Decided to escape

pomstar

But didn't you mention in another post that Tasmania and Spain have similar UV?

Yes they do! It's amazing how you can be completely unaware of basic facts - for some reason, I always thought that Australia and the UK were more-or-less opposites, and it was due to a chance remark by somebody a couple of weeks ago, that I actually sat down and looked at how far the two countries are from the Equator.

So in fact Tassie is about the same distance from the equator as the north of Spain. Then allowing for the angle of the earth, that means most of Europe would have lower UV than Tasmania, even though we think of places like Italy, South of France etc as being so sunny!

You might think that gives us the perfect solution - we could move to the north of Spain or Italy. Still lower UV than anywhere in Oz, handy for European travels, the lifestyle suits us - but my oh is too worried about not being able to learn the language at his age. He doesn't want to go to a British enclave on the Spanish coast either - he reckons if he doesn't like the British pub-and-football culture here, then he certainly won't like it in Benidorm.

I can't win :mad:

Edited by Marisawright

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Belgium? I lived in a lovely little village with cobbled streets about 20 mins drive from Brussels. That's where I first started to enjoy good coffee. I really missed it when I moved on. The area I lived in, people spoke a mixture of French and Dutch.

But what if you don't speak French or Dutch, like my oh? He has never learned a foreign language, he did try to learn Italian at one point (before he met me - he was dating an Italian woman) - and found it very daunting, so he doubts his ability.

But what if you don't speak French or Dutch, like my oh? He has never learned a foreign language, he did try to learn Italian at one point (before he met me - he was dating an Italian woman) - and found it very daunting, so he doubts his ability.

Most Belgians and Dutch speak very good English. I was hopeless at languages but I made a great effort to try and speak with the locals and they were so kind and sort of adopted me. They use to call me la fille Eccossaise. For some reason they were very fond of the Scots. Something to do with a Scottish regiment based near the village during the war :smile:

I was a great pub goer in my teens but rarely went to a pub after that. I agree Australia doesn't do pubs nor do NZ and the USA.

It's a such a shame really, they are fantastic places to meet and chat, we only go maybe once a week and it's usually for a meal. Unfortunately Aussie pubs went the way of American bars which is surprising in one way but not in another.

Most Belgians and Dutch speak very good English. I was hopeless at languages but I made a great effort to try and speak with the locals and they were so kind and sort of adopted me. They use to call me la fille Eccossaise. For some reason they were very fond of the Scots. Something to do with a Scottish regiment based near the village during the war :smile:

I agree, the Dutch were brilliant when we went years ago. When we tried to ask something in pigeon Dutch they would invariably say it's OK we speak English. The exact opposite to what we found in Germany.

I've just been in a bar in central Sydney tonight, great place, but it is run by my daughters partner so I'm biased, and was in The Lord Dudley pub in Paddington last night, neither of them remotely Amaricanised.

great bar and pub goer aren't I even at my advanced age.

I've just been in a bar in central Sydney tonight, great place, but it is run by my daughters partner so I'm biased, and was in The Lord Dudley pub in Paddington last night, neither of them remotely Amaricanised.

great bar and pub goer aren't I even at my advanced age.

The Lord Dudley is a good place especially in the winter when the fire is going. Balmain has a couple of good places too.

Myself and my OH are. Out every lunch and every evening when he is home. We have no trouble finding pubs or bars. He likes the pubs I like the bars with a view , no shortage of either here. Love our local Irish Bar, and if you are so inclined, there's a pub up the road with fake oak beams full of Brits. Even has roaring fires in Winter. We tend to go out rather than have people round or go to their houses especially now the youngest is 14 and doesn't want to go out with the "olds"

So in fact Tassie is about the same distance from the equator as the north of Spain. Then allowing for the angle of the earth, that means most of Europe would have lower UV than Tasmania, even though we think of places like Italy, South of France etc as being so sunny!

We actually found the sun in Tasmania to be just as strong as it is in Melbourne, which is much stronger than most of Europe.

I do love Tassie though, such a beautiful part of the world.

Is that really the case? I always felt that the UK and Ireland have quite a unique pub culture. 'Pubs' can be found in some guise or other all over the world (many run by British and Irish expats) but somewhat different to the UK.

I think you're right, I certainly don't remember any fantastic pubs on my travels around Italy, Spain and the Scandinavian countries.

Germany obviously has some amazing bier kellers but proper pubs can only be found in the British Isles.

*'pubs' like the Queen Vic in Costa Teguise don't count.

I have to Say Most people that are returning to the Uk.Used to say what you are saying, they love Australia.What baffles me your not even here yet?And you love love love Australia.Is that the Country, the way of life or the people?You May get a shock,nobody talks about the crime here,neighbor disputes is at a crisis level,drugs in schools,killings everyday.27% of kids that leave school are unemployable,they can't read or write.50% of Tasmania are i literate.It's far from Paradise what many say on this site.

I have to Say Most people that are returning to the Uk.Used to say what you are saying, they love Australia.What baffles me your not even here yet?And you love love love Australia.Is that the Country, the way of life or the people?You May get a shock,nobody talks about the crime here,neighbor disputes is at a crisis level,drugs in schools,killings everyday.27% of kids that leave school are unemployable,they can't read or write.50% of Tasmania are i literate.It's far from Paradise what many say on this site.

27% of kids that leave school cant read or write.

50% of Tasmania are "i literate".

And the source of these figures is? ???

Anyone in Tassie care to share their opinion? :biglaugh:

I think you're right, I certainly don't remember any fantastic pubs on my travels around Italy, Spain and the Scandinavian countries.

Germany obviously has some amazing bier kellers but proper pubs can only be found in the British Isles.

*'pubs' like the Queen Vic in Costa Teguise don't count.

While the British pub is indeed an institution, those still left, it is wrong to suggest fantastic places full of atmosphere and vibe don't occur in Europe. Even besides German beer kellers.

I'm not suggesting that at all, but a place being full of atmosphere and vibe doesn't make it a pub.

I think you'll find the atmosphere seeking in any number of Amsterdam bars, Paris cafes or Belgian establishments for that matter. Germany has some great alternatives. Must admit didn't find much outside of Irish pubs while in Rome ,last year though.