Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

I'm sorry you feel it like that but I say it as I see it. What is actually condescending, suggesting coming from a place rated lowly as far as UK cities go, to one rated rather highly on an International Scale would not note the difference ?No wish to appear big headed, I think there is not much of Perth I don't know. Nor the state of WA for that matter. More the reason I am down on the change in recent times with regards to the greed and a level of cost comparable to world cities.

It would appear that you do not know where some good reasonably priced value for money place are though flag!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any proof is needed on a parallel universe theory then this thread goes a long way to providing it!

I suspect this thread has got bogged down with the question is it expensive or not to eat out in Perth? To which the answer is obviously yes. In real life I know few that would disagree, though we all know places that serve better value.

As I mentioned I don't refer to a burger and chips or a pizza , not that I don't at times consume such things but hardly restaurant meals.

Perth as most would agree that I know, besides official comparisons confirming it so , to which I certainly can confirm. There is no reason for example Perth should be more expensive than Eastern States capitals.

OK I can quite easily find expensive places to eat in Brisbane

Five course meal at a City restaurant $110 each, plus wine to match each course $70 each. Eight course $145 plus wine at $95. I wonder if those survey people ate there?

Another City restaurant average dinner price $55 plus $11 for veges and $9 for chips.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but Mr & Mrs average would, excepting a special occasion, not eat at those prices, be it Perth or Brisbane. Anyhow I know if were to eat at those places I would be in a position in life so as to not mention how expensive it is to live in Brisbane

Five course meal at a City restaurant $110 each, plus wine to match each course $70 each. Eight course $145 plus wine at $95. I wonder if those survey people ate there?

Another City restaurant average dinner price $55 plus $11 for veges and $9 for chips.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but Mr & Mrs average would, excepting a special occasion, not eat at those prices, be it Perth or Brisbane. Anyhow I know if were to eat at those places I would be in a position in life so as to not mention how expensive it is to live in Brisbane

The point is that all our cities have a wide variety of choice, I hope (although I have never been to Perth)

Same in Sydney. You can pay a lot, or you can pay not very much at all. Personally I don't think Sydney does fine dining very well; eaten at Rockpool, Quay, Cafe Sydney and Jonah's and was underwhelmed by them all. Steak (twice each at Kingsley's and Meat & Wine Co, and none of them have managed to cook it properly yet) and seafood also very average. Perhaps that's why I find Rockpool a bit lame

On the other hand it does mid-range casual dining very well indeed, especially in small neighbourhood restaurants and cafes of which there are thousands, and hundreds of good ones. I'll never get to sample as many as I'd like. And there are some terrific ethnic options, a few Vietnamese standout places in Marrickville, some very good regional Chinese all over but a couple in Chatswood spring to mind (my son's best friend's family is HK Chinese so we get a good few top tips), and a bunch of very good Italians. Just love Verde in Darlinghurst

And loads of cheap fodder that's OK as well if that's your bag

It's not like the world's best ever culinary experience as far as cities go but it's really OK. A 7 out of 10

Thing is nowhere is cheap in Perth (outside of some special deals, mostly for lunch) Like I say a usual restaurant main will cost in excess of $30. Of course there is the odd place cheaper and certain far flung suburban establishments may well come in cheaper, but taken as an average, Perth food is expensive on the world stage and little room for argument there as the stats as well as experience speak for themselves.

Will be going to a new restaurant tonight actually in my area. I shall see if 'new kid's on the block' are becoming more realistic.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions Perth's excessive cost extends far beyond restaurants, which can be avoided. Hardly the most important attribute to a city's liveability ,although if prices were more in line with affordability more would be likely to benefit all concerned with livelier city and more on offer.

I find the variety and price of food generally better in Sydney, definitely spoiled for choice, even if mediocre would describe many establishments. Being a far bigger city, more panache, more street traffic, more ambiance appears to somewhat compensate for sometime pretty ordinary meals. I haven't been for a few years now so imagine the scene has changed further.

I do wonder though, with those extreme over valued house prices, just how many of that city's burghers, have the loose change to dine out with any regularity?

Flag, I presume you are smart enough to realise that businesses charge what they know the market will pay.

And businesses will serve all elements of the market from low end to high end.

Like cars too, you can buy a cheap run around or a super car.

So you might further expand your dishing out of wisdom, but explaining the high failure rate in the restaurant area?

Thing is nowhere is cheap in Perth (outside of some special deals, mostly for lunch) Like I say a usual restaurant main will cost in excess of $30. Of course there is the odd place cheaper and certain far flung suburban establishments may well come in cheaper, but taken as an average, Perth food is expensive on the world stage and little room for argument there as the stats as well as experience speak for themselves.

