Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is what it is....what can you do about it? Choose your venues carefully is all. You can choose to be ripped off or choose to hunt out the good value venues.

Why do people keep going back to venues that aren't good value?

So many decent places that serve good food without the price tag, if your complaining then time to go a bit further, look around the corner, if your not drinking hop in the car, find somewhere new.

So many decent places that serve good food without the price tag, if your complaining then time to go a bit further, look around the corner, if your not drinking hop in the car, find somewhere new.

Im not complaining! I would if I was expecting a decent feed and it was mediocre though. Shouldn't accept second rate crap whatever the price

No but I know a man that can:wink:

I'd like to shake his hand. This goes beyond what ' Í payed such and such for a breakfast' scenario. Breakfast prices remain outrageous in inner city localities. I could find cheaper in other capital cities. I would not need to go to some further out burb to skewer the picture.

Cheapest I know inner city would be $15 for eggs (however) bacon on bread and a coffee. That is 'reasonable' perhaps but expensive compared to a Full Monty in London. Some may trawl the burbs looking for cheap offerings to take foreign visitors but I stand firmly to my original over priced claims.

I went to 'My Kitchen' less than $2 for any cereal plus tea or coffee (as hot as I want it:wink:). ok it's not a BYO more of a DIY establishment, the co-owner helps make the place nice though.

Would you really bother though? At least the cereal was 'cheap' compared to that rip off café in the East End of London. Some obviously take 'pride' in paying over the top. Perhaps they feels it inflates their status somehow?

I took Stacey for breakast, I had a normal brekkie of the menu board, it was huge, kept me going til 9pm that night.

cost was $18 and that included a coffee .

can we really complain about those prices??

your breakfast was huge!! But you didn't have a can of irn bru.. Tut tut

Because in general eating out in Perth is at best a mediocre experience with a hefty price tag. There are a few worthy mentionable places with merit but few and far between.

There are not many what I would call decent places without a price tag to match, but then our standards obviously differ greatly.

Anyway the thread has for some reason got bogged down over the outrageous cost of dinning out in Perth. Although some tend to disagree. As is their entitlement of course. Moving on from the personal insults, some folk just cannot hear negatives with regards to Perth, always has been the case, but the numbers have dwindled over time as economic conditions have turned.

Now paying high prices in times of wage stagnation or decline, or loss of job, doesn't sound so flash to ever more people.

It still hasn't been explained just why a coffee in Perth, should cost more than in Sydney or Melbourne. There is no logic reason. Purely a WA mark up on Boom time conditions. Boom is over time to rectify. Rents are in decline. House prices have a considerable way to go, but so does food we buy in supermarkets and the like.

There is no valid reason Perth should be in first world city tier price range. Yet folk on here prefer to discuss a 'cheap' breakfast than looking at a bigger picture observing something needs to change.

Decent or cheapish? A big difference.

Flag, I know you like figures and statistics, could you have a look through this post and come up with some figures for the numbers of the folk whom say they have no problem with finding meals at decent prices against those whom say they can't? and once you have collated such figures can you advise if you accept them as being reasonable or have been manipulated to suit an agenda?

Why do you live in Perth flag? You don't seem to like it very much

Some tend to look at the overall picture and are not tourists here. Hence some get more than a little angry, at some of the things that avail themselves here and accepted as 'normal' practise, when it is usually anything but.

You have been down the likes before, long ago, to which was responded to at the time.

Anyway the thread has for some reason got bogged down over the outrageous cost of dinning out in Perth. Although some tend to disagree. As is their entitlement of course. Moving on from the personal insults, some folk just cannot hear negatives with regards to Perth, always has been the case, but the numbers have dwindled over time as economic conditions have turned.

Now paying high prices in times of wage stagnation or decline, or loss of job, doesn't sound so flash to ever more people.

It still hasn't been explained just why a coffee in Perth, should cost more than in Sydney or Melbourne. There is no logic reason. Purely a WA mark up on Boom time conditions. Boom is over time to rectify. Rents are in decline. House prices have a considerable way to go, but so does food we buy in supermarkets and the like.

There is no valid reason Perth should be in first world city tier price range. Yet folk on here prefer to discuss a 'cheap' breakfast than looking at a bigger picture observing something needs to change.

I believe it is you that has got it bogged down on outrageous costs, others of got bogged down in there not being outrageous costs, and that flag would appear to be the majority of folk and not just some!

Flag, I know you like figures and statistics, could you have a look through this post and come up with some figures for the numbers of the folk whom say they have no problem with finding meals at decent prices against those whom say they can't? and once you have collated such figures can you advise if you accept them as being reasonable or have been manipulated to suit an agenda?

Well barely a soul I know which say Perth prices to eat out are acceptable. Of course we all do it but are aware and conscious of the fact . Folk on this forum can be a rather 'unique' mob shall I so and likely have different conclusions on the matter to which I prefer not to discuss.

Fact is Perth remains over priced in more than just eating out . It is, especially for what it is a very expensive city, in a rather expensive country. I know no one that would disagree with that. Just some have a greater capacity to be able to cope with the inequality than others.

I must say I enjoy it immensely when the target becomes me and not the issue at hand , Perth's high prices.

I believe it is you that has got it bogged down on outrageous costs, others of got bogged down in there not being outrageous costs, and that flag would appear to be the majority of folk and not just some!

No eating out is but a single item. Perth by world standards is rated as expensive. I didn't make that up but do vouch for it. Yorkshire United or what?

So what do you spend on a meal out in Perth? Here an averagely good meal would be around $40 per head in the evening. That is not flash, just averagely pleasant A glass of wine near us is $7.50 but further in it is $9. A bottle would be $40 if you get it in the restaurant, $20 or less if you BYO. All these are nice but not really good wines.

Well barely a soul I know which say Perth prices to eat out are acceptable. Of course we all do it but are aware and conscious of the fact . Folk on this forum can be a rather 'unique' mob shall I so and likely have different conclusions on the matter to which I prefer not to discuss.

Fact is Perth remains over priced in more than just eating out . It is, especially for what it is a very expensive city, in a rather expensive country. I know no one that would disagree with that. Just some have a greater capacity to be able to cope with the inequality than others.

I must say I enjoy it immensely when the target becomes me and not the issue at hand , Perth's high prices.

Flag, you appear to be alone on this thread regarding costs, and as such, folk directing an alternative to your view and your continued insistence on not accepting others view points,I suppose could be taken as a personal attack. They are, by the way not. I must admit I admire the way you stick by your views and it provides some light hearted fun! for me anyhow

Have you come up with some figures yet?

Moving on from the personal insults, some folk just cannot hear negatives with regards to Perth, always has been the case, but the numbers have dwindled over time as economic conditions have turned.

I'd say the numbers are bored of trying to argue with you about it, and are just getting on with other things.

But it's almost 3PM, so time I went and got and $8 beer, followed by a $2 train ride home.

Edited by Bibbs

I guess it's only really expensive if the restaurants are half empty. Are they? Are any starting to close?

Restaurants did used to take the piss, some still try it on, some will obviously still cater for the more money than sense brigade.

Local to me, all prices are dropping.