Decided to escape

pomstar

Debatable?.....why are they debatable.....they are facts that are widely available for everyone to read.....I think its always beneficial to be in possession of the facts before going to print.....mind you all the that sensationalising is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.

I'm not "asserting" anything.

"Debatable".....or....."not in dispute"......make your mind up.....

UV8 has been recorded but if it helps you to understand the point being made in my post I have edited the line that has caused offence to you.

Because the sun did not feel hot on the skin it was easy to forget sun protection when gardening or out walking but the UV index could be 6 or 7 which is plenty enough for serious sunburn.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst sunburn has occurred on bright spring days in the UK, where starved of sunshine I'd go on long walks by the sea or out on boats without sensible precautions. Because it is so hot here I don't venture out at any time without sun block, I stay in the shade, I wear rash suits when swimming and don't dash out meercat like at the first rays of summer to bask..... I have very few wrinkles despite being an old fart and a historical love of hot places... The worst sun intensity I experienced was in Christchurch in January. God knows what's happened to the ozone layer down there, but the sun came out from behind the clouds and it was like someone had pressed an iron against your face.....

My worst sunburn has occurred on bright spring days in the UK, where starved of sunshine I'd go on long walks by the sea or out on boats without sensible precautions. Because it is so hot here I don't venture out at any time without sun block, I stay in the shade, I wear rash suits when swimming and don't dash out meercat like at the first rays of summer to bask..... I have very few wrinkles despite being an old fart and a historical love of hot places... The worst sun intensity I experienced was in Christchurch in January. God knows what's happened to the ozone layer down there, but the sun came out from behind the clouds and it was like someone had pressed an iron against your face.....

Yep, New Zealand and Tasmania too. All the locals warned me about the ozone layer.

So, regardless of the UV index numbers (which are debatable but I cannot be bothered) you are surely not asserting that there is no danger of sunburn in the UK in May/June when you have a cool sunny day - or are you?

UV indexes are much higher in Oz, that is not in dispute, but the temperatures are normally higher and the sun 'feels' much hotter making you more likely to become aware that your skin is burning.

The ONLY time I have ever had sunburn was in Scotland when I was about 10. My nose and shoulders caught the worst of it. Never had sunburn here but then I never lay out in the sun and always take precautions. I tan very easily though. It must be awful for folk who have problems the heat etc.

UV8 has been recorded but if it helps you to understand the point being made in my post I have edited the line that has caused offence to you.

Because the sun did not feel hot on the skin it was easy to forget sun protection when gardening or out walking but the UV index could be 6 or 7 which is plenty enough for serious sunburn.

You carry on......edit/change what you like.....lets not let a few hard facts get in the way of your story telling......

Our home here has a large outdoor, totally covered deck where we sit outside at some point every day in the shade. In the UK we had a wholly exposed patio and few homes have covered decks....

In the UK I would observe that unless it was a hot day (25C plus) most patrons in pubs and cafes would happily seek out tables with no shade at all.

The point others are trying to make is that despite this behaviour, and despite the fact that Australians are far more careful about sun exposure, rates of skin cancer in Oz are still dramatically higher. So even with all the precautions Aussies take, the risk is still higher than taking no precautions in the UK.

Not that it is likely to affect you. Skin cancer is much more common in older people, but it's usually the result of damage received during childhood (which is why Australian parents are now so paranoid about exposing their kids to the sun). So it takes many years to develop, which means you'll probably be fine, unless you're planning to live to 100!

And I'm sure you're aware that sunburn is not an indicator, it is possible to get a dangerous level of exposure without burning, especially if you're wearing sunscreen.

Edited by Marisawright

The point others are trying to make is that despite this behaviour, and despite the fact that Australians are far more careful about sun exposure, rates of skin cancer in Oz are still dramatically higher. So even with all the precautions Aussies take, the risk is still higher than taking no precautions in the UK.

Not that it is likely to affect you. Skin cancer is much more common in older people, but it's usually the result of damage received during childhood (which is why Australian parents are now so paranoid about exposing their kids to the sun). So it takes many years to develop, which means you'll probably be fine, unless you're planning to live to 100!