Will be going to a new restaurant tonight actually in my area. I shall see if 'new kid's on the block' are becoming more realistic.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions Perth's excessive cost extends far beyond restaurants, which can be avoided. Hardly the most important attribute to a city's liveability ,although if prices were more in line with affordability more would be likely to benefit all concerned with livelier city and more on offer.

How can you say "nowhere is cheap in Perth" when several posters whom live in Perth have experienced and said otherwise! And if its $30 plus meals your after then just about every place in Brisbane is expensive and that includes quite a few pubs too.

I would expect (though I am not going to bother any more) find other costs in livable Brisbane equal to or more than Perth's!

I find the variety and price of food generally better in Sydney, definitely spoiled for choice, even if mediocre would describe many establishments. Being a far bigger city, more panache, more street traffic, more ambiance appears to somewhat compensate for sometime pretty ordinary meals. I haven't been for a few years now so imagine the scene has changed further.

I do wonder though, with those extreme over valued house prices, just how many of that city's burghers, have the loose change to dine out with any regularity?

I suppose a look through the windows would give you that answer! of course you will not be able to look through the windows of the multitude of boarded-up establishments though.

High house prices only affect those who have had to buy in to the local housing market in the boom, or those who have upgraded in the same time period. Which is only a fraction of the population.

People who bought their house 10+ years ago, and/or who have moved to one of similar value during that period, and/or those who have downsized, and/or those who are long term renting, are unaffected in terms of spare cash. It's only those who have taken on a mortgage that is a stretch, or who are saving hard to do so, who are affected

High house prices only affect those who have had to buy in to the local housing market in the boom, or those who have upgraded in the same time period. Which is only a fraction of the population.

People who bought their house 10+ years ago, and/or who have moved to one of similar value during that period, and/or those who have downsized, and/or those who are long term renting, are unaffected in terms of spare cash. It's only those who have taken on a mortgage that is a stretch, or who are saving hard to do so, who are affected

Quite so. Good point. Not forgetting the Sydney eating experience usually out does Perth, in terms of value and panache.

Ok, the thread's about Perth but seems to have diversified into an "eating out" thread generally, so just a recommendation from myself.

I rarely eat out as I'm an arrogant b@stard who thinks that nobody can cook as well as me, but.................I got blown out on my Lamington trip, so much so that even my stove at the camp at Binna Burra wouldn't stay upright, so I decided on a last night treat (grudgingly) by way of dining at the lodge there. 3 courses for $38 with a 15% discount if you booked your meals when you booked the site online. I feared the worst as it was buffet and communal dining, although you could reserve a table

First course was tomato soup with sherry served by a waiter. The other two courses were buffet where you got your own veg/salad but meat was dished out by the chef. The veg, 6 choices, was cooked to perfection, not "woody" and not soft and all you can eat. The cauliflower mornay was to die for. The meat on offer was osso bucco in red wine, pork, beef, and chicken, and 2 others that I forget. You could choose all of them if you wanted and I noticed that the server was very pleasant (from Cheltenham) and made a point of asking if she'd put enough on your plate as she served. I asked for 2 slices of pork and osso bucco in red wine gravy of which she gave me a huge serve, (without me asking) even for me. It was very tender and near everyone commented how nice it was. Desert consisted of 6 choices of which I chose apple crumble with ice cream. Coffee after was help yourself. All of this dining whilst looking out over the rainforest canopy sunset. I guess that by cutting down on waiting staff, they could give you more value for your money and even though there was no waiting staff, the kitchen staff cleared your table promptly. A good business model i guess.

Absolutely excellent and if you live on the Goldie, worth the drive up at evening just for the meal. I think it's the first time since coming to Oz that I thought, "that was value for money"................but then again, I'm a grumpy tight-@rse anyway.

Like I say a usual restaurant main will cost in excess of $30.

WOW .. $30 .. that's so insanely priced, I'm not surprised it's only the 1%ers that can afford to eat.

An example. Nice steaks, but most meals are actually under $30.

http://bwgsteakhouse.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BWG-Dinner-Menu-October-2015-Final1.pdf

(okay, they may be $29, but that's still not 'in excess of $30')

And I'd say that you are mainly paying for the view at Bluewater.

Or if you are doing the touristy thing at Cottesloe?

http://indiana.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Indiana-A-La-Carte-Menu-NOVEMBER-2015.pdf

Again, there is a lot on offer for under $30. And again, you are mainly paying for the location.

