tough new immigration policies- Man faces deportation after 50 years in the country

Maggie2012

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you are born with a brain and you can choose whether you wish to be good or do evil deeds.

That is very different.

Therefore the most important consideration is the piece of land where that brain originally came into being. The country and society where you live your whole life has no influence on your brain?

I'm with PC - he had a choice to become Australian and he couldn't be bothered. He needs to takponsibility for his own actions it's not Australia's fault or Britain's fault that he chose to be an idiot and break the law but it is his fault that he didn't get citizenship.

Maybe he thought that he was a citizen. Coming here 51 years ago his parents, as they were British, would have had virtually all the rights and privileges that a citizen has and when he became 18 he would have gone on to the electoral roll. In those days they used to come round the houses checking that everyone who was 18,and entitled, was on the roll. However , that does not excuse him from responsibility for his actions.

why would one who was brought up in OZ and lived there for 98% of his life not have become an ozzie? Send all the crims to the UK, just like they did 240 odd years ag, get rid of all the riff raff, not only foreigners but ozzies as well :cool:

Perhaps because those that don't travel it doesn't cross their mind. Why would it? The bureaucratic workings of state escape the average citizen.

Many older Brits never bothered taking out citizenship and I think it is time this situation is dealt with. Cough up or lose your citizenship .

If they don't have it, they can't lose it. I don't see why they should be force to become citizens. They are legally entitled to be here and have the privileges. They have contributed to the country.

But regardless if you are going to commit to living your whole life in a new country you should become a citizen.

But this guy didn't. He was brought out at the age of 1 and never knew anything other than Australia. It probably never occurred to him to take out citizenship because how would that change what he had always taken as read - that Australia was home? He certainly wasn't committing his life to a new country.

But this guy didn't. He was brought out at the age of 1 and never knew anything other than Australia. It probably never occurred to him to take out citizenship because how would that change what he had always taken as read - that Australia was home? He certainly wasn't committing his life to a new country.

I tend to agree with this, he wouldn't have thought of himself as anything other than Australian and the thought of having to gain citizenship probably never crossed his mind.

……….but Australias responsibility..!

………he has lived all bar a tiny bit of his life here…..

……..so regardless of his nationality……

……..citezen or not..

……….he should be able to remain here….

………for those who say citezenship should be mandatory….

……….perhaps this should be enforced…?

……….but regardlass i stand by my fiest post….

……….we cannot just discard the bad in our society…….it must be dealt with here…

……….and a punishment have a time……

I could write a post...but it would just say this. Agree with you Tink.

Life is very black and white in parley world isn't it, no space for nuance is there?

The longer I spend on this earth the more I see my views challenged and changing by real life experiences. Let him without sin and all that....not everyone with a criminal record is a bad person. People DO make terrible mistakes. Then change. I'm not referring to this arsonist but it could just as easily apply...I don't know him obviously..but I have had recent experiences with people who had I not got to know I would have written off. Prejudices are there to be dispelled. Slightly off topic but a transgender patient totally opened my eyes and made me quite ashamed of my pre-conceived judgement a few years ago. Never judge...or try not to at least.

…………..havving lived most of his life here…….

,…………he is Australias responsibility…

…………he has been punished…..

…………so that should be it…

………….Australia must accept the good the bad and the ugly of those that call it home…..

………….its not utopia where undesirables can be banished……

………….it must set its ounishment to fit the crimes………within its boundaries….

…………does the 50 years he gave to australia not count…?

…………where does it stop……….

…………..it is an abomnible crime……….perhaps the punishment needs amending….?

Exactly how any right minded person should see this situation.

When I read this on the news this morning I had to smile at the irony of it - the term 'habitual residence' does not apply here!

A British man spends 50 years in Oz and will be forced to leave yet my British born son spent 4 months in Oz and was deemed 'habitually resident' and couldn't leave!

Anyway, I agree with Tink.

When I read this on the news this morning I had to smile at the irony of it - the term 'habitual residence' does not apply here!

A British man spends 50 years in Oz and will be forced to leave yet my British born son spent 4 months in Oz and was deemed 'habitually resident' and couldn't leave!

Anyway, I agree with Tink.

But your son wasnt an arsonist who served a jail sentence!

But your son wasnt an arsonist who served a jail sentence!

And now that's where I see a way round this Hague Convention malarky! Get your kids to commit a crime that will involve a 12 month jail sentence - the time involved will be far quicker than the family court system that currently takes at least a couple of years, and then upon release Immigration will deport them and you save $50,000 in legal fees and can just return home with them :wink:

Why is it always the fault of everyone but themselves when someone stuffs up? 51 years is a very long time to let it sink in exactly what your status is. I know of British migrants who have lived here with PR for over 30 years and don't want to take out citizenship, that's their choice, but if the rules get changed again who's fault is it?

And now that's where I see a way round this Hague Convention malarky! Get your kids to commit a crime that will involve a 12 month jail sentence - the time involved will be far quicker than the family court system that currently takes at least a couple of years, and then upon release Immigration will deport them and you save $50,000 in legal fees and can just return home with them :wink:

Better still, just 'fit them up' for a crime. :wink:

That's what i say i'll never be, or want to be a Aussie.These people on here that have just received Aussie citizenship and say they feel so different and proud,what sad individuals they must be.I think it's disgusting they are deporting this guy after 50 years.Never trust the Aussie's i say..With Half the Country Being of convict heritage,it really shows as the Aussie's never stop ripping each other off,and dobbing each other in.

That's what i say i'll never be, or want to be a Aussie.These people on here that have just received Aussie citizenship and say they feel so different and proud,what sad individuals they must be.I think it's disgusting they are deporting this guy after 50 years.Never trust the Aussie's i say..With Half the Country Being of convict heritage,it really shows as the Aussie's never stop ripping each other off,and dobbing each other in.

So when do you got back to the UK Zack?

Don't forget that those Aussies who are ripping each other off and dobbing each other in and who have convict heritage all have British ancestry.

Archived