Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preaching? No. Giving my personal opinion and experience. A very different proposition

Well Perth is hardly a good place for one on a budget. Ask some of our pensioners getting by purely on the Aged Pension. Anyone on New Start Unemployment payments will find it close to impossible to survive. Even The Chamber of Commerce has recognised that the payment is to low for one to be 'work ready' in such an economic climate. I'm rather amazed at the number of people that would struggle to raise $5,000 for an emergency. It was something close to half the population from memory.

I don't see how anyone on low income from whatever source would find Perth an easy place on a budget. To be fair few such places exist in Australia these days.

Figures on comparison with prices in Perth noted on the site mentioned that compares world cities. Rest from personal experience and well established people acquainted with. Besides from a steady flow from media and other outlets and folk passing through, own experience with pricing in other cities play a part as well.

This is far more than the price of chow in a nosh house though. It is about the actual costs to live in Perth.

Like what? What 'other costs'?

Like what? What 'other costs'?

The cost of living in Perth. Utilities. Check them out compare for example with QLD. Rent. The purchase of a house. The price of food. Did you not get the thread title, prices not falling? That means far more than being fleeced at your local chow house.

Hence we are what I have been constantly under lining one of the most expensive cities in the world.

I think a lot depends on individual circumstances. I've had at least 5% rise each year (husband similar, just under 15% over 3 years) Expecting same this year, mortgage payments lower than our rent was, utilities certainly higher but not unexpected. Groceries, I can't see the issue? Expect to pay what we do for where we decide to shop....it's all good. Long may it continue.

Cheap money is basically why many keep afloat and can afford mortgages on disgustingly expensive housing. Even the slightest rise is going to tip over a number. A return to anything like 'normal' would diminish a large segment of the debt incurred population.

With rents in decline I would question whether a bank loan is cheaper.

It is an issue for a lot of Aussies. They recall how it was prior to it going crazy. People on pretty average wages of $75,000 are indeed hurting. But besides little reason why Melbourne should be cheaper than Perth. You can compare affordability rates as well, comparing Perth with other cities.

Yeah utilities have increased, expected? At the time I left the UK we were being hammered by constant hikes in gas and electric.

Fuel, can be lower than 7 years ago on right day of week

My mortgage payments are at an all time low, cheaper than my rent was (therefore choose to pay more)

All the time cost of living wage increases......I can't say it affects or concerns me, the cost of living in Perth

Thats not to say that everyone is affected in same way though.

Oi I've never shoplifted since I was a toddler lol. Some things are expensive - I saw a ready meal that was something like $15. Maybe it was the queens swan lol. Most things seem reasonable although like flag said - I've a bad habit of converting in my head.

You really would need to live on a bar tenders wage in Perth and see how far you get. Glad you made your escape intact anyway. Camera's everywhere in Perth.

Yep. Leisure pursuits can eat into budget for many so relevant topic. No need to leave Perth metro area for a glorious intro to Aus nature as you should know.

What I do know is that Perth is not particularly a tourist city and to see the 'real nature' it is far best done hitting the road and heading north. (primary)

Depends on your idea of 'real' we just spent a few hours exploring an area 45 mins from us never seen before. It seemed pretty 'real' and we all enjoyed it. Did comment that many would be bored witless though. Limestone cave gorge.

There are obviously a lot of variables while others are content with the minimal, which is fine, the real thing though is found on roads leading out.

There are obviously a lot of variables while others are content with the minimal, which is fine, the real thing though is found on roads leading out.

As would be expected in most developed cities, more unspoilt the further from civilisation. Plenty to do and see within a short drive too. That's what I like about Perth, such diversity of landscapes in comparitively short distances.

As would be expected in most developed cities, more unspoilt the further from civilisation. Plenty to do and see within a short drive too. That's what I like about Perth, such diversity of landscapes in comparitively short distances.

Not what I find at all. Hardly a short drive to find diversity. Each to their own. Long done everything Metro inclined. But I admire your ability to maintain the enthusiasm, if I can put it that way. Not that I'm saying there is a lot wrong with Perth, outside the high pricing and working practice, often followed here. Sure Rock the Socks off Stoke, I expect.

Not what I find at all. Hardly a short drive to find diversity. Each to their own. Long done everything Metro inclined. But I admire your ability to maintain the enthusiasm, if I can put it that way. Not that I'm saying there is a lot wrong with Perth, outside the high pricing and working practice, often followed here. Sure Rock the Socks off Stoke, I expect.

Good attempt at not being condescending. It satisfies me yes, if that's what you meant. I think when you feel you've 'done everything' you haven't really 'done anything at all'

Edited by HappyHeart

Good attempt at not being condescending. It satisfies me yes, if that's what you meant. I think when you feel you've 'done everything' you haven't really 'done anything at all'

Agreed. I thought I'd done everything, or at least the best of what I could afford at the time. I used to think there was nothing to beat climbing to the stone axe factory in the Langdales and pondering about who had trod before and what they'd killed with those axes, arrowheads etc. Even found some arrowheads once which are now in some museum somewhere. Likewise the Scottish Highlands and the lowlands...........how could you possibly take all that in? Thousands of yrs of history to be absorbed in your mere lifetime?

Walking the Rainforest the other week and reading about the earlier inhabitants and searching out the things that they ate, was just as enlightening and pleasurable as my trips in the highlands of the UK.................and I realise............there is still so much to do, see, and learn within 100 kilometres of my home. Anyone who says they've seen it all, (anywhere) has their eyes half closed in my opinion..........fauna, flora, geography, history...........so much to absorb that it would take more than a lifetime.

Edited by Johndoe