When a Red Rooster will set you back $15 .. I don't really see the issue.

Edited by Bibbs

WOW .. $30 .. that's so insanely priced, I'm not surprised it's only the 1%ers that can afford to eat.

An example. Nice steaks, but most meals are actually under $30.

http://bwgsteakhouse.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BWG-Dinner-Menu-October-2015-Final1.pdf

(okay, they may be $29, but that's still not 'in excess of $30')

And I'd say that you are mainly paying for the view at Bluewater.

Or if you are doing the touristy thing at Cottesloe?

http://indiana.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Indiana-A-La-Carte-Menu-NOVEMBER-2015.pdf

Again, there is a lot on offer for under $30. And again, you are mainly paying for the location.

Indiana ben there loads of times. Not especially cheap. They have cut back on hours due to lack of interest. A new menu to keep afloat. May give it another try, used to do breakfast there.

Yep I know a few establishments that do $15 steaks. Hit and miss. Tend to be cheap cuts and at times too much grizzle. Still some steak and chips (salad) deals not bad, as has been acknowledged. Doesn't altar the fact in my book, that in general Perth dining is poor value.

Price of electrical goods, groceries, energy, insurance, medical, schools, holidays, petrol, cars, rent etc are things that are probably more relevant. I doubt they differ much with the east coast. Many may be cheaper than the UK.

But the question I believe is wages. They may not decrease, but the extras like overtime etc may get cut. Over the past few years many said they left UK jobs for double the wages. Is this still the case?

So all the doom and gloom of establishments closing and there you have a new one opening!

Ok, the thread's about Perth but seems to have diversified into an "eating out" thread generally, so just a recommendation from myself.

I rarely eat out as I'm an arrogant b@stard who thinks that nobody can cook as well as me, but.................I got blown out on my Lamington trip, so much so that even my stove at the camp at Binna Burra wouldn't stay upright, so I decided on a last night treat (grudgingly) by way of dining at the lodge there. 3 courses for $38 with a 15% discount if you booked your meals when you booked the site online. I feared the worst as it was buffet and communal dining, although you could reserve a table

First course was tomato soup with sherry served by a waiter. The other two courses were buffet where you got your own veg/salad but meat was dished out by the chef. The veg, 6 choices, was cooked to perfection, not "woody" and not soft and all you can eat. The cauliflower mornay was to die for. The meat on offer was osso bucco in red wine, pork, beef, and chicken, and 2 others that I forget. You could choose all of them if you wanted and I noticed that the server was very pleasant (from Cheltenham) and made a point of asking if she'd put enough on your plate as she served. I asked for 2 slices of pork and osso bucco in red wine gravy of which she gave me a huge serve, (without me asking) even for me. It was very tender and near everyone commented how nice it was. Desert consisted of 6 choices of which I chose apple crumble with ice cream. Coffee after was help yourself. All of this dining whilst looking out over the rainforest canopy sunset. I guess that by cutting down on waiting staff, they could give you more value for your money and even though there was no waiting staff, the kitchen staff cleared your table promptly. A good business model i guess.

Absolutely excellent and if you live on the Goldie, worth the drive up at evening just for the meal. I think it's the first time since coming to Oz that I thought, "that was value for money"................but then again, I'm a grumpy tight-@rse anyway.

Hi Kev, flag started this thread and in his first post mentioned the cost of meals and even with that he states meals at $29, and then carries on like a pork chop about meals over $30. He also mentions that beer is not in fact the dearest (6th) and also that coffee is not the dearest in the region either (not sure what the region is?).

But as you say value for money is what most folk go for, however if someone believes they get value for money from a $30 plus meal then that is fine too, but there is no need to hark on about the cost of such meals as being the norm and then also not believe a word other people, and there has been a few, post about their value for money meals and even run them down as being lunch time specials.

I'll tell you what, if ever I feel depressed I will just read some of flags posts and realize I am not really that badly off

I'll tell you what, if ever I feel depressed I will just read some of flags posts and realize I am not really that badly off

I'm with you on that one for sure

I don't normally look at the prices when out for a meal

They set the prices and if they're busy well it must be worth it

I like to buy what I fancy and as long as I enjoy it I'm happy

So all the doom and gloom of establishments closing and there you have a new one opening!

Your being just a mite silly now attempting to make mileage from the opening of a new restaurant. If you know anything about business, you would have been aware restaurants open and close with great frequency.

The one frequenting tonight is doing very well. But needs to over heads are high. Especially so in this area.