Decided to escape

pomstar

On the vibe & atmosphere topic, I've recently learned of the concept of the 'third place', which is the location in a community where people gather (the first and second places are your home and work). They are typified by conversation being the main activity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

Clearly it is the pub in the UK & Ireland, and in continental Europe it would be a cafe, tapas bar or similar. From wikipedia: "The general store or pub and occasionally bookstore or diner are traditional variants of the concept, provided in such cases there is an emphasis on expectation of socialization, and customers are invited to stay and "hang out" with or without making any (or additional) purchases."

So based on this, what do people think is the Australian equivalent? The cafe? IMO there's less of a social aspect to this. You usually end up chatting to just who you came with. The dog park? Certainly I see lot's of people chatting to others here (although I don't own a dog). Community sports? My local football club would certainly be the closest I've come to experiencing this. I don't think the pub is, not in the UK/Irish manner. Any other examples?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the vibe & atmosphere topic, I've recently learned of the concept of the 'third place', which is the location in a community where people gather (the first and second places are your home and work). They are typified by conversation being the main activity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

Clearly it is the pub in the UK & Ireland, and in continental Europe it would be a cafe, tapas bar or similar. From wikipedia: "The general store or pub and occasionally bookstore or diner are traditional variants of the concept, provided in such cases there is an emphasis on expectation of socialization, and customers are invited to stay and "hang out" with or without making any (or additional) purchases."

So based on this, what do people think is the Australian equivalent? The cafe? IMO there's less of a social aspect to this. You usually end up chatting to just who you came with. The dog park? Certainly I see lot's of people chatting to others here (although I don't own a dog). Community sports? My local football club would certainly be the closest I've come to experiencing this. I don't think the pub is, not in the UK/Irish manner. Any other examples?

The Bowls Club?

I have to Say Most people that are returning to the Uk.Used to say what you are saying, they love Australia.What baffles me your not even here yet?And you love love love Australia.Is that the Country, the way of life or the people?You May get a shock,nobody talks about the crime here,neighbor disputes is at a crisis level,drugs in schools,killings everyday.27% of kids that leave school are unemployable,they can't read or write.50% of Tasmania are i literate.It's far from Paradise what many say on this site.

WTF does that even mean!

I understand not a word!

It could possibly be because of the Drambuie I have consumed...........but more likely due to your insane ramblings Zack.

:laugh:

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Edited to be more....well....polite!

I think you're right, I certainly don't remember any fantastic pubs on my travels around Italy, Spain and the Scandinavian countries.

Germany obviously has some amazing bier kellers but proper pubs can only be found in the British Isles.

*'pubs' like the Queen Vic in Costa Teguise don't count.

The 'pub' is a uniquely British thing, something that can't be created with the silly Irish or English themed pubs.

Remind me of the rate of closure over recent years.

I'm not talking about the rate of closure, I am talking about the number of pubs there are. In our village at one point there were 7 or 8 pubs, now there are 2 plus a pub/restaurant. In the next village there is 2 pubs. I have always said the bad pubs are closing and I'm fine with that. Ironically just down the road a closed pub has just reopened.

We actually found the sun in Tasmania to be just as strong as it is in Melbourne, which is much stronger than most of Europe.

I do love Tassie though, such a beautiful part of the world.

Yes, that's what I've just realised - whereas for some reason, I had assumed the UV index in Tassie was more like the UK. I now see it's not, so it looks like there is NO safe haven for my oh if we return to Oz. Depressing, because we've both realised the UK lifestyle doesn't suit us.

50% of Tasmania are "i literate".

Actually that figure is accurate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-19/education-experts-sound-alarm-over-tasmanian-literacy-levels/5270968

We went to Tasmania for a couple of weeks to explore the possibility of moving there. I must say the figure doesn't surprise me much, after that visit!

Tasmania is absolutely gorgeous, and there are some lovely areas with friendly educated people - but there are also too many backward inbred communities.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes, that's what I've just realised - whereas for some reason, I had assumed the UV index in Tassie was more like the UK. I now see it's not, so it looks like there is NO safe haven for my oh if we return to Oz. Depressing, because we've both realised the UK lifestyle doesn't suit us.

