Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

Flag, I know you like figures and statistics, could you have a look through this post and come up with some figures for the numbers of the folk whom say they have no problem with finding meals at decent prices against those whom say they can't? and once you have collated such figures can you advise if you accept them as being reasonable or have been manipulated to suit an agenda?

Anyway you are in QLD, so clueless on the matter from a ground level, although I accept you are supporting your fellow Yorkshire born poster, whom angers with ease at what she regards as the simplest viewed slight against Perth . Which in itself is highly amusing. The other poster as own issues and best left at that. As you may have noted if we were talking of dinning out experiences here in Perth, it is not only cost alone, but the entire experience. Of course fairer priced cuisine would go towards arresting comments of a further negative nature.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the numbers are bored of trying to argue with you about it, and are just getting on with other things.

But it's almost 3PM, so time I went and got and $8 beer, followed by a $2 train ride home.

Those being the official results. No arguing because there is no argument to be made. Perth in nearly most everything is over priced. Are you on a pension? Only two sections charge $2. Not one of the popular inner city pubs then, I imagine for $8. Unless Happy Hour.

Beats me why so many in denial.

Anyway you are in QLD, so clueless on the matter from a ground level, although I accept you are supporting your fellow Yorkshire born poster, whom angers with ease at what she regards as the simplest viewed slight against Perth . Which in itself is highly amusing. The other poster as own issues and best left at that. As you may have noted if we were talking of dinning out experiences here in Perth, it is not only cost alone, but the entire experience. Of course fairer priced cuisine would go towards arresting comments of a further negative nature.

Flag I am not exactly clueless, I am picking up a lot of information on the subject from this thread, I also googled up in the Perth area one place to eat which provided a decent priced meal and I posted that menu. Now you may call me a sheep ( I am not a Yorkshire farmer by the way) but I am tending to side on the majority of posters about this, but then I would also have sided with them if they were tending to agree with you too.

I am in complete ignorance as to where any of the posters originate, so cannot understand how I can be supporting or even shown support for that matter, any particular poster. Could it be that you feel you are losing and feel you have to stoop a little low? surprising if so as it is not your style really is it?

V decent but cheapish. Its not that hard to find

I'm a foodie from way back, which is why I take the issue of eating out somewhat seriously. Good quality and value is very hard to find in Perth and WA in general. I eat out a lot though far less than in the past due to poor value. I have on record some seven eight restaurants dined in within WA since 1999. That is far from all, but just the ones I have recorded on quality, presentation, price, service ambiance and overall impression .Some no longer exist. In fact many from earlier times have folded. It is hard work and hard to make a living. I write restaurant reviews and have done for many years.

There is a sameness in much of the offerings. Not enough daring. Perhaps Perth is too conservative to be too daring. Rents charged for the premises are incredibly high here to turn a profit. Hence limits individual desires to offer more diversity. Stay with the tried and tested.

Prices are often reflected on the high rents and poor patronage in many establishments during the week. Others pure greed.

Perth is not a foodies city, although redeemably well catered in the number of eating houses. Melbourne ranks head and shoulders above Perth. And cheaper. It could be a bigger population with more tending to go out more frequently during the week.

Anyway there is more than food in regards to Perth's high prices.

Albion hotel

Have been to the Albion once and also the comedy club opposite a couple of times. Google maps says the Albion is a "Laid back pub with smart Bistro inside" true or not?

Pubs are a rip off so generally do not go to them just for a quick drink. Cost me more for a glass of coke than it did for a schooner of beer and in more than one pub too!

Anyhow enjoy your drink and don't let me put you off:smile:

Flag I am not exactly clueless, I am picking up a lot of information on the subject from this thread, I also googled up in the Perth area one place to eat which provided a decent priced meal and I posted that menu. Now you may call me a sheep ( I am not a Yorkshire farmer by the way) but I am tending to side on the majority of posters about this, but then I would also have sided with them if they were tending to agree with you too.

I am in complete ignorance as to where any of the posters originate, so cannot understand how I can be supporting or even shown support for that matter, any particular poster. Could it be that you feel you are losing and feel you have to stoop a little low? surprising if so as it is not your style really is it?

How can I possibly be losing on the fact that prices in Perth are too high. Perth restaurants are as a rule charging too much. Prices may be turning around in certain establishments but not enough yet to really make a difference.

I have acknowledged there are lunch specials but dinning out at night, to which we have done twice in the past ten nights remains a costly experience.

You would really need to be here on the ground to comment any further to be taken with any degree of seriousness. I would not think to comment on Brisbane food prices, although I would on the city overall.

Well aware you would have sided with the alternative brigade on here, regardless of belief, which further diminishes any argument on your part.

I have to agree that there are no bargains to be had in Perth if you want evening 'fine dining' apart from with the Entertainment Book. Eating out at night (on a night of your choice) ie no 'specials' can be a pricey experience. Asian or Italian is always cheaper (and nicer) than 'modern Australian' I find.

But is Perth a nice place or not

So many on here seem to love it

But It don't sounds like it if you listen to Flag

So why would you live in a place you pull to pieces all the time?

I'm confused.com

I'm looking forward to seeing Perth at some time and I guess I'll be able to judge for myself

Perth is a fantastic place to live. Stating facts isn't pulling a place apart. Just acknowledgement of the way it is for some.

I still haven't experienced a schooner. Is it bigger than a middie? we only had pints, middies and handles. I buy wine here because last time I asked how much vodka was it was more expensive and wine has more of a effect on me.. Typical backpacker :laugh:

A NSW schooner is the metric equivalent of 3/4 of a pint I think.

It's what you get served with if you don't specify otherwise. We have middies here which are half a pint, some pubs (mostly in the centre) serve pints if you ask

Its a boring place and I don't know why they don't do a bit more in the evenings, they can't all be down the beach.

Perth has lots going on in the evenings....been to lots of concerts, bands, singers, comedians etc.

but you know what, getting home from work, heading down to the beach with a picnic or a takeaway and just sitting watching the sunset, listening to the waves is priceless:jiggy:and something I couldn't do in the UK, so will make the most of it while here

I agree. Blows me away. Love it here. 7 years next week for us

Happy Aus anniversary:notworthy:

makes you wonder though about the gloom and doom posters:swoon: do they ever actually go out and about, or is better just to sit listing all the bad stuff, which may or may not even happen.

live your life today, you might be dead tomorrow

Perth has lots going on in the evenings....been to lots of concerts, bands, singers, comedians etc.

but you know what, getting home from work, heading down to the beach with a picnic or a takeaway and just sitting watching the sunset, listening to the waves is priceless:jiggy:and something I couldn't do in the UK, so will make the most of it while here

Obviously there are things you couldn't do in the UK . The thread is not about the boredom or not of Perth but the cost here. All things mentioned in above post are possible but hardly Perth unique.

Obviously there are things you couldn't do in the UK . The thread is not about the boredom or not of Perth but the cost here. All things mentioned in above post are possible but hardly Perth unique.

But the best things in life are free Flag. I firmly believe that and in Perth....only limit is your imagination and energy levels. It's a good place to live on a budget