Parents in 50s concerned about emigrating to auz

Fosh

You cannot get Australian citizenship just by having an Australian husband and there is no way your parents can move with you. They would be at least three and a half years behind you as you would not be able to sponsor them for two years and then their visa would take about eighteen months.

I would suggest they use that first two years for visiting for as long as they can manage and on one hand perhaps they will adapt and get used to the distance. On the other hand it will be a good opportunity for them to weigh up whether Australia might be for them, I agree with the first response on this thread, that they need to be migrating for themselves and not solely for a grandchild.

Finding work is going to be hard for a (by then) person in mid 50s who has never worked in Australia before and I wouldn't even be so sure about your mother either. If they do decide Australia is for them, it might make more sense to put this off until retirement or semi retirement.

I never said I was granted a visa solely on my husband being australian, I was simply explaining my husband is australian and that my visa was not a working visa. I am on my second stage I applied for my visa 3 years ago.

time is not an issue, I never said my parents were to move immediately.

My my mother is extremely qualified, I spoke to my friend who is a recruitment agent in Australia and she is absolutely sure she will have no issues. So maybe it's not for you to give advice on if people may or may not get jobs unless you are fully aware of their qualifications and experience as you may put others off the move without understanding their capabilities for further reference.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6) not concerned about my husband having a full UK visa we have been married a long time and we can return when we wish, I hardly think they will close the boarder to young working people with a genuine relationship.

Yes they will, and do. I strongly suggest you look into the requirements for a spouse visa, should you ever want to return. I recently returned to the UK with my husband of 10 years. The fact that we'd been together for so long meant nothing: all couples have to meet certain financial requirements, and those keep going up and up and up, so who knows what they might be in the future when you might want to return.

Do some Googling and you'll find many young (and old) couples, desperate to return to the UK to look after aged parents or for their children's education or some other reason, and yet they are unable to do so because they can't meet the financial requirements. And some of them have been married for twenty years!

Good point, regardless of whether they can get travel insurance or not, there will come a time when they're too frail to face the long haul flight. And if they delay emigrating till then, they're likely to find they fail the medicals or that the financial requirements are even worse than they are now (the trend is always up!).

I do hope the OP's husband gets his UK citizenship sorted out so that they are able to return to the UK later, in case the parents can't migrate. It would be a great shame if both sides were stranded in separate countries for good.

why would we be stranded for good? People move between counties all the time. We both work and are paid a good salary, we have a genuine committed relationship. The UK are hardly going to close the boarders!! To say something like this is completely without merit and makes no sense. My husbands parents are in Australia and mine are in the uk. We took a decision to live in the best country for us as a new family. Australia is our choice, we have no reason to move back to the UK. We have a home in Australia.

5) the only social activities my parents need is vineyards - they love wine

Now THAT sounds like my perfect retirement! :)

And there is some good wine areas here.

I have never been but have heard that Margaret River in Western Australia has a beautiful lifestyle for people living there permanently.

I particularly love Margaret River wines too.

Yes they will, and do. I strongly suggest you look into the requirements for a spouse visa, should you ever want to return. I recently returned to the UK with my husband of 10 years. The fact that we'd been together for so long meant nothing: all couples have to meet certain financial requirements, and those keep going up and up and up, so who knows what they might be in the future when you might want to return.

Do some Googling and you'll find many young (and old) couples, desperate to return to the UK to look after aged parents or for their children's education or some other reason, and yet they are unable to do so because they can't meet the financial requirements. And some of them have been married for twenty years!

I'm from a strong financial background. I do not need to worry re visa costs ect. People shouldn't move to Australia if they have financial concerns. My sons education is paid for. I have a house in Australia and the UK. I have no financial worries.

Now THAT sounds like my perfect retirement! :)

And there is some good wine areas here.

I have never been but have heard that Margaret River in Western Australia has a beautiful lifestyle for people living there permanently.

I particularly love Margaret River wines too.

Finally someone with a nice sense of humour!! :) they do love wine! We have a vineyard practicsllt next door to us too! They wil love it!

why would we be stranded for good? People move between counties all the time. We both work and are paid a good salary, we have a genuine committed relationship. The UK are hardly going to close the boarders!! To say something like this is completely without merit and makes no sense. My husbands parents are in Australia and mine are in the uk. We took a decision to live in the best country for us as a new family. Australia is our choice, we have no reason to move back to the UK. We have a home in Australia.