Even as far south as Dunedin in NZ UV rates reach up to 10 for 4 months of the year; I have just looked it up. If UV rates above 7 are not do'able for your OH it looks like the southern hemisphere is out of the question. I still believe you could find a much better lifestyle if you focussed on some of the cities in northern Britain or Ireland (Dublin perhaps).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-19/education-experts-sound-alarm-over-tasmanian-literacy-levels/5270968

We went to Tasmania for a couple of weeks to explore the possibility of moving there. I must say the figure doesn't surprise me much, after that visit!

Tasmania is absolutely gorgeous, and there are some lovely areas with friendly educated people - but there are definitely very large pockets of "boganism", if you can call it that - you know you've stumbled into one by the flannelette shirts and ugg boots.

Yes there are quite a number of people who have trouble reading and writing. Many of them left school far too soon. One of my voluntary jobs is helping one of those people. She is 14 years old and has a year old child. Parents are alcoholics and didn't care that she left school when she became pregnant to a 20 year old man. Her older sister has two children to 2 different men and is 17 years old. There is a definite element of youngsters and oldsters having literacy problems. BUT there are also many, many very well educated people around. It's just sad that so many others from a different socio economic background seem to slip through the cracks :mad:

Today a friend and I decided not to head east on our day out and instead headed in the other direction toward Cradle Mountain. What wonderful scenery - breathtaking. We had lunch at a place called Lemonthyme Lodge. Just lovely. Passed through meadows, undulating hills, forests and mountains. The road was pretty nerve racking though ....... twisty and twining with some hairpin bends! Saw some lovely waterfalls and huge tree ferns. It was a bright sunny day and 24C.

Edited by JockinTas

Even as far south as Dunedin in NZ UV rates reach up to 10 for 4 months of the year; I have just looked it up. If UV rates above 7 are not do'able for your OH it looks like the southern hemisphere is out of the question.

That doesn't surprise me - it's all to do with the earth's tilt. The southern hemisphere in summer is far closer to the sun than the northern hemisphere in its summer.

We did go "up north" last week - not convinced we'd be any happier there. The only places that have really appealed to us are Bristol and London (and thanks to the exchange rate, those are now too dear).

I would still like to investigate parts of Europe but he is so worried about not speaking the language, he won't contemplate it. I am beginning to think we'll just go back to Sydney and he can bloody well stay indoors!

I've just been in a bar in central Sydney tonight, great place, but it is run by my daughters partner so I'm biased, and was in The Lord Dudley pub in Paddington last night, neither of them remotely Amaricanised.

great bar and pub goer aren't I even at my advanced age.

Went to another great pub in Paddington tonight, The London Inn(hotel) tonight, don't laugh more of a gastro pub, had another good night out, sadly preferred it to The Dudley as it has changed hands.

Back to Sunshine Coast tomorrow, will miss my pubs as they are non existent there, but need the rest!

Tasmania is absolutely gorgeous, and there are some lovely areas with friendly educated people - but there are also too many backward inbred communities.

You'd reckon between their 2 heads they could string a sentence together.

That doesn't surprise me - it's all to do with the earth's tilt. The southern hemisphere in summer is far closer to the sun than the northern hemisphere in its summer.

We did go "up north" last week - not convinced we'd be any happier there. The only places that have really appealed to us are Bristol and London (and thanks to the exchange rate, those are now too dear).

I would still like to investigate parts of Europe but he is so worried about not speaking the language, he won't contemplate it. I am beginning to think we'll just go back to Sydney and he can bloody well stay indoors!

Really feel for you Marisa - could you maybe split your year between Australia and somewhere in Southern Europe? Essentially a holiday home to escape from the Australian summer to?

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but there are plenty of ex-pat communities in Spain/Portugal where speaking the language is by no means a requirement. Prices are very cheap at the moment as many Brits want out as the Spanish economy faltered but that's not a problem if you're retired.

Really feel for you Marisa - could you maybe split your year between Australia and somewhere in Southern Europe? Essentially a holiday home to escape from the Australian summer to?

I wish! I can't see how it would be affordable to maintain two houses (especially if one of them is in Oz!), two cars, probably two tax systems, plus international air fares every year.

oh come on. the Op is a troll. You can't claim to be cultured one minute, the say you've 'got a kid' the next.

and why does a country having a history really matter. Try living for the present day and making your own history, not dwelling on a countries worth. If it has some ruins or not.

History is very important, I love the history in this country. I love the fact that the village we live in is more than 1000 years old, I love that we can go to 600 year old castles.

Which Castles have you been to recently?