Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

Although the construction boom is all but over, it has left Perth one of the priciest cities on the planet.

Figures compiled by Numbeo website - which collates direct prices of goods from bananas to cars from more than 500 major cities, show that despite the slowing economy, Perth customers are paying mining boom prices for many goods but without boom time wages.

Across a board of goods Perth remains the most expensive city in Australia and New Zealand. It ranks alongside Tokyo, New York and Paris in overall prices.

Of 518 major cities, Perth is the 6 th most expensive in the world for a domestic beer. One of the priciest in the world for a cup of cappuccino (second in the region)

An inexpensive meal at average price of $25 is $9 higher than Sydney. 21st most expensive globally.

Luckily we have the cheapest lettuce and tomatoes in Australia then. Oh, and though house prices remain very high, rents are deflating. A small ray of hope perhaps?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem for Australia will be workforce sitting on labour costs far above other nations. Thus reducing its competitiveness in addition to its existing poor efficiency ratings.

These property prices have been established on years of a luck driven economy

What happens when its no longer luck and hard work is required? What happens when major companies start restructuring their knowledge capital to ensure IP remains in lower tax base countries?

Forget the peaks and troughs of booming and bust markets, what about long term ?

On the plus side for Brisbanites:

You would need around 6,605.98A$ in Perth to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,200.00A$ in Brisbane (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax).

[TABLE=class: table_indices_diff]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices in Perth are 12.05% higher than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices Including Rent in Perth are 6.55% higher than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Rent Prices in Perth are 4.04% lower than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Restaurant Prices in Perth are 23.41% higher than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Groceries Prices in Perth are 13.49% higher than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Local Purchasing Power in Perth is 4.93% lower than in Brisbane[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Should holiday over here Flag :tongue:

Do you know these figures haven't been manipulated flag? :wink:

Well witnessed the difference in pricing myself. Perth is very expensive in most everything. Utility bills over here have risen incredibly over five years. Water. Electricity. I'd say close to doubling. Eating out in a rather mundane establishment. Buying a beer. Hardly the chilled out place some seem to claim. Although I guess the cashed up Bogans take it as a badge of honour to pay through the nose for close on everything.

These are quite scary differences. Now that the mining boom in WA is over or coming to an end, will that mean the prices for groceries etc will come down?

I had lunch in a nice cafe today with a couple of friends. Fish, chips and salad followed by sticky date pudding and a bit of icecream then coffee for $15 each. Not bad we thought. Fresh fish and homemade pudding. I'm in Tasmania though, not Perth.

Edited by JockinTas

I keep hearing that Perth is so expensive but I have went back and forward between Perth and Melbourne and apart from rent and buying a house, I dont see much difference. Actually, Private Health Insurance is cheaper, my premium went down aboiut $100 a month just because I moved state, still the same policy and provider. Car insurance and house insurance both cheaper in Perth as well

Problem for Australia will be workforce sitting on labour costs far above other nations. Thus reducing its competitiveness in addition to its existing poor efficiency ratings.

These property prices have been established on years of a luck driven economy

What happens when its no longer luck and hard work is required? What happens when major companies start restructuring their knowledge capital to ensure IP remains in lower tax base countries?

Forget the peaks and troughs of booming and bust markets, what about long term ?

Well wages are stagnant in many areas and the movement appears downwards. Some 40% of home trained nurses failed to get positions in WA after graduating last year. Seems the powers that be prefers to import . I know of seven, yes seven, psychologists that were given their marching orders three weeks ago by a new top dog, just recruited of the street. All appears within the legal framework, even though others were employed under different conditions, more favourable to the agency concerned. (at least with costs, if not wellbeing)

WA has the tendency of being a boom/bust state and short termism is something of an Australian perfection. Enjoy what's here today, as probably gone or changed in some format tomorrow.

I keep hearing that Perth is so expensive but I have went back and forward between Perth and Melbourne and apart from rent and buying a house, I dont see much difference. Actually, Private Health Insurance is cheaper, my premium went down aboiut $100 a month just because I moved state, still the same policy and provider. Car insurance and house insurance both cheaper in Perth as well

Eating out is cheaper in Melbourne. Coffee is supposed to be considerably better and cheaper. I payed less for self catering, walking distance to city, than I'd pay in Perth unless a Back Packers. Did you actually circulate in Perth? Pubs? Breakfast outside? etc.

These are quite scary differences. Now that the mining boom in WA is over or coming to an end, will that mean the prices for groceries etc will come down?

I had lunch in a nice cafe today with a couple of friends. Fish, chips and salad followed by sticky date pudding and a bit of icecream then coffee for $15 each. Not bad we thought. Fresh fish and homemade pudding. I'm in Tasmania though, not Perth.

To be fair you could get the same if in possession of a Seniors Card at Fremantle Boat Harbour. I've seen advertised in the most famous Fish and Chip shack down there, exactly what you describe.

To be fair you could get the same if in possession of a Seniors Card at Fremantle Boat Harbour. I've seen advertised in the most famous Fish and Chip shack down there, exactly what you describe.

$15 was the going price not just for Seniors Card possessors. That is a very reasonable price I would have thought. Sure it wasn't fine dining but the food was very good - and I'm fussy :cool:

Well witnessed the difference in pricing myself. Perth is very expensive in most everything. Utility bills over here have risen incredibly over five years. Water. Electricity. I'd say close to doubling. Eating out in a rather mundane establishment. Buying a beer. Hardly the chilled out place some seem to claim. Although I guess the cashed up Bogans take it as a badge of honour to pay through the nose for close on everything.

Flag one moment you are saying there is no work rising unemployment folk cannot afford things, the next you are saying there are cashed-up bogans paying through the nose for everything, of which there must be many so keeping the prices of everything high.

$15 was the going price not just for Seniors Card possessors. That is a very reasonable price I would have thought. Sure it wasn't fine dining but the food was very good - and I'm fussy :cool:

That goes somewhat to explain the difference between the states. Saving a good $10 probably more, a considerable sum for those on a pension.

Not sure how you figure that, as it has been evident for a few years, the party was going to end poorly for many. Still awhile to run though so still time to bunker down and learn survival bush skills.

Flag, I am sure you will know the answer to the following question......................... In Perth was a sense of humour one of the first things to go in the so called 'bust'? :wink:

Flag one moment you are saying there is no work rising unemployment folk cannot afford things, the next you are saying there are cashed-up bogans paying through the nose for everything, of which there must be many so keeping the prices of everything high.

Well I don't think every cashed up Bogan comes unstuck the same day. Still plenty of tradies making big bucks for now. Although thousands have lost their jobs up north, it takes time to unwind. The number of apartments on the market probably an indication.

Prices will not deflate without considerable pressure to do so.

Of course - and the tourists who had just got off the ferry were enjoying their lunch there too. Got to keep the tourists happy.

Very true. Last time there, about three weeks ago, I'd say a good quarter (probably more)of the lunch time dinners were Mainland Chinese. Some in groups, others not. It got me thinking that there must be a deal between the Chinese tour operator and establishment to bring tourists to eat there.

Well I don't think every cashed up Bogan comes unstuck the same day. Still plenty of tradies making big bucks for now. Although thousands have lost their jobs up north, it takes time to unwind. The number of apartments on the market probably an indication.

Prices will not deflate without considerable pressure to do so.

So you class every tradie who makes more than you a bogan?