Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Neutral

About GetMeDownUnder

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I don't think he is that committed
  2. Hi, We have a 189 Visa and lived in Oz for over 3 years (2015-2018) before returning for family health reasons. Our 5 year transit period has now elapsed and I am unsure how best to proceed. We will be living in the UK for the short-medium term to assist with care for parents. I believe that I could apply for an RRV now as we satisfy the requirement of 2 years out of the previous 5. However, if we ended up having to stay longer then I wouldn't want to jeopardise not being able to obtain another RRV if we had failed to permanently return before the RRV expired. I have tried to read up but cannot work out if applying now is seen as a positive thing by immigration, or poor because we won't use it to settle back in oz at the moment. Can anybody please advise on the best way to keep our ability to return at some point? As a side note, if I wish to return for a few weeks to see friends / colleagues / have a holiday, would the full RRV be the only sensible visa option anyway? And finally, if we left it a few years and ended up not satisfying the right for an RRV then how would we even get back in the country for a holiday? Any advice appreciated
  3. Thanks for your help I tried the immiaccount last night but it didn't let me update. In any case, a surname change automatically stops you from doing it online. I received my callback and the guy told me that I need an RRV even though I am 2.5 years into my PR. I was very confused. He sent me an email which confirms that RRV is only required after 5 years of PR so I don't trust anything that I was told. I think that I will just go down to the local Sydney office and stick it out in a queue and hope they can resolve it for me.
  4. Thanks. I don't know how to lodge it online as it opens a PDF I tried calling them but only have the generic 131881 number and am waiting 1 hour + for a callback. Will update when I get further.
  5. Thanks for the reply. I believe she still has her old passport and this sounds like a good backup plan Hopefully I can get through to them tomorrow and they can clarifiy the situation.
  6. HI all, We arrived in Australia 2.5 years ago on a 189 PR and will be flying back for a holiday in 36 hours. I tried to check in online for your flight but my the system rejected it stating "We are unable to complete check-in for the following passenger(s): A valid visa is required for entry. Check that the passenger details given in the booking match with the visa details, or proceed to the airport check-in counter for travel document verification" I suddenly realised that she now has a new passport and her surname has also changed. ImmiOnline only opens form 929 and I am now fairly concerned as to the repercussions involved. The passport has yet to be used anywhere in the world, Can we leave Australia with her new passport even if it isn't yet linked to her Visa. We could then relax knowing her details will be updated during the 3 weeks that we are away. Or do I need to rush to a DIBP building and ask them to update her passport details tomorrow? (And presumably they may want her there too - she will be at work). I will call them first thing but I am hoping that somebody may have some understanding in the interim. Thanks
  7. As per the previous thread.. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255746 MoneyCorp sent us an email asking us to pay AUD to a new account which is in the UK. We therefore have to make an international payment (which costs us $20 AUD with WestPac). MoneyCorp advised that they will refund the charge but WestPac also advise that MoneyCorp will charge the recipient if I send AUD. Will WestPac credit my account with the full amount and take all the hit or will I lose out somehow (in which case better to go elsewhere in the future)? e.g.. If I send $1000 AUD then WestPac will charge me $20 international. I assume Barclays or WestPac will then charge a poor conversion rate or fee for MoneyCorp to receive into their UK Barclays account. Will I receive $1000 in my MoneyCorp account? Also, the original email (below) mentions "Do you normally send money to us by debit card or direct debit? Then you don’t need to do anything other than enjoy your free transfer fees. You can continue to send funds to your moneycorp account in the same way you’re used to." Is this an alternative method that I can use which would be simpler all round and would I still see the $1000 AUD in my MoneyCorp account? Thanks Response from WestPac below.. The banking details provided to you for the AUD transfer is correct, the transfer will need to be made as a international bank transfer sending AUD and not as a local bank transfer. Your bank may charge you a transfer fee and if there is a fee charge providing the sufficient proof of charge we will refund the amount to your Moneycorp account. Original email below.. [TABLE=width: 540, align: center] [TR] [TD]As part of our ongoing commitment to provide our customers with great rates and the best possible service, we are making some changes to the way you will send your Australian dollars to our account. What does this mean for me? When you send us Australian dollars from now on, you’ll simply need to instruct your bank to send them to our new account details. We’ve included these new details below to make life easier for you. Our old Australian dollar account will close on 15 December 2016. If you have these details saved with your bank, please remember to change them before this date. Why not contact your bank right away, or login to your online banking and update the account? Don't forget - if you have given our Australian dollar account details to anyone else who might send funds to your moneycorp international payments account, please remember to let them know too. Our new Australian dollar account details[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE=width: 540, align: center] [TR] [TD][TABLE=width: 340, align: left] [TR] [TD][TABLE=width: 340, align: left] [TR] [TD]Bank:[/TD] [TD]Barclays Bank[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Account name:[/TD] [TD]TTT Moneycorp Ltd AUD Client Safeguarding[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Sort code:[/TD] [TD]20-06-05[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Account number:[/TD] [TD]53340000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Swift code:[/TD] [TD]BARCGB22[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]IBAN:[/TD] [TD]GB52 BARC 2006 0553 3400 00[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 100%][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD][TABLE=width: 600, align: center] [TR] [TD=align: center][TABLE=width: 540, align: center] [TR] [TD=width: 100%][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Please remember to always quote your personal CK reference number when sending funds to us so we can allocate them quickly to your account. You can find this reference, along with any of our currency account details online, on our new app, or by calling our team on the number below. Our new app is available on iPhone and iPod touch, download it today. Free transfer fees To say thank you for continuing to be a valued customer, we are removing the transfer fees for all of your future personal transfers! So now you can save even more money on your international transfers. Do you normally send money to us by debit card or direct debit? Then you don’t need to do anything other than enjoy your free transfer fees. You can continue to send funds to your moneycorp account in the same way you’re used to.[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]
  8. GetMeDownUnder

