If you're in Queensland it will be dark in winter about 5pm and in summer by 7.30pm.

Of course even though it's dark, the weather can be mild or even hot, so there's nothing to stop you relaxing with a chardonnay out on the veranda, (though you'll need to cover up against the mosquitos and/or use insect repellent strategies if you don't have fly screens).

If you are talking about the need to cover up in QLD/have insect repellent strategies, we have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 13 years, and certainly don't have a problem sitting outside without fly screens at night. Really have a minimal problem with mosquitos,

dependant on the area, but no one here or in Brisbane that I know has fly screens apart from on the Windows and doors,which does make sense, to keep flies, snakes mozzies etc. out of the house.

ps. winter is a lovely time of year here, might get dark early, but days average 20+ clear blue skies and no humidity just perfect, just in case UK posters think it's anything like UK.

Nights can get chilly down to 8', houses tend not to be insulated, but some people have wood burning stoves, or reverse air con, Sounds odd but it's quite nice to feel cold for a change, and you dress accordingly.

We often laugh here on the coast, in winter we find 20' quite chilly and are in trousers plus a jacket, but the visitors are in bikinis. Definitely the ones from UK that is, stretched out on the beach loving the sun!!!

Edited by ramot

Could not agree more, if someone says they are looking for a better life they pounced all over like they've made a racist or sexist remark. Guess what? My life is BETTER, here, there is no comparison do I have to justify it, no but I do regularly. After 6 years I am still to physically meet one person who doesn't feel the same.

Who has actually said that on this thread though? A couple of misconceptions have been addressed to help the OP.

Anyway ,,lets get back on track please, this is about what made you move to Aus, lets try and keep it that way

It would be interesting to hear what made you decide :)

For us it was wanting an adventure, warmer, drier weather and a better area to bring up our children. We managed to tick all our boxes, and reduce our working hours ,so all in it was a good move for our family. We will celebrate being here 10 years in November and as yet have no major regrets.

Cal x

It's summer we're talking about! If you're in Queensland it will be dark in winter about 5pm and in summer by 7.30pm.

Of course even though it's dark, the weather can be mild or even hot, so there's nothing to stop you relaxing with a chardonnay out on the veranda, (though you'll need to cover up against the mosquitos and/or use insect repellent strategies if you don't have fly screens).

Strangely enough, I haven't used insect spray at all this year and I sit out every night. I back onto a railway line and someone suggested the lack of mozzies may be due to the preservative that they spray on the sleepers or the fact that the mangroves are only 1k away and helicopters spray there regularly ? It's anyone's guess but I just thank my lucky stars that I haven't got a problem since moving here

We'd never contemplated Australia. A few years ago we has Residency Visas for NZ all set up and activated but by the time we were ready to go and GFC had happened and, with good jobs back in the UK, we felt it was not a good time to go. A few years down the line we were coming to a point where we had to decide whether we'd re-apply for NZ or move in the UK. The main draw for me in NZ was to reduce commute time and better outdoor opportunities.

That was when my wife happened to be chatting to someone about Australia, exchanged some E-mails, had an interview and a couple of years later we were in Australia. It was one of those opportunities we couldn't turn down. All Visa and medical fees refunded and flights and a 40ft ISO container with all our worldly goods paid for. We had PR straight off and citizenship 90 days after arrival. With our child only 3 at the time it was a good time to move (or so we thought - we had underestimated how much a 3 year old would miss his friends and Kindy back home).

Australia has been good for us. We love Brisbane, my son has settled and has a good set of friends and my wife has a good job with the employer than sponsored us over. I have changed career direction completely and retrained over here.

The key thing I always say though is that we had no expectations of Australia. We knew the streets were not paved in gold and it had it's problems. The draw for us was that it was a new opportunity at very little risk to us. Both our parents were also living outside the UK and we'd been used to moving a lot too.

i wanted to enjoy being outside all year round. long walks on beautiful beaches or in the bush which are both close by. i love the reliable climate & the feeling of space & the friendly positive people. oz offers me & my family a lifestyle i could only dream of in the uk & where i live is better for bring up a family.

If you are talking about the need to cover up in QLD/have insect repellent strategies, we have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 13 years, and certainly don't have a problem sitting outside without fly screens at night. Really have a minimal problem with mosquitos,

dependant on the area, but no one here or in Brisbane that I know has fly screens apart from on the Windows and doors,which does make sense, to keep flies, snakes mozzies etc. out of the house.

ps. winter is a lovely time of year here, might get dark early, but days average 20+ clear blue skies and no humidity just perfect, just in case UK posters think it's anything like UK.

Nights can get chilly down to 8', houses tend not to be insulated, but some people have wood burning stoves, or reverse air con, Sounds odd but it's quite nice to feel cold for a change, and you dress accordingly.

We often laugh here on the coast, in winter we find 20' quite chilly and are in trousers plus a jacket, but the visitors are in bikinis. Definitely the ones from UK that is, stretched out on the beach loving the sun!!!

You're so right. I've spent a lot of time in Port Douglas over the last 3 years which is FNQ in the tropics. I've never seen a mosquito or a fly. While down here in Melbourne which has a more European climate we are plagued with the bastards.

. First of all, there are no "long bright days" in Australia. - but you don't get long summer twilights either..... Once the sun goes down it gets dark suddenly!

In the interests of factual accuracy and for the benefit of any potential migrants other than the OP - who is heading for Queensland - you do get long bright days in the southern parts of Australia.

