Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

Just had our fourth Xmas/new year here. Can't believe where time has gone.

if you can't find joy in the beautiful nature we have around us then its not for you:wubclub:

Get out of Perth if you really want nature. The Kimberly's would be an ideal start. But we get you like the place. Again not about liking. About the cost of living here.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the best things in life are free Flag. I firmly believe that and in Perth....only limit is your imagination and energy levels. It's a good place to live on a budget

Are you preaching? Perth is not a good place on a budget. Of course one can live without spending a lot ... a fugal life but there are locations far more comfortable than Perth to do that. But like I said its about the cost of living. A very hard place if on a pension of any sort or renting on a low paid job.

I like to bring my kids up appreciating natures best. I couldn't do that so much, not on a year round basis in UK. I find low cost living very possible here, bills are bills. Even when we are older and child 'free' I doubt our basic likes and dislikes will change...if I could afford it and had the opportunity ID visit the theatre and concerts much more, would bump up the budget....I find a lot of free entertainment to be had though all the same if I had the time or opportunity to explore it (or lived in more central location)

Are you preaching? Perth is not a good place on a budget. Of course one can live without spending a lot ... a fugal life but there are locations far more comfortable than Perth to do that. But like I said its about the cost of living. A very hard place if on a pension of any sort or renting on a low paid job.

Preaching? No. Giving my personal opinion and experience. A very different proposition

Depends on your idea of QOL? Surely?

Get out of Perth if you really want nature. The Kimberly's would be an ideal start. But we get you like the place. Again not about liking. About the cost of living here.

Yep. Leisure pursuits can eat into budget for many so relevant topic. No need to leave Perth metro area for a glorious intro to Aus nature as you should know.

I still don't get it flag.

We don't have mega paying jobs, but can utilise many a free or cheap day here.

we arrived here with nothing, still not rich, but could get our own home in our mid forties with no savings, can go out whenever we want, eat and drink cheaply.

The sun shines.

what more, after travelling a lot of the world can we want..

I think a lot depends on individual circumstances. I've had at least 5% rise each year (husband similar, just under 15% over 3 years) Expecting same this year, mortgage payments lower than our rent was, utilities certainly higher but not unexpected. Groceries, I can't see the issue? Expect to pay what we do for where we decide to shop....it's all good. Long may it continue.

I think a lot depends on individual circumstances. I've had at least 5% rise each year (husband similar, just under 15% over 3 years) Expecting same this year, mortgage payments lower than our rent was, utilities certainly higher but not unexpected. Groceries, I can't see the issue? Expect to pay what we do for where we decide to shop....it's all good. Long may it continue.

You even talk like an Aussie ;-)

Perth is a fantastic place to live. Stating facts isn't pulling a place apart. Just acknowledgement of the way it is for some.

The problem is that most of whats been said is from one person

Several others saying the opposite

So is it facts?

Sounds like one persons thoughts

So not exactly FACTS

Sorry for posting on a Perth thread I know nothing of

I love reading about other cities

I'll move on lol

The problem is that most of whats been said is from one person

Several others saying the opposite

So is it facts?

Sounds like one persons thoughts

So not exactly FACTS

Sorry for posting on a Perth thread I know nothing of

I love reading about other cities

I'll move on lol

I stand corrected

Guest Trolleybus
Anyway the thread has for some reason got bogged down over the outrageous cost of dinning out in Perth. Although some tend to disagree. As is their entitlement of course. Moving on from the personal insults, some folk just cannot hear negatives with regards to Perth, always has been the case, but the numbers have dwindled over time as economic conditions have turned.

Now paying high prices in times of wage stagnation or decline, or loss of job, doesn't sound so flash to ever more people.

It still hasn't been explained just why a coffee in Perth, should cost more than in Sydney or Melbourne. There is no logic reason. Purely a WA mark up on Boom time conditions. Boom is over time to rectify. Rents are in decline. House prices have a considerable way to go, but so does food we buy in supermarkets and the like.

There is no valid reason Perth should be in first world city tier price range. Yet folk on here prefer to discuss a 'cheap' breakfast than looking at a bigger picture observing something needs to change.

There is a reason and it's a simple one. Think about it

There is a reason and it's a simple one. Think about it

Many of these things being discussed are optional expenses and can be easily avoided.

In addition, Perth has always been expensive due to transport costs and lower economies of scale.

The things to be discussed for the future of Perth are wages, and whether they will decrease in line with the current resources crisis. Housing; how prices are to be maintained if wages reduce. Immigration, whether it will continue, and whether there will be jobs.

The price of dinner is neither here nor there.

So far Perth seems to be holding up well, considering all that is happening in the world.

The big question is whether this is immunity, or whether there is a time delay.

Under the current economic climate Perth should be crippled. Clearly it is not. It would be interesting to know why for those living there, and those about to arrive.

I was in the cbd earlier and it was really busy. Lots of restaurants looked packed etc. I was actually starting to get really annoyed with the crowds on street, wanted to push a few of them over lol

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. FoC has his finger on the Perth pulse y'know ;-)

I'm not even exaggerating, it was really busy lol. I think it actually seemed busier than last Friday. I'll be avoiding the streets at that time when I can. People were just really annoying me. I suppose it's a Friday so that's why it's busy but even most of the week I never walk around and think god this place is a ghost town. We went out in Northbridge on Tuesday and still quite a lot of people were out

I have to agree that there are no bargains to be had in Perth if you want evening 'fine dining' apart from with the Entertainment Book. Eating out at night (on a night of your choice) ie no 'specials' can be a pricey experience. Asian or Italian is always cheaper (and nicer) than 'modern Australian' I find.

Not only in fine dining either. Something which I now seldom do. Rather ordinary dining at around $35 plus is expensive in my book. I am well aware I can and do find for $30 but mostly anything under, unless there is an ambiance or some other attraction could do myself better at home.

Flag, you appear to be alone on this thread regarding costs, and as such, folk directing an alternative to your view and your continued insistence on not accepting others view points,I suppose could be taken as a personal attack. They are, by the way not. I must admit I admire the way you stick by your views and it provides some light hearted fun! for me anyhow

Have you come up with some figures yet?

Figures on comparison with prices in Perth noted on the site mentioned that compares world cities. Rest from personal experience and well established people acquainted with. Besides from a steady flow from media and other outlets and folk passing through, own experience with pricing in other cities play a part as well.

This is far more than the price of chow in a nosh house though. It is about the actual costs to live in Perth.

Flag, I know you like figures and statistics, could you have a look through this post and come up with some figures for the numbers of the folk whom say they have no problem with finding meals at decent prices against those whom say they can't? and once you have collated such figures can you advise if you accept them as being reasonable or have been manipulated to suit an agenda?

I am of course looking beyond the $18 - $20 burger and chips and salad available about anywhere. Some may call this dining out. The figures for dining out in Perth on an international comparison list point to Perth being very high. That is hardly debateable.

I'd say the numbers are bored of trying to argue with you about it, and are just getting on with other things.

But it's almost 3PM, so time I went and got and $8 beer, followed by a $2 train ride home.

More to due with it being fact which is hard to argue against. You didn't elaborate on the train fare. Unless on a pension (then Perth is doubly hard for you) there are no $2 train stops. Unless you are going two sections as mentioned. Meaning to could have walked the distance.

Your eagerness to defend Perth, high cost or not, begins to unravel with such obvious absurd disclosures. Unless of course you have/done one of the two things mentioned. I do wonder why though you are in denial of the fact considering your long term status as myself here?