Decided to escape

pomstar

Are you actually interested or just fishing for something again ?

Making polite conversation with you.

I have been to Kenilworth, Edinburgh, Tower of London and Warwick the last 3 years which is more than I had been to the previous decade living in England. Tend to appreciate them more while being a tourist.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making polite conversation with you.

I have been to Kenilworth, Edinburgh, Tower of London and Warwick the last 3 years which is more than I had been to the previous decade living in England. Tend to appreciate them more while being a tourist.

OK, it's just not like you.

We have been to Warwick, Ludlow, Farleigh Hungerford and Nunney Castle in recent times.

Will just have to say here guys that Australia is the oldest continent in the world - so how can it not have any history???

The OP was referring to written history. The OP already said in the very first posting that Aboriginal History is NOT history.

Which makes no sense whatsoever but then again neither does much of this thread.

Archaeological evidence suggests that humans first arrived in Australia around 65,000 years ago. If that cannot be classed as "history", not sure what can!

The OP was referring to written history. The OP already said in the very first posting that Aboriginal History is NOT history.

Which makes no sense whatsoever...

I think you're being deliberately obtuse, JJB. You know perfectly well what a "lack of history" means in this context, members post about it here constantly.

It's obvious that wherever you are in the UK, you can't drive for half an hour without passing some historical monument or building or ruin. That can't possibly be the case in Australia - it hasn't been nearly as densely occupied by humans, so historical buildings, ruins and other artefacts are far less common.

Therefore, the UK offers much more for history-lovers than Australia. Just as Australia offers much more for a surfer than Switzerland! It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with either country, just that different people have different hobbies and interests.

Full of recovering alcoholics more like. The village is down from 7 pubs to 2. Unless everyone is fleeing the village for some reason.

Alcoholic recovering or otherwise.

That is one thing I do remember about the UK - the excessive amount of pubs in any one area.

At one time I lived in a tiny village that had four pubs. I reckon three of them must have been fronts for money laundering operations, as no idea how they all managed to stay in business.

Australian history is different, but it can still be interesting, a couple of years ago we were down Sorrento way and just stumbled across the site of the first British settlement in Port Phillip at Sullivan Bay, I love that kind of thing, I also like reading about some of the early explorers, Australia is so young, and so it's early history is so accessible, I'm now reading a book about the early days of British settlement in Tassie, it's just a shame that Australians don't appreciate their own history.

Australian history is different, but it can still be interesting, a couple of years ago we were down Sorrento way and just stumbled across the site of the first British settlement in Port Phillip at Sullivan Bay, I love that kind of thing, I also like reading about some of the early explorers, Australia is so young, and so it's early history is so accessible, I'm now reading a book about the early days of British settlement in Tassie, it's just a shame that Australians don't appreciate their own history.

It is certainly interesting, it's just that by its very nature, there's less of it. Certainly there's enough to keep a holiday-maker happy, but if you're in Australia long-term you soon run out. My oh is a real history buff, but he exhausted all that Australian history had to offer years ago (he's been in Australia for over 50 years!). It would take longer than 50 years to run out of stuff to see in the UK and Europe.

Luckily I find history pretty boring. Maybe that is why I have settled so well in Australia.

I hated it at school. Constantly droning on about King Henry, Battle of Hastings, Magna Carta and other such excitements.

I remember thinking "who cares" and "how does that help me live my life NOW".

Appreciate it a bit more now I am older.

As to sightseeing - well I prefer visiting ancient rainforests, sandstone gorges and waterfalls - to walking around stuffy grand houses looking at (usually hideous) antiques.

Luckily I find history pretty boring. Maybe that is why I have settled so well in Australia.

I hated it at school. Constantly droning on about King Henry, Battle of Hastings, Magna Carta and other such excitements.

As to sightseeing - well I prefer visiting ancient rainforests, sandstone gorges and waterfalls - to walking around stuffy grand houses looking at (usually hideous) antiques.

JJB, sometimes you open your mouth and put your foot in it - are you really meaning to imply that if anyone likes history, there must be something wrong with them?

Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean other people can't.

I could just as well make insulting comments about people who don't like history, calling them philistines and questioning their intellectual capacity!

So much more to history than cob webbed castles and stately homes. To understand the present it certainly helps to have an understanding of the past. Then what about more recent history? Ten, twenty, fifty etc years ago? Few things more important in understanding the ways of the world I'd say.

I LOVE how the OP posted HIS opinions in the MBTTUK thread and STILL gets hammered for it....ah, gotta love POI.

Not been on here for about 3-4 months and this is the first post ive read on my return.....now I know why ive been off here....OH DEAR!

Would you advocate a section in the forum for those who wish to insult the intelligence of people who choose to live in the UK though as a quid pro quo?

I LOVE how the OP posted HIS opinions in the MBTTUK thread and STILL gets hammered for it....ah, gotta love POI.

Not been on here for about 3-4 months and this is the first post ive read on my return.....now I know why ive been off here....OH DEAR!

Quite shameful but are not unexpected result. More should have came out and supported the OP regardless of whether comments concurred with own thoughts or not. The bully brigade are usually in fine form in finding a voice to attack with such posts, which of course creates angst in others to voce dissent or even support of such posts.

The end result being the OP is almost made out to be a freak.

I hope everyone here are also quick to stick up for those posting positive stories of migration or their local city when they get bashed. Sorry I mean "providing balance".

People should be free to say what they like positive or negative. But I'm surprised people actually don't think this was blatant trolling. A bit wet behind the ears perhaps?

In what way can your nation's history be YOUR history? How are you more connected to it simply because you live within a certain radius? I can feel just as connected to British/ Italian history by looking at pictures and READING. After all most of us probably live in suburbs far away from where any of these events occurred, and so still actually are physically removed in some way or another.

The landings on the moon affected us all but none of us live anywhere nearby..? Do we really need to actually visit or even glimpse the moon to believe it can be achieved?