PR dilemma! WHV at the moment. Is 3 a crowd?

FutureAussie2015

I think it would be very, very dangerous to make any decisions based on what people tell you on a forum. You say you've already talked to an agent - the easiest solution to your problem is to go back to that agent and say, "there's one more question I forgot to ask", and ask it.

Just make sure the agent is a MARA registered agent, there are a lot of shonks around who will tell you what you want to hear, not what the reality is.

Absolutely what I was wondering when OP said an online agent. Hope they are registered.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The op hasn't said how long they have already been on their WHV?

I have no idea how long it takes to qualify for and lodge a visa application? but has crossed my mind have they got enough time to to do this before the first year runs out?

Otherwise will have to do their 3 months rural work, again have they enough time to do this, if they need more time with a 2nd year one, might not be fun if pregnant, or you might not qualify for an extra year if pregnant?

Also should they need extra points from taking the IELTS test, there is often a lengthy wait for the test.

Also should they get issued with a bridging visa A, it doesn't come into effect till the WHV ends.

all things to be considered by the op.

Should definitely take advice from a Mara registered agent, rather than relying on advice from a forum.

I may be wrong but I thought the bridging visa would not take effect until the WHV expires - and 'expires', not'gets cancelled'. In which case the plan wouldn't work as the WHVs would be cancelled once there is a dependent child.

Even if they were lucky enough to get bridging visas though, not sure what visa the baby would be on? And the birdging visas usually have the same restrictions as the original visa - they could apply for full work rights on grounds of hardship but I'm not sure they'd get them.

As for medical costs, even people on R often say that not everything is covered, so to rely on a reciprocal medicare arrangement sounds a bit dodgy to me.

I'd be going for PR first, keep it simple! Then get pregnant and have the baby in Australia and its a citizen straightaway.

First of all, a skilled visa takes months to get granted, if not years. Second, you don't know what rights you will be given on a BV. No matter what the agent says, what matters is what you actually get from immigration.

Countless stories here of people who said "Oh, but my agent said..." and then something did not go as planned.

You really want to be on a BV for so much time, knowing that you might, for any reason, get a negative outcome and having to leave in 28 days? While you have a baby?

If you guys have the money (lucky you!) to support 3 people with just 1 job (I doubt you'll find a good paying job while you are evidently pregnant), pay a skilled visa application for 2/3 people, pay rent and cost of living for three etc., manage to get a positive skill assessment, medical for you two and IELTS (AND all the other documents required), all of this while far from home and, I guess as all us expats here, no help from the family... go ahead then! But if even one of these conditions does not apply to you, then I would consider that you are putting yourself in the condition of being responsible for a child, not just yourself.

You're in Aus on a WHV and thinking about having kids.:swoon: It's hard enough when you are settled, know where you want to be, have decent pretty well paid jobs, that you can afford to say by by to one of them for a while and somewhere to live that you are settled in.

Kids are expensive, hard work and can lead to very good relationships breaking down, even when you thing things are going great. Kids change your life and both parents have to be ready to accept the changes.

I wouldn't recommend it.

One thing that you don't seem to have considered, what if you or the baby have medical issues meaning that you wouldn't pass the medical?

When I was pregnant I had a load of problems with my kidneys, never having had any before. I was very close to needing surgery. It's causing my problems now a year later just getting life insurance!

I have been in the exact situation of being on a temporary visa and feeling like time is running out to have a baby (and I'm older than you are). I struggled to wait, but I did, and I'm so glad I did. First off, pregnancy is a horribly worrying time. There are so many things you start realising could go wrong. Having the extra stress of something going wrong then also affecting your ability to stay would be terrible. Also, you'd get no maternity leave, no family benefits. If you get a job, apply for pr and then start trying once you have done your full medicals, then it you get pr before the baby comes you can get that help meaning you can stay home and enjoy that time so much more easily. You can also get rent assistant once you have pr and a baby.

Having a baby is the best thing I've ever done, but being in visa limbo is one of the hardest. I urge you to wait just a few months.

I'm pretty certain from reading through this thread that the OP is already pregnant and desperately trying to find a way to stay whilst convincing herself she has a master plan! If that is the case then good luck if you manage to pull it off. But as someone else mentioned, if you manage to line everything up, and things are looking rosy but your child (heaven forbid) is born with medical problems that would lead to a failed medical then you've wasted your time and money.

If you're not already with child then keep practicing at getting pregnant by all means, twice a day if you're lucky, but use contraception. See out the rest of your WHV then head off back home, have your child and apply for PR.

