Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Trolleybus
Afraid Old Chum, it goes right over my head. Yours as well apparently.

I knew you wouldn't get it, but then you don't get most things.

Good attempt at not being condescending. It satisfies me yes, if that's what you meant. I think when you feel you've 'done everything' you haven't really 'done anything at all'

I'm sorry you feel it like that but I say it as I see it. What is actually condescending, suggesting coming from a place rated lowly as far as UK cities go, to one rated rather highly on an International Scale would not note the difference ?No wish to appear big headed, I think there is not much of Perth I don't know. Nor the state of WA for that matter. More the reason I am down on the change in recent times with regards to the greed and a level of cost comparable to world cities.

Guest Trolleybus
Alternatively I get a little too much and you don't get of on the starters gun. You of course would find it 'difficult' to articulate just what it is you get?

There's a book that contains maps, it's called an atlas. Use the index and look for the map of Australia. The rest should be obvious,

Agreed. I thought I'd done everything, or at least the best of what I could afford at the time. I used to think there was nothing to beat climbing to the stone axe factory in the Langdales and pondering about who had trod before and what they'd killed with those axes, arrowheads etc. Even found some arrowheads once which are now in some museum somewhere. Likewise the Scottish Highlands and the lowlands...........how could you possibly take all that in? Thousands of yrs of history to be absorbed in your mere lifetime?

Walking the Rainforest the other week and reading about the earlier inhabitants and searching out the things that they ate, was just as enlightening and pleasurable as my trips in the highlands of the UK.................and I realise............there is still so much to do, see, and learn within 100 kilometres of my home. Anyone who says they've seen it all, (anywhere) has their eyes half closed in my opinion..........fauna, flora, geography, history...........so much to absorb that it would take more than a lifetime.

While I agree it wouldn't be possible to take in all the Scottish Highlands or Lowlands or the Kimberley Region of WA, nor London or Paris, a daily moving feast, Perth as much as I adore living here, most of the time, is rather difficult to say that about. Of course the sea has its different moods, and houses refurbish and a new store or café pops up and one can deviate to new hobbies or take a closer interest in the flora and fauna, but my argument remains the same.

I have over the course of a number of years taken tourists around all the sites of Perth. I am yet to learn on a site as this something I have not yet covered. Well not quite, as Yanchep, a place I haven't been for a very long time, stoked my curiosity to revisit again this coming week from what I have read on here.

All are welcome to their opinions on the matter and those that find constant 'new distractions' more power to them.

Doesn't mean in the least there is anything wrong with the tried and tested places. Just certain limitations endure.

By the way, a Scarborough Beach foray had to be cancelled this morning. Not a car parking place for love or money. Not unusual for time of year and had the same both in Trigg and Cottesloe beaches over recent weeks.

There's a book that contains maps, it's called an atlas. Use the index and look for the map of Australia. The rest should be obvious,

Tat. tat. You are in a confused state. An atlas. Australia? Well I never. I said I pretty much know Perth not all of Australia.Now what does that have to do with Perth? Newly arrived and still finding your land legs are you?

I haven't the time to spare to see it all tbh. Working leaves little time, I've still got a long, long list of new things plus return visits to do before I've seen the half of it

Well some certainly takes time to see if you include all WA, let alone Australia. Although there's a lot of dirt in between. Not quite sure on the other hand just how long it takes to see the areas worth seeing in Perth though? I admit I have lived in the state a long time but still wonder when it comes to the Metro area.

Well some certainly takes time to see if you include all WA, let alone Australia. Although there's a lot of dirt in between. Not quite sure on the other hand just how long it takes to see the areas worth seeing in Perth though? I admit I have lived in the state a long time but still wonder when it comes to the Metro area.

Your 'worth seeing' will differ from mine no doubt and mine will differ from the next persons. The metro area is fairly vast and we tend to pick North, South, East or West when getting out and about. When I talk about diversity I tend to mean the difference between a coastal spot or a hills spot, a town like York and a town like Subiaco, a place like Seabird or a place like Rockingham...the difference between a day out in Mandurah or one in Northam.....it's not all 'samey' as some would think from limited exploration.

Of course, once done, you need to go further and further afield but just spots like Kings Park or Yanchep for example, on return visits we usually find areas we've not walked/seen. There's a million little 'spots', hidden riverside gems, local only areas. We do get our kicks from just going for a drive and a wander, a coffee/cake, take some photos, maybe a picnic. I realise that may not be enough to fulfil many people but for me (us) that's why I assert Perth is a good value place for us to live in view of what we like to do.

Holidays, after 7 years only touched on areas outside the South West, need many more trips to fully explore regions.

Guest Trolleybus
Tat. tat. You are in a confused state. An atlas. Australia? Well I never. I said I pretty much know Perth not all of Australia.Now what does that have to do with Perth? Newly arrived and still finding your land legs are you?

Keep tryimg, you'll get there. Most newcomers like yourself do eventually

Tbh, people seem to have learned to live frugally everywhere after the GFC. It's a bit like after the war. We often go out and avoid the cafes and spend nothing. Or we will limit our spending. There is a lot of fun free stuff to do in Perth, as there is everywhere.

This thread seems to be more concerned with fixed costs, and how people will cope with them assuming wages will fall. It is much easier for those without children to avoid fixed costs. Sometimes you just have to stick your hands in your pockets when you have kids.

Tbh, people seem to have learned to live frugally everywhere after the GFC. It's a bit like after the war. We often go out and avoid the cafes and spend nothing. Or we will limit our spending. There is a lot of fun free stuff to do in Perth, as there is everywhere.

This thread seems to be more concerned with fixed costs, and how people will cope with them assuming wages will fall. It is much easier for those without children to avoid fixed costs. Sometimes you just have to stick your hands in your pockets when you have kids.

Those on fixed incomes tend to hurt more. Not all are in a position like some in trades for example, to avoid taxation through various means, over charge the person hiring by adding on or claiming extra material required, to boost up final costs.

Now they (govt) have reduced what lower paid in the community sector can claim tax free.

Your 'worth seeing' will differ from mine no doubt and mine will differ from the next persons. The metro area is fairly vast and we tend to pick North, South, East or West when getting out and about. When I talk about diversity I tend to mean the difference between a coastal spot or a hills spot, a town like York and a town like Subiaco, a place like Seabird or a place like Rockingham...the difference between a day out in Mandurah or one in Northam.....it's not all 'samey' as some would think from limited exploration.

Of course, once done, you need to go further and further afield but just spots like Kings Park or Yanchep for example, on return visits we usually find areas we've not walked/seen. There's a million little 'spots', hidden riverside gems, local only areas. We do get our kicks from just going for a drive and a wander, a coffee/cake, take some photos, maybe a picnic. I realise that may not be enough to fulfil many people but for me (us) that's why I assert Perth is a good value place for us to live in view of what we like to do.

Holidays, after 7 years only touched on areas outside the South West, need many more trips to fully explore regions.

I think it easier just to agree that is your insight into the subject. It really doesn't matter IMO what one thinks of such a that. I know from experience and comparing to other cities Perth has definite limitations for visitors. There is a finite amount of things before exhausted.

Perth is not good value on an international stage of price comparisons. That is what I'm more concerned about, than arguing the toss with newish arrivals with regards to continuous ongoing activity on the local unexplored things to do front or the like.

I gather much of what passes as life remains somewhat a mystery for some participants on this forum. Not sure what to say. Some get it others don't. Some just take a lot longer. Trust you'll be one of the latter at some later stage.

If any proof is needed on a parallel universe theory then this thread goes a long way to providing it!