Midsummer sunrise in Tasmania is 5.30 am, sunset 8.45 pm - and 1 hour of twilight before and after those times respectively. I can attest to this personally as the birds wake me up at the first sign of light at 4.30 am. :rolleyes:

If you are talking about the need to cover up in QLD/have insect repellent strategies, we have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 13 years, and certainly don't have a problem sitting outside without fly screens at night.

ps. winter is a lovely time of year here, might get dark early, but days average 20+ clear blue skies and no humidity just perfect

I seem to be a mozzie magnet wherever I go! I agree about the winter, although it does get dark early it's not gloomy all day like it can be in the UK. In fact it's my favourite time of year in Oz, mild with clear skies.

We'd never contemplated Australia. A few years ago we has Residency Visas for NZ all set up and activated but by the time we were ready to go and GFC had happened and, with good jobs back in the UK, we felt it was not a good time to go. A few years down the line we were coming to a point where we had to decide whether we'd re-apply for NZ or move in the UK. The main draw for me in NZ was to reduce commute time and better outdoor opportunities.

That was when my wife happened to be chatting to someone about Australia, exchanged some E-mails, had an interview and a couple of years later we were in Australia. It was one of those opportunities we couldn't turn down. All Visa and medical fees refunded and flights and a 40ft ISO container with all our worldly goods paid for. We had PR straight off and citizenship 90 days after arrival. With our child only 3 at the time it was a good time to move (or so we thought - we had underestimated how much a 3 year old would miss his friends and Kindy back home).

Australia has been good for us. We love Brisbane, my son has settled and has a good set of friends and my wife has a good job with the employer than sponsored us over. I have changed career direction completely and retrained over here.

The key thing I always say though is that we had no expectations of Australia. We knew the streets were not paved in gold and it had it's problems. The draw for us was that it was a new opportunity at very little risk to us. Both our parents were also living outside the UK and we'd been used to moving a lot too.

You sound very fortunate, it is the risk financially that concerns me. If money was not an issue I would go tomorrow as I know if it wasn't for us I could financially afford to come back and take the financially loss. What would you say the main difference are. Is it that you have a bigger home/pool that has improved your lifestyle, the time you spend outdoors because of the weather? The work ethic is this different?

Maria

To be perfectly honest I think people in general actually work more hours here but it certainly is more of an outdoor lifestyle and the weather is much more reliable and warm ( even Melbourne!) You can nearly always have a BBQ in the Summer without fear of rain. It is easy to get out of the cities and spend time in the glorious bush and the shops are good, too. So you have the best of both worlds in a way.

To be perfectly honest I think people in general actually work more hours here but it certainly is more of an outdoor lifestyle and the weather is much more reliable and warm ( even Melbourne!) You can nearly always have a BBQ in the Summer without fear of rain. It is easy to get out of the cities and spend time in the glorious bush and the shops are good, too. So you have the best of both worlds in a way.

Yes, I agree, people definitely work longer hours in Sydney and Melbourne, and for no overtime pay either! The standard working day in most offices is not 9 to 5, it's 8.30 to 5.30, and you'll be expected to arrive earlier and leave later.

My impressions (from visiting offices in other states) is that it's not like that in Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth - but perhaps people from there could confirm. And of course we only get 4 weeks' holiday a year and a limited number of sick days - but I think there are more public holidays?

Edited by Marisawright

Yes, I agree, people definitely work longer hours in Sydney and Melbourne, and for no overtime pay either! My impressions (from visiting offices in other states) is that it's not like that in Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth - but perhaps people from there could confirm. And of course we only get 4 weeks' holiday a year and a limited number of sick days - but I think there are more public holidays?

We were paid overtime in my workplace or you could take time off in lieu. I used to save that up and could take 10 days off at times. We often worked until 8 or 9 at night when very busy.

You sound very fortunate, it is the risk financially that concerns me. If money was not an issue I would go tomorrow as I know if it wasn't for us I could financially afford to come back and take the financially loss. What would you say the main difference are. Is it that you have a bigger home/pool that has improved your lifestyle, the time you spend outdoors because of the weather? The work ethic is this different?

I'd say it's very difficult to answer that question for Australia as a whole, because each state has its differences. If what you want is to be able to afford a bigger house with a pool, then do your research very carefully and check both job prospects and house prices - because in many parts of Australia, houses in desirable areas are very expensive. The house on the big block with a pool used to be the classic Australian house - now, Australians in some cities will never own anything close to that.

As for work ethic - there's an image of Australians as being more "laid back" but that doesn't mean they work any less. If you have to work long hours to live comfortably in the UK, the likelihood is you'll have to do the same in Australia. What's different is what you can do outside your working hours, and that can make it all worthwhile for some people.

Yes, I agree, people definitely work longer hours in Sydney and Melbourne, and for no overtime pay either! The standard working day in most offices is not 9 to 5, it's 8.30 to 5.30, and you'll be expected to arrive earlier and leave later.

My impressions (from visiting offices in other states) is that it's not like that in Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth - but perhaps people from there could confirm. And of course we only get 4 weeks' holiday a year and a limited number of sick days - but I think there are more public holidays?

I worked in industry in the 30 years that I worked out here. I always got paid overtime. I got 5 weeks holiday a year. I got unlimited sick leave...with provisions of course that it was not abused. And I got long service leave. And of course, if required to work on public holidays, we got overtime rates for doing so.