Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kev, flag started this thread and in his first post mentioned the cost of meals and even with that he states meals at $29, and then carries on like a pork chop about meals over $30. He also mentions that beer is not in fact the dearest (6th) and also that coffee is not the dearest in the region either (not sure what the region is?).

But as you say value for money is what most folk go for, however if someone believes they get value for money from a $30 plus meal then that is fine too, but there is no need to hark on about the cost of such meals as being the norm and then also not believe a word other people, and there has been a few, post about their value for money meals and even run them down as being lunch time specials.

I'll tell you what, if ever I feel depressed I will just read some of flags posts and realize I am not really that badly off

Don't bother if you prefer to maintain the Disney Land façade, but if one day you want to get real and know what critique means, coffee is the dearest of Australia's main cities. As a food prices, although Darwin would likely top Perth, but not been there in years nor checked recently. Beer certainly is highly priced outside of Happy Hours, at least in the inner locations, am well aware I can (and have) got half price pints at RSL Clubs. Hardly locations I'd care to regularly frequent. I don't hark on. Perth prices are what they are. Generally a rip off which sadly doesn't stop at eating out. Whether tradies care or not, is another subject, but to regular salary earners it is substantial.

Also a lot to say for someone not familiar with the Perth landscape nor prices. Anyway I think we are generally in agreement going out is a rather expensive business in Perth. Not an argument that there are some cheaper 'alternatives'.

WOW .. $30 .. that's so insanely priced, I'm not surprised it's only the 1%ers that can afford to eat.

An example. Nice steaks, but most meals are actually under $30.

http://bwgsteakhouse.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BWG-Dinner-Menu-October-2015-Final1.pdf

(okay, they may be $29, but that's still not 'in excess of $30')

And I'd say that you are mainly paying for the view at Bluewater.

Or if you are doing the touristy thing at Cottesloe?

http://indiana.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Indiana-A-La-Carte-Menu-NOVEMBER-2015.pdf

Again, there is a lot on offer for under $30. And again, you are mainly paying for the location.

When a Red Rooster will set you back $15 .. I don't really see the issue.

I'm still waiting for a explanation on a $2 train fare that doesn't exist, unless going two sections, which is limited to one stop in city limits , let alone $8 beers .....Who would be seen dead in an over priced Red Rooster? Does anyone over 18 eat in such places? Had no idea of the prices to eat there. Furthers the story of rip off Perth in the eating out stakes then.

I'll tell you what, if ever I feel depressed I will just read some of flags posts and realize I am not really that badly off

Don't read 'em mate. You can lift yourself 10 notches in the happiness stakes from his posts by listening to Leonard Cohen's early stuff :-)

Day in, day out, nothing but his negativity under the guise of "the reality of Perth"

Are you, that's nice dear.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/tickets-fares/fares

One Zone, $2.25 ..

Plenty of cheap pints here too.

https://www.thehappiesthour.com/specials/perth/beer/

Well haven't you royally stuffed up? :wink: first of all you lead us up the garden path regarding the train fares. Also Specials do not count, you have to pay full price or above:wink:

Perth has the free CAT buses although I've only been on them once or twice

All buses are free in the FTZ, not just the CAT ones. It's just the CAT buses never leave the FTZ.

Map here :-

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Portals/0/Asset/Documents/Tickets%20&%20Fares/PERTH_CAT_Map_2013-2.pdf

And the Zone map is here :-

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Portals/0/Asset/Documents/Tickets%20&%20Fares/Transperth_zone_map.pdf

So for $2.25 I can decide to train it to plenty of places for a drink. Subi, Clairmont, Leedy, Mt Lawley, Vic Park, Applecross .. and if I decide to change locations within 2 hours, it's free.

Edited by Bibbs

Well haven't you royally stuffed up? :wink: first of all you lead us up the garden path regarding the train fares. Also Specials do not count, you have to pay full price or above:wink:

Yeah, sorry again.

When the bar has a special on what I actually drink, I should pack up and drink somewhere else.

And to throw in, the $2.25 train ride was comparable to to one stop I used to do in the UK when going out for drinks.

I've just looked that up, and it's now £2.30. But my train on Friday was on-time, clean, air conditioned, and patrolled. Unlike the UK.

And a pint is £4.65 in the local pub that I used to drink in (actually the same drink).

Perth seems quite cheap now.

Edited by Bibbs

Don't read 'em mate. You can lift yourself 10 notches in the happiness stakes from his posts by listening to Leonard Cohen's early stuff :-)

Day in, day out, nothing but his negativity under the guise of "the reality of Perth"

Well you appear to butt in without taking own advice. Free to do so of course even if clueless as to Perth. How can relating international comparisons as well as those from here somehow be but reality? Doesn't matter you want be able to offer an answer, so needed bother.

So you go out and view menus and move on until you find one with the right prices for you

I guess the empty ones must be the cheapest and lowest standard of food

I look for what food I want to eat

The price is secondary surely

Well obviously it is some peoples perspective towards looking at it. No wonder prices remain astronomical with such attitudes towards pricing. I realise some 'feel' good paying over 'norms', I guess they feel somehow more of 'worth' or in turn they are part of the rorts being under taken in guise of skilled labour, or simply have too much money to care.

No actually in the Perth scenario at least, and I would be surprised if other cities differed, it is the cheap ones with some other added value that get them through the doors.

For example a new fine dining Thai opened near me three weeks ago and seldom see it more than a quarter occupancy. Thai food can be had for far cheaper so hence hardly attractive to the mainstream market.