Yes, but what if your parents fail their medicals and are unable to move out to Australia with you? Things go wrong in life all the time, of course you always hope it doesnt, but it makes sense to be prepared when you're dealing with a process (like your parents' migration) that will take a few years to achieve.

Britain DOES close its borders to expat husbands and wives and I urge you to look into it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11713544/Expat-families-torn-apart-by-UK-visa-requirements.html

Edited by Marisawright

Als, I never asked for your opinion of advice re mine and my husbands visa situation.

Fosh, you have asked for advice and have been given some very good advice by well meaning people. You might not like to hear what people are saying but why so touchy. Of course they don't know all your circumstances but they are trying to help you.

You sound like you know your own mind already so good luck to you.

metoo

Yes, but what if your parents fail their medicals and are unable to move out to Australia with you? Things go wrong in life all the time, it makes sense to be prepared when you're dealing with a process (like your parents' migration) that will take a few years to achieve.

Britain DOES close its borders to expat husbands and wives and I urge you to look into it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11713544/Expat-families-torn-apart-by-UK-visa-requirements.html

I agree with Marisawright on this one. If your OH is able to get British citizenship before you move to Australia this will make it far easier to return in the future should you want or need to for any reason. In order to get a spouse visa for the UK you either have to have a job earning £18k a year or have over £65k in savings and this is just as likely to increase with time. While this might not be an issue for you now circumstances change and it could be an issue in future. If your OH can get British citizenship you will not have to worry about getting a visa for him to come back should you want to. My Australian OH took out British citizenship after 12 years in the UK for precisely this reason and at that point it was much easier to get a spouse visa. If your Oh is not eligible for British citizenship then you will just have to take your chances on the visa thing.

I'd echo the advice to get your husband's citizenship sorted before leaving the UK. Many people who habe left the UK in similar situations are now finding they can't go back - the basic financial requirements are pretty stringent - unlike Australia. Approx £62,000 in savings, or the british partner having a job paying £18,500 p a to go to IIRC.Its not a closed border for spouses, but ts a pretty high wall to climb over.

Yes, but what if your parents fail their medicals and are unable to move out to Australia with you? Things go wrong in life all the time, of course you always hope it doesnt, but it makes sense to be prepared when you're dealing with a process (like your parents' migration) that will take a few years to achieve.

Well then we will just have to seek asylum like everyone else in the UK! please stop commenting on mine and my husbands visa situation. It's not my reason re this post.

Thanks so much for all your comments...well maybe not all. There seems to be a few people that have a bit of a jealous nature unfortunately, majority of the comments are helpful - thankyou to those of you of whom have a genuine nature to help and not judge.

I have just read through this thread, and I don't see any posts "of a jealous nature". If some people are posting about the downsides, it's to ensure your parents have the full picture of what's involved. I don't see anyone being rude or mean.

Reading your responses,it sounds like you want people to give you reasons to help you persuade your parents come what may - you don't want to even hear about the potential negatives. That's hardly fair on your parents, is it? There are positives and negatives about any migration and the most successful migrants are the ones who are prepared for both.

Edited by Marisawright

I fear there may be a tad of naïveté there. Good to know that your parents have lots of cash - they will need it, their first $100k will go in their visa so it's reassuring to know they will have that under control. If your brother has been a PR for 2 years he will probably be better to apply to sponsor them because you won't be able to until you have been resident for 2 years. Millionaires won't have the same problems that most of us face!

Of course 50 isn't old but I venture to suggest that until you have been over 50 trying to crack a job in Aus then some reservations might be in order - agents will tell you anything but reality is a bit of a different ballgame. I'm not saying that finding work is impossible but there is a difference between "work" and developing a career in a foreign country, beginning at a time when many are just about to retire. Australia is very much the land of "who you know, not what you know" nudge nudge wink wink!

The biggest misconception is that your DH can just waltz back in to UK if you need it - perhaps the most important thing you need to do is to get his citizenship. As it stands, Immigraton couldn't give a toss if you are in a long standing relationship and are absolutely wonderful young people - if you, as the sponsor, are not earning £18.5k pa or have savings of £62.5k then he won't get a spouse visa as many young British women are discovering to their cost (on this and other expat forums!). It's citizenship he needs, not a visa. If he has UK ancestry (grandparents), at the moment an Ancestry visa is a possible working visa but who knows how long that will continue!

