Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

For those who keep saying Perth is more expensive to live than other states, have they actually lived in the other states or is it just what they think things are? I have went back and forward the past few years between Melbourne and Perth and still think Perth is no more expensive apart from rent and cost of buying a house, and I believe Melbourne is catching up in that respect.

I have an example of electricity, both bills from within a year (2015)

Melbourne Supply charge $ 1.13 per day Electricity 0.26 per unit

Perth Supply Charge 42.89cents per day Electricity 0.2326 per unit

I have many other examples where Perth is cheaper including health insurance, house insurance, car insurance, Rego, Gas, so it seems Perth is not so bad afterall

Edited by AJ

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So again, what exactly is more expensive in your opinion Flag? Please, tell me because I'm not convinced. You can't make assertions and not back them with factual evidence of wanting to be taken seriously

I'm not trying to convince you and yes I can make assertions into the expense of Perth. Stretch your gaze a bit further afield. You may be surprised at the differences. If your fine paying what you pay, I'm more than fine with that. I have already stated items cheaper in Melbourne.

I'm from Yorkshire and a true Yorkshireman at that

I watch my money for sure

I eat out a lot in cafe's and the such for lunches

But when I go out for a nice meal with Pam which might be once or twice a month why would I worry about the bill as long as its reasonable and good food

We had a great meal in Brisbane the other week at Viet de lites South Bank its Vietnamese with great food and very good value at about $40

We went out for a steak meal recently and spent closer to $100 on some steaks that are just to die for at Cav's Steak House

Both so different but I loved them both

Price doesn't matter if your with the right person which for me is Pam

Love is all you need - singing

Yes love even flumox's a Yorkshire man! Love has no prices on the menu before you commit and it has cost me a blooming fortune:wink:, but then it has given me and several others like Howard here 'immeasurable value for money':notworthy: and some fringe benefits:Randy-git:

You been smoking something flag? Wheres's the doom and gloom? sounds like *gasp* you may have had a nice time.

Get yourself a steak and Beer for $60 to bring you back down to reality :wink:

You are it appears on board the confused bus. I don't do gloom and doom. Purely a Pom's in Oz tabloid like accusation, spread by certain posters , confused when confronted by realties. I admit to doing reality though, painful as it seemingly is to any number of peeps on here.

I paid not too much less for a good bottle of Italian wine the other night. Only because I prefer Italian red and it was an occasion. In fact would as far as purchasing a second. .. the reality being very much over $60. Which is fairly average, if a little on the low side to eat out in Perth for one person.

Yes love even flumox's a Yorkshire man! Love has no prices on the menu before you commit and it has cost me a blooming fortune:wink:, but then it has given me and several others like Howard here 'immeasurable value for money':notworthy: and some fringe benefits:Randy-git:

The mating habits of Yorkshire folk on the make no doubt. Here was I thinking at most a quick fumble under the sheets would amount to a Yorkshires person of romance.

The mating habits of Yorkshire folk on the make no doubt. Here was I thinking at most a quick fumble under the sheets would amount to a Yorkshires person of romance.

Very good flag! but as you have previously stated you are entitled to your opinions, and this one is on a par with most of them. However you may in part be correct - being the bigger the balls are the easier they are to fumble:wink:

For those who keep saying Perth is more expensive to live than other states, have they actually lived in the other states or is it just what they think things are? I have went back and forward the past few years between Melbourne and Perth and still think Perth is no more expensive apart from rent and cost of buying a house, and I believe Melbourne is catching up in that respect.

I have an example of electricity, both bills from within a year (2015)

Melbourne Supply charge $ 1.13 per day Electricity 0.26 per unit

Perth Supply Charge 42.89cents per day Electricity 0.2326 per unit

I have many other examples where Perth is cheaper including health insurance, house insurance, car insurance, Rego, Gas, so it seems Perth is not so bad afterall

Utility bills have increased massively since the Liberal/Conservative Barnett came into power. Electricity from recall something to the nature of 80% . Water massively hiked over a short time as well.

Electricity is according to Numeo over 12% Lower in Melbourne than Perth, just doing a quick check.

Eating out of course remains shockingly expensive in Perth, a full 26% more than most comparably figures between the two cities. Something that doesn't come as a surprise to those of us that have dined in both cities.

Very good flag! but as you have previously stated you are entitled to your opinions, and this one is on a par with most of them. However you may in part be correct - being the bigger the balls are the easier they are to fumble:wink:

I take it the rest is hardly of note and hence not worth the bother. I do get the frustration of Yorkshire lasses believe me, but as they say a fumble is close to better than nothing. Just wish they would confine their frustration of line.

Utility bills have increased massively since the Liberal/Conservative Barnett came into power. Electricity from recall something to the nature of 80% . Water massively hiked over a short time as well.