And I'm sure you're aware that sunburn is not an indicator, it is possible to get a dangerous level of exposure without burning, especially if you're wearing sunscreen.

The problem Australia may be having with skin cancer rates must therefore stem from the way their young people behaved in the sun decades ago. I did my share of sunbathing when I was younger and rarely used adequate protection so I may be at risk from that behaviour. Few did in the last century in whatever country though Australia were I believe actively promoting sun protection before the UK did.

I suppose the only way to assess if the precautions being taken by parents in Oz in the 21st century will have benefits is to look at skin cancer rates 20-30 years from now and see if they decline both in real terms and relative to countries like the UK.

The problem Australia may be having with skin cancer rates must therefore stem from the way their young people behaved in the sun decades ago.

You are right, but the results should be becoming visible by now, I'd say. The message was already very widespread when I arrived in Australia 30 years ago.

The problem in Australia is that there is NO safe level of exposure once the UV index gets above 11, even with sunscreen on - so unless you keep kids out of the sun altogether during the day in summer, they're at risk. As the Aussie TV ads say, "a tan is a sign of skin in crisis".

I agree you do have to keep it in proportion - in a perfect world no one would die of anything before their time, and if you avoided every possible risk you'd have a pretty boring, miserable life.

Not easy to think about the benefits when it feels like your skin is on fire.

That's what my oh used to say, and it always used to puzzle me, because he has olive skin - while he used to go red for a few hours after sun exposure, he has never ever burned, so it seemed strange that he was always complaining about the sun "burning".

Then he had his skin cancer and had to see the dermatologist - who told him he's allergic to the sun, that's why it feels like his skin is "on fire"!

As I have stated keep the benefits of sunlight with regards to good health under consideration. Being aware of skin cancer is fine but not to the point of total angst of exposing skin to sunshine.

Very true - there are children in Australia now with rickets, due to the over-zealous avoidance of sunlight.

I would get prickly heat on the fourth straight day of exposure to the sun anywhere I went. It rarely happened in England as 4 straight days of being out in the full sun was rare, even when it was nice I'd be sat in an office, but on our annual and bi annual trips to Europe etc it happened every time no matter how much sun cream I used. It was really bad in a The Gambia and my face swelled up and looked like I been boxing.

It has never ever happened here, not once. I have absolutely no idea why?

I would get prickly heat on the fourth straight day of exposure to the sun anywhere I went. It rarely happened in England as 4 straight days of being out in the full sun was rare, even when it was nice I'd be sat in an office, but on our annual and bi annual trips to Europe etc it happened every time no matter how much sun cream I used. It was really bad in a The Gambia and my face swelled up and looked like I been boxing.

It has never ever happened here, not once. I have absolutely no idea why?

Ouch, that sounds unpleasant.

The only time I ever had a problem in Europe was on a uni hockey tour in Spain, four days of being too drunk to remember sunscreen top ups left me rather red.

Very true - there are children in Australia now with rickets, due to the over-zealous avoidance of sunlight.

I know. Shocking isn't it? Can't be think for themselves without becoming all radical in their reading of government health messages? I suppose that is part and parcel of the general over protection of kids these days.

Allergic to the sun!! :chatterbox:

Does that just effect him here in Oz or back in the Uk too?

It's the main reason we moved back to the UK, and it was great to see him out in the sun during the summer! He wears sunscreen and a hat, and in the weaker UK sun that's enough to keep his skin comfortable.

Unfortunately we're not happy here. He's Australian and though I'm a Brit, I've realised that I've become an Aussie during my 30 years there and don't feel at home in the UK any more. So we're faced with a tough decision - will it be Tasmania???

It's the main reason we moved back to the UK, and it was great to see him out in the sun during the summer! He wears sunscreen and a hat, and in the weaker UK sun that's enough to keep his skin comfortable.

Unfortunately we're not happy here. He's Australian and though I'm a Brit, I've realised that I've become an Aussie during my 30 years there and don't feel at home in the UK any more. So we're faced with a tough decision - will it be Tasmania???

But didn't you mention in another post that Tasmania and Spain have similar UV?