Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself. Is it jealousy that drives your attitude towards people who have more money than yourself? We are not all bogans you know.

No idea if your a Bogan or not, even though sentiment may be suggestive. I have no jealousy of minted folk, although abhor ostentatious behaviour, something a little the hall mark of certain quarters of Perth. The affluence disease can be contagious and is easily picked up by newcomers which is a little unfortunate. Not least, often for the person family inflicted, as often cannot afford such a display but peer competition dictates.

I obviously have opinions, not of myself though as remain a very simple fellow and certainly not a victim of the affluence disease nor to impress. You really need to attempt another course as obviously steered into uncharted waters and in danger of grounding.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if this debate is not about the price of a cuppa or a meal out (which we've already ascertained can be as cheap or expensive as you like anywhere in Australia)

and..we've ascertained that utilities are not in fact more expensive in Perth than melbourne then what are we talking about exactly? Some intangible thing? If it can't be named or defined it doesn't exist surely? It's individual perception not fact.

Eating out 26% more in Perth. Coffees more. You name it. Rents, with the decline appear to be less these days. Hardly a lot between the two in that department. Not forgetting Melbourne is more of a going out city in that sense of course.

I feel straw clutching has commenced. You stated several pages ago that this was not about eating out and the cost of. Now it is?

AJ is right in that our actual bills are dependent on our individual usage, the unit rates give the more accurate measure of where utilities are more expensive.

Sort of. What if you need more heating / cooling in Perth though? Does that mean electricity is more expensive for the same lifestyle?

Sort of. What if you need more heating / cooling in Perth though? Does that mean electricity is more expensive for the same lifestyle?
Believe me you need a lot more heating in Melbourne, and a lot more cooling in Perth so kinda evens out really!

Believe me you need a lot more heating in Melbourne, and a lot more cooling in Perth so kinda evens out really!

Saying that every time i'm in Melbourne it seems to crank out a heatwave! Horrible those 40 degree out of nowhere days

I feel straw clutching has commenced. You stated several pages ago that this was not about eating out and the cost of. Now it is?

Hardly. You did ask is that all? It is about the general cost of living which is high in Australia as a nation. Perth comes out higher in many things if not most. Not sure why you wish to argue the toss. Ever been to any other city in Australia?

That's it I need to get the Partner back at work and the baby off to childcare! Or move to Perth...

Nah I can't do it, i'm not sitting with those dreadful Eagles/Dockers fans to get my AFL fix...

Hardly. You did ask is that all? It is about the general cost of living which is high in Australia as a nation. Perth comes out higher in many things if not most. Not sure why you wish to argue the toss. Ever been to any other city in Australia?

Not arguing the toss, you started the thread and I'm questioning the validity of what you are stating. Cost of living high in Australia that's a given, more so in Perth than elsewhere? I'm not convinced and what you've offered hasn't convinced me, regardless of whether that was your intention. That's my stance and opinion. Not shown that Perth is more expensive for 'most' things. You're being very ambiguous.

You are the one that said to leave food and drink out of it. Perth isn't the most expensive place in Australia at all. Not by a long chalk.

Yes, been to Adelaide and Melbourne (as a visitor) was in fact shocked at price in restaurant in Melbourne. Never lived there and you've been resident in Perth for quite some time too so unsure of your objectivity re cost of living in other states tbf

Too many loons.

If its at yours I'll make the effort. Do you include yourself together with the loons? I'm sure you'll have a padded locked room where they can be left to own devices. We'll hose them down every quarter of an hour and throw in a few mouldy bread rolls.

I do realise I'll likely be a tad lonely being the sole participant in the room of the hmm..sane.

Not arguing the toss, you started the thread and I'm questioning the validity of what you are stating. Cost of living high in Australia that's a given, more so in Perth than elsewhere? I'm not convinced and what you've offered hasn't convinced me, regardless of whether that was your intention. That's my stance and opinion. Not shown that Perth is more expensive for 'most' things. You're being very ambiguous.

You are the one that said to leave food and drink out of it. Perth isn't the most expensive place in Australia at all. Not by a long chalk.

Yes, been to Adelaide and Melbourne (as a visitor) was in fact shocked at price in restaurant in Melbourne. Never lived there and you've been resident in Perth for quite some time too so unsure of your objectivity re cost of living in other states tbf

Well you did cherry pick one poll that suggested Perth was not as expensive aimed at ex pats. I am not trying to convince anyone. I found Melbourne dining out cheaper than Perth and have been there on three occasions over eight/nine years. Now the Numeo comparison of international cities further underlines the cost disadvantage of living in Perth. As quoted they claim 26% more expensive to eat out.

Now as for property, Perth is now lower than Melbourne to rent, but not greatly, and to purchase. Hardly surprising with Melbourne now being Australia's fastest growing city , and Perth and to a lesser extent Brisbane, wilting.