tough new immigration policies- Man faces deportation after 50 years in the country

Maggie2012

Yes, I agree that criminals should be dealt hard with but I think this man should be considered an Australian and although he screwed up is threatened to be deported back to the UK, the country he has left as a one year old infant with parents.

If you give 50 years of your 51 year of life to a country, you should be considered Australian citizen and not a UK citizen. He grew up here, he worked here and has a family here after all. But just seems extreme, what do you recon?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/briton-faces-deportation-after-50-years-in-australia/ar-CC2aqT?ocid=spartandhp

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't expect any sympathy from the PIO brains trust!

Yes, I agree that criminals should be dealt hard with but I think this man should be considered an Australian and although he screwed up is threatened to be deported back to the UK, the country he has left as a one year old infant with parents.

If you give 50 years of your 51 year of life to a country, you should be considered Australian citizen and not a UK citizen. He grew up here, he worked here and has a family here after all. But just seems extreme, what do you recon?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/briton-faces-deportation-after-50-years-in-australia/ar-CC2aqT?ocid=spartandhp

why would one who was brought up in OZ and lived there for 98% of his life not have become an ozzie? Send all the crims to the UK, just like they did 240 odd years ag, get rid of all the riff raff, not only foreigners but ozzies as well :cool:

Because even if he did take out aussie citizenship he ain't a REAL aussie, he can still be deported.

…………..havving lived most of his life here…….

,…………he is Australias responsibility…

…………he has been punished…..

…………so that should be it…

………….Australia must accept the good the bad and the ugly of those that call it home…..

………….its not utopia where undesirables can be banished……

………….it must set its ounishment to fit the crimes………within its boundaries….

…………does the 50 years he gave to australia not count…?

…………where does it stop……….

…………..it is an abomnible crime……….perhaps the punishment needs amending….?

………….Australia must accept the good the bad and the ugly of those that call it home…..

Cannot agree on this one tink...he was born in the UK and is British.

burnt on a stake would be ironic.........

Cannot agree on this one tink...he was born in the UK and is British.

……….but Australias responsibility..!

………he has lived all bar a tiny bit of his life here…..

……..so regardless of his nationality……

……..citezen or not..

……….he should be able to remain here….

………for those who say citezenship should be mandatory….

……….perhaps this should be enforced…?

……….but regardlass i stand by my fiest post….

……….we cannot just discard the bad in our society…….it must be dealt with here…

……….and a punishment have a time……

It is difficult to feel a great deal of sympathy for the guy. He has committed a serious crime and one that puts peoples lives or livelihoods at risk. He has also had half a lifetime in which he could have gained citizenship, registered to vote, snd participate in Australian society. For whatever reasons he did not do this.

However, I agree with Tink here. Australia has to accept that individuals who grew up in the country, were educated in Australia, become Australia's responsibility.

If he wanted to be considered an Australian Citizen why did he never apply to become one, during all those 50 years ?

My grandfather is 88, came out as an 18th month old and hasnt became an australian citizen.

He has said it was where he was born and didnt want to give it up, plus the passport made travelling around europe easier.

Ive told him that if he now knocks nana off, he will be deported, but he just claims he would die in jail here before he was let out and deported anyhow........

He wouldn't have to give anything up. Dual citizenship is allowed with UK.

But regardless if you are going to commit to living your whole life in a new country you should become a citizen.

Or risk the consequences of not doing so.

I actually agree with everything you say, for once, and ive told him before.

But its his call.

I don't think Australia has to accept responsibility for non citizens.

Do other countries ? I doubt it.

He should have become a citizen if he intended to be an Australian.

You have a point but if you live in a society all your life (from infancy) did that society influence your criminal tendencies or would you say that you are simply born with latent criminal tendencies.

Archived