Decided to escape

pomstar

I am always shocked in IT recruitment when poorer quality candidates are recruited over more suitable ones in Brisbane due to 'Mate-ship' but these relationships really matter as the person you turn down may have influence on your own position down the line ... Better to appoint a poorer candidate and protect yourself.

Why not recruit the best person - then become his mate? It's true though that 'mateship' seems to trump everything in Australia, including talent, aptitude, training or skill....

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'old boy network' was alive and well at one time in the UK. Perhaps things have changed since then. Bloody hope so.

When I think about all the net working that went on between people we knew in UK who had all gone to the "right public schools" and gave each other's children jobs, you can't tell me it's just peculiar to Australia. Also friends who left the forces, strangely getting jobs in companies where they knew another ex forces friend.

I'm sure it's bad here but the inference is that it only exists here is nonsense.

The 'old boy network' was alive and well at one time in the UK. Perhaps things have changed since then. Bloody hope so.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how much emphasis posters put on croneyism in Oz as if it 's something unique to Oz. It's the same the whole world over, always has been and always will be. No different than the line-ups in the school yards when someone has to pick a team for a game of British Bulldogs or whatever. "Sucking Up" and "looking after your own" is, IMHO, universal

If this were rife and true, how does it explain all the new migrants coming over and getting jobs. The unemployed figures would consist almost entirely of predominantly Brits.

Exactly the opposite in nursing. Health is the only real area that I have experience of, and I have many pommy acquaintances in that area and they all say that they get the distinct impression that British trained nurses receieve preferential treatment in the job stakes. Not because the interviewers were poms but because Australians (in the health sector) recognise pommy expertise and professionalism.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how much emphasis posters put on croneyism in Oz as if it 's something unique to Oz. It's the same the whole world over, always has been and always will be. No different than the line-ups in the school yards when someone has to pick a team for a game of British Bulldogs or whatever. "Sucking Up" and "looking after your own" is, IMHO, universal

Until it got banned along with other things, like snowballs:sad:

Of course, but the anti-oz brigade (we know who they are :laugh:) will never admit it.

Well no not necessary the same the world over actually. Global cities are more prone to employ on proved skills and professional attainments. The sheer nature and size would make cronyism less an issue. Not saying it can never happen because obviously it does but not to the same dimension as a city such as Perth where it is very relevant. Europeans in my experience are far more education based in employment decisions than favouritism but knowing people whom can put a good word in will obviously never go astray.

Why not recruit the best person - then become his mate? It's true though that 'mateship' seems to trump everything in Australia, including talent, aptitude, training or skill....

Because the new found 'mate' may not prove to be such a cobber after all. Just kick you in the guts and take your job, or elevated to a higher position at first given opportunity. Especially if better than person who employed them or trickier.

Well no not necessary the same the world over actually. Global cities are more prone to employ on proved skills and professional attainments. The sheer nature and size would make cronyism less an issue. Not saying it can never happen because obviously it does but not to the same dimension as a city such as Perth where it is very relevant. Europeans in my experience are far more education based in employment decisions than favouritism but knowing people whom can put a good word in will obviously never go astray.

Absolutely agree. Australian mates who have had to move down to Sydney or Melbourne for IT and change management work say the market is way different than Brisbane - Much more professional and competency based...Whilst someone putting a word in for you never hurts, chances are if you go for an interview in Melbourne your recruiter won't be best buddies with your previous manager and they will have to rely on your skills and competencies to see if you are fit for the job. Program Directors/Managers in larger cities are far more likely to have got their position on the basis of their experience and capabilities and so more capable of asking you the right questions anyhow...... the market is so small in Brisbane and you burn bridges at your peril....

Absolutely agree. Australian mates who have had to move down to Sydney or Melbourne for IT and change management work say the market is way different than Brisbane - Much more professional and competency based...Whilst someone putting a word in for you never hurts, chances are if you go for an interview in Melbourne your recruiter won't be best buddies with your previous manager and they will have to rely on your skills and competencies to see if you are fit for the job. Program Directors/Managers in larger cities are far more likely to have got their position on the basis of their experience and capabilities and so more capable of asking you the right questions anyhow...... the market is so small in Brisbane and you burn bridges at your peril....

So contrary to the oft touted emaphasis on it being an Australian trait, it's more about the size of city (anywhere)?

So contrary to the oft touted emaphasis on it being an Australian trait, it's more about the size of city (anywhere)?

I might also add that in our IT company in Brisbane competency matters a lot in interviews and people come from all over, many with few or no previous ties to Brisbane. This has been more the norm than nepotism in my career experience. Personal/professional recommendations are given some weight but seemed little different to the level of weight they were given during my IT career in the UK.

Edited by fish.01