Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Quinkla last won the day on November 9 2015

Quinkla had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2,568 Excellent

About Quinkla

  • Rank
    quinkla quinkla

Recent Profile Visitors

882 profile views
  1. Anything older than a year is really not relevant. You have to address each of social, financial, home and relationship. Each of these can often be done with two or three pieces of evidence.
  2. You actually don't need loads of evidence if you are married, just examples of evidence that tick the boxes that are set out in the guidance notes. The piles of evidence become necessary for proving a de facto relationship where you are expected to show evidence for every month of the past year.
  3. Quinkla

    previous relationships

    They cannot prove a de facto relationship and they really aren't interested in them. The burden of proof with a de facto relationship is for the person in one to prove it exists, not that it doesn't. A former de facto relationship cannot get anyone a visa.
  4. Quinkla

    previous relationships

    They are only interested in marriages or registered relationships. Anything else can be explained as dating or house-sharing.
  5. If you are properly married and in a genuine relationship, you don't have health issues and no criminal history then there's not much point in hiring an agent. All they would do is fill in the form for you - which you have already done. If there is an issue, the case officer will give you a chance to correct it. The agents are useful when an applicant cannot cope with paperwork, has limited English language ability, where there are health or criminal issues, or when you are trying to make out that a few months of dating should count as a de facto. No idea about other visas, but I cannot believe Australia is short of policemen.
  6. Quinkla

    Kidney Transplant and Visa!!

    Waiving medical insurance doesn't make sense. You have your own answer from the migration agent who specialises in health issues. There is no point in keeping on rephrasing the question on a forum in the hope of getting an answer you like better.
  7. If your 457 expires, I think if you leave Australia you won't get back in. There are bridging visas for people who have one visa expire and await a decision on another visa - and Bridging Visa B allows travel in and out of Australia but it used to be very hard to get. In this case, it may be worth talking to a migration agent - especially if there is a gap between the 457 expiring and losing an EOI.
  8. Quinkla

    Kidney Transplant and Visa!!

    George Lombard is the agent who specialises in medical issues - if he says there is no hope then you can bet he is right. Organ transplants fail the medical test twice over - once for cost and once for use of scarce resources (likelihood of needing a repeat transplant). If the visa does not have a health waiver available, then it is just plain no. I know this will be disappointing, but George Lombard's candidness has probably saved you wasting a heap of money and time to get the same answer.
  9. If Australia has not criminalised entering/leaving Australia on a foreign passport, then it is legal to do so and you cannot be stopped if you are doing so. Personally, I do follow the advice/guidance from the Australian Government on travelling overseas. I find it saves hassle and delay. But this thread is about what happens to people who can't/won't follow this advice and the answer to that is about the law, not about guidance/authoritarian desires/what South Africa does. And incidentally, although I tend to behave quite conventionally, I will defend the right of unconventional people to exercise their full rights as given by the law and the constitution. To me, that is what embracing Australian values is all about. The state belongs to us, not vice versa.
  10. The law in South Africa is not the same as the law in Australia so that doesn't really help anyone. Australia Home Affairs (whoever they are) can say what they want, but it is only advisory. The law is interpreted by courts, not by government departments. If you can point me to legislation that empowers the Border Force to stop an Australian citizen from leaving if they don't show an Australian passport then I will happily step back. But I don't believe such a law exists.
  11. Quinkla

    Partner visa 820 granted!

    Yes, great news indeed. As Snifter says, do keep records but no need to get too anal about it. The big one is the one you have just got - now the onus would be on them after two years to prove that your partnership was not genuine and continuing.
  12. I know 99.9% of people follow the procedures set out in the advice (note: advice, not requirements). This thread was about what happens to the 0.1% of people who don't. You have spread misinformation about passports being seized and people not being allowed to leave the country. This is not based on evidence or law, it is just based on what you would like to happen. It is not helpful. And I don't agree with your characterisation of people who are acting unconventionally but within the law as point scoring or gaming the system. We are supposed to be "young and free". That means we can do what we want as long as other people aren't harmed and no laws are broken.
  13. If you read what I said, you will see that it says you would need a valid passport - but not necessarily an Australian one. A valid British passport would allow me to leave Australia and travel to the UK. Getting back to Australia would be more problematic, but that would be in terms of persuading the airline that I would be admitted to Australia in order for them to allow me to board - and it seems that DIBP does have a facility to allow airlines to check. If I managed to get to the Australian border, the border staff would have to let me in because, as a citizen, it is my right to enter. They may huff and puff about it, but they would have to take reasonable steps to satisfy themselves of my entitlement and then act upon it. Just an observation: threads like this are more useful if people comment based on law and fact, not just a sense of how they think the world ought to be.
  14. You do not need a valid Australian passport to prove your citizenship. Actually, the DIBP database will link your Australian citizenship to your overseas passport initially. A check on that passport in Vevo will show Aussie citizenship. And yes, you can rock up with an expired passport and expect to leave - although without a valid travel document for admission to the country at the far end then an airline would not give you a boarding pass.
  15. Based on what law? Australian citizens are free to leave the country whenever they want.