    Moral dilemma: To go to a funeral or not..

    Where do you draw the line? If you have a number of older friends / relatives then it is possible that you will have a few of these decisions to make. If you go to this one then other people will take it very badly if you miss a different funeral even if it is not practical for you (costs / time etc).
  9. GetMeDownUnder

    Where to buy?

    I am sure that the OP has tried local food. It doesn't mean that they cannot miss junk food from home that they would like now and again. Should I not watch the Premier League now as there is soccer in Australia? Local IGA's (larger ones) have random British stuff (my wife was delighted to find Polo's the other week). The Reject Shop has recently been importing Cadburys (e.g. 4 x Wispa / Double Decker/ Flake / Dairy Milk etc etc) for $3. There are a few online places but each wants a good profit out of you and from my very limited experience it arrives on its best before date and not fresh. Who wants to pay triple price for something that doesn't even taste right. I am on the lookout for Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup for my wife. She has tried all kinds but that is still her preference.
  10. GetMeDownUnder

    Entering depreciation report into MyTax for UK property

    Thank you Ken, it is great to get some free advice . I had already phoned ATO / MyTax who didnt seem to have a clue and eventually told me to just do a paper application instead. I then phoned ETax (the private company) who advised me to roll it up into "Net Foreign Rent" which I did last night. It is great to know that you agree I also made an adjustment to that field for last-year as I now had the depreciation schedule figures for 2014-15. I tested it yesterday and it showed I would be due an extra refund. However when I logged back in a day later and input for real it said the difference was 0 (but said it was an estimate only). Very strange. I lodged it anyway and will see what happens and query if necessary.
  11. GetMeDownUnder

    Entering depreciation report into MyTax for UK property

    Hi. I asked Washington Browne who wanted to charge about $1500 for the schedule. I then asked http://www.depreciator.com.au/ who charged $550. Depreciator do use the correct surveyors but did not visit my home. I guess that means that they may miss something that could be depreciated (they give you a checklist of items for each room and ask on cost etc etc) and your depreciation schedule could potentially be lower which may add up to more than the $1000 difference over the years. I was happy with depreciator and had my results in under 2 weeks. My UK 3 bed house was bought 7 years ago and my depreciation for this year was over $10'000 AUD.
  12. Hi, Thank you in advance to anybody who has completed this previously. The depreciation schedule for our UK home has been completed and I am unsure where to enter the info in MyTax. Until now I have been able to complete the tax return myself and I am hoping to avoid seeing the accountant for something that is so quick. I am confused whether I should be looking at the Foreign Income section or the Deductions section. Can I just include it in the "Deductible Expenses" field in the Foreign Rental Income section? Or does it need to go elsewhere (there are more fields for Australian rental income but I obviously cannot put it there. (Or do I need to split Low Value Pool, Depreciating Assets and Building Allowance into different places? Thanks
  13. GetMeDownUnder

    Scope of work for dad aged 55?

    Getting a job at 55 is hard. Getting a job with new qualifications is hard. Getting a job in a new country is hard. Combining all those things makes it very hard
  14. GetMeDownUnder

    ACS Assessment System Administrator

    Did you put your duties when you were a software engineer? No doubt they considered this occupation to not be closely related to the System Administrator code that you applied under. (it is a different job after all). They therefore removed 4 years of your actual System Administrator experience (which would suggest that they deemed your degree or equivalent to be IT Minor?) (all from memory). They probably gave you IT Minor because only 2 modules in your course related to Database Design?
  15. GetMeDownUnder

    PTE Disaster

    Look at the positive. . At least you got a bit more real world exam preparation.