Your original post and certainly your replies to some comments makes me think you're not ready for parenthood just yet anyway.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Unfortunately not already pregnant. No we don't need to take the IELTS test as we are both UK citizens with masters degrees and we also have 75 points. By the sound of it, in theory there is nothing stopping us apart from it being more practical if we waited. Also, we wouldn't be desperately trying to stay, we still own a home in the UK so of it didn't work out we would just leave. Honestly don't understand the people that are saying go home have a baby then apply for PR offshore, why would we do that when we have the opportunity to apply onshore and have enough money to support ourselves, doesn't make sense. Finally, in your opinion, if having a sense of humour determines readiness of parenthood I hope you aren't a mother or never become a mother with such a judgemental and negative demeanour.

Unfortunately not already pregnant. No we don't need to take the IELTS test as we are both UK citizens with masters degrees and we also have 75 points.

Sounds like you have calculated your points incorrectly, even if include partner points without IELTS the max points you could get if you have 8 years work experience would be 65.

Sounds like you have calculated your points incorrectly, even if include partner points without IELTS the max points you could get if you have 8 years work experience would be 65.

My husband has 11 years in his trade with the same employer and that is the trade we gain the points on. He did a Masters Degree through the open University part-time just out of an interest in a certain subject. You've ASSUMED he's graduated at 22 then at most he must have 8 years experience in the job because of the 30 years age restraint of the WHV, sounds like you've judged incorrectly. Anyway, this is getting boring now, I've researched everything I need to know, time to get the ball rolling. Good luck for the future guys!

My husband has 11 years in his trade with the same employer and that is the trade we gain the points on. He did a Masters Degree through the open University part-time just out of an interest in a certain subject. You've ASSUMED he's graduated at 22 then at most he must have 8 years experience in the job because of the 30 years age restraint of the WHV, sounds like you've judged incorrectly. Anyway, this is getting boring now, I've researched everything I need to know, time to get the ball rolling. Good luck for the future guys!

if the 11 years is after a formal three to four year apprenticeship then you are find but if there is no apprenticeship then 3-4 years will be removed from his experience. Now some people start apprenticeships at 15 so it's possible you are fine but don't in you own case be judgemental to the people on the forum. Not telling the full story and then giving out breadcrumbs of information means people have to make generalised assumptions.

You have not researched correctly. And will lose your whole application fee for over estimating your points which where is no refunds.

Maximum points for overseas work experience is 15 points, since it's a trade qualification DIBP state only post qualification work experience will be accepted, and if trade is through an apprenticeship 5 years work experience will be deducted.

There is no double points for having a trade and a degree, and as his degree is in an unrelated subject to the occupation he is applying for the degree will also require to be assessed to prove that it is at the same standard as an Australian qualification, which not all open university qualifications are.

Unfortunately not already pregnant. No we don't need to take the IELTS test as we are both UK citizens with masters degrees and we also have 75 points. By the sound of it, in theory there is nothing stopping us apart from it being more practical if we waited. Also, we wouldn't be desperately trying to stay, we still own a home in the UK so of it didn't work out we would just leave. Honestly don't understand the people that are saying go home have a baby then apply for PR offshore, why would we do that when we have the opportunity to apply onshore and have enough money to support ourselves, doesn't make sense. Finally, in your opinion, if having a sense of humour determines readiness of parenthood I hope you aren't a mother or never become a mother with such a judgemental and negative demeanour.

No, they're not actually saying that if you look carefully. What they are saying is do one thing then the other. If you don't want to return and think you have enough points then apply, don't faff about but wait until you have PR before getting pregnant. Any possible medical complications could cause you much grief because you may not be covered by the reciprocal agreement - and does your WHV insurance cover pregnancy? If you're only looking at a few months delay then better safe than sorry.

Please do try not to be dismissive of people who are offering the best advice they can based on the incomplete information you provided at the time. They do it out of the goodness of their heart and use their wealth of experience, they don't deserve snide remarks

The fact doesn't change because you keep banging the same drum, if you have a child that is ill and fails a medical then your PR application will be rejected. I hope I never become a mother too, it would be losing a part of my body I'm rather attached to!! Just because you have a house, a degree and in your words, money doesn't mean you're ready for being a responsible parent. The fact that you come on her asking people you don't know for their honest advice, then proceed to tell them they're all wrong and you are far superior than they are, is another sign that you're not. Humility is a great trait that usually comes with maturity, maybe one day eh?

Finally, in your opinion, if having a sense of humour determines readiness of parenthood I hope you aren't a mother or never become a mother with such a judgemental and negative demeanour.

I will gently point out that many of us are parents, in my case a mother of 3 grown up children, and most of the,posts,including mine, which I wrote as I would have to my daughter, have been out of concern for your plans, welfare and that of your as yet unconceived child.

I have been a member of PIO for a long time, have seen more helpful advice given than I can remember, but will again point,out that if a poster takes offence at the advice given, rather than accepting it for what it is ie. advice from regular posters who are trying to help, then you are going to lose out in the long term.