Electricity is according to Numeo over 12% Lower in Melbourne than Perth, just doing a quick check.

Eating out of course remains shockingly expensive in Perth, a full 26% more than most comparably figures between the two cities. Something that doesn't come as a surprise to those of us that have dined in both cities.

The Perth cost is from the bill I have just received from Synergy for period 14th November to 13th January 2016. The Melbourne one is from August 2015 being the final bill before I moved back to Perth. I can quite easily post the actual bill if you doubt me. Maybe you should believe someone who has the actual evidence in their hand rather than probably fudged comparison figures!!!

The Perth cost is from the bill I have just received from Synergy for period 14th November to 13th January 2016. The Melbourne one is from August 2015 being the final bill before I moved back to Perth. I can quite easily post the actual bill if you doubt me. Maybe you should believe someone who has the actual evidence in their hand rather than probably fudged comparison figures!!!

I have no idea with regards to variables and reasons for billing differential. I have had no electric bill issued in Victoria and as such can only go by the difference in rate given by Numeo.

I can vouch for food price differences though, including coffee, breakfasts, Indian, etc. Perth takes the cake and eats it as well in comparison.

I have heard nothing to the contrary to suggest otherwise in recent times. In fact folk I know that moved over there from Perth, claim to eat out far more there than Perth.

I did have a friend who recently came back from visiting Perth and remarked about it being more expensive than the East Coast cities for eating out.

Electricity can depend on many factors though, type of house, AC, Pool etc

Actually you are correct in that I'm only correct in part, I've heard through not entirely convincing urban myth, that Yorkshire folk don't bother with sheets. More a case of fumbling and brass tacks standing, perhaps you can shed further light on the bizarre mating habits/rituals of Yorkshire folk.

I did have a friend who recently came back from visiting Perth and remarked about it being more expensive than the East Coast cities for eating out.

of course electricty can vary but I am not quoting actual bills, the unit price remains the same regardless of what type of house or usage!

Well your friend at least had eyes open, a little more than a lot of the folk living here. Mind blowing stuff, denying the obvious. Although I expect MacDonald's/ Red Rooster/KFC and the like have a universal Oz price and not a special WA mark up. We are the state of cashed up Bogans so perhaps not unexpected.

of course electricty can vary but I am not quoting actual bills, the unit price remains the same regardless of what type of house or usage!

And as I said the Barnet WA government has increased bills some 80% since gaining power. I doubt VIC prices would have risen by such a sum. Utility bills in WA are darn expensive. Water being another of massive rising prices.

Well your friend at least had eyes open, a little more than a lot of the folk living here. Mind blowing stuff, denying the obvious. Although I expect MacDonald's/ Red Rooster/KFC and the like have a universal Oz price and not a special WA mark up. We are the state of cashed up Bogans so perhaps not unexpected.
You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself. Is it jealousy that drives your attitude towards people who have more money than yourself? We are not all bogans you know.

And as I said the Barnet WA government has increased bills some 80% since gaining power. I doubt VIC prices would have risen by such a sum. Utility bills in WA are darn expensive. Water being another of massive rising prices.
Well Perth must have been very very cheap for Electricity before the Barnet Government, if they have increased 80% and they are STILL cheaper than Melbourne.

I'm not trying to convince you and yes I can make assertions into the expense of Perth. Stretch your gaze a bit further afield. You may be surprised at the differences. If your fine paying what you pay, I'm more than fine with that. I have already stated items cheaper in Melbourne.

Utilities? Is that all?

All I know, without looking at utilities providers and unit prices is that bills vary massively state to state, user to user. So we could find people who feel utilities are astronomical and others who think they're reasonable in a so called cheaper state. My gas is $100 per bill, electric. $300-450 season dependant, water about $250 per bill.

Actually you are correct in that I'm only correct in part, I've heard through not entirely convincing urban myth, that Yorkshire folk don't bother with sheets. More a case of fumbling and brass tacks standing, perhaps you can shed further light on the bizarre mating habits/rituals of Yorkshire folk.

Fifty shades of Yorkshire :wink: and that just foreplay:laugh:

Utilities? Is that all?

Health insurance down $100 per month, house contents down $8 per month, Rego less,need to check, Car Insurance less Over $100 per year, need to check exact, dont want to mislead, another few examples.

All I know, without looking at utilities providers and unit prices is that bills vary massively state to state, user to user. So we could find people who feel utilities are astronomical and others who think they're reasonable in a so called cheaper state. My gas is $100 per bill, electric. $300-450 season dependant, water about $250 per bill.

We use bottled gas for cooking so only about $25 per Qtr, electricity is about the $700 mark and water some $350. Coffee $4.50 a cup. A fumble under the sheets-----------priceless:laugh: