Perth Boom Fades, Not High Prices

flag of convenience

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it still more expensive in Tasmania? It used be outrageous (1980s) and all the best produce went north to the Big Island.

I think shopping at the 2 big supermarkets - the prices are the same. As I've stated in previous posts I only shop there for detergents, loo rolls etc. I mainly shop at farmers markets or direct from farms. Husband is a meat eater and finds meat has gone up in price especially his favourite - lamb. Goodness knows why it's so expensive as there are so many sheep running around the fields but as you say, it's probably being shipped up to you lot. I very rarely buy frozen or packaged frozen meals so don't know if they are more expensive. I haven't been shopping for clothes yet - may make a trip and stay with friends in Sydney/Melbourne and have a bit of a spree. Not very exciting shops in Devonport - not that I have much interest in shopping as such - I missed out on the shop 'til you drop gene.

I think shopping at the 2 big supermarkets - the prices are the same. As I've stated in previous posts I only shop there for detergents, loo rolls etc. I mainly shop at farmers markets or direct from farms. Husband is a meat eater and finds meat has gone up in price especially his favourite - lamb. Goodness knows why it's so expensive as there are so many sheep running around the fields but as you say, it's probably being shipped up to you lot. I very rarely buy frozen or packaged frozen meals so don't know if they are more expensive. I haven't been shopping for clothes yet - may make a trip and stay with friends in Sydney/Melbourne and have a bit of a spree. Not very exciting shops in Devonport - not that I have much interest in shopping as such - I missed out on the shop 'til you drop gene.

I have to be honest I've recently had a bit of an eye opener on Supermarkets. I'm now working for one of the big ones, I won't say where or which one, for obvious reasons but, the pay is bloomin really really good, so it would explain a lot of the mark up.

Is it still more expensive in Tasmania? It used be outrageous (1980s) and all the best produce went north to the Big Island.

No...in a survey of grocery prices conducted by Choice (Australian Consumers' Associaton) last June, Tasmania was the second cheapest after the ACT.

That was based on prices in the large supermarkets and despite the fact that Aldi doesn't exist here. In Hobart at least we have a couple of smaller independent chains which have cheaper (and better quality) fresh food than Coles and Woolies. There is also Salamanca Market on Saturday and the Farm Gate market on Sunday where we can buy direct from the grower/producer...so usually cheaper again.

A lot of premium produce is exported - not just to the mainland but air freighted to high end Asian markets now - but we can still get excellent quality here. The local cherries, berries and apricots I'm buying at the moment are superb!:wubclub:

Husband is a meat eater and finds meat has gone up in price especially his favourite - lamb. Goodness knows why it's so expensive as there are so many sheep running around the fields but as you say, it's probably being shipped up to you lot.

I think it's due to the very dry conditions for the past year: low stock numbers compared to a normal year.

Of course, your dogs were lovely!

Ive just sat and worked out what I've spend in Perth so far and it's mad so I'm going to be joining flags team now :wubclub:

Membership will be in the post. Not cheap I'm afraid, but this is Perth and OZ. Reflect though for a moment just how expensive it would have been if we hadn't the devaluation. Actually not such a bad deal for tourists I suppose. Certainly compared to eighteen months ago.

Not forgetting the reality of Perth being expensive is not my concept. It is a forum that compares international prices. Perth being 21 st most expensive world city, from memory, is rather over the top IMO.

Same as didn't find a steak, salad and chips at $34 in a Fremantle pub particularly cheap yesterday for lunch either. They do have $15 specials once a week. From what I'm told though it is different quality meat to the more expensive daily version.

I'll definitely wear the shirt but I don't drink beer. What about cruisers - are they bogan? I bought a baseball cap today so that'll add to the whole look

I imagine Bogan Pride written on the cap was an attention grabbing feature and will 'ease' the fitting in process. Don't remove it though when you arrive in QLD. Made to fit.

It's a billabong hat actually! Can't I get mates rates on the membership? Hostels took a large chunk of my money but honestly I don't know what I spent the rest on. Food I suppose and the occasional night out. And phone topups!

I was in the super market yesterday and I couldn't help looking at the prices again. I still don't find most things more expensive than back home, there's the occasional thing but on the whole seems roughly the same. Meat seems to be a little bit cheaper.