So please take the advice on board, ask any more questions in a civil manner, be prepared to apologise, and check that you definitely have enough points to apply for immigration, and that you are eligible for a bridging visa should you become pregnant.

Wish you all the best.

There's nothing to prevent you from lodging a PR visa while here in Australia, however I'd suggest you run your situation past a migration agent to ensure you've calculated your points correctly. Getting 75 points without claiming anything for English would be incredibly difficult, and over-claiming points can be an expensive error.

Whether or not to go ahead with a baby is a personal decision that only you and your husband can make. Some people have offered suggestions based on their experiences, but if those cautions don't concern you, then you can disregard them of course.

Can we not just close the thread since the OP is now bored and requires no further assistance.

ps: I hope your boredom threshold is higher given the lengthy steps with obtaining PR.

Moving away from the baby issue a bit here, and I know the op didn't ask for help with PR application but.......

It might be helpful to say what occupation they are hoping to apply on and how they have calculated points, just so any further comments are based on solid information.

A number of trades are on the flagged list for 15/16 sol so applying sooner is a good plan.

The problem with many on line points calculators is they end up giving the wrong result. Even on the border force site, unless you understand the current rules (and they change all the time!) it is easy to slip up.

If you use an agent please ensure they are MARA registered, any that post on here are good.

All advice is well intentioned but unless we have the full information then we can only speculate, people on here have seen many tales of people who have slipped up with applications for many reasons and genuinely want to prevent other people from doing the same.

I apologise for our concern.

I decided not to waste further time on this poster because of all the insulting responses to people, but what the hell.

What at exactly is tripping you up here? You would both become illegal the moment you have a baby on a WHV. Bridging visas often have the same conditions. The baby would be completely visaless. The baby would not be Australian but would only be British by descent, not British. Your medical care will have limitations. None of this bothers you?

Not to mention that the ethos of a WHV is to enjoy life and have fun, not settle down and have children. Why are you getting offended because people more mature and with more life experience than you are suggesting you pause and think.

Well as has been said, your research is wrong. So your first visa application is going to be declined and then that leaves the three of you here visaless or on the emergency visa, probably barred from applying again onshore. A bit of a pickle that could be easily avoided, but only if your arrogance allows to you consider that other people might know something you don't.

And probably you should not assume what other people are assuming. Having 11 years work experience is no different to having 8 when it comes to visa points. And I wouldn't bank on gettting points for a masters if there is no first degree underlying it. Still even with maximum points for work expeirence and degree level qualification, you still can't get 75 without IELTS or similar. Perhaps you are assuming because you are English, have a masters, money and a skill that you would get the points for being English anyway. Wrong assumption again.

I have just read through this thread and I am amazed at the childish, immature and insolent attitude of the OP towards all of you lovely helpful PIOers! She obviously feels very superior to everyone else with her Masters Degree and money in the bank, so perhaps you should all just stop trying to advise her and let her carry on in her own sweet way. I do hope that she learns some humility in a hurry though or she is not going to be very popular with her current "I want it and I shall have it" attitude. Well done PIOers for keeping your cool and remaining polite in the face of such rudeness.

Just spoke to our agent we have 65 without the IELTS. If we scored sufficient english we would have 75 points, if we scored superior english we would have 85 points :) 25-32 = 30 points! 8-10 years in his trade post = 20 points, trade qualifications = 10 points, wife with a job on SOL = 5 points so 65 points without IELTS! 75 if he scores proficient english, 85 for superior english. As you can see we are well entitled to a PR application! I think we'll even go ahead without sitting the IELTS, or maybe just get the extra points because we can ;)

I like all the answers just thought someone on here would be able to answer the question for us. I suppose the majority of people emigrating are in a different situation where they don't have the opportunity to go over as a young couple on a WHV and also have the skills/savings to apply for PR whilst onshore in order to stay. I know how fortunate we are and it would be more sensible to apply for PR then have a baby but why not kill two birds with one stone if it's possible?

Well until recent times WHV were here for that reason and expected to return home. Hence few would have managed this apart from recent years. Hopefully a return to saner times will return. Why not get established first? Two birds with one stone really.

I have just read through this thread and I am amazed at the childish, immature and insolent attitude of the OP towards all of you lovely helpful PIOers! She obviously feels very superior to everyone else with her Masters Degree and money in the bank, so perhaps you should all just stop trying to advise her and let her carry on in her own sweet way. I do hope that she learns some humility in a hurry though or she is not going to be very popular with her current "I want it and I shall have it" attitude. Well done PIOers for keeping your cool and remaining polite in the face of such rudeness.

A bit all too common I'm afraid. Immigration really needs to be taken under control in this country. Road to ruin.

Archived