Well then we will just have to seek asylum like everyone else in the UK! please stop commenting on mine and my husbands visa situation. It's not my reason re this post.

We are trying to help you think ahead, thats all.

And although sometimes Australia seems like hell, there's no way the UK would grant your husband asylum from it! Its a pretty tough country to get into, believe it or not!

I have just read through this thread, and I don't see any posts "of a jealous nature". If some people are posting about the downsides, it's to ensure your parents have the full picture of what's involved. I don't see anyone being rude or mean.

Reading your responses,it sounds like you want people to give you reasons to help you persuade your parents come what may - you don't want to even think about the potential negatives. That's hardly fair on your parents, is it?

Marisa. Saying people at 50 are old is stupidity. People at 50 are not old. I was looking for some constructive advice. Not petty responses. Please waste your time posting on another site like mums net which you seem to perfectly fit.

Thanks

Marisa. Saying people at 50 are old is stupidity. People at 50 are not old. I was looking for some constructive advice. Not petty responses. Please waste your time posting on another site like mums net which you seem to perfectly fit.

Thanks

I am 62 years old myself. Fifty is not old, but it's an age when people are starting to plan for their old age and that's what I meant, I admit it was badly worded. Insults are not necessary and not welcome on this forum.

I never said I was granted a visa solely on my husband being australian, I was simply explaining my husband is australian and that my visa was not a working visa. I am on my second stage I applied for my visa 3 years ago.

In your opening post, you said you were granted citizenship ...

i was granted citizenship to australia this year, as my husband is australian, we currently live up north in the UK in the same village as my family.

Since this isn't typically how it works (obtaining citizenship), some posters were asking about this.

This is a public forum and often people will offer helpful advice if they think it is useful, such as the fact that your husband may not easily be able to return to the UK without taking advantage of getting citizenship now. If you don't want helpful advice, you can simply ignore it.

You asked people to provide input about starting over after age 50 and about getting jobs. Posters have responded based on their experience - some have noticed age being an issue and others haven't. You can compare your parents to these experiences and take from it what you think will help them.

Hallo Fosh.

I've been posting on this forum for several years now, and have always tried to respond to requests for info / advice if the request is an area that I believe I have some information or understanding of. This being the case, I answered your request (taking time to do so when I was actually supposed to be getting ready to go to work). If I have offended you with my would-be helpful reply then I am very sorry, such offence was totally unintended.

However, something you are perhaps unaware of is that people on this forum are for the most part very helpful and keen to share the knowledge they have accrued - often people are aware of different bits of the migration puzzle. If a post seems abrupt, it can be because the poster is trying to list everything they have thought of, perhaps quickly. Perhaps you could have mentioned on your original post that you only wanted to know about jobs and that you already have all the other information you need.

I have certainly never seen a poster offer such rudeness instead of the customary 'thanks everyone' at the end. Why so touchy? We're a friendly bunch on here and nobody would set out to cause you distress. On the contrary I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to make posts of 'a jealous nature' because we are all far too busy for such pettiness!

My last piece of advice is this - Think before you post.

Good luck.

Edited by Fisher1

And it gets worse: with one child the sponsor must be earning £22,400...and the requirement increases by £2400 for each extra child.

Yes, but as has been said, it is a non-issue for the OP as they have a lot of money to meet any potential financial requirement placed by the UK government on non-EU migrants and they will not be returning to the UK under any circumstances anyway.

Any such advice however well-meaning is unwelcome and best directed to other posters.

Als, I never asked for your opinion of advice re mine and my husbands visa situation.

It may be best if you pay for the advice of a registered migration agent to gain the advice you require and subsequent assistance with the visa process. Our members aren't professionals, but have all been through a visa process including the parent visa. We have one or two members who have a keen interest in migration/visa's and make a point of trying to be up to date, they don't profess to be professionals, but their information is usually reasonably solid and provides a great starting point for would be migrants. All members on here offer their support and any knowledge because they want to and not because they have to, but it's important to remember that asking anything on an open forum opens up to lots of different experiences/information which may or may not validate what you want the answer to be. In our forum rules, the first section is forum etiquette with the first rule being: Thank you goes a long way - If someone has taken the time to discuss, and share their experiences with you then please be appreciative of that and thank them accordingly.

Wishing you luck in the process of getting your parents to Aus, I hope it all